Forums / Discussion / General

168,548 total conversations in 5,398 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General

Last posted Oct 06, 2011 at 09:42PM EDT. Added Feb 11, 2011 at 03:26PM EST
9959 posts from 189 users

Algernon wrote:

I could be wrong here, but I think the first time Luna was depicted with an abacus was in the fanfic Progress (It’s a good comedy fic, you should check it out). She uses it in the first chapter while trying to use a microwave, and gets pretty attached to it over time. Due to her isolation on the moon she misses the invention of the calculator, so she chooses to use an abacus simply because it’s an ancient mathematical tool she’s more familiar with. Any fanart showing Luna with an abacus is likely a reference to the fic. As much as I wish the reason were as interesting as badsitrep’s answer, I think the reality is simpler than that. As for Lyra, I’ve got nothing.

Verbose wrote:

On that note, what do you guys bring to the pony discussion table?

All I’ve got is a weird obsession with fan fiction. My subject of choice is physics, and there’s never any reason to bring it up when talking ponies.

burning_phoneix wrote:

How do I quote multiple people on this forum?

I just figured it out myself. While most functions on the forums can use Textile (links, images, bold text etc), blockquotes need to use HTML. It uses this format:
< blockquote > text you want to quote < /blockquote >
(You have to remove the spaces from the tags on either side of the text)

Its probably true.

Sep 09, 2011 at 08:21AM EDT
I just figured it out myself. While most functions on the forums can use Textile (links, images, bold text etc), blockquotes need to use HTML. It uses this format:

Thank you, you are a prince amongst men.

Go here or here

You are also a prince amongst men.

On that note, what do you guys bring to the pony discussion table? For example, badsitrep has some knowledge of mythology, and I have my social science background. Normally, I use it to describe the fandom and the reaction to the show and the fandom, but it comes up in episode discussion too.

I occasionally make TF2 comics about bronies that are mildly entertaining.

Other than that I got nothin’.

Sep 09, 2011 at 08:22AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Thank you, you are a prince amongst men.

Go here or here

You are also a prince amongst men.

On that note, what do you guys bring to the pony discussion table? For example, badsitrep has some knowledge of mythology, and I have my social science background. Normally, I use it to describe the fandom and the reaction to the show and the fandom, but it comes up in episode discussion too.

I occasionally make TF2 comics about bronies that are mildly entertaining.

Other than that I got nothin’.

A link to your comics would be awesome.

Sep 09, 2011 at 08:58AM EDT

What you have just seen is my first attempt at posting an image. It was successful.

Also, I am now a Gold Member. Huzzah!

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 09:31AM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 09:29AM EDT

time to share a really embarracing secret with you… why? because you deserve a good laugh:

each time after i finish praying (3 times a day) i then deovte.. make a moment to ask that MLP fandom will contnue to be popular and loved and that there will be less haters…

i regret nothing

Sep 09, 2011 at 09:49AM EDT

Jolly Jew wrote:

time to share a really embarracing secret with you… why? because you deserve a good laugh:

each time after i finish praying (3 times a day) i then deovte.. make a moment to ask that MLP fandom will contnue to be popular and loved and that there will be less haters…

i regret nothing

You shouldn’t either, that sure is an awesome use of religion.

Sep 09, 2011 at 10:26AM EDT

Freakinator wrote:

A link to your comics would be awesome.

I upload them to Know Your Meme as soon as I’m done with them:

My first one:
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/143433-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic#.TmolE9Qpgrw

And this one is new:
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/171833-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic#.TmolFNQpgrw

Sep 09, 2011 at 10:40AM EDT

Good mornin everypony tis friday and it is beautiful outside. So we are now 7 days away from season two yay. I have nothing to do today so i guess its ponies all day =D.

Sep 09, 2011 at 10:57AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

I upload them to Know Your Meme as soon as I’m done with them:

My first one:
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/143433-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic#.TmolE9Qpgrw

And this one is new:
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/171833-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic#.TmolFNQpgrw

So, you’re the one who did that deal with the Sniper? I applaud you good sir.

Sep 09, 2011 at 11:05AM EDT

Verbose wrote:

@badsitrep
I think your knowledge is welcome here. Don’t apologize.

