Forums / Discussion / General

232,894 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Amazing Quotes

Last posted Nov 29, 2014 at 06:47PM EST. Added Nov 13, 2014 at 10:49PM EST
46 posts from 37 users

Soooooo, post quotes! Not too complicated. Try to make them really good and deep and not basic ambiguous white girl shit you find on every other Instagram post and at public school to stroke your ego when it really does nothing like "Believe in yourself and try your best so anything can happen!" No, fuck those quotes, I'm talking about serious stuff that maybe changed your worldview into what it is today or just reinforces it. One other rule, please don't badger people about where a quote actually came from. Feel free to politely point it along with your actual post or something, but don't post just to tell people where a quote really came from for no reason. This thread focuses on the content and power of the quotes themselves, regardless of who they came from. A quote doesn't need to be from Shakespeare or some other author to mean something.

Well, I have a lot I've sort of kept in mind over the years. Like half of them are from Mark Twain, because he's absolutely amazing. Some might not be, but as I said above, I don't care, still good quotes.

"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?" ~Gandalf (FotR movie)
"We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing… the only thing I was good at. But… at least I always fought for what I believed in." ~Gray Fox (MGS1)
"We never talked about our personal lives. Sort of an unwritten rule. The next time I saw him on the battlefield we were enemies. We were fighting bare-handed in a mine-field. I know it sounds strange to most people, but we were just soldiers doing our jobs. It's like a sport" ~Solid Snake (MGS1)
"When I do good I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That is my religion."
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"
"A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time"
"Its name is Public Opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles everything. Some think it is the voice of god"
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"
"A sword wields no strength unless the one that holds it has courage" ~Skeleton dude (Zelda: TP)
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured" ~Most definitely Mark Twain
"War does not determine who is right, only who is left"
"Older men declare war, but it is the youth that must fight and die"
"All wars are civil wars since all men are brothers"
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons"
"War is what happens when language fails"
"There is no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war except its ending"
"The people shouldn't fear the government, the government should fear the people" ~my 11th grade English teacher

Lol, I know, lots of war quotes, but those are usually the most powerful, you know? Also, left the ones un-cited that I had no clue who it came from or was unsure of. I only cited what I knew for sure to avoid looking dumb. Lots of them are said to come from Mark Twain though as I said.

Last edited Nov 13, 2014 at 11:09PM EST

" Tehre is noh time to beh lohst!

Batul Brothas!

Spehss Mahrens, todeh the enemeh is at oua doar! We know oua duteh and we will do eet. We fight for our honor as Blod Rehvens, as SPESS MAHRENS, and we fight in the nehme of the Empra!

And if we die this deh we die in gloareh, we die heroes' deffs, but we shall not die, no! It is the enemeh who will tehste deff and defeat!

As you know! Moast of oua battle brothars are shtehtioned in SPEHSS, Pruhpeared to deep strike! Oua perimeter has been pruhpeared in the even dat oua enehmies should be so bald and so foolish. We have plehced numerous beacons, allowing for muhltiple, simuln-tehneous and devashtehting defensive deep strikes

The Codecks astartees nehmes this maneuvah Steel Rehn. We will descend upon the foe, we will ovawhelm them – we will leave none alive! Meanwhile oua ground fawses will ensue the full defense of oua headkwaters

We are the spehss mahrens! WE ARE THE EMPRA'S FUREH!"
-Indrick Boreale

Last edited Nov 14, 2014 at 10:30AM EST

I don't care if this is a buzzkill I am going to say this.

There are people who listen to quotes said by figures in the past no matter how validated it actually is and still believe in it. for e.g.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

-Benjamin Franklin

Even though that was not the original quote people still use it as a basis for morality. It is a big load of crap because according to it freedom > safety.

look, what i am trying to get at is just because someone quoted something that does not mean you should believe in it.

I agree with how the author of a quote shouldn't mean anhing and people shouldn't believe them just because of who said it, but personally, I agree with that. and it's not because Ben Franklin said it. I've had that opinion for while before I even knew about that quote at all. Well, that's just what I think. I totally agree with te part about gullibility and stuff though.

Slutty Sam wrote:

I agree with how the author of a quote shouldn't mean anhing and people shouldn't believe them just because of who said it, but personally, I agree with that. and it's not because Ben Franklin said it. I've had that opinion for while before I even knew about that quote at all. Well, that's just what I think. I totally agree with te part about gullibility and stuff though.

