Forums / Discussion / General

232,894 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

tumblr vs. 4chan

Last posted Nov 15, 2010 at 02:18AM EST. Added Nov 14, 2010 at 12:02AM EST
10 posts from 6 users

Looks like there is some serious play at hand. 4chan has decided they are tired of tumblr "stealing their memes" (it's a bit of a broken record argument yet you have to admit that tumblr perpetuates laziness with regards to giving credit), but tumblr is a pretty large group of people who can stand as one too, so now tumblr is organizing to fight back.

In addition to a variety of measures like DDoS to disrupt tumblr, the main objective of 4chan is to create tumblr accounts, follow people who will then follow back, and then start to spam their dashboards with disturbing pictures.

In an effort to retaliate, after some consideration by tumblr that trolling 4chan boards would probably not be noticed due to the fact that there is so much trolling going on there already, tumblr finally decided the best way to disrupt 4chan boards would be to upload as many pictures of cute kittens as possible.

Operation Overloard va. Operation Overkitten

Cylendars are firing up now. Sunday and Monday could lead to all out war.

http://twitter.com/#!/search/4chan
http://twitter.com/#!/search/tumblr

Last edited Nov 14, 2010 at 12:17AM EST

"tumblr finally decided the best way to disrupt 4chan boards would be to upload as many pictures of cute kittens as possible."

You know, pride only makes people more dangerous, and self loathing, and you know, life is utterly pointless, you might as well enjoy it while you can, I got better things to do, like breathing, fucking,and partying, yet this is still such a funny joke about life that never gets old. Gotta love humans, and the drama that repeats itself till the end of humanity, and I say fuck them all, I am not doing it, and I will die happy, unlike some failures at life, I can at least tell myself I am a good person.

Raiding 4Chan would be like breaking into a lions cage in a zoo, stealing a cub, and holding it up in the air while singing "Circle of Life"

Also, last time I checked, memes didn't belong exclusively to anyone. Also not everyone on Tumblr is a freaking hipster. Members of 4Chan are always uptight about censorship on the web. By doing this attack, they are kind of being hypocrites. However, They cannot be defeated. They are just like a bad case of diarrhea.They come along and ruin someones day, but they will soon pass.However its only funny until you get a bad case of 4Chanarrhea. Then it's annoying. But it will pass.

I think 4chan is going to fail on this one. Maybe the DOS will work for some time, but most tumblr users aware of this and will not be trying to access tumblr during the attack.

On the other hand, Operation Overkitten is ridiculous. Maybe a 4channer started this bullshit just for lulz?

Shit went down, guise.

I visited both websites continually today just to see what would happen. First /b/, which seemed to be pointing in its typical direction: that of making a shitstorm. LIOC's (ddosing programs) were being downloaded, tumblr's IP's were being listed, etc. 4chan looked ready for a war.

Tumblr was the first to fall, but only temporarily. The main page went down, but individual blogs were perfectly fine, although it usually took two tries to access them. It seemed that tumblr users would now carry out their plan of spamming cats to /b/, which they happen to love.

Then /b/ flat-out died. I'm not joking.

Through some act of internet wizardry, all the threads posted on /b/ started 404'ing, regardless of time, subject matter, etc. Anonymous was not happy, and posted tanks and such as it does when it usually is raging.

I'll look into how long this lasted, but I remember it fluctuated a few times before remaining aloft.

/b/ was hit much worse than tumblr. A lot of anons ended up deciding that they would rather make nice with Tumblr, rather than fight it out, and a shitload of AnonymousxTumblr-tan art started hitting the boards, which I may or may not upload here.

Retrospectively. it seems that the anonymous LOIC wielders didn't realize that members of tumblr also lurked /b/, which most likely resulted in the devastating retaliation.

As of now, there seems to be no common consensus as to who was responsible. Anonymous, unwilling to believe a gang of hipsters could be behind the (temporary) fall of 4chan, blamed a mod or group of mods that happened to enjoy using the offending website. Tumblr users were eager to take credit for the site errors.

Both sites, however, are currently running as usual. In the end, these raids did naught but bring more attention to both sites as well as a new user base for 4chan, also known as newfags. My facebook news feed was full of people exclaiming things akin to "wtf 4chan is a douchebag" and such.

Tl;dr: Shit was on fire, yo.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!