Forums / General

195,591 total conversations in 5,383 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General

Last posted Oct 06, 2011 at 09:42PM EDT. Added Feb 11, 2011 at 03:26PM EST
9,959 conversations with 189 participants

Beans wrote:

Yeah. I thought it was so over-the-top to the point where it was ridiculous.

This is understandable. I find it difficult to take things seriously myself when it seems like the creator is just taking every opportunity they can to try to upset me, scare me or gross me out.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:11PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

This is understandable. I find it difficult to take things seriously myself when it seems like the creator is just taking every opportunity they can to try to upset me, scare me or gross me out.

Now I must read it. Brb.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:12PM EDT

Holy crackers! This thread has reached page 97 three days before season 2 officially airs on TV?!

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:14PM EDT

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

You think we should try to get to the 100th right now?

if its gonna be something inappropriate, spam or anything else unpleasant. Then no. No need to force this.

Gotta be nice :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:21PM EDT

omgitsmr wrote:

if its gonna be something inappropriate, spam or anything else unpleasant. Then no. No need to force this.

Gotta be nice :)

Seconded. Let’s talk about something appropriate and not spam images and gifs.

Anyways, I know some of you may have seen my post in the MLP: FiM comments page, but because I live in the West Coast, I’m going to have to watch the MLP episode on Youtube when it is uploaded on that site. Plus, I do not have The Hub Channel on my TV, so it’s a bummer for me. =P

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:30PM EDT

No spamming to 100, give it time, we will reach our goal.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:35PM EDT

Blue Yoshi wrote:

Seconded. Let’s talk about something appropriate and not spam images and gifs.

Anyways, I know some of you may have seen my post in the MLP: FiM comments page, but because I live in the West Coast, I’m going to have to watch the MLP episode on Youtube when it is uploaded on that site. Plus, I do not have The Hub Channel on my TV, so it’s a bummer for me. =P

Similar situation. The Hub isnt available where I am. I can technically pull of something amazing with satellite signals but that would require a ton of paperwork, driving, technical electronics stuff. (Since its fully legal)

Living in the middle of nowhere isnt exactly amazing.

I gotta wait for it to be uploaded to YouTube.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:35PM EDT

I gotta say I’ve enjoyed sharing the season 2 anticipation with you guys. I started watching the show shortly after episode 26 aired, so I never got to follow the series as new episodes air yet.

But soon I will :D

Last edited Sep 14, 2011 at 10:44PM EDT
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:42PM EDT

omgitsmr wrote:

Similar situation. The Hub isnt available where I am. I can technically pull of something amazing with satellite signals but that would require a ton of paperwork, driving, technical electronics stuff. (Since its fully legal)

Living in the middle of nowhere isnt exactly amazing.

I gotta wait for it to be uploaded to YouTube.

Yeah, but how about that website people say will be live-stream the premiere, Bronystate.com?
I’ll go there on Saturday and cross my fingers to make it be true

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:42PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

I gotta say I’ve enjoyed sharing the season 2 anticipation with you guys. I started watching the show shortly after episode 26 aired, so I never got to follow the series as new episodes air yet.

But soon I will :D

Likewise. I got into this right around the time “The Best night Ever” aired, so this is going to be new to me too.
The drought before season 3 is going to be interesting though, since we’ll all know the drill (Fanfiction, re-imagining, and lots and lots of shipping).

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:50PM EDT

Beans wrote:

I have the Hub on my TV.

Thats what I get for not living where people should live. Seriously.

I dont get electronics, TV, proper internet, .

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:58PM EDT

Beans wrote:

I have the Hub on my TV.

ALL OF MY JELLY.

Responding to other posts, I believe I caught up just before A Dog and Pony Show. Rarity shot up to third favorite pony after that. It’s fun to talk with other people in anticipation, although I probably didn’t start posting here in earnest until after Episode 26.

Oh. Do you guys like it when webcomics, newspapers, and other media talk about ponies?

• I like it, because I want to see how people respond to such spread and just how much something like FiM can spread. Sociological curiosity and whatnot. And I like ponies.
  • I dislike it because people that don’t like it kinda see ponies everywhere. And I’m sure that’s annoying. I mean, half of the webcomics I currently read (i.e., Candi, Least I Could Do, Menage a 3, Questionable Content, and Sinfest) have had Pony art or straight pony references. If I didn’t like ponies, I’d probably be flippin’ tables and shiz.

Also, have you guys seen the Pinkie Pie gif in the banner of that hentai website? I found it hilarious.

