Forums / Discussion / General

232,630 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

what do you think of the KYM community?

Last posted Mar 05, 2015 at 01:41AM EST. Added Jan 13, 2015 at 05:31PM EST
61 posts from 50 users

A lot of people say it is shit, and I always see people leaving because they think it has gone downhill.
Am I the only one here who has almost no problems with KYM? Maybe its because I am not as active as many users, but if you don't take it too seriously, Its pretty hard to get mad.

But anyways, what are your thoughts on the KYM community?

Last edited Jan 13, 2015 at 05:55PM EST

I mostly agree with you! :D

Though I have a love-hate relationship with how lewd people can be. Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's gross. And the stuff people say on Riff Raff (though now I now they're just joking) can be a bit much. And the comment section gets douchey at times…

But I still like KYM, and I still think that it's not as bad as people say it is.

Last edited Jan 13, 2015 at 05:51PM EST

Beh. some people want to be melodramatic. The same things happen with Videogames, sports, wrestling, music ,etc. One second they feel in "strange waters" they over-react.

For example, I've seen many of KYM users because "supporting shitty memes or creating shitty memes aka the goat". To this I say: we're still a community, with forum and all. Just because we arent an image board per se doesn't mean we're kinda like 4chan/8chan in many ways. So when a community like this is formed, things like "The Goat" or the recently "Don" memes are going to happen, not matter what no matter who dislike it or like it.

About Riff-Raff…..C'mon people, its Riff-Raff. Is not as heavy leveled as /b because the rules of the website (we're good boys, aren't we :D), but is the place where people can express their inner shitposter.

Its not like we really mean that KYM is Cancer, right?

It isn't even bad, if this forum is too much for you to handle then you're a scrub and have too much time on your hands. Reading those venting threads is a hilarious past time, like ffs people take it easy.

The KYM forums are way ahead of the standard in terms of user age, maturity, levels of drama, and general easygoing attitude. Other than an incurable infatuation with memes (which should be pretty self-explanatory), I don;t really see why people call it so shitty. Or maybe I'm just so jaded from Reddit and 4chan to see why. Just avoid anything to do with the facebook comments. Or feminism. Or tumblr.

Last edited Jan 13, 2015 at 06:32PM EST

I though it was alright when I first joined. And after a while, I noticed that it has great things, but major flaws. I stayed away from the forums for the first year of my me here because I heard of a lot of bad things that happen here. After deciding to dice into the so-called lake of fire, I found it's actually more moderate, but over shadowed by all the shit in Riff--Raff.

But that's just my point of view.

Last edited Jan 13, 2015 at 08:15PM EST

While it could use improving, overall I like the community here a lot more than anywhere else. My view on the problems the community has is not to pack up and leave at the first sign of a mess, the answer in my eyes is to work towards fixing these problems. It's just a meme-site, those who leave because the community is annoying them are taking everything a bit too seriously. Then again, that's my personality. I've always been a fighter and my will is stronger than most, and I'm a chronic idealist as well as an optimist so I see a problem and think of how it could and will get better. Every issue people have can be fixed through communication. Often the reason problems stay on KYM is a lack of communication. That's why there's somewhat of a rift in the community. All of it is because of communication. It's really that simple most of the time.

The forums are fine.
The comments I feel are usually where the general dislike comes from, I think we've had a discussion about it before between the sort of division between forum goers and commentators.
I feel like it's pretty easy to fall into a dislike toward certain users, if you let it get to you, based around their comments or forum posts. I know I have a couple of times but eventually I just let it go because I'm not really going to gain anything out it. Sure I don't think I'd be best buddies with them, but I can just respect their opinion either way, especially when I strongly disagree or want to call them out on it. It's probably why I have commented less and less over the years, and find myself posting on the forums more.
In short I feel like KYM is an okay community as long as you stick to places you feel comfortable posting in.

I really don't have a big beef with these forums or anyone in it. There's little problems but really I find this to be the best community on the interwebs as far as the good nature of the users and the general maturity when serious discussions are brought up. Right now I think my biggest problem is that everything feels like it's in a lull right now. Of course, not that much interesting stuff has been happening, and a lot of our users (including myself) are in college or high school. It just feels like all our discussions have to do with feminism and SJWs and everyone is just talking in circles. So I haven't felt like there's been much to contribute to discussion. Which is a shame, because feminism is one of my favorite subjects to discuss.

