Forums / General

195,891 total conversations in 5,393 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Announcement: Andrew Baron on the future of Know Your Meme

Last posted Jan 16, 2011 at 11:58PM EST. Added Jan 13, 2011 at 07:20PM EST
35 conversations with 16 participants

Hey y’all

For those who are wondering about the future of Know Your Meme in light of recent events, please check out the latest update provided by Rocketboomer slash KYM co-creator Andrew Baron.

KNOW YOUR MEME UPDATE

With regards to Know Your Meme, we are all still here, including Kenyatta and Ellie who have formalized their commitment to continuing on with active contributions, chiming into the forums, chats, the back end org, editorial, even the overall vision of what should happen next. And in addition to Kenyatta and Ellie, those of us who have been running the business of Know Your Meme on a day to day basis -- the Rocketboom Institute for Internet Studies -- are all still here at the lab working away. Today, myself, Brad Kim, James Wu, Don Caldwell, Olivia Gulin, AJ Mazur make up the core KYM staff working on matters of vision, front end and back end operations, editorial, community management, the design and interface and so many other aspects of the operations its hard to site them all. We’re keeping the servers running and managing the brain trust of those amazing minds out there in the community with the goal of continuing to provide a free and progressive place to do meme science -- to provide a place where the best ideas can be shared and celebrated. As a team, we have the monetary support we need to carry on the vision, we are tight, confident, organized, efficient and especially fulfilled.

To Kenyatta, Ellie, Jamie, Greg, Brad, James, Don, Olivia, AJ, Chris and so many more who I hardly know but give KYM so much -- you should truly be awarded the internet.

To read the full text, check out Andrew’s blog post at DemBot.com.

Last edited Jan 13, 2011 at 07:23PM EST
Jan 13, 2011 at 07:20PM EST

Here’s to all the people who keep our obsession running.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:07PM EST

Thanks for posting Brad!

Jan 14, 2011 at 09:45AM EST

It’s also nice to see Andrew Baron getting involved in the site again. I remember when he used to write all the entries.

Jan 14, 2011 at 09:48AM EST

Thanks Alice-chan!

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:28AM EST

This is great news, I hope KYM continues for many years. it’s a great site with hard-working (and very funny) people.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:06AM EST

You guys are awesome! Thanks for keeping the site up and running and memetastic!

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:50AM EST

Katie C. wrote:

It’s also nice to see Andrew Baron getting involved in the site again. I remember when he used to write all the entries.

That’s a pretty funny joke. Andrew may have funded the site’s development but let’s not go giving credit for things that didn’t happen.

Jan 14, 2011 at 06:47PM EST

Alice-chan, @Chris was deeply involved too. There was a time back in the day when Chris and I wrote most all of the articles, but that was just the frist period of the site.

Note this post when we rolled it out, and there were just 100 meme articles at the time (see screenshot):
http://dembot.com/post/95657769/know-your-meme-spin-off

I wrote most of the first 30-40 entries, and we both wrote most of the rest of the first 100. Jamie wrote a few during that period too, I think Kenyatta pitched in some as well.

Back then, 100 entries was a big deal. Today, no so much.

Jan 14, 2011 at 07:56PM EST

Andrew wrote:

Alice-chan, @Chris was deeply involved too. There was a time back in the day when Chris and I wrote most all of the articles, but that was just the frist period of the site.

Note this post when we rolled it out, and there were just 100 meme articles at the time (see screenshot):
http://dembot.com/post/95657769/know-your-meme-spin-off

I wrote most of the first 30-40 entries, and we both wrote most of the rest of the first 100. Jamie wrote a few during that period too, I think Kenyatta pitched in some as well.

Back then, 100 entries was a big deal. Today, no so much.

Back then most researchers would ask him to help write their articles, too.
But that was after you guys opened up submissions to users.
I remember the old “That’s What She Said” entry when the deadpool was new.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:05PM EST

Jack Candle wrote:

God, I love this site.

Who the hell doesn’t?

Jan 16, 2011 at 05:41PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

Who the hell doesn’t?

Noobs.

Jan 16, 2011 at 06:22PM EST

Chris wrote:

Noobs.

Most KYMers are noobs.
I’m talking about all accounts, of course. If you’re reading this post, it probably doesn’t apply to you.

Jan 16, 2011 at 06:46PM EST

I must say, it’s a dense site and there are many ways to contribute and be inviolved. I’m pretty new to the irc chat for example, but also most of the work I’ve done on meme entries has gone unnoticed because the karma score and credit for editing has mostly has gone into Jamiew’s count. Don’t ask me why, Jamie said he can’t change it. I think my karma score is stuck on 12 or 14.