And if that’s too weird of a question, I haven’t posted a picture in a while so here’s Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie really likes being in photographs…

I have knowledge on most of the memes related to ponies and also the development around it, does that count? When it comes to studies and stuff, most of my knowledge is hard to combine with MLP.

Platus follows the news quite well. Whenever a new article pops up that mentions us or there is new information released, he is usually the first one to post it.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 11:13AM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 11:11AM EDT

I started reading “On a Cross And Arrow” and I can say that so far, it’s REALLY good. Gonna try to read Rainbow Factory later, got my mind bleach ready next to me.

Sep 09, 2011 at 12:14PM EDT

Freakinator wrote:

I started reading “On a Cross And Arrow” and I can say that so far, it’s REALLY good. Gonna try to read Rainbow Factory later, got my mind bleach ready next to me.

I read rainbow factory last night an I didn’t think it was that bad
in fact I thought it was pretty good lol

Sep 09, 2011 at 12:18PM EDT

Freakinator wrote:

We salute you, those bronies who are about to die.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 12:21PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 12:21PM EDT

Freakinator wrote:

Just read “On a Cross and Arrow” last night! I loved it!

In fact, I made some Rainbow Blitz fanart just this morning to celebrate!

What does everypony think?

Sep 09, 2011 at 12:29PM EDT

Freakinator wrote:

I’ve been following that fic for a while now. I agree that it’s a great read, but the genderswap shipping made me feel uncomfortable for some reason (is that the right reaction?). You shouldn’t need any mind bleach for Rainbow Factory; it’s pretty tame by grimdark standards.

Beans the Brony wrote:

Nice work, makes me wish I knew how to draw.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 12:45PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 12:44PM EDT

Algernon wrote:

I’ve been following that fic for a while now. I agree that it’s a great read, but the genderswap shipping made me feel uncomfortable for some reason (is that the right reaction?). You shouldn’t need any mind bleach for Rainbow Factory; it’s pretty tame by grimdark standards.

Beans the Brony wrote:

Nice work, makes me wish I knew how to draw.

You and me both. Me Y U no can draw?!

Sep 09, 2011 at 12:56PM EDT

Ashki wrote:

You and me both. Me Y U no can draw?!

I’m with you both. But we could make stick-ponies, can’t be that hard.

Sep 09, 2011 at 01:03PM EDT

Yeah! On a Cross And Arrow has been one of the funniest stories I’ve read so far. I used to hate shipping from the bottom of my heart, and I pretty much still do. BUT in this case, I’m willing to make an exception, it’s just that good. Maybe I’ll take a chance and read the Vinyl Scratch Tapes too someday, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go when it comes to shipping.

@ Beans the Brony

Oh, cool. I didn’t like Blitz all that much in the fic at first, but later on, I started liking him more. The pic is quite nice for a beginner, and my own ponies looked pretty much the same as yours when I started out drawing them. I could throw some tips and constructive criticism if you need some.

Personally I’m working on a ponified version of the movie poster made for Neon Genesis Evangelion – Death and Rebirth, named Neon Equus Evangelion. NERV got changed to HERD of course, and Spike combined with EVA is quite… Interesting. Unfortunately I’m still scetching it out, so it’ll take a while before I’ll finish it. I’ll be sure to share it with you guys when it’s complete.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 01:19PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 01:17PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

Yeah! On a Cross And Arrow has been one of the funniest stories I’ve read so far. I used to hate shipping from the bottom of my heart, and I pretty much still do. BUT in this case, I’m willing to make an exception, it’s just that good. Maybe I’ll take a chance and read the Vinyl Scratch Tapes too someday, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go when it comes to shipping.

@ Beans the Brony

Oh, cool. I didn’t like Blitz all that much in the fic at first, but later on, I started liking him more. The pic is quite nice for a beginner, and my own ponies looked pretty much the same as yours when I started out drawing them. I could throw some tips and constructive criticism if you need some.

Personally I’m working on a ponified version of the movie poster made for Neon Genesis Evangelion – Death and Rebirth, named Neon Equus Evangelion. NERV got changed to HERD of course, and Spike combined with EVA is quite… Interesting. Unfortunately I’m still scetching it out, so it’ll take a while before I’ll finish it. I’ll be sure to share it with you guys when it’s complete.