I really am sick and tired of the few users that keep going from thread to thread and feel the need to state how much they hate this site but decide that sitting around and complaining is a much better use of their time than just deactivating and finding something in their life they actually enjoy (seriously just read a book or something). There is no need to keep spreading your needless negativity around the site. It is only going to poison yourself and those around you. Please. Stop.

I fins this to be one of the more accepting and better websites I frequently visit. Most of the users are at least friendly or lovable douche bags. The trolling on this site can at least be dealt with and ignored thanks to a downvote function that most sites feature but don't even work at all (YouTube and any site that uses Disqus for comments). While it does have certain downsides it's still far from the worst community I've ever seen.

Honestly I think everyone in the fourms enjoys the site, even if they may say otherwise, because in reality, if someone hated a site, why would they go on their almost every day?

I personally enjoy the site, even if I may have had my ups and downs, but in the end the fourms community is great, and even if riff raff has some bad threads time to time, but it's good. I don't like the comment section, but it's easy to avoid, so that's ok.

After spending countless years in gaming communities, I find the KYM community to be rather warm and welcoming. Those 'communities' are filled with statwhores who will put down any one who has lower stats than him/herself or "X is OP/broken" people who will constantly stubbornly QQ about something in the games. Here and there you'll see some one who sincerely wan't to help other players or joined in to improve his/her gameplay, but not enough to balance out the total toxic the community is… Atleast joke-worshiping Stalin is fun

That being said, KYM is no perfect heaven either, but I feel that the KYM community (at least the forum and IRC section) are rather closely knitted compared to the other internet communities I've been in. I am still forming about my opinion on the mods though… Especially the use on suspension feature. I think that its a great tool for the mods, stronger than a verbal/text warning but not as serious as a kick or a ban, but due to all the joke suspends in the riff-raff, I don't think any one takes it serious.

Last edited Jan 14, 2015 at 04:48AM EST

The discussions on the General board are miles ahead if you look at how mature everyone is.
There are few forums out there that are this mature, although you wouldn't think that if you only ever visited Riff-Raff.

I think it's great actually, that the community here can be serious if they want, and act like idiots if they want.

People who leave the site because it's gone 'downhill' are being overdramatic, whether it's true or not.

One of the (if not) best communities on Internet, but Forums are better than comments.
Especially Serious Debate section. People here are one of the nicest here.

Harassment prevails in the irc circlejerk. Some people say they dislike me for the most baffling reasons. Mods can't take criticism.

And not enough know about military aviation.

(Dis bretty gud)

You guys are usually awesome. We all act like dicks to each other a lot, but that's just human nature, okay? We're talking about the standards of the internet here.
Speaking of which, the comment section here is one of the best around, and the the random hate for it continues to slightly annoy me. Whatever though.

Last edited Jan 14, 2015 at 11:56AM EST

I love the KYM community. Unlike tumblr and reddit I feel like I belong here instead of just being another account. Everyone here is great, and in 99% of the internet fights I see on here, it usually always end in the "agree to disagree" way. And we all are funny as fuck. I mainly use the main site, and am only now trying to use the forums more, but I don't see too much of a difference. As for the IRC, I don't know, I never use it. Maybe I'll do that soon too.

Last edited Jan 14, 2015 at 12:20PM EST

And on the comments, I think while there are problem, they're miles better than pretty much every other comment section out there. I can and often do find enjoyment in them. Personally I think people make them seem worse than they really are.

I shall rate this community using my fandom-rating system, by rating what I consider the three parts of a fandom (canon, in this case the actual website; fans, actual KYM community; and fanon, the creations of the community) individually on a 1-to-10 scale, then calculating the mean of those three scores to find the score of the overall fandom.

Canon: 10/10 Know Your Meme is a great website for its actual purpose. It is very informative and well managed. The mods are very dedicated and I respect that.

Fans: 8/10 The KYM community is full of interesting people, and I'm glad that I'm part of it. It is the first website where I felt like I made an impact. I never felt like that on Memebase, and I want to thank you guys for that. However, there is one small thing that keeps this score from being a 10.

Fanon: 6/10 I hate the KYMtheon. It is the single only thing that keeps this site from being perfect for me. You desperately try to give yourselves something to make this community unique, but you don't have to. Thankfully, the comments and forums aren't entirely cancerous and there is some legitimately funny content on this site, but I just can't ignore the KYMtheon, and for that I need to give the community's creations a rather low score.

Overall score: (10+8+6)/3 ≈ 8/10, 10/10 if it had no Don worshippers.