Freedom > safety

U srs

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." – John Cage

"The old idea of a composer suddenly having a terrific idea and sitting up all night to write it is nonsense. Night time is for sleeping." – Benjamin Britten

DCS WORLD wrote:

Freedom > safety

U srs

Yes I am. I feel that unnecessary safety measures like privacy invasions such as the NSA and the ridiculous airport security and basically the entire patriot act. Of course some freedom must be sacrificed for some safety which is why government exists and without it there would be anarchy, but personally, I'd rather be dead than have no freedom and be completely "safe". That's just me though. Overall, freedom is more important than having an overabundance of safety. I believe this on a national level and even on a small one such as in parenting and at school. I think people doing mostly what they want is better than having people breathing down your neck for "safety reasons".

Again, just me, I respect your opinion, and try not to derail this too much.

"once you start looking at the world rationally, it becomes more exiting"
~Robin ince
"everybody's a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree; it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
~Albert einstien
"whenever you walk, the whole universe walks with you; it will work with you better when you become consciously aware of it"
~Srinivas Arka
"happiness is the only good, the time to be happy is now, the place to be happy is here, the way to be happy is to make others so"
~Robert G. ingersoll
"who is more humble? the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever it has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truith and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved"
~Carl sagan
And now for my favorite!
"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses"
~Aristotle

Last edited Nov 15, 2014 at 12:33AM EST

The Book of Amos, my favorite part of the Old Testament (except for the bits of Daniel, Chronicles, and Ezra that talk about how awesome the Persians are, of course :P), has some jaw droppingly powerful verses about wealth disparity, corruption and false piety.

Amos 4:1-3
Hear this word, you cows of Bashan on Mount Samaria,
you women who oppress the poor and crush the needy
and say to your husbands, “Bring us some drinks!”
2 The Sovereign Lord has sworn by his holiness:
“The time will surely come
when you will be taken away with hooks,
the last of you with fishhooks.[a]
3 You will each go straight out
through breaches in the wall,
and you will be cast out toward Harmon,[b]”
declares the Lord.

Amos 5:21-24
21 “I hate, I despise your religious festivals;
your assemblies are a stench to me.
22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.
23 Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.
24 But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Utopia is over the horizon. I walk two steps, she stays away two steps. I walk ten steps and the horizon stays away ten steps. As far I walked, I never gonna make it, then what's the purpose? It's for that: for walking.
Eduardo Galeano.

Although, this quote is attributed to the Argentinian filmmaker Fermando Birri.

The sportive, knightly battle awakens the best human characteristics. It doesn't separate, but unites the combatants in understanding and respect. It also helps to connect the countries in the spirit of peace. That's why the Olympic Flame should never die.

--Adolf Hitler

When the green light shines down on the black guys in the band everybody in the audience thinks they're seeing something that looks like it's made out of fish skin.

-Frank Zappa

I hate conservatives, but I really fucking hate liberals.

-Matt Stone

Last edited Nov 18, 2014 at 04:48PM EST

i found this today and i am already in love with it is a shame that the creator just post one or two per year
the name of the webcomics is gone with the blastwave

Last edited Nov 20, 2014 at 01:17PM EST

You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind. Men have this idea that we can fight with dignity, that there's a proper way to kill someone. It's absurd. It's anaesthetic; we need it to endure the bloody horror of murder. You must destroy that idea. Show them what a messy, terrible thing it is to kill a man, and then show them that you relish in it. Shoot to wound, then execute the wounded. Burn them. Take them in close combat. Destroy their preconceptions of what a man is and you become their personal monster. When they fear you, you become stronger. You become better. But let's never forget: it's a display, it's a posture, like a lion's roar or a gorilla thumping at its chest. If you lose yourself in the display, if you succumb to the horror, then you become the monster. You become reduced; not more than a man, but less--and it can be fatal.
-Jackal far cry 2

"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

“I’ve been through all this before,’ he says to his heart.
“ ‘Yes, you have been through all this before,’ replies his heart. ‘But you have never been beyond it.”
― Paulo Coelho, Warrior of the Light

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact… same fucking thing… over and over again expecting… shit to change… That. Is. Crazy. The first time somebody told me that, I dunno, I thought they were bullshitting me, so, I shot him. The thing is… He was right. And then I started seeing, everywhere I looked, everywhere I looked all these fucking pricks, everywhere I looked, doing the exact same fucking thing… over and over and over and over again thinking 'this time is gonna be different' no, no, no please… This time is gonna be different, I'm sorry, I don't like… The way… you are looking at me… Okay, Do you have a fucking problem in your head, do you think I am bullshitting you, do you think I am lying? Fuck you! Okay? Fuck you!… It's okay, man. I'm gonna chill, hermano. I'm gonna chill… The thing is… Alright, the thing is I killed you once already… and it's not like I am fucking crazy. It's okay… It's like water under the bridge. Did I ever tell you the definition… of insanity?
-Vass Far Cry 3