Read The Vinyl Scratch Tapes, it’s really awesome.

Sep 09, 2011 at 01:23PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

I have knowledge on most of the memes related to ponies and also the development around it, does that count? When it comes to studies and stuff, most of my knowledge is hard to combine with MLP.

Platus follows the news quite well. Whenever a new article pops up that mentions us or there is new information released, he is usually the first one to post it.

Aw, thanks Random, you’re really good at this too.

Sep 09, 2011 at 01:34PM EDT

Going back to my question about our individual expertise, I thought it would be good to know who has knowledge of certain subjects. Personally, it helps give me an idea of where people are coming from.

Given that there is a Brony community on KYM, I felt as if we should feel free to bring our unique perspectives, experiences, and pastimes in hopes of establishing a “Brony network” of sorts (which is happening a bit anyway.) Spreading diversity. Becoming more well-rounded. Stuff like that. _badsitrep_’s insight just made me think to ask about it.

@RandomMan
Yeah, your work and knowledge here definitely counts.

Now, please continue with the Pony.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 01:41PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 01:34PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

@ Beans the Brony

Hey thanks. Any advice (I love constructive criticism) you have on drawing would be great! I’m still pretty new, and my resources aren’t great (Crayola colored pencils FTW), so I’d love to have some tips from an established artist. I’ve seen some of your work that you’ve posted on here; it’s really fantastic stuff.

Sep 09, 2011 at 01:49PM EDT

POSSIBLE “On A Cross And Arrow” SPOILERS BELOW!

I just finished reading “On A Cross And Arrow”, goddamnit, it was awesome. I think that there will be a part 2 when Season 2 is released, and they’ll probably visit again. I feel great and don’t wanna ruin my mood by reading Rainbow Factory, so it’ll have to wait till’ the morning. I’ve been hardcore hyped by Warhammer 40K: Space Marines for a long time, and I have barely played it, I’ve been so busy reading this awesome story. I sincerely hope that there’ll be a second part.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 02:38PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 02:37PM EDT

Beans wrote:

Hey thanks. Any advice (I love constructive criticism) you have on drawing would be great! I’m still pretty new, and my resources aren’t great (Crayola colored pencils FTW), so I’d love to have some tips from an established artist. I’ve seen some of your work that you’ve posted on here; it’s really fantastic stuff.

I can give you a few links to tutorials and stuff. I don’t know how to make direct links, so this’ll have to do.

First of all, here’s a set of multiple tutorials to help you out. Be sure to scetch out your characters like they do in these tutorials with a pencil. Don’t use a lot of pressure, so that you can erase the extra lines when the picture is finished.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/01/pony-drawing-guides.html

Here is a Drawfriend Stuff post with lots of really good scetches. These have helped me out a lot, so I recommend you save them, and take a look at ’em when seeking out new ways to draw something.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/07/drawfriend-stuff-122.html

Then about the picture you drew. The thing that I noticed first, was that he lacks any neck, so try to make it a bit longer the next time. You’ve also got some sharp angles going on. Mainly the hind legs. So you might want to try out and smoothen out some angles, especially if you’re going to draw fillies. Take a look at how they go in the real show, and on the tutorials.

But remember that I have drawn ponies since april, and I still don’t know how to draw legs well. They’re really difficult. And to be honest, I don’t know how to draw colts or alicorns either.

Then about the colors. You can do pretty well with just color pencils, but photoshop and other digital methods might work better since the show is done with Flash. Personally I don’t follow the style of the show so closely, so my colors aren’t as flat as they are in the show.

So, do you want your drawings to be like the style of the show, or are you going to try out with more shades and tones in every area?

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 02:56PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 02:52PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

I don’t know how to make direct links…

It’s somewhat complicated and easy to mix-up (for me at least.)

“Put what the link should say in quotes”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTl9S

• Remove the space between the colon and the URL (the “http://blahblah…” part)

=

Put what the link should say in quotes

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:36PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

I can give you a few links to tutorials and stuff. I don’t know how to make direct links, so this’ll have to do.