Jan 16, 2011 at 07:11PM EST

Andrew wrote:

I must say, it’s a dense site and there are many ways to contribute and be inviolved. I’m pretty new to the irc chat for example, but also most of the work I’ve done on meme entries has gone unnoticed because the karma score and credit for editing has mostly has gone into Jamiew’s count. Don’t ask me why, Jamie said he can’t change it. I think my karma score is stuck on 12 or 14.

Drew, I think all the meme entries you’ve edited are listed on your page just fine: http://knowyourmeme.com/users/andrewbaron/memes

FYI that has nothing to do with karma, that’s just from the forums

Jan 16, 2011 at 07:27PM EST

Also, none of your edits “went into my account.” Everything I’ve edited I did (???)

Jan 16, 2011 at 07:29PM EST

Last edited Jan 16, 2011 at 07:39PM EST
Jan 16, 2011 at 07:37PM EST

Andrew wrote:

@Baron

Karma measures how many times your forum posts have been voted up on.

Jan 16, 2011 at 07:38PM EST

I loves this thread

Last edited Jan 16, 2011 at 09:40PM EST
Jan 16, 2011 at 09:33PM EST

Here’s a short list of some of meme entries that I created but are attributed to you Jamie.

Ive asked you to change this many times, but you have said Jamie that you can not. And so, you get the credit for the memes, not me.

One-take * Tronguy * The Downfall * om-nom-nom-nom * Leekspin Loituma Girl * 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0 * Iraqi Shoe Toss * Magibon * Technoviking * Miss-Teen USA South Carolina * Star Wars Kid * Tay Zonday Chocolate Rain * I Like Turtles * Lolcats * Dramatic Chipmunk Drama Prarie Dog * Montauk Monster * Fall of Edgar * Cory-Delaney Worthington * Lip-dub * Disaster Girl * Boxxy * Youre Doing It Wrong * Dramatic-Chipmunk Drama Prarie Dog * Fail * Interior Crocodile Alligator * Obama Snowball * Christian Bale Rant * Rickroll * Balloon Boy
Jan 16, 2011 at 09:49PM EST

Credit doesnt really matter too much to me, just sayin.

Jan 16, 2011 at 09:55PM EST

Andrew wrote:

Here’s a short list of some of meme entries that I created but are attributed to you Jamie.

Ive asked you to change this many times, but you have said Jamie that you can not. And so, you get the credit for the memes, not me.

One-take * Tronguy * The Downfall * om-nom-nom-nom * Leekspin Loituma Girl * 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0 * Iraqi Shoe Toss * Magibon * Technoviking * Miss-Teen USA South Carolina * Star Wars Kid * Tay Zonday Chocolate Rain * I Like Turtles * Lolcats * Dramatic Chipmunk Drama Prarie Dog * Montauk Monster * Fall of Edgar * Cory-Delaney Worthington * Lip-dub * Disaster Girl * Boxxy * Youre Doing It Wrong * Dramatic-Chipmunk Drama Prarie Dog * Fail * Interior Crocodile Alligator * Obama Snowball * Christian Bale Rant * Rickroll * Balloon Boy

Drew. You ARE attributed to these. I’m not going to handcheck every one, but… http://knowyourmeme.com/users/andrewbaron/memes

I have no idea why this keep coming up, no matter how many times I’ve explained it to you. There is no “ownership” of memes, just a list of the editors of the meme.

Seriously, get over it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:20PM EST

Hey Greg, sorry you continue to misunderstand. Apparently,Chris (as seen above) and others, continue to rag on me for seemingly not being involved in the site. Isnt that how this got started? Chris said my participation was “a joke”.

But you (and they) are wrong technically. My profile says “4 entry submissions, 152 edits”. The “4” is not the right number and Jamie has the credit for these entry submissions.

This whole ragging thing on this thread started with Chris above because obviously, he and others DO CARE about credit. And that’s okay, just sayin.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:32PM EST

Ok. then that is bug in the system. It should no longer be # submissions, but editorships.

What is disheartening is that you take this attempt to turn the issue about yourself while trying to implicate tomfoolery by another (founding) member of the site, especially when this is an issue you constantly bring up every few months, claiming credit theft rather than point it out as a flaw.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:36PM EST

@Thread

This is where we’re going.

So, does anyone have a long term solution to decreasing the submissions pool’s size?

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:23PM EST

Man, first Chris says my participation is a joke.
Then Jamie avoids my question about the entries.
Then you tell me that Im wrong.

It took a lot of defensive posts here, but hopefully by now, you guys understand that the purpose of this whole thread was to give credit to you.

kthxbye.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:24PM EST

Mike wrote:

plz

I agree. Can we just cut this thing loose and start over?

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:40PM EST

Whoa! What happened to this thread? It’s like a tornado of drama hit it.
Must we fight over trivial matters?

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:57PM EST

Gentlemeng please. It seems that this matter would be best resolved through private channels, if not tete a tete. Also, it’s derailed from the convo topic.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:58PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!