Forums / Discussion / General

232,812 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

Future of Christianity and Islam in the next few hundred years?

Last posted Feb 11, 2015 at 11:20PM EST. Added Feb 11, 2015 at 09:47PM EST
5 posts from 5 users

Assuming that both end time prophecies don't happen, and both religions continue on; how will changing times, new technologies, colonization of space, and various cultural changes over hundreds of years affect both religions? content wise, and message wise?
I expect both religions to adapt beliefs related to space, and making alien planets part of their respective mythologies etc.

Last edited Feb 11, 2015 at 09:58PM EST

I'm guessing Christianity as a whole will just grow to become more tolerant with passing time as more religious leaders such as the Pope try to spread messages of tolerance and forgiveness. As for Islam, its future is much less certain, mainly because of the isolation of the fundamentalist nations. They could remain the way they are for hundreds and hundreds of years to come or they could go through huge leaps of progress. As for moderate Islam, I don't know too much about its future mainly because I'm not very experienced in dealing with them or live in a place full of them. I would like to know though from someone who would know more about the community though.

If you ask me there's just way too many factors at play to make any kind of prediction whatsoever. I think the only thing we can say for sure is that religions hundreds of years from now will be far different than they are today.

I have to say Islam will still move on. Muslim groups that i think will not last long are the likes of Taliban Afghanistan and ISIS, those who are prone to violence or are stuck with the old system. Countries like Turkey, Indonesia, Malaysia, and (contrary to what the media says) Iran will move on. Muslims in countries like those are more accepting to change.

Well I can guarantee one thing: they'll still be here

Religion ain't going nowhere anytime in the future. Not even the ones that have been formally #REKT by science (EG: Scientology, Spiritualism and Astrology) seem to be phased. They'll probably hang around till the end of time

But religion can change big-time. The face of Christianity was a lot different 100 years ago compared to today, I am sure.

Christianity seems to be quite adaptive. With it's major leaders making gradual progressive shifts. Now accepting things like evolution and homosexuality more and more. It will continue to change in it's major political and historical idea's while only retaining the core moralities

Christianity is far from a hivemind. It's influenced by diversity, culture and location. This allows it to roll with the times

Islam is in the same boat really, but as mentioned above, it's a little more unpredictable.

Muslims living in western nations aren't that different from Christians really, they'll adapt in the same way as time goes on.

But Islamists in the middle east (like in Syria and Afghanistan) are so very different from Muslims in the US, Canada and Australia. They seem to be perpetually trapped in the Crusades and repeats the same self destructive throes over and over and over. They don't seem to progress at all. Over the next few hundred years, those guys might just implode

Last edited Feb 11, 2015 at 11:21PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!