Forums / Discussion / General

232,595 total conversations in 7,777 threads

+ New Thread

What exactly is wrong with otakus and things similar in nature?

Last posted Nov 27, 2014 at 09:29AM EST. Added Nov 26, 2014 at 03:01AM EST
26 posts from 18 users

I suppose that just Otaku is a pretty general term so I should clarify the specific aspects I am talking about. I am referring to the people who are generally in love with anime to the point of obsession and people who have develop genuine romantic relations with dating sim games and 2D characters.
I can understand why people assume it is pathetic, you have a person who would rather collect items and form relationships with fictional characters compared to real people but at the same time I can't really blame them. I think everyone knows that humans can be cruel and some have faced cruelty more than others. I can see quite clearly why people who have faced cruelty, been worked to death, or worse would retreat into a fantasy world, I think everyone has retreated into some kind of fantasy at one point or another either through stress or just for fun. I can understand wanting the people who are damaging their health via this obsession, such as avoiding sleep and eating, but if a person is taking care of themselves, and they are happy retreating into an anime fantasy world at their home, what is the problem?

Japan's economic problems are likely not completely related to this phenomenon but it may also cause it itself because its making people overwork and thus not have time to form human relationships. I think America would run into a similar problem if people were required to work long periods of time. I remember hearing about a creator of one video game being so overworked and stressed out that he was actually given a limited period of time to live because of his health. I can't imagine being worked that hard and being able to handle anything, I mean even eating and sleeping might be pushed aside.

tl;dr. If a person is keeping themselves healthy, and are happy to retreat into a fantasy world and aren't harming anyone, why is that a problem?

Ah, but are they aware that it's fantasy? Do they act like it's fantasy? There enlies the issue. Sure, in most (if not virtually all) cases it doesn't really harm someone else, but if you're showing off big red flags of being a nutcase from not acknowledging the difference between fiction and reality you'll attract at least some form of attention from the people who observe that behavior over the internet, anywhere between hatred and sympathy. Of course, most of these people are not licensed to diagnose mental illness, but you have to acknowledge that it's there at least once and a while.
In other words, just don't be fucking crazy and you're a-ok with me.

For most of them there is nothing wrong with them, they can just be overbearing and obnoxious. Most people don't like them because they can be really irritating and very childish. To me it's fine to "geek out" quite a lot, just it's when they don't understand no one else is interested/not as interested as they are.

Enough has already been said about the people who damage themselves and others so I don't need to write a paragraph about how those people are bad.

TripleA9000 wrote:

Otakus tend to take it way to far. Doing shit like yelling out anime phrases in real life at the top of lungs. Just general awkward annoying shit.

I think you're kinda over exaggerating here, by a lot.

Sure, those exist, but it's not like being an otaku automatically means you'll bluntly make a fool out of yourself in public. Otaku, by definition, means someone has obsessive interests commonly in the manga or anime fandom. Having an obsessive interest =/= losing all common sense of normal public behavior.

Last edited Nov 26, 2014 at 01:15PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

I think you're kinda over exaggerating here, by a lot.

Sure, those exist, but it's not like being an otaku automatically means you'll bluntly make a fool out of yourself in public. Otaku, by definition, means someone has obsessive interests commonly in the manga or anime fandom. Having an obsessive interest =/= losing all common sense of normal public behavior.

You do realise that "otaku" is in an insulting term in japan?

Well, by definition, otakus are a description to someone who is overly-obsessive with something. In Japan, there are different type of otakus, such as train otakus, ship otakus, etc.
But outside of Japan, most people use it as someone who is obsessively interested in Japan-related things.

It's slightly like the situation with the nerd/geek culture during a few decades ago. I'll probably elaborate more if anyone don't understand. But maybe even the meaning of Otaku will change over time.

I guess I'll sum up my thoughts with my new life motto since two weeks:

"Do what you wanna,
Do what you will.
Just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill." -Frank Zappa

In other words, if they don't bother others with it, who gives a shit?

I can see how people think it's 'pathetic' or something, but if they are happy with their lives, then who are you to judge that?

You can change your life so that others think better of you, but if you are happier with being a weirdo, why would you?

Ticklechap Crispybottom wrote:

I guess I'll sum up my thoughts with my new life motto since two weeks:

"Do what you wanna,
Do what you will.
Just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill." -Frank Zappa

In other words, if they don't bother others with it, who gives a shit?

I can see how people think it's 'pathetic' or something, but if they are happy with their lives, then who are you to judge that?

You can change your life so that others think better of you, but if you are happier with being a weirdo, why would you?

I think the reason why people don't like otakus is because of how cringeworthy cosplayers are.They look at one and all they feel is PAIN.

I guess because most of these sub-cultures try either to shove their beliefs down your throat or drag you in telling you it's the best thing ever, that's why I assume lot of people loathe them, in my case, I love talking about anime but when the other person starts obsessing over certain things and gets offended because they detect a minimal drop of criticism from my part it gets obnoxious and awkard, honestly I see no problem as long as they're happy and it doesn't affect me, and it's getting more and more common, I wouldn't be surprised if people in about 10-20 years from now will actually be able to interact and legally marry an anime character, even if it sounds creepy.