Somebody please convince TFS DBZ Abridged to make a FiM reference.

Last edited Sep 14, 2011 at 11:13PM EDT
Sep 14, 2011 at 11:12PM EDT

@Platus, Iamslow & Verbose
Yea, I was pretty damn late to the party too (like 3 and a half weeks after s1 finished late), and i always liked following shows as the episodes aired, so this’ll be great.

Also @Beans
me too

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:16PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

Beans wrote:

I have the Hub on my TV.

ALL OF MY JELLY.

Responding to other posts, I believe I caught up just before A Dog and Pony Show. Rarity shot up to third favorite pony after that. It’s fun to talk with other people in anticipation, although I probably didn’t start posting here in earnest until after Episode 26.

Oh. Do you guys like it when webcomics, newspapers, and other media talk about ponies?

• I like it, because I want to see how people respond to such spread and just how much something like FiM can spread. Sociological curiosity and whatnot. And I like ponies.
  • I dislike it because people that don’t like it kinda see ponies everywhere. And I’m sure that’s annoying. I mean, half of the webcomics I currently read (i.e., Candi, Least I Could Do, Menage a 3, Questionable Content, and Sinfest) have had Pony art or straight pony references. If I didn’t like ponies, I’d probably be flippin’ tables and shiz.

Also, have you guys seen the Pinkie Pie gif in the banner of that hentai website? I found it hilarious.

Somebody please convince TFS DBZ Abridged to make a FiM reference.

I really like seeing articles about the fandom, the more detailed and well-researched the better. If we can get more mainstream attention it could de-stigmatize the fandom, which will in turn draw more people to us, thereby strengthening the fandom and, be extension, increasing the show’s cultural impact.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:29PM EDT

I personally became a fan of the show in July (i.e. after all episodes had already aired) and so this whole “waiting for new pony episodes” is new to me. Very exciting, I might add. I’m looking forward to following along with the fanbase throughout the run of this season.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:32PM EDT

Caramel wrote:

Get this and this off. MY. INTERNETZ!!!

Ha ha.

You said “get…off.”

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:47PM EDT

My brain is full of pony and Epic Sax Guy. Think it’s time to hit the hay.

Feels like I forgot something.

Homework: stands outside and sings Baby Come Back

Me: brain is full of 10 hours of Epic Sax Guy, doesn’t receive message

Atleast I get Friday off school this week.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:52PM EDT

Well, everypony, before I depart for bed I shall leave you with a question to discuss.

Why has Octavia received so much more attention than the other members of the ensemble at the Grand Galloping Gala?

And, go.

Night, y’all.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:00AM EDT

Beans wrote:

Well, everypony, before I depart for bed I shall leave you with a question to discuss.

Why has Octavia received so much more attention than the other members of the ensemble at the Grand Galloping Gala?

And, go.

Night, y’all.

Cellos are awesome, however so are seusaphones (if that’t how you spell it) also because she looks like Pinkie’s sister and because she is the opposite of Vinyl Scratch (the cello being a purely classical instrument while piano and tuba can be moar lively). Dats mah two bits worth.

I want a dream with Luna in it. Gimme wat I want brain!

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 12:11AM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 12:10AM EDT

Xelus Shnider wrote:

My brain is full of pony and Epic Sax Guy. Think it’s time to hit the hay.

Feels like I forgot something.

Homework: stands outside and sings Baby Come Back

Me: brain is full of 10 hours of Epic Sax Guy, doesn’t receive message

Atleast I get Friday off school this week.

I have no idea what you’re talking about, but it sounds awesome.

I reward you with Epic Sax Guy and Best Pony at the same time.

Although, it doesn’t have the same appeal as the original Epic Sax Guy hump, shift, and sax pump.

Beans wrote:

I think there are a few reasons: (Verbose and his bulleted lists…)

• She’s female.
  • She’s got a nice, sophisticated, easy-to-grasp design.
  • There was the theory that she may be Pinkie’s sister, so that helped her more than the other female pony.

And probably from those, she had more of a headstart on notoriety.

• She got more of the art and since she’s an easy to draw, elegant pony, more artists (and therefore more excellent artists, assuming random distribution of excellent artists among ponies,) and therefore better art.
  • The abundance of art, good art, and ahem, interesting art…probably led to people liking her more. Leading to fanfics and more art. And tumblr’s.

I really can’t link

to this tumblr enough.

