Forums / General

195,826 total conversations in 5,394 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General

Last posted Oct 06, 2011 at 09:42PM EDT. Added Feb 11, 2011 at 03:26PM EST
9,959 conversations with 189 participants

Fridge Logic wrote:

One thing about the genetics: There have to be more males than we’re seeing. The main characters may be all female, but its a show for little girls, so that’s a given. Besides, I’ve seen plenty of stallions in episodes like “Winter Wrap-Up” and “The Best Night Ever”, and the latter seemed to have a pretty even distribution, especially during “At The Gala”. Right now, I’d say the sexual distribution would be 60% female and 40% male.

That tweet is the most epic thing ever. A winrar is you, Bronydude11.

Why thank you Fridges.

As a gift, have some headcannon to think about (not mine)

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:20PM EDT
Quote

I think that The CC should have stopped discord with a rock off.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:27PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

Connor the Brony wrote:

EDIT: Females can breed because ponies.

You are now a commentator. Go, and maliciously abuse your power.

Also.
Nope.

I know that you guys put a lot of effort into the theory, but Word of Faust is Word of Faust. I’m still going with 3 or more sex chromosomes:

XXXXY and XXXXX would equal a lot more females than males.
Oh, and many thanks for the links, Platus.

CitationNeeded wrote:

So, is anyone else looking forward to the remastered theme?

Moreso, the background music. But the main theme as well. I’m pretty curious about it.

Gigatoast wrote:

How do you quote specific parts of a post without having to do the whole thing?

It’s HTML. It took me forever to figure it out, because the textile link above the Reply box wasn’t helpful. I’m not sure if I can format it correctly myself.

  1. Copy the text you want to quote
  2. Write “Gigatoast (or whomever) wrote:”
  3. Then on the next line, paste the quote between [blockquote]your quote here.[/blockquote]
    1. Don’t use brackets “[ ]” though. Use a less than sign "" instead.
  4. You can put underscores ( _ ) at the very beginning and at the very end of the text (but before the [blockquote] and after the /[blockquote] to italicize it, if you’d like.

You can also just copy and paste it too. That’s better than copying and pasting three embedded videos. It’s just time consuming, so by the time you do it, seven other posts have been written.

Don’t be afraid to Edit your stuff too after it’s been posted. I’m probably going to do it a few times myself. Get the message down so people can respond, and then edit it so that it’s pretty.

TL;DR.

Caption for pic: Lauren Faust endorses MLP Rule 34.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:31PM EDT
Quote

❀Daruqe❀ wrote:

TL;DR.

Caption for pic: Lauren Faust endorses MLP Rule 34.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:36PM EDT
Quote

@Fridge Logic and Connor the Brony
Both of you make sense.

There may be a somewhat equal amount of males offscreen and they are only presented when they need to be because it’s a girl focused show. In universe explanations may include all of the men staying in the kitchen or something, and they get to go to the Gala because of their magical fairy godmother…pony…

Connor is right. It doesn’t make sense in true genetics because having more than two letters equals all kinds of complication, but I’d say that each parent passes off more than one chromosome to get back to a full set of 5 or 6 or how ever many.

OR IMPLIED FIVESOMES UP IN THIS STABLE

EDIT:
Daruqe wrote:

TL;DR.

Not terribly surprised there, but if the username and teal deer avatar didn’t tell ya…
That’s kinda what I do. ;)

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 11:00PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 10:42PM EDT
Quote

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

Looks like someone finally realised his entrance to the herd

Haha, I was linked to that earlier by a friend, I forgot to post it here though. Welcome to the herd John.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:58PM EDT
Quote

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

Why thank you Fridges.

As a gift, have some headcannon to think about (not mine)

So ponies are basically Asari is what this guy is saying.

Funny thing about headcanon, most of the time it makes me want to point a cannon at the writer’s head.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:59PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

@Fridge Logic and Connor the Brony
Both of you make sense.

There may be a somewhat equal amount of males offscreen and they are only presented when they need to be because it’s a girl focused show. In universe explanations may include all of the men staying in the kitchen or something, and they get to go to the Gala because of their magical fairy godmother…pony…

Connor is right. It doesn’t make sense in true genetics because having more than two letters equals all kinds of complication, but I’d say that each parent passes off more than one chromosome to get back to a full set of 5 or 6 or how ever many.

OR IMPLIED FIVESOMES UP IN THIS STABLE

EDIT:
Daruqe wrote:

TL;DR.

Not terribly surprised there, but if the username and teal deer avatar didn’t tell ya…
That’s kinda what I do. ;)

Naw, is cool lol.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:02PM EDT
Quote

All this talk of genetics is gonna confuse derpy.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 11:24PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:23PM EDT

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

Why thank you Fridges.

