Forums / Discussion / General

232,895 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Internet Culture

Last posted Nov 17, 2010 at 02:24AM EST. Added Nov 15, 2010 at 04:26AM EST
9 posts from 7 users

If it's about memetics in general and not just a specific meme, I'd introduce a definition, and then give a few examples in the form of specific memes to demonstrate the properties of memes.
Here's an outline for the PowerPoint.
1. Definition
2. Memetic hubs
– Definition of a memetic hub
– Function of memetic hubs
– Examples of memetic hubs
3. How memes spread
– Organic spread
– Astroturfing/forcing
– Astroturfing/forcing vs organic spread
– Mutation and derivatives
4. Rate of spread
– What affects the rate at which memes spread?
– If a meme is astroturfed, how will that affect the rate? Has the meme been accepted by the community?
– Be sure to include examples of quickly-spreading memes and slower memes. Use visual aids, charts, Insights, etc.
5. In-depth analysis of a specific meme
– Explain the meme in detail
– Explain why it meets the definition of a meme
– Demonstrate how it has spread and the mechanisms by which it has spread
– Expose its origin, and where it has spread
– Go through the meme's life (and death, if applicable) in chronological order, ideally using visual aids
– Why is/was the meme popular? Is it easily reproduced? Funny?
– Derivatives and mutations

Hope this helps you get a general idea of what to do. I had to make a powerpoint recently too, and I find that it helps to make an outline.
When you're presenting, be sure you know absolutely everything about the subject matter so that you can speak off the top of your head. It looks bad when the presenter just reads a script.

Sweatie Killer brings up a good point. It's not just about a meme being funny or easily imitated. It just has to be attention grabbing enough to motivate people to spread it along.

@coolmongoose: I always start with an example or two that people might recognize. That way, when you get to the 'What Is Meme?' stuff they at least understand what it can be.

@Trick Lobo: a couple of years ago Jamie Dubs and I gave a presentation to a college class where our 20 slide presentation was nothing but Windows desktop images. While I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, I think it was our best slideshow ever.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!