Forums / Discussion / General

232,894 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

This new layout..

Last posted Nov 26, 2010 at 01:19PM EST. Added Nov 15, 2010 at 01:57AM EST
81 posts from 47 users

The new site layout just needs some getting used to, is all.

Though, like many other site renovations, there are some several quirks I have noticed on the site in a quick browse through it that I feel need to be fixed, changed, or added again when the developers' got the time to do so.

These are some of the stuff I have found:
- Favorited memes don't show up on our profiles anymore.
- Sub-memes aren't listed on parent articles.
- HTML coding is rather wonky on articles (i.e. blockquotes not working, font size often looks kinda bad)
- The Popular section only shows the articles in the Submissions section.
- The Favorite this Entry! button is now a star. I much rather preferred it when it was a heart.
- Page views always stick at zero no matter how many times I visit them.
- Sub-pages on the site such as the About Us and the API & Resources sections are outdated.
- EDIT: Nevermind. It seems to have been changed so I didn't notice it at first. Modbox is a-okay!

That's basically it. Tomorrow, if the others haven't already found them by the time I get home from school, I'll try searching for some more stuff that needs fixing.

Snowman, out.

Last edited Nov 15, 2010 at 02:51AM EST

You all know that I've been aginst his redux from the start, and it takes TOO LONG TO LOAD! I wouldn't mind the crowdedness but I MUST HAVE KYM QUICKLY!

EDIT: LEGITAMATE PROBLEM #2: It seems when you change your avatar from your previous one that was pre-KYM 2.0, The first one stays the same.

Last edited Nov 15, 2010 at 04:28AM EST

This is awful. This is "New Coke" awful. Everything's packed into every crevice 100 pixels away from the edge of the page. It's cluttered. Disorganized. Complicated. It feels like I'm navigating the site from my 2002 Nokia cellphone. The old design was clean. Linear. Dynamic. What happened to "Don't fix it if it isn't broken"? What was wrong with the old design?

And the advertisements. Why are the advertisements loading above the header!? And why is the header so tiny?

Raptor Jesus wept.

New Age Retro Hippie wrote:

You all know that I've been aginst his redux from the start, and it takes TOO LONG TO LOAD! I wouldn't mind the crowdedness but I MUST HAVE KYM QUICKLY!

EDIT: LEGITAMATE PROBLEM #2: It seems when you change your avatar from your previous one that was pre-KYM 2.0, The first one stays the same.

What browser are you using? I'm on Chrome Dev and it loads just as quickly as KYM 1.×.

As for the second one, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific?

@Thread:
I happen to like the new design. The subtle nuances and new usage paradigms make all the difference. I love the new user profiles and especially the homepage design. It's a convenient aggregation of the various new information added to the site displayed in an attractive manner.
I also love the new meme entry and database design. The tabs are far more visually appealing than the buttons, and the information on entries is no longer a jumbled mess of content, but a nicely presented package of information topped off with a few videos and images followed by the comments. The user profiles look much nicer now as well.

In short, yes, it is a dramatic departure from the KYM 1.x site design. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. It's a matter of opinion. But I'm sure your feedback will be taken into consideration as the site is finalized and the remaining bugs are squashed.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Its ok, just not used to it yet.

I figured I'd get used to it.
-If you zoom in and out ctrl+scroll, it makes it feel all awkward.
-Looks a tad bit cheaper than the old KYM.
-Many misclicks, many of those.
-I keep pressing the wrong quote button, since the quote looks to be above the post, rather than the one below it.
-The Date should be under the Karma, since its a wide open field, maybe other information too.
-I don't like activity tab as my default tab, would like the wall tab over it.
-Articles are awkward as hell.
-This is most popular article on KYM at the moment…
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/preteen-singing-freakout
@Greg

Of course assuming you are the guy who came up with this poor design, correct me if I am wrong Mr.Greg.

Although I like the quotes, but it just does not feel proper.

Last edited Nov 15, 2010 at 06:52AM EST

Does anyone else see Edit/Delete buttons for everyone's posts? Is that one just me?
The new layout isn't all that bad to me, personally. This is also the only problem I've had, but I've only been on for a couple minutes.

Last edited Nov 15, 2010 at 07:53AM EST

If you're talking about editing forum posts, right click the upvote button copy address, put the address in the address bar, and change upvote to edit.
Or just leave it as upvote and up your own karma.

Hi everyone. (Sticked this as official bugthread)

Let me address a few concerns, and know that a large launch of this size is never easy. We ran into a few bugs and had to support some older conventions that made this upgrade tricky.

1. Videos section has been disabled temporarily until we fix a syncing bug with Magma
  2. View stats are disabled while we sort out some system performance issues. They are being tracked (and have been for months), but are just not displaying at this time.
  3. Yes, we forgot a few buttons. Wall posting will be available shortly (hindsight on my part)
  4. Lightbox browsing for photos will be available shortly. Again, another unforseeable bug that needs a quick touch this morning.
  5. Edit/delete buttons on forum posts, we are addressing
  6. And more…

Katie C. wrote:

By the way, GIFs no longer work on entries.

I do like the new layout though. It'll just take a bit of getting used to. Good job team KYM!

Last edited Nov 15, 2010 at 09:27AM EST

I don't mind the advertisement too much besides it slight need of a locational augmentation to the better.

As long as its not that Smuckers commercial.

But I gotta admit the submissions coming up as most popular is not exactly helping KYM's reputation.

I wish web developers would remember that there are other browsers than IE and Mozilla. Opera is my browser of choice and the site has all sorts of bugs that show up in Opera. I don't know if it is Opera's reading of the site or the site itself, but the photos load in a tiny little square that can not be opened. Also, where did our favorites disappear to?

Cybergata wrote:

I wish web developers would remember that there are other browsers than IE and Mozilla. Opera is my browser of choice and the site has all sorts of bugs that show up in Opera. I don't know if it is Opera's reading of the site or the site itself, but the photos load in a tiny little square that can not be opened. Also, where did our favorites disappear to?

Yes, unfort Opera comprises only a small percentage of visits a day, which compared to other browser, means our focus is on reaching the most effectiveness while under very limited time and sparce resources (human and other). Sorry dawg.

If you can code and want to help, https://knowyourmeme.com/jobs

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!