As a gift, have some headcannon to think about (not mine)

I love that pic and everything associated with it. Here is another good one:

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:23PM EDT
Quote

Platus wrote:

I love that pic and everything associated with it. Here is another good one:

I posted that one cause IMO was the one that made sense the most.
Alas, glad you liked it.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:29PM EDT
Quote

Personally, I like to think of the ponies as non-sexual beings. It is, after all, a children’s show.

Therefore I propose that ponies reproduce through spontaneous generation.

And they die through spontaneous combustion.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:31PM EDT
Quote

Beans wrote:

Personally, I like to think of the ponies as non-sexual beings. It is, after all, a children’s show.

Therefore I propose that ponies reproduce through spontaneous generation.

And they die through spontaneous combustion.

I don’t get this shielding kids from sex crap, honestly.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:34PM EDT
Quote

Beans wrote:

Personally, I like to think of the ponies as non-sexual beings. It is, after all, a children’s show.

Therefore I propose that ponies reproduce through spontaneous generation.

And they die through spontaneous combustion.

Oh wait… TWILIGHT NOOOOOOO

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:35PM EDT

Beans wrote:

Personally, I like to think of the ponies as non-sexual beings. It is, after all, a children’s show.

Therefore I propose that ponies reproduce through spontaneous generation.

And they die through spontaneous combustion.

The first two lines of that post are incredibly boring. The third is something that Pinkie Pie would think of, and has my approval.

Bronydude11 said:

I posted that one cause IMO was the one that made sense the most.
Alas, glad you liked it.

It makes quite a bit of sense indeed. You have made very many good posts this day.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:36PM EDT
Quote

Platus wrote:

The first two lines of that post are incredibly boring. The third is something that Pinkie Pie would think of, and has my approval.

Bronydude11 said:

I posted that one cause IMO was the one that made sense the most.
Alas, glad you liked it.

It makes quite a bit of sense indeed. You have made very many good posts this day.

That was my point. Dull exposition leading to a punchline. ba-dum tshh

But really though, I don’t have anything to add to the pony genetics discussion. I’ve never really given it any thought.

And no, I don’t really want ponies to burst into flame.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:40PM EDT
Quote

Beans wrote:

That was my point. Dull exposition leading to a punchline. ba-dum tshh

But really though, I don’t have anything to add to the pony genetics discussion. I’ve never really given it any thought.

And no, I don’t really want ponies to burst into flame.

We didn’t start the friendship
It was always magic, it was never tragic

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:51PM EDT
Quote

So what do commentators do? Now time to think of the genetics of the pony types. I will be complicated and convoluted and will include recessive genes passed with the dominant ones. There. Will. Be. Blood!

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:53PM EDT
Quote

❀Daruqe❀ wrote:

I don’t get this shielding kids from sex crap, honestly.

Yeh! All kids shows should have hard core penetration, constant violence and foul language! Screw trying to preserve the innocence of childhood that can lead to the healthy development of a sociable human being! We WANT all of our kids to get pregnant and riddled with STDs at the age of fifteen because they where never taught the importance of anything but sex!

Cynicism and constant perversion is the only way for a person to live happily, and that totally doesn’t go against the very CORE of the brony community!

/sarcasm

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:53PM EDT
Quote

@Verbose
as far as genetics and sex of ponies I give you this clasic
[photo:99038]
@ Johndelancie’s quote
[photo:98456]

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:54PM EDT
Quote

Platus wrote:

I love that pic and everything associated with it. Here is another good one:

I want Lyra & Bon Bon to be canon. Have them walk out the same house and are always next to each other. Kinda like what they are doing now, but leaving moar hints. They can defend it by saying, “it’s not unrealistic, there are lesbians in real life.” Twould be cute.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:56PM EDT
Quote

@Alcarran: Naw, that was just Twilight evolving into Rapidash. Haha, as a matter of fact, I caught an extra Rapidash just so I could name it Twilight.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:57PM EDT
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

Yeh! All kids shows should have hard core penetration, constant violence and foul language! Screw trying to preserve the innocence of childhood that can lead to the healthy development of a sociable human being! We WANT all of our kids to get pregnant and riddled with STDs at the age of fifteen because they where never taught the importance of anything but sex!

Cynicism and constant perversion is the only way for a person to live happily, and that totally doesn’t go against the very CORE of the brony community!

/sarcasm

At first I was all:

Then I was all:

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:58PM EDT
Quote

Caramel wrote:

So what do commentators do? Now time to think of the genetics of the pony types. I will be complicated and convoluted and will include recessive genes passed with the dominant ones. There. Will. Be. Blood!

