Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Greenpeace fuck it up

Last posted Dec 21, 2014 at 01:02AM EST. Added Dec 13, 2014 at 12:54AM EST
20 posts from 16 users

Yes, what you're seeing its real. They damaged an UNESCO relic just for an "enviroment message"

Commonly, I have respect for Greenpeace. Unlike PETA , they do ahve done some serius work agaisn't really dangerous companies and safed many in danger animals.

But whoever was in charge of this stunt really fucked it up. Looks like main Greepeace leaders are trying to apologize but the damage is done. This is really fucking sad

There purpose is completely legitimate but easily overshadowed by how shitly they execute it.
This is hilariously ironic to me

On another note I didn't know the Nazca lines (well that specific one) were so small, Then again I've never seen a picture of them being crowded by a horde of retards.

Dabiddo - Kun wrote:

…so, where did they ruin the nazca lines?

Although they didn't cross the lines themselves, the area surrounding the lines is still sacred to the Peruvians and they did stomp all over that.

You also need special permission to even reach the area, and from the sounds of things they didn't get that permission, so for the Peruvian government this was the equivalent of Greenpeace waving their dicks in their faces

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Nothing says "we respect and honor this great ancient culture" like meaningless slogans written in horrifyingly ugly neon yellow.

I know Neon yellow, its slightly greenish and fluorescent. That is NOT neon Yellow.

Even if it was they should have defaced the Nazca Lines like that. What were they thinking?

I can imaging them being seen as hypocrites over the nest couple weeks

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Nothing says "we respect and honor this great ancient culture" like meaningless slogans written in horrifyingly ugly neon yellow.

They could've made it white to blend in, or at least move it further away.

Something tells me this wasn't a very planned out protest…

"You know what will make people respect the environment more and aid our cause? Lets shit all over ancient and traditional religions of Peru and deface a cultural landmark, angering Peru's people and government. That'll gain us favor!"

The amount of retardation with some environmentalists makes this all the more tragic. If people want a clean earth, no one has much of a problem, but defacing world wonders and trampling on sacred ground for your stupid political message? Petty.

i like how everyone is angered about people who didn't really do any damage. yes the nazcar lines are unesco relics, however they took all measures possible not to harm them. and they didn't. this "line that they have destroyed", which is supposed to be "the most visible and recognized of all" is a very vague descripiton of what they have destroyed. officials get angry at any unheralded protest, the fact that it happened there only gave them the opportunity to inflate the whole story into ridiculousness.
and now that is used to discredit greenpeace's message, the result of the UN negtiations is in fact ridiculous.
sure that wasn't very smart or well thought through, they wanted to benefit from the illustriousness of the hummingbird and the status as UNESCO site, without thinking about that might look from another point of view.
but oh well, enjoy your anti-greenpeace agitprop circlyjerk.

Dabiddo - Kun wrote:

i like how everyone is angered about people who didn't really do any damage. yes the nazcar lines are unesco relics, however they took all measures possible not to harm them. and they didn't. this "line that they have destroyed", which is supposed to be "the most visible and recognized of all" is a very vague descripiton of what they have destroyed. officials get angry at any unheralded protest, the fact that it happened there only gave them the opportunity to inflate the whole story into ridiculousness.
and now that is used to discredit greenpeace's message, the result of the UN negtiations is in fact ridiculous.
sure that wasn't very smart or well thought through, they wanted to benefit from the illustriousness of the hummingbird and the status as UNESCO site, without thinking about that might look from another point of view.
but oh well, enjoy your anti-greenpeace agitprop circlyjerk.

Is still a mayor disrespect to a whole country and civilization.

Is like you go to Stonehenge and you stick a letter saying "Smoking is bad for you" in one of the stones.

Is the message good? Thats up to the eye of the beholder
Is the the action of that good? No fucking way

Thrash95 wrote:

Is still a mayor disrespect to a whole country and civilization.

Is like you go to Stonehenge and you stick a letter saying "Smoking is bad for you" in one of the stones.

Is the message good? Thats up to the eye of the beholder
Is the the action of that good? No fucking way

that's a flawed comparison, it'd be more like walking to stonehenge and having a picnic there without ever touching the stones. the english government tried to prohibit visitors to the site in the 90s, but inevitably came to the conclusion that excluding the public from a place like that didn't make sense.
maybe all artists and protesters should be banned from the domplatte in cologne, because they also "place ads" and "desecrate" a sacred place?
the peruvian government can prohibit all they want, but making such a fuss over it, calling it "desecrating" although the nazcar culture is long gone and pretending that it was even worse because of the fact that it was an "ad" is pretty ridiculous. this was a protest, not some advertisement for a profit-oriented company, this smear campaign is petty, not greenpeace.

Not even presidents or diplomats are allowed to walk even near there without special permission and special footwear, so I'm absolutely baffled as to why someone at Greenpeace thought it was OK… Who didn't do their research huh?!

I've always supported Greenpeace and their causes in the past, but this… this is just disgusting… destroying history :(

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!