In the four and a half years i have been here, the community has mostly been up and down. I do understand we have lost a lot of awesome people over the years, but they tend to either be renewed as the demand comes or the older ones come out of the rock tumbler to become decent people.

I guess the reason why there is such a big divide amongst us is that the Forums and IRC is a Closed Circle Community, and the Comments are an Open Circle. The closed circle community has more stability and overall freindlyness than the Open Circle counterpart, where nearly everyone could get bored and never come back the next day or remain active without knowing literally anyone (And that mentality allows them to be dickfaces a lot of the time. Their investment in the community is so low they feel fine acting like a jerk or breaking the rules whenever they feel like it).

As far as overall community goes; Riff Raff and the Gamergate/SJW frustration has taken us for a Down Spike that we are only now starting to recover from (and that we might feel the effects of for months to come).

Not enough to make me leave.

Those of you who express dislike for the comment section, what exactly do you dislike about it? Is it just that the opinions expressed there differ from yours?

Sir Lurkmoore wrote:

Those of you who express dislike for the comment section, what exactly do you dislike about it? Is it just that the opinions expressed there differ from yours?

No, it's that the people there can just be dicks about expressing their opinions, regardless of whether they differ.

Last edited Jan 14, 2015 at 08:38PM EST

Most people I have seen are really nice and mature when discussing serious stuff, of course there is dumb people but I feel they're a really small minority, the documenting on confirmed entries is really well done, and the forums are nice to read, overall is a great site for me even though I'm not really that active, and the whole Don worshiping is really hilarious.

Sir Lurkmoore wrote:

Personally for me there's too much of a problem of users negging an opinion they don't agree with. Not to mention the ridiculous fights that break out sometimes. It discourages open discussion. Also it's just getting annoying that SJW hate and Gamergate wars are rampant. If it were because I didn't like hearing opinions different from mine then I wouldn't really like the forums either now would I? It's whatever though, I'm honestly done worrying about the comments sections.

Sir Lurkmoore wrote:

Mainly the group dislike system that seems to take place. One person disagrees with your comment, and dislikes. Then, a bunch of people who would normally just leave your comment alone down vote to join the bandwagon. I think this because none of them are willing to reply to tell you when you are wrong.

For example I attempted to argue in a recent picture that people can form their own opinions of art and the opinions of the artists doesn't matter. the message you see in art is just as true as the message the artist was thinking when they created it. That is one of the reasons art is such a wonderful thing! and I get down voted I guess because its wrong to form your own opinions of someone's art?

I could rant on about the things people do on the comments but it would be pointless since it would go on longer than any human's attention span could handle.

Its a checkpoint to get a briefing of what is going arround the internet. Used to live in this town but now i found some better places. Kind of fun to hang in certain parts of this town, made a bunch of friends . I ofthen just stay at times of flamewars, wich are fun and i "contribute", if stracting kektonite is considered contributing. Its maybe becouse i dont fit in this place as i used to.

i like it but theres problems
the good most people are not assholes and theres some but not many trolls at least compared to other sites
the bad: it feels like an echo chamber and if you have a different opinion people down vote you till no one sees your comment. like once i gave my opinion on my problems with attack on titan but instead of people diss cuing it withe me they just down voted me.

A year and half ago, I visited this place all days, because it was the first forum and the only one where I was suscribed. I remember when some people that I know here weren't mods, and there was less… trolls? Well, yeah, there was some trolls when I was here…

Today, I see it different, with different people, and different forums. I hear that this place is full of assholes, but meh, I don't care.

Hate it or love it. You choice.

The people here are nice, even though I don't interact much. You guys have good taste in video games and anime, which is probably the thing I like most. I can't compare the KYM forums to those of any other website, because I've never been on any other forums.

Generally, I can (barely) tolerate the shitposting and stupid-ass memes that arise from time to time. And if you ever do something particularly shitty (like that goddamn goat) I just take a short break and do something else. There's really no reason to deactivate.

…Wait a second, isn't there another part of this website that actually provides information and is for documenting internet phenomena? Or am I just crazy?

Imo the only thing that sours my time spent on this site is the comments section. Bury comments in downvotes that don't agree with yours why don't you. And I think the comment section can be awfully misogynistic at times. I don't use that word often but I definitely feel it's a befitting description for some of the comments I've seen.

Aside from that, I think KYM is a fine community. As a meme/news site, it's always up to date on current events, meaning there's always something to talk about and work on. There are multiple active users that are from around the world and I enjoy the thought that all of these people from different nations talk to one another and get together thanks to memes (and shitposting.)