I always thought that’s what Commentators were supposed to do. We use big words. We use varied sentence structures. We may be entitled to cookies.

Headcanon has its place. I have my own head cannons. In fact, I ship Mr. and Mrs. Cake.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:05AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

I always thought that’s what Commentators were supposed to do. We use big words. We use varied sentence structures. We may be entitled to cookies.

Headcanon has its place. I have my own head cannons. In fact, I ship Mr. and Mrs. Cake.

You ship… those two… WITH EACH OTHER?!

That’s just… unnatural. It’s not right for a husband and wife to be romantically involved with each other. Makes me downright sick just thinking about it. Your head cannon is sick and twisted, my friend.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:10AM EDT
Quote

Caramel wrote:

I want Lyra & Bon Bon to be canon. Have them walk out the same house and are always next to each other. Kinda like what they are doing now, but leaving moar hints. They can defend it by saying, “it’s not unrealistic, there are lesbians in real life.” Twould be cute.

Yes, this must be cannon. It would do much good for the world.

Verbose said:

I always thought that’s what Commentators were supposed to do. We use big words. We use varied sentence structures. We may be entitled to cookies.

You think dominant and recessive genes make things complicated? Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_trait_locus

Basically, there are some physical traits (phenotypes) which come about because of two or more genes interacting with each other. Both genes must be present and active for the particular phenotype to appear. Try factoring that into your models.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:16AM EDT
Quote

Beans wrote:

You ship… those two… WITH EACH OTHER?!

That’s just… unnatural. It’s not right for a husband and wife to be romantically involved with each other. Makes me downright sick just thinking about it. Your head cannon is sick and twisted, my friend.

[photo:174632]

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:19AM EDT
Quote

Platus wrote:

Basically, there are some physical traits (phenotypes) which come about because of two or more genes interacting with each other. Both genes must be present and active for the particular phenotype to appear. Try factoring that into your models.

We were discussing a similar phenomenon in one of my classes. Genetics determine alcoholism and other conditions to a certain degree, but the condition isn’t expressed without another factor, usually something environmental that causes a mutation or something more direct like alcohol.

This seems to indicate something a bit rarer. That might explain non-royal alicorns like Nyx…no wait, she came from if they randomly appear in offspring.

Wait…randomly app…maybe that explains shiny Pokèmon!

Hold on, this isn’t Sinnoh…

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:27AM EDT
Quote
There may be a somewhat equal amount of males offscreen and they are only presented when they need to be because it’s a girl focused show. In universe explanations may include all of the men staying in the kitchen or something…

Actually, I have noticed that most of the colts seen in the show are in servile societal positions -- guards, waiters, wagon pullers and the like; there does seem to be a distinct second-class disenfranchisement vibe given off in regards to male ponies in Equestia. Snips and Snails are also very undereducated, possibly meaning that males are not given equivalent education (they are not normally in the school room and only appear during the field trip in the first episode of this season).

The exceptions are incredibly foppish (like that clothing designer or Prince Blueblood) OR in Apploosa. The latter is particularly interesting in that it’s a new town, indicating that Equestia is also an expansionist power.

Perhaps males who go forth and expand the borders of Equestia are given special consideration and are allowed some political autonomy in exchange for handling the hardships of being on the frontier.

Last edited Sep 20, 2011 at 12:42AM EDT
Sep 20, 2011 at 12:41AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

I always thought that’s what Commentators were supposed to do. We use big words. We use varied sentence structures. We may be entitled to cookies.

Headcanon has its place. I have my own head cannons. In fact, I ship Mr. and Mrs. Cake.

Big words?

indubitably.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:41AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

Platus wrote:

Basically, there are some physical traits (phenotypes) which come about because of two or more genes interacting with each other. Both genes must be present and active for the particular phenotype to appear. Try factoring that into your models.

We were discussing a similar phenomenon in one of my classes. Genetics determine alcoholism and other conditions to a certain degree, but the condition isn’t expressed without another factor, usually something environmental that causes a mutation or something more direct like alcohol.

This seems to indicate something a bit rarer. That might explain non-royal alicorns like Nyx…no wait, she came from if they randomly appear in offspring.

Wait…randomly app…maybe that explains shiny Pokèmon!

Hold on, this isn’t Sinnoh…

Shiny Rayquaza? /)^3^(\

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:41AM EDT

Verbose wrote:

Platus wrote:

Basically, there are some physical traits (phenotypes) which come about because of two or more genes interacting with each other. Both genes must be present and active for the particular phenotype to appear. Try factoring that into your models.