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 12:24AM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 12:18AM EDT

Almost there! Now I need to think of something to put for the “one day left” one.

Sep 15, 2011 at 01:39AM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

Almost there! Now I need to think of something to put for the “one day left” one.

Oh lord only two days left

Sep 15, 2011 at 01:58AM EDT

Beans wrote:

And, go.

Night, y’all.

Because does she have a Cello or Double Bass?

WE MUST KNOW!

Sep 15, 2011 at 03:21AM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

I can’t wait. It will be awesome.

Sep 15, 2011 at 03:51AM EDT

Beans wrote:

And, go.

Night, y’all.

It’s simply because Octavia has a unique character design, and that cello is simply awesome. She’s kinda like a mascot for all the music loving Bronies like myself. Just like Scratch.

I really must draw Octavia in a fighting game spirit sometime soon. You know, with her cello acting like a giant sword. That’s gonna be SO AWESOME!

And anyone who thinks cello’s aren’t awesome, I point you to Octavia’s favourite band.

@burning_phoneix
I’m pretty certain it’s a cello. Remember that these are ponies, and they’re pretty small. A cello, which is medium sized for a human, is massive for a pony. And if a double bass is massive for a human, then what in Equestria would it be for Octavia?

Oh, and like you guys probably noticed, I changed my Moomintroll avatar to a classy Spike in a suit.

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:04AM EDT

gotta find someway to torture Pinkie, and wondering if the other mane cast should be brought into this outa Flare’s insanity, also, does anyone want their OC to fill in as Pinkie’s assistent? there gonna die, but i was just wondering
so now i got three fanfics to write
1. Flare’s backstory fanfic
2. Donuts
3. CMC swapping bodies with Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara with the exeption of one

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 06:17AM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 06:11AM EDT

Record19 wrote:

gotta find someway to torture Pinkie, and wondering if the other mane cast should be brought into this outa Flare’s insanity, also, does anyone want their OC to fill in as Pinkie’s assistent? there gonna die, but i was just wondering
2. Donuts
3. CMC swapping bodies with Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara with the exeption of one

Torture her with a banjo

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 06:20AM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 06:19AM EDT

Muumi wrote:

It’s simply because Octavia has a unique character design, and that cello is simply awesome. She’s kinda like a mascot for all the music loving Bronies like myself. Just like Scratch.

I really must draw Octavia in a fighting game spirit sometime soon. You know, with her cello acting like a giant sword. That’s gonna be SO AWESOME!

And anyone who thinks cello’s aren’t awesome, I point you to Octavia’s favourite band.

@burning_phoneix
I’m pretty certain it’s a cello. Remember that these are ponies, and they’re pretty small. A cello, which is medium sized for a human, is massive for a pony. And if a double bass is massive for a human, then what in Equestria would it be for Octavia?

Oh, and like you guys probably noticed, I changed my Moomintroll avatar to a classy Spike in a suit.

Someone actually did a measurement and found out that while standing on her hind hooves, Octavia can play a double bass.

A Double Bass is about 6 feet tall. An average pony standing upright is about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 07:30AM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 07:28AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Someone actually did a measurement and found out that while standing on her hind hooves, Octavia can play a double bass.

A Double Bass is about 6 feet tall. An average pony standing upright is about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hmm… Good point. But I’m still going to go with a cello, unless of course we get an official statement of it being a double bass / contrabass.

Both instruments are possible options, so we can’t say for sure. Maybe the writers/animators just didn’t think it that far. She plays a stringed instrument, and that’s all they needed to know. For regular folk, a cello and a contrabass might be too similar in form to differentiate.

Sep 15, 2011 at 07:55AM EDT

sup bronies, check out this awsome flash made in newgrounds about the show! don’t forget to vote 5 -you don’t need an account for that http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/579449

Sep 15, 2011 at 08:21AM EDT

Muumi wrote:

Hmm… Good point. But I’m still going to go with a cello, unless of course we get an official statement of it being a double bass / contrabass.

Both instruments are possible options, so we can’t say for sure. Maybe the writers/animators just didn’t think it that far. She plays a stringed instrument, and that’s all they needed to know. For regular folk, a cello and a contrabass might be too similar in form to differentiate.

The video explaining it is here:

My personal position?

It’s: Who gives a shit? it’s a show about magic talking ponies.

Sep 15, 2011 at 09:17AM EDT

Now there’s just one thing left.

HOW 2 HANDEL EMBARSSMINT
Because that’s what I am afraid of the most, especially since I don’t know ANY bronies in real life.