I learned alot about myself and other people on this site. It really showed me how people with common sense could have a good time. I DONT KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ACTUALLY the KYM community as i saw it and i know i wasnt always around but i did care about the peoplE. I made a decision to join the military to help this country of mIne, which i dislike. And love at the same time. I fell the strangest need ti communicate with people for benefiting eachother as a whole. I never gave a fuck what country anyone was from or anything. I looked at this forum board with a blank slate, i somehow managed to enjoy using the forums and learning from everyone else. Alot of what i know about the internet is from this site. If it wasnt for kym i would have just got caught up in all the karma i was getting And be on some other douche site like reddit, which again i have no problems with but i feel people are so full of themselves and i can get egotisical myself some times and kym has helped me to not be ab asshole IRL. But thats just me. I know there are ALOT of differences on this site but as long as we work together in ALL areas can it truly be an online community.

I can agree with you guys here that while this place has no doubt its own ups and downs,
The people in this forum show that they can be (for the most part) more mature
then what most vocally dominate members of other online communities only say they would be,
And I really appreciate that the users here talk in the former way instead of the latter.

And to speak for myself as a homeschooled teenager spending most of my time just inside of a house for most of my sheltered life, having only my family talk to me in person, even though we're only connected by ones and zeros traveling miles upon miles though air waves and cable going from one computer to another, all going to a few machines in new york intended to host a website that documents mems like internet in-jokes and viral videos, I'm grateful to call you people my friends.

Also id have to add that everyone around me IRL at the time were all complete idiots and it felt right when i was in my right place. It really got me thinking that there actually were good people on the internet. Also since im "older" than the typical user i have never done this.

Last edited Jan 29, 2015 at 10:14PM EST

I've been a part of many internet communities in my time. Some good, some shit, and some in between. It all depended on what site I was on. Some were the perfect fit for great people, while others were practically made solely to house less-than-ideal members.

Is KYM's community the best one I've been a part of? No. But it's far from the worst.
If I have any problem with the community, it's the community's willingness to attack itself so easily. "Riff-Raff is awful" "Comments are awful" "IRC is awful" and everything else gets said too often for a community that, while by no means perfect, is far better than the average website group. The maturity level of the members varies, but is overall better than what you'd find on most mainstream sites. There's arguments on a lot of stupid things, but they get resolved in constructive ways most of the time. And plenty of people here know how to have fun, which is a dying skill in many websites these days.

That I'm willing to waste my free time here and not do something productive with my life should be enough a reason for me to say the community is more or less good.

I haven't been a part of this userbase for a long time but I checked up on it recently and its gone whack. It's far from what it was and it's pretty uncanny, however I can divide basically all, every single one of the users in basically 5 categories:

1. Chill people who only use KYM because they've been here forever.

2. That guy who types/acts smart because A: superiority complex or B: silly goofball guy

3. People who post images in most of their forum posts in attempt to be funny or for karma.

4. Passive-aggressive. Usually likes anime or is in a fandom. Mostly in Riff-raff.

5. Meme-loving fucks. 50-50 tolerable. Sometimes insufferable or pretty cool people. Memes all day e'ry day.

I don't really browse KYM very often anymore and am just visiting again, but a lot of personalities really stick out and everyone is creepily similar to each other. Really creepy.

Cronus wrote:

I haven't been a part of this userbase for a long time but I checked up on it recently and its gone whack. It's far from what it was and it's pretty uncanny, however I can divide basically all, every single one of the users in basically 5 categories:

1. Chill people who only use KYM because they've been here forever.

2. That guy who types/acts smart because A: superiority complex or B: silly goofball guy

3. People who post images in most of their forum posts in attempt to be funny or for karma.

4. Passive-aggressive. Usually likes anime or is in a fandom. Mostly in Riff-raff.

5. Meme-loving fucks. 50-50 tolerable. Sometimes insufferable or pretty cool people. Memes all day e'ry day.

I don't really browse KYM very often anymore and am just visiting again, but a lot of personalities really stick out and everyone is creepily similar to each other. Really creepy.

… Can you give examples of type 2 and 4? If I've ever seen type 2 before, I guess it didn't mean much to me, and I've never really seen type 4 before…

I disagree about the personalities thing. Though I can't really put it to words, I feel like I have a general idea about most people's demeanors.

Saccharin is real talkin

>"I’ve never really seen type 4 before…"

2 and 4 go hand in hand. You either haven't been here long enough, are one of them or are pretty blind

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!