Forums / Discussion / General

232,813 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

Deadpool

Last posted Sep 10, 2009 at 07:53PM EDT. Added Sep 03, 2009 at 10:33PM EDT
35 posts from 12 users

It was about a week ago. It was some company in India called Tender Tiger that tried to place an ad in our meme space.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tendertiger

This is just an idea but it would be interesting to have two different deadpools.

One for decent articles that either arent memes, or like ones that are popular IRL. And ones that are just spam or pure crap like most of the deadpool is. I feel like there are some things in the DP that are good to have on the site but "wading" through all the muck (pun intended) can get tedious.

It's unfortunate when an article has to go in the deadpool, but we don't want to encourage people to create articles FOR the Deadpool either. We want to keep the site focused around Internet Memes.

Deadpooled meme entries serve as examples of what we're not looking for. So even if an article is written well, if it's about a meme that is deeply rooted in pre-interent history, then it still belongs in the deadpool.

yeah but how much crap is ther in the deadpool, theres one picture and then the article is just the author saying lol or something like that. Stuff like that doesnt deserve to be in the same group as some decent articles.

Even if an entry is written outstandingly well, but it is not an Internet Meme, Memetic Hub, or community in which memes form, then it isn't of any more use to a site about Internet Memes than the articles that contain no information at all.

If we set aside a special place for people to write about things that aren't Internet Memes, then this will only encourage people to submit more entries that do not fit the purpose of the site. I'm sorry for anyone who put forth lots of effort into articles that got deadpooled. But after an entry enters Submissions, it is then the Admin's responsibility to make sure the facts are correct and that it fits the criteria of an Internet Meme. If this is successful, then the Meme Entry moves from Submissions to Confirmed. If it doesn't, it goes to the Deadpool.

Unfortunately, we get more of those submissions that are crap than we get of those that are just one-off.

In the future, if people only create meme entries for things that they can prove are Internet Memes, then there will be no issue.

I know I'm late but here are my favourites.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/helicopter-horse

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tea-time

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/super-robo-jesus

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hai-sanwich

and

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dave-koz

Maybe there could be a seperate catagory for failed memes? Like things that had the makings of a meme, but didn't take off, or burned out before spreading out enough to reach full-fledged memedom? For example, there are a few Advice Dog spinoffs that seemed to be doomed to the deadpool more because the market was already too saturated with Advice Dog spinoffs than that "meme" itself was flawed.

Stupid stuff would still be deadpooled, but I think that documenting why and how things fail to become a meme might be useful in understanding why and how things do become memes.

Everything gets photoshopped eventually. But not all of it is worth documenting.
There is no huge phenomena of people producing deadpool images along a common theme that differs from the traditional concept of the Deadpool character.

Deadpool is not a Meme.
Spy is not a Meme.
Micahael Scott is not a meme.
Milhouse is not a meme.

These are characters that millions of people have been exposed to through mass media. There's nothing unique about that phenomenon.
Now, if someone were to add something new to the character that changes what the character represents, and then masses of people were to emulate that new instance, then we would be talking about a meme.

Here's a hypothetical situation to help illustrate this point:

Look at this picture of Deadpool. It's just his head, and he's saying "Shhh. My common sense is tingling."
This is a single instance of an image.

Now, if someone were to change the words to read "My common sense is common"
And then someone else were to use the same image and change the words to "My common sense is Over 9000"
and this trend continued with people introducing new elements to a set theme, then we would be talking about the "Deadpool's Common Sense" meme.

Now lets imagine that instead of changing the words, they paste the speech balloon over unlikely characters, any other characters really. Once this same format catches on and sparks a trend of imitated-behavior that can be traced from one person to the next and not from the media down to the people, then it's a meme.

Deadpool = No Meme.

To be fair, we don't have much of anything that explains internet memes as a whole on the site, but rather a database full of cases. Without a FAQ, people have to just ask about what they don't know. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think any of us expected that our users would be asking whether or not something is a meme. The site was really meant to catalog great memes. If you're not sure whether or not something is a meme, then it probably isn't worth documenting.

Yes. We like to specifically say "Internet Memes" because by all rights, Mark Twain is a meme, mustache-grooming is a meme, language is a meme, religion is a meme, any single bit of information that is passed from one person to another regardless of the method of transmission is a meme as long as it is imitated and mutated.

But we're not going to catalog all of that. We only research memes that are either born on the internet or otherwise relevent in the context of the internet. And this is all up to a constantly changing interpretation.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!