Forums / Discussion / General

232,887 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Ban worthy?

Last posted Mar 06, 2010 at 01:45PM EST. Added Feb 13, 2010 at 12:00PM EST
21 posts from 12 users

How do you know he's not showing respect? When Chris Henry died I changed my facebook picture to him.

EDIT: Oh snap, I need to learn to look before I speak.

Last edited Feb 13, 2010 at 12:46PM EST

This is the problem, we have no proof of anything here. As far as we know this could just be some troll trying to get rid of someone they see as butthurt.
Yet looking on your perspective, yes he could just be trying to show respect. But I don't think any action should be taken unless proof is presented of any such event.

@Watcher

You know, something in what you said has been confusing me for a long time. When is it actually proper to make fun of any tragedy such as this one?

You see, people always say that it's "too soon" to make fun of something right after it happened meaning that some time in the future we can start making fun of Nodar Kumaritashvili. I believe that that's just plain bullshit.

There is NEVER a time to make fun of deaths, natural disasters, and any other kind of tragedy. I believe that it's ALWAYS too soon to make fun of anything. By that logic, I believe that no one has any right to make fun of things such as this at any time.

But, of course, trolls never listen to reason and will start making fun of his death. It's inevitable and they find it funny because they don't care. So, because of its inevitability, I see no point in banning a few people for making fun of someone's death when more will just come in the future. It's truly pretty pointless.

That's just my two cents.

EDIT:

@Tigen

A Russian Luger really did die just before the Olympics. See this thread.

Last edited Feb 13, 2010 at 01:01PM EST

I truly don't see anything wrong with it. I mean yes, someone died, but… People die all the time, it's no big deal. If i died in some different way like that, i'm sure people would do the same thing to me. And it doesn't bother me to think of people doing that about me. For something to be funny it has to single out a certain group of people. Even if those people are dead, disabled, etc. Remember that in ancient times (Roman etc), people would pay good money to watch others get brutally murdered. It's just something that the occasional person enjoys.
One meme in general comes to mind from this:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/michael-j-fox-parkinsons-jokes
I know a lot of people don't approve of this as well, but i'm still adding it as an example.

What kind of moronic goofball does it take to think they should try to regulate what other people think is funny?

Step off your high horses people, you are completely ineffective as the morality police.

Go raise your kids how ever you want and get off this messageboard.

Noah hasn't done anything ban-worthy yet. He actually raises a good point that there's no place for morality police here. It's true that when it comes to internet memes, nothing is sacred. Don't let your personal feelings about a meme cloud your objectivity in documenting it.

We have pretty simple standards. No sexual imagery. No shock imagery. Don't flame each other. But we're also not here to try to change the internet.

Also, quit trying to tell other users that they'll be banned. If that user hasn't posted anything ban-worthy, it will only makes you look worse.

What ?
"Do not support spreading said meme" ?
Why ?
A meme is meant to be propagated, it's how it lives.
I don't mean to say on the article that it "must" spread, but, on the other hand, there is no need for a message telling people not to spread it.
The lesser biased, the better, and an article must remain as objective as possible anyway.

Stop trying to impose your morality on this website. That's not the first time some people are trying to do so and it's becoming kind of irritating.
Noahprence has a good point. What makes laugh one won't necessarily be what can make laugh another so please, stop this.
What is a banable offense here is posting explicit material without warning, extremely shocky or sexually-oriented picture or video and flood/spam.
Nothing less, nothing more until the Admins change their mind and say so.

Last edited Mar 06, 2010 at 03:10PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!