I'll take a potato chip; and eat it!
-Light Yagami Death Note

This world is rotten, and those who are making it rot deserve to die. Someone has to do it, so why not me? Even if it means sacrificing my own mind and soul, it's worth it. Because the world… can't go on like this. I wonder… what if someone else had picked up this notebook? Is there anyone out there other than me who'd be willing to eliminate the vermin from the world? If I don't do it, then who will? That's just it: there's no one. But I can do it. In fact, I'm the only one who can. I'll do it. Using the Death Note, I'll change the world.
-Light Yagami Death Note

"You mortals are like wasps. You build your lives/nests from the slimmest of branches, and when the wind shakes your home/life free, you seek to sting the wind to death. Instead of realizing your foolish mistakes, attempting to repair the damage you have caused yourselves, and learning from your experience, you bring harm to any who have the misfortune to blunder near you in your time of pain and distress. My advice to you – and to all mortals: Stop acting like an insect and start acting sentient."
Q – Planescape:Torment

"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it."

-E.B. White

I want this quote at the top of the Know Your Meme "about" page.

With the fall of Coruscant and the elimination of the traitorous Jedi, Palpatine's rise to power was complete. In recognition of our service and loyalty to the Emperor, the 501st were placed under the direct command of Lord Vader. Armed with deadly new weapons, blazing new ships, and shiny new armor, our presence let the galaxy know that the days of the Old Republic were well and truly over. We were establishing a new era, an era of order and peace.
-unnamed 501st clone trooper battlefront 2

"I’m happy to tell you there is very little in this world that I believe in. Listening to the comedians who comment on political, social, and cultural issues, I notice most of their material reflects an underlying belief that somehow things were better once and that with just a little effort we could set them right again. They’re looking for solutions, and rooting for particular results, and I think that necessarily limits the tone and substance of what they say. They’re talented and funny people, but they’re nothing more than cheerleaders attached to a specific, wished-for outcome.

I don’t feel so confined. I frankly don’t give a fuck how it all turns out in this country--or anywhere else, for that matter. I think the human game was up a long time ago (when the high priests and traders took over), and now we’re just playing out the string. And that is, of course, precisely what I find so amusing: the slow circling of the drain by a once promising species, and the sappy, ever-more-desperate belief in this country that there is actually some sort of “American Dream, “ which has merely been misplaced.

The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you are emotionally detached from it. I have always viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don’t belong; it doesn’t include me, it never has. Now matter how you care to define it, I do not identify with the local group. Planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it. I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.

So, if you read something in this book that sounds like advocacy of a particular political point of view, please reject the notion. My interest in “issues” is merely to point out how badly we’re doing, not to suggest a way we might do better. Don’t confuse me with those who cling to hope. I enjoy describing how things are, I have no interest how they “ought to be.” And I certainly have no interest in fixing them. I sincerely believe that if you think there’s a solution, you’re part of the problem. My motto: Fuck Hope!

P.S. Lest you wonder, personally, I am a joyful individual with a long, happy marriage and a close and loving family. My career has turned out better than I ever dreamed, and it continues to expand. I am a personal optimist but a skeptic about all else. What may sound to some like anger is really nothing more than sympathetic contempt. I view my species with a combination of wonder and pity, and I root for its destruction. And please don’t confuse my point of view with cynicism; the real cynics are the ones who tell you everything’s gonna be all right.

P.P.S. By the way, if, by some chance, you folks do manage to straighten things out and make everything better, I still don’t wish to be included.”

-George Carlin, from the preface to Brain Droppings

This one from SCP-1281. It doesn't really has any day to day appliaction, but It's beautiful and few things fill me with such a powerful feeling as reading this:

"We will be dead when it reaches you. Our planet is dying. We do not have time to save ourselves. We only have time to ready ourselves, and to send a message.

"We have seen the signals from those who came before us. They were different, and we still don't really understand them. But if there were those who came before, there may be those who come after. It is in this hope that our harbingers travel.

"One has found you and learned your language so it can relay this message. Please listen.
The galaxy is dark, and empty, and cold. It spins inevitably toward death. You will die too, one day. Perhaps you will have longer than we have. We hope so. But one day you too must vanish.

"Until that time, you must light the darkness. You must make the night less empty. We are all small, and the universe is vast. But a universe with voices saying "I am here" is far greater than a universe silent. One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.

"And when your time is passing, please send this message on, so the next voice can speak against the darkness."

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!