First of all, here’s a set of multiple tutorials to help you out. Be sure to scetch out your characters like they do in these tutorials with a pencil. Don’t use a lot of pressure, so that you can erase the extra lines when the picture is finished.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/01/pony-drawing-guides.html

Here is a Drawfriend Stuff post with lots of really good scetches. These have helped me out a lot, so I recommend you save them, and take a look at ’em when seeking out new ways to draw something.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/07/drawfriend-stuff-122.html

Then about the picture you drew. The thing that I noticed first, was that he lacks any neck, so try to make it a bit longer the next time. You’ve also got some sharp angles going on. Mainly the hind legs. So you might want to try out and smoothen out some angles, especially if you’re going to draw fillies. Take a look at how they go in the real show, and on the tutorials.

But remember that I have drawn ponies since april, and I still don’t know how to draw legs well. They’re really difficult. And to be honest, I don’t know how to draw colts or alicorns either.

Then about the colors. You can do pretty well with just color pencils, but photoshop and other digital methods might work better since the show is done with Flash. Personally I don’t follow the style of the show so closely, so my colors aren’t as flat as they are in the show.

So, do you want your drawings to be like the style of the show, or are you going to try out with more shades and tones in every area?

Why thank you, even I might be able to create a pony with those guides. Not a pretty pony, but a pony.

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:36PM EDT

New Season 2 Screenshot!

Chocolate Rain……some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:43PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

New Season 2 Screenshot!

If the rain is brown, why does Rainbow Dash open her mouth?

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:44PM EDT

Xelus Shnider wrote:

Cause it’s chocolate rain. I wonder where Pinkie is at, she’d love that.

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:45PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

New Season 2 Screenshot!

Tay Zonday better make a guest appearance.

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:48PM EDT

Xelus Shnider wrote:

Because chocolate sure is tasty.

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:49PM EDT

Ashki wrote:

Cause it’s chocolate rain. I wonder where Pinkie is at, she’d love that.

Well it is a land full of marshmellowy sugary colorful ponies… Raining Chocolate seems as legit as everything in that show.

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:50PM EDT

Record19 wrote:

Finally, im home from school, back to ponies :D

Party Hard?

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:00PM EDT

Hmm… Does anyone know how soon episode 1 of Season 2 might go up on YouTube or some such site after it premiers? I don’t have the Hub so that’s a bit of a problem for me. I was counting on this guy uploading it, but someone filed a copyright claim against him and he’s still investigating if it legitimately was Hasbro, so I’m at a loss as to where and when I’m going to watch it now.

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:09PM EDT

aerolyt wrote:

Hmm… Does anyone know how soon episode 1 of Season 2 might go up on YouTube or some such site after it premiers? I don’t have the Hub so that’s a bit of a problem for me. I was counting on this guy uploading it, but someone filed a copyright claim against him and he’s still investigating if it legitimately was Hasbro, so I’m at a loss as to where and when I’m going to watch it now.

I have the Hub, but it’s going on at about 8:30 A.M. if I remember correctly. I’ll probably miss it too, so, yeah.

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:12PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

I have the Hub, but it’s going on at about 8:30 A.M. if I remember correctly. I’ll probably miss it too, so, yeah.

I will probably too. no one spoil it.

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:31PM EDT

quick question, what is considered the best network (Dish Network for example) that has HUB?
cause my grandpa is talking about getting cable boxes for the TV’s around the house
oh, and i completed the intro to my fanfic,
here# or you can look up"Fateful Fog" on google

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 04:41PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 04:37PM EDT

Record19 wrote:

quick question, what is considered the best network (Dish Network for example) that has HUB?
cause my grandpa is talking about getting cable boxes for the TV’s around the house

I have AT&T, and it’s great. So I dunno, lol.

Regarding the fanfic thing, don’t use “AB”, please. Just say Apple Bloom. AB looks silly.

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:50PM EDT

Ideological the Vinyl Scratch wrote:

Is it an Apple Bloom fanfic?

No, I used the CMC to start the intro to my fanfic, but she’ll come up several times

Sep 09, 2011 at 05:04PM EDT

Record19 wrote:

Hum, nice intro, but could u tell the type of fanfic it is?

Sep 09, 2011 at 05:05PM EDT

Mentlegen.
First time posting here dont knw hwats goin on here right now.
ill simply post poni of my creation ergo

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 05:11PM EDT
Sep 09, 2011 at 05:06PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!