That's just my opinion, anyway.

DCS WORLD wrote:

We should also mention that weaboos get mocked for marrying fictional characters.

Tbh, anyone would get mocked for marrying something that is not a real person. You're trying too hard here to make otakus stand out.

I think the reason why people don’t like otakus is because of how cringeworthy cosplayers are.They look at one and all they feel is PAIN.

You should really educate yourself a bit more in subcultures, because that statement is some big load of bull. Just because there is cringeworthy cosplay, doesn’t mean cosplay in general is cringeworthy. Research stuff a bit before judging it.

Last edited Nov 26, 2014 at 07:26PM EST

My problem with otakus is just how overbearing they are. Any fandom that doesn't allow you to ever spend even a day away from them and will nkt stop telling you that you need to like what they like pisses me off. People who evangelise things they like overall make the thing in question less appealing to me just because everyone's shoving it down my throat and keep talking about how amazing it is.

How many people are even aware of Japan's economic issues or the fact that its citizens are overworked as a result? Now how many people insult otaku? I'm petty sure that one answer will be higher than the other

DCS WORLD wrote:

You do realise that "otaku" is in an insulting term in japan?

And "fag" means a cigarette and/or a bundle of sticks in the UK, what's your point?

I think the reason why people don’t like otakus is because of how cringeworthy cosplayers are.They look at one and all they feel is PAIN.

Thanks for calling my hobby cringeworthy and claiming it's the reason people hate otakus. I'm sure this argument is based off of heavy research and statistical proof.

I feel like a lot of people here are being a tad too overgeneralizing with otaku culture. There is quite the wide spectrum between "person that really likes anime and owns a few pieces of merchandise" to "person that does nothing but watch anime and holds no human relationships". And I don't think it's really any of our business to be harsh or judgmental to even the most unhealthily obsessed otaku. They are all just strangers on the internet, after all. Live and let live.

I do find it interesting that this thread popped up just after the ME!ME!ME! article was posted.

Last edited Nov 27, 2014 at 12:34AM EST

@crimson locks

Holy shit, that's why people say OP is a bundle of sticks?!?
I finally get that.

Anyways, as with virtually anything, its ok to like something a lot. It's not ok to be obsessed to the point where its harming you.

Crimson Locks wrote:

And "fag" means a cigarette and/or a bundle of sticks in the UK, what's your point?

Thanks for calling my hobby cringeworthy and claiming it's the reason people hate otakus. I'm sure this argument is based off of heavy research and statistical proof.

I feel like a lot of people here are being a tad too overgeneralizing with otaku culture. There is quite the wide spectrum between "person that really likes anime and owns a few pieces of merchandise" to "person that does nothing but watch anime and holds no human relationships". And I don't think it's really any of our business to be harsh or judgmental to even the most unhealthily obsessed otaku. They are all just strangers on the internet, after all. Live and let live.

I do find it interesting that this thread popped up just after the ME!ME!ME! article was posted.

Well I asked because of ME!ME!ME! because it's message appears to be one of obsession. It made me think and do a bit of research and I still believe that people should be responsible for their own actions and people should respect that, they don't have to like it and they can try an get the person to stop but they shouldn't be using mocking tactics to try and get them to stop.

@MorningSTAR
Well Japan working its people to death then insulting them when they try to retreat inward seems really stupid. It is almost like an alcohol addiction, people use it to escape pain and stress at first, then become addicted and are insulted and mocked by the people around them only encouraging that behavior. If they want Otaku's to stop they need to stop putting so much pressure and stress and start encouraging them to be better and to stay with friends, but right now they are just encouraging this behavior by making them outcasts.

To me it sounds like people are generalizing all of them based on one or two people. I honestly really don't care if they want to obsess over animes or even "marry" a cartoon, its their choice and they should accept the consequences. It seems more and more societies have just given up letting people just be responsible for their own health and behaviors and just forcing them to obey what they want.

I can't imagine insulting otakus is going to do anything, if anything it might just make more people do it since they are focusing on the outcomes and not the problems. I would say they are just lucky people aren't killing themselves, then Japan would really be in deep shit. even if they shut themselves in they might still find some jobs on the internet like video editing or website management.

TripleA9000 wrote:

Otakus tend to take it way to far. Doing shit like yelling out anime phrases in real life at the top of lungs. Just general awkward annoying shit.

I mutter "yare yare daze" under my breath a lot, does that count?

Probably because socieity, at least in the western world, having a social life is so important that people tend to say that ''you have no life'' like if one's social life literally meant everything.

I also have few to no interactions with humans, but not because i'm an otaku, it's because i'm an extremely misanthopic nihilist, and i get the same looks and reactions that my japan-obsessed acquaintances get from most people .

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!