Forums / Discussion / General

232,630 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

So Jimmies is Racist

Last posted Jul 14, 2015 at 10:22PM EDT. Added Jul 13, 2015 at 11:46PM EDT
24 posts from 19 users

link

“I’ve heard them called jimmies … It’s after Jim Crow,” said Carly Fishkin, 25, who grew up in Wellesley and prefers to call them sprinkles.
Last edited Jul 13, 2015 at 11:47PM EDT

So the people who did research and know its not racist are like,

While the ones who didn't but think its racist anyway are like,

'k den.

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

Who the fuck calls sprinkles "jimmies" (other than Lisa, apparently)?!

Everyone?? Doesn't the bottle literally say Jimmies?

edit:

see, you're the weirdo.

Last edited Jul 14, 2015 at 12:20AM EDT

Sprinkles are what you call things you sprinkle on top of cakes/cupcakes/whatever.
The little long tubey ones are jimmies.
The round balley ones are nonpareils.
The ones that are coated in shiny edible paint are dragees.
Those are the only ones I know tbh.

edit: I'm originally from Chicago. Idk if it's a midwest thing or an eastern thing, we get a good blend of both.

Last edited Jul 14, 2015 at 12:47AM EDT

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

Who the fuck calls sprinkles "jimmies" (other than Lisa, apparently)?!

There's this crazy phenomenon called "dialects". It's like this thing where people from one part of the country say things differently than people from another part of the country. I know, it's so weird, right?

To answer your question directly: People in the Northeast tend to say "jimmies" I'm not sure where Lisa lives, but I'm willing to bet she also lives in a region that uses the term

lisalombs wrote:

Sprinkles are what you call things you sprinkle on top of cakes/cupcakes/whatever.
The little long tubey ones are jimmies.
The round balley ones are nonpareils.
The ones that are coated in shiny edible paint are dragees.
Those are the only ones I know tbh.

edit: I'm originally from Chicago. Idk if it's a midwest thing or an eastern thing, we get a good blend of both.

Those little crunchy ball things have names? Those shiny ones have a name?!

Wow. I've already learned so much from this thread.

Robert Whitman, 58, who grew up in New York City, is an outlier. He calls them sprinkles, but never heard that jimmies might be racist--and seemed perturbed that anyone would think so.

“That’s absurd,” he said. “Don’t go making controversy where there is none.”

>people calling jimmies racist
You can't flim flam my jim jams.

Remember when racism used to mean "feeling your race is superior to other races"? When did it turn into complaining about the false etymology of an ice cream topping?

LNH wrote:

link

“I’ve heard them called jimmies … It’s after Jim Crow,” said Carly Fishkin, 25, who grew up in Wellesley and prefers to call them sprinkles.

This thread made me look up different types of sprinkles and I came across these shaped things that my mom solely uses at Christmas for cookies and it reminded me that these are what I call sprinkles by default.

I don't think I've ever eaten yogurt/ice cream/etc with anything but chocolate or rainbow jimmies so the word "sprinkles" is not really something that I use often. I didn't think jimmies were such a specifically regional thing before this thread.

Last edited Jul 14, 2015 at 08:35PM EDT

You know, if you go actively looking for racist things, you are always going to find them, the same way that if you go looking for proof that the Earth is flat, you are always going to find it, because you are actively trying to perceive the word in a certain way, and when you do that, you can't see it for how it actually is.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!