Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Teen kills himself to be with waifu

Last posted Aug 26, 2016 at 06:05PM EDT. Added Aug 23, 2016 at 04:52PM EDT
45 posts from 37 users

Well it finally happened, someone actually killed themselves for their waifu

"Taylor's waifu was Ikaros from Heaven's Lost Property, and took his love for the Angeloid very seriously, owning shirts, posters, and a doll of Ikaros. He even wrote her letters. But in his last letter, he claimed he would die to meet Ikaros "on the other side". After asking God's forgiveness, he hung himself in his room only to be found dead by his parents at 5 AM."

"Since his death, his parents have burned his Ikaros-related goods, and called for the censorship of anime and manga because of its alleged ability to destroy lives by inciting sex and morbid actions."

How many more have to die before we have common sense anime control?

Last edited Aug 23, 2016 at 04:54PM EDT

I can't believe this was real.

The first and foremost thing is, anime is not the problem. Misunderstanding mental illness is.

If it wasn't a waifu, this guy would have latched on to something else. It's important to treat such people with care, understanding, and show them how to escape a fantasy that they become far too entangled in.

A sad story, but I don't think anime is the culprit. It sounds like this kid had serious emotional problems and it happened to manifest itself through a pre-occupation with anime, and this character in particular. If it hadn't been anime, it would have been something else.

That said, I suspect most people who are deep into this waifu stuff are not in good mental health. Never heard of one killing himself before this, though.

Last edited Aug 23, 2016 at 05:13PM EDT

lisalombs wrote:

Nice of them to burn the merch and get all concerned about anime's influence on him after he killed himself.

Well they didn't know he was going to kill himself over it before he did it, to be fair

By that logic, we should ban video games because of their alleged ability to encourage violence and antisocial behavior. We should ban television for promoting unhealthy expectations and lifestyles and so on. Censorship of media, especially for reasons such as this, will not help the majority of consumers in the long run. (Considering that most consumers won't act too irrationally with/about the product in question.)

As sad as this is, the parents should have paid more attention to their son's behavior beforehand. His romantic obsession with his waifu (a fictional character and therefore nonexistent in this reality) should have been a red flag for the parents to intervene. The material (anime/manga) is not the problem. His unhealthy mental state was. (Granted, I'm going to assume that they were trying to be the best parents to him that they could've possibly been.)

I understand that serious grief is not the clearest of states to be thinking in, but I hope his parents will come to understand the ramifications of what they'd be calling for.

My condolences to the family on their loss.

Last edited Aug 23, 2016 at 05:32PM EDT

Has this image ever been more relevant than now?

PS I do not think he did the right thing and he should have gotten help

Last edited Aug 23, 2016 at 05:29PM EDT
“Since his death, his parents have burned his Ikaros-related goods, and called for the censorship of anime and manga because of its alleged ability to destroy lives by inciting sex and morbid actions.”

Well, here's your fuckin' problem: dumbass parents who blame obvious mental issues on anime instead of getting their kid a therapist.

Twenty-One wrote:

Well they didn't know he was going to kill himself over it before he did it, to be fair

At least now he won't do it again.

Twenty-One wrote:

They knew he was slobbering over the naked anime robot instead of living a healthy life tho. They said themselves they hope other parents are more attentive after this.

Taylor would have probably killed himself sooner if it wasn't for anime.

Also, was that true that his parents were a bit too religious?

Last edited Aug 23, 2016 at 05:39PM EDT

He actually did it, the absolute madman.

While I feel sorry for the kid and the kids parents, I can't really say I expected less. How many people have heard the story of the obssessive fan who goes too far for whoever they're a fan of? It's a story as old as time and recorded media, and so all I can say is that its just another body for the pile.

I'm assuming his parents either read these letters or saw this behavior as having something like an imaginary friend. Only most people don't write about how much they're suffering cause their imaginary friend isn't real.

Maybe its a culutral thing, but I think there is a point where help should have been sought, if only to snap him out of his delusions that anime is real.

Black Graphic T wrote:

He actually did it, the absolute madman.

While I feel sorry for the kid and the kids parents, I can't really say I expected less. How many people have heard the story of the obssessive fan who goes too far for whoever they're a fan of? It's a story as old as time and recorded media, and so all I can say is that its just another body for the pile.

I'm assuming his parents either read these letters or saw this behavior as having something like an imaginary friend. Only most people don't write about how much they're suffering cause their imaginary friend isn't real.

Maybe its a culutral thing, but I think there is a point where help should have been sought, if only to snap him out of his delusions that anime is real.

By the way, in South Korea, there are some people who commit suicide when a famous real-life celebrity commits a suicide.

Evilthing wrote:

By the way, in South Korea, there are some people who commit suicide when a famous real-life celebrity commits a suicide.

And there are people in North America who commit suicide after a famous real life person commits suicide. Some people just look for an excuse to off themselves.

Honestly guys I think the parents know full well they dropped the ball here. They're probably just blaming anime because they aren't ready to accept the blame themselves yet.

Anime was a mistake.

But seriously, the guy had to be pretty screwed up to do something like that. It seems pretty clear he was diving into the escapism far harder than a normal person would. A shame his parents didn't catch on and try to help.

This is going to bring attention to something I honestly don't want attention brought upon. If I look in the news to see this in the next few days I think I might off myself too. Not so I can be with my pretend girlfriend, but because of the fucking cringeworthiness this story has.
Now, let me be blunt, I'm not a fan of anime. I grew up in a household that didn't allow it, so I honestly don't get the appeal of it many people have.
However, I don't think there should be a ban or censorship of anime. You shouldn't blame the item in cases like this, because more often than not, these things happen except swap anything else out with the anime waifu. People have killed themselves over losing the lottery, does that mean we should get rid of the lottery? People have killed themselves over videogames, does that mean we should get rid of videogames? People have even killed themselves over celebrity drama, does that mean we should get rid of celebrities? Instead of focusing on what the object was, instead focus on the individual who did it. Was there perhaps something wrong with them beforehand? No one who is mentally healthy will kill themselves over something as trivial as this.