We were discussing a similar phenomenon in one of my classes. Genetics determine alcoholism and other conditions to a certain degree, but the condition isn’t expressed without another factor, usually something environmental that causes a mutation or something more direct like alcohol.

This seems to indicate something a bit rarer. That might explain non-royal alicorns like Nyx…no wait, she came from if they randomly appear in offspring.

Wait…randomly app…maybe that explains shiny Pokèmon!

Hold on, this isn’t Sinnoh…

I like where this thread is going.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:43AM EDT
Quote

Well the best way to end a good day, is with a good night. Why couldn’t all days be this fun?

Good Night Everypony

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:43AM EDT
Quote

Does anyone have that comic with Luna in bed, and on the third panel there’s a Hentai Woody?

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:46AM EDT
Quote

I’m not going to quote…pretty much every post before this, and I’m just going to say you all win.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:51AM EDT
Quote

ScreamingDoom wrote:

There may be a somewhat equal amount of males offscreen and they are only presented when they need to be because it’s a girl focused show. In universe explanations may include all of the men staying in the kitchen or something…

Actually, I have noticed that most of the colts seen in the show are in servile societal positions -- guards, waiters, wagon pullers and the like; there does seem to be a distinct second-class disenfranchisement vibe given off in regards to male ponies in Equestia. Snips and Snails are also very undereducated, possibly meaning that males are not given equivalent education (they are not normally in the school room and only appear during the field trip in the first episode of this season).

The exceptions are incredibly foppish (like that clothing designer or Prince Blueblood) OR in Apploosa. The latter is particularly interesting in that it’s a new town, indicating that Equestia is also an expansionist power.

Perhaps males who go forth and expand the borders of Equestia are given special consideration and are allowed some political autonomy in exchange for handling the hardships of being on the frontier.

Appaloosa had to be a frontier town because of the story. When most people think of horses they think cowboys. It was just a matter of time before the did a western. But what I found somewhat disturbing not that they did a cowboys and indians story but that they did portray the chief as somewhat of an idiot. Even though in the end the story is about living together and sharing it was a little on the racist side. I’m surprised that there was no protest from indian tribes after all they have made protests against sports mascots.

Sep 20, 2011 at 01:02AM EDT
Quote

Guh. What. Why. No. Too far. No more genetics talk. Stop ruining my ponies. Go back to Applejack scrunchy-face.

Sep 20, 2011 at 01:02AM EDT
Quote

Godzillan wrote:

@RussianFedora

But Scootaloo has purple hair!


Better?

Sep 20, 2011 at 01:05AM EDT
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

Yeh! All kids shows should have hard core penetration, constant violence and foul language! Screw trying to preserve the innocence of childhood that can lead to the healthy development of a sociable human being! We WANT all of our kids to get pregnant and riddled with STDs at the age of fifteen because they where never taught the importance of anything but sex!

Cynicism and constant perversion is the only way for a person to live happily, and that totally doesn’t go against the very CORE of the brony community!

/sarcasm

…That’s not what I said. How does knowing about sex and not being all uptight about it make people unhealthy?

Sep 20, 2011 at 01:07AM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

Guh. What. Why. No. Too far. No more genetics talk. Stop ruining my ponies. Go back to Applejack scrunchy-face.

Oh, you... Twilight has best scrunchy face!

Sep 20, 2011 at 01:10AM EDT
Quote

Godzillan wrote:

Does anyone have that comic with Luna in bed, and on the third panel there’s a Hentai Woody?

Sep 20, 2011 at 01:14AM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

Guh. What. Why. No. Too far. No more genetics talk. Stop ruining my ponies. Go back to Applejack scrunchy-face.

We weren’t talkin’ about genetics! We weren’t talkin’ about genetics at all!

We were talkin’ about chocolate milk!

Sep 20, 2011 at 01:24AM EDT
Quote




Dear god, it’s hilarious.

Sep 20, 2011 at 02:53AM EDT

Off topic, but the Charlie Sheen roast was hilarious. Shatner for the win all the way!

Last edited Sep 20, 2011 at 03:09AM EDT
Sep 20, 2011 at 03:07AM EDT

[photo:100796]
I have Dash in my sights
Taking the shot
[photo:166208]
[photo:98572]
Mmmmmm Cupckes
[photo:123570]

Sep 20, 2011 at 03:46AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

[photo:100796]
I have Dash in my sights
Taking the shot
[photo:166208]
[photo:98572]
Mmmmmm Cupckes
[photo:123570]

Sep 20, 2011 at 03:57AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

[photo:100796]
I have Dash in my sights
Taking the shot
[photo:166208]
[photo:98572]
Mmmmmm Cupckes
[photo:123570]

Sep 20, 2011 at 04:09AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!