Sep 15, 2011 at 09:17AM EDT

Jolly Jew wrote:

sup bronies, check out this awsome flash made in newgrounds about the show! don’t forget to vote 5 -you don’t need an account for that http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/579449

SCOOTALOO, WHY?!

Sep 15, 2011 at 09:21AM EDT

Record19 wrote:

2. Donuts

Not sure if disappoint. Ummm… Lock her in her cellar until she suffocates from aal the chloroform/formaldehyde.

Sep 15, 2011 at 09:26AM EDT

Record19 wrote:

2. Donuts

@#3

Make the other one Scootaloo.

DO IT FAGGOT (Had to, because the song I have been listening to for the last 30 minutes has “DO IT FAGGOT” in it as it’s best part)

Sep 15, 2011 at 09:36AM EDT

Godzillan wrote:

Now there’s just one thing left.

HOW 2 HANDEL EMBARSSMINT
Because that’s what I am afraid of the most, especially since I don’t know ANY bronies in real life.

Before you tell anyone about being a brony, spend the day walking around in a tutu with a cucumber hanging around your neck by a string. Do not tell anyone why. The next day dress normally and then tell people about being a brony. You will find that the embarrassment that you feel on the second day will be far less than what you felt on the first.

truestory.jpg

Sep 15, 2011 at 09:45AM EDT

Platus wrote:

Before you tell anyone about being a brony, spend the day walking around in a tutu with a cucumber hanging around your neck by a string. Do not tell anyone why. The next day dress normally and then tell people about being a brony. You will find that the embarrassment that you feel on the second day will be far less than what you felt on the first.

truestory.jpg

yousureaboutthat.wav

I think I would rather just turn it on.

Sep 15, 2011 at 09:48AM EDT

Rainbow Dash reference @4:31.

That made my day.

ALSO, has anyone ever actually figured out what Derpy’s cutie mark means?? I mean… it’s a bunch of bubbles. I’m just curious what the fandom at large has to say about that. :p

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:02AM EDT

aerolyt wrote:

That made my day.

ALSO, has anyone ever actually figured out what Derpy’s cutie mark means?? I mean… it’s a bunch of bubbles. I’m just curious what the fandom at large has to say about that. :p

Apparently it has to do with bubble wrap.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:04AM EDT

aerolyt wrote:

That made my day.

It was never explained since the cutie marks are assigned at random.

My theory is that she’s an airhead. That’s her special talent :D

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:51AM EDT

Who knows maybe she drowned some one and got a way for insanity…or she likes blowing bubbles. Makes you think how ponies really get there cutie marks for nothing is what it seems.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:17PM EDT

Word of Thiessen says Octavia plays the cello.

Without taking the easy way to explain it, I’d say I envision the double bass played more in jazz ensembles and cellos more in orchestras, although either instrument could be played in either performing group. Given that she was playing with a bow at a classy event like the Gala, she was probably playing a cello at the time. And I usually see the double bass plucked (although it can be played with a bow, according to Wikipedia.)

The closest thing I have to canon information on her musical tastes (i.e., Vinyl Scratch Tapes) says that she’s an expert on classical and jazz. My guess is that she’s probably proficient in both the cello and double bass.

Assuming that there are no humans in Equestria (Jayson Thiessen also said there would never be on his watch,) I doubt ponies would make an instrument larger than what they’d be able to play. So maybe a double bass isn’t out of the question.

Then again, we can always take burning_phoneix’s approach just explain it off as “MAGICAL PONIES.” But where’s the fun in that? ; )

Muumi wrote:

1. I think cellos are awesome without having them in an orchestral rock band. Also, awesome is largely a matter of opinion.
  2. Again, going by The Vinyl Scratch Tapes (and the tumblr based off of that fanfiction,) she probably tolerates rock, at best. It’d be a longcat kind of stretch to say a rock band that merely has a cello is her favorite band.

Too bad we probably won't see her in the show again...

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 02:12PM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 02:08PM EDT

@ Verbose

Well, as long as Thiessen says it’s a cello, then it is a cello alright. But I’ve gotta admit that the video burning_phoneix posted, had some good points too. I guess the debate will go on on.

And Apocalyptica being Octavia’s favourite band is just a little joke I’ve been dropping around. I’m aware that she’s tied to classical and jazz, and not to metal like Apocalyptica.

The fact that Apocalyptica plays with four cello’s and drums is just too good to pass by.

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 02:46PM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 02:39PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!