Last edited Aug 23, 2016 at 09:10PM EDT

Tyranid Warrior #1024649049375 wrote:

This is going to bring attention to something I honestly don't want attention brought upon. If I look in the news to see this in the next few days I think I might off myself too. Not so I can be with my pretend girlfriend, but because of the fucking cringeworthiness this story has.
Now, let me be blunt, I'm not a fan of anime. I grew up in a household that didn't allow it, so I honestly don't get the appeal of it many people have.
However, I don't think there should be a ban or censorship of anime. You shouldn't blame the item in cases like this, because more often than not, these things happen except swap anything else out with the anime waifu. People have killed themselves over losing the lottery, does that mean we should get rid of the lottery? People have killed themselves over videogames, does that mean we should get rid of videogames? People have even killed themselves over celebrity drama, does that mean we should get rid of celebrities? Instead of focusing on what the object was, instead focus on the individual who did it. Was there perhaps something wrong with them beforehand? No one who is mentally healthy will kill themselves over something as trivial as this.

You made me realize I'm now also deeply afraid of the kind of garbage the mainstream news could and probably will do with this since all national news outlets like to do is fear monger and shift blames and what better to do it with than anime. The soccer mom hordes agreeing with the blame shift these parents did I can already see the facebook feeds now.

My mom might even give me a rant on "stay away from anime" and get legitimately afraid since she's exactly the type of person who instantly picks up obsessions, myths, superstitions, paranoias, etc from facebook and television news outlets. God this is terrible.

Apparently from reading the comments on the original article, they weren't exactly the most supportive of parents. The kid didn't even have a regular phone, they recharged a prepaid phone for him. Judging from their reaction to their son's death, I'm also guessing they were the type to ban him from doing things due to them being "satanic" or "against God."

These are just assumptions of course, but considering I have pretty religious parents I know that feel.

Worst part is that if you looked it up on the wiki:
"In chapter 77, she died because of Tomoki's order "Take me to Synapse!". Ikaros already knows that she will be dead or burnt alive after entering Synapse. Knowing she will die taking Tomoki to Synapse, Ikaros confesses her love to Tomoki before disintegrating leaving nothing but an orb in a crying Tomoki's hands. Due to the orb 'they' (Ikaros, Nymph, Astraea, Harpies, Sohara, Yoshitsune, Sugata and everyone who died) forced themselves into one and gave Tomoki the strength to beat the Master of Synapse, along with Daedalus's help, and of course Mikako's help. They are able to grant a new wish on 'Rule', and that is when everyone are brought back to life."

She comes back later.

My thought on this.

1: @Spider-byte I thought fanfiction was the lowest form of entertainment :^)

2: I doubt anyone would listen to the parents because of two things. International relations and money. Most anime nowadays go for a niche audience and I'm certain the people that localize the stuff know this. This is just fear-mongering that will not go anywhere because, I;m certain most people, business executives know better than to listen to fundies.

3. Likewise, as sad as it is, I'm certain that the teenager would had killed themselves regardless. Ikaros' "death" was just the catalyst, a role that can be replaced to the same end. As Tyranid said, people kill themselves over the lottery, over Games and other things that are first world problems. To me, the suicide more of a case of depression.

Jellopy wrote:

Worst part is that if you looked it up on the wiki:
"In chapter 77, she died because of Tomoki's order "Take me to Synapse!". Ikaros already knows that she will be dead or burnt alive after entering Synapse. Knowing she will die taking Tomoki to Synapse, Ikaros confesses her love to Tomoki before disintegrating leaving nothing but an orb in a crying Tomoki's hands. Due to the orb 'they' (Ikaros, Nymph, Astraea, Harpies, Sohara, Yoshitsune, Sugata and everyone who died) forced themselves into one and gave Tomoki the strength to beat the Master of Synapse, along with Daedalus's help, and of course Mikako's help. They are able to grant a new wish on 'Rule', and that is when everyone are brought back to life."

She comes back later.

He didn't even wait to finish the story to see if she returned before killing himself. Jesus Christ, that just makes this even more sad. By his strange logic, he effectively killed himself over nothing. Even though beforehand he already killed himself over nothing.

Pretty sure he killed himself because she's not real, not because she "died". His letter makes it pretty clear. He said "what's the point of being born if you can't be with the one you love, why have a job if you can't spend money on her" or some shit like that. He departed this life for the 2D world. Maybe he's there, face buried in angeloid tiddies, his dreams are no longer dreams. GODSPEED, TAYLOR.

>“Since his death, his parents have burned his Ikaros-related goods, and called for the censorship of anime and manga because of its alleged ability to destroy lives by inciting sex and morbid actions.”

Gods, this sounds like a bunch of delusional abusive parents would say.

Wow, i thinked that this thing was another shitpost from Riff Raff, but when i see this………… this is seriously very depressing and sad, and is ''Blame X thing for screw society'' all OVER AGAIN, as some people of the forums says, this was because of the mental problems of this teen, yeah. Although many people blame anime for everything (Unironical or not), sometimes this things are very deadhorse and in my opinion im very tired with this things (more with the anime case and videogames).
Even in my opinion says things like ''your waifu is trash'' or ''anime was mistake'' are not funny in this cases.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!