Forums / Discussion / General

170,915 total conversations in 5,485 threads

+ New Thread


A thought or two about EDiot and /b/tard trolls

Last posted Mar 04, 2011 at 08:26AM EST. Added Mar 01, 2011 at 01:39PM EST
30 posts from 20 users

I was going to post this in the recently closed thread but was not in before the lock. I think there are a few thoughts that are still worth discussing as they seem to apply to most trolls of that sort. If the mods feel I’m restarting a closed discussion and want to lock this, then go ahead, and I apologize in advance.

Some things about that specific troll that seem often to be true about other, similar trolls:

A. He seems to think that all memes come from 4chan/ED.
Of course not only is this is clearly not true, but even those memes that originated with those sites are readily available for consumption all around the Internet. While I was aware of the existence of 4chan, I never visited there before I became a member of KYM, and there is not a single meme that I personally learned of on 4chan first. It’s the nature of memes that they spread; we here at KYM neither spread them nor create them, we only document.

B. He repeatedly calls us unoriginal.
See last sentence of the above statement. No, we don’t create memes; (at least not on KYM) because that’s not what KYM’s purpose is. Complaining that KYM doesn’t create original content is like complaining that 4chan doesn’t have enough Photoshop tutorials.

C. He makes the entirely valid claim that there is value in lurking before interacting with an online community.
The ironic thing about this is that he clearly has not done so in the case of KYM. He doesn’t understand KYM’s purpose, he doesn’t understand KYM’s community standards, and he doesn’t understand the whole “KYM is owned by Sony” bullshit, which has been repeatedly explained by the mods. For those who missed it, Rocketboom does not belong to Sony, but at one time briefly did business with them. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but KYM makes money through banner ads and occasional t-shirt sales, which (surprise!) is exactly how 4chan and ED make their money. Pot, kettle, black, etc.

D. He is stirring up arguments, but clearly has no interest in dialogue.
I could be wrong, but I see no evidence to the contrary. That’s why my initial response to that thread was essentially, “Oh, boo-hoo, you are right, sir. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. Now please leave me alone while I consider the gravity of my heinous crimes against the great and honorable 4chan community.”

As someone else in that thread hinted at, I don’t think that the majority of /b/tards and EDiots give half a shit about us. If they really did, I imagine Anonymous would have attacked us and taken us down a long time ago. Who knows, maybe some day they will? Until then, we just get the occasional little butthurt idiot like this who thinks he’s a fucking hero for trolling us. I suggest you either ignore him or troll him back, but I don’t see arguing with him getting anywhere.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? tl;dr?

Mar 01, 2011 at 01:39PM EST
Quote

Heavy Lobster Guy wrote:

Agreed entirely.

THANKSD GAI

Mar 01, 2011 at 01:54PM EST

I think we all know this, not to be rude. (exceptions of newfags.)
oh, and dontgaf, welcome to the community.

Mar 01, 2011 at 02:16PM EST
Quote

I’m sad because, now that the troll is banned, I can’t see what were his arguments in the other thread, but I guess it wasn’t much different from the usual unfounded claims.

Last edited Mar 01, 2011 at 02:40PM EST
Mar 01, 2011 at 02:39PM EST
Quote

And than KYM fed the trolls, and they exploded, the end inb4 the lock.

Last edited Mar 01, 2011 at 02:59PM EST
Mar 01, 2011 at 02:58PM EST


I still don’t see how bitching and posting gore porn is supposed to destroy KYM. Those two were idiots. XD

Mar 01, 2011 at 03:23PM EST
Quote

Thank you for making this post, I think we should link other troll to it in future.

+1 sticky.

Mar 01, 2011 at 04:00PM EST
Quote

Sigh.
Why do you people always argue with trolls? Don’t you understand their purpose?
You’re wasting your breath, and server space. The only reason they keep coming back is because of things like this.
Whatever.

Mar 01, 2011 at 04:13PM EST
Quote

Taryn wrote:

Sigh.
Why do you people always argue with trolls? Don’t you understand their purpose?
You’re wasting your breath, and server space. The only reason they keep coming back is because of things like this.
Whatever.

This.

Mar 01, 2011 at 04:31PM EST
Quote

Reading the ED article, there are a few reasons why they don’t like us.

1. We are a rival site. Pretty self-explanatory.
2. They complain that we make money off of memes, which are essentially public property.
3. They think we are arrogant and elitest.
4. They say we basically copy other websites.
5. It isn’t stated explicitly, but I think they think our meme videos are unfunny.
6. It’s ED. All websites have to portrayed in a negative light.

Last edited Mar 01, 2011 at 04:51PM EST
Mar 01, 2011 at 04:50PM EST
Quote

Philip J. Fry wrote:

Reading the ED article, there are a few reasons why they don’t like us.

1. We are a rival site. Pretty self-explanatory.
2. They complain that we make money off of memes, which are essentially public property.
3. They think we are arrogant and elitest.
4. They say we basically copy other websites.
5. It isn’t stated explicitly, but I think they think our meme videos are unfunny.
6. It’s ED. All websites have to portrayed in a negative light.

Yea unfortunately ignorance begets hate and stupidity. Not much we can do about it though. We can try and teach them but thats probably a lost cause at this point.

Mar 01, 2011 at 04:59PM EST
Quote

ED documents internet stuffs too, only they try to be funny… Which doesn’t really work out most of the time…
Example-
ED- Penis!!!!!1!1!!!
Internets- HahahaLOLhahaROFLhahahLMAOhahaha….

Mar 01, 2011 at 05:02PM EST

Hey, they can be funny sometimes. There’s no reason to act like that, that’s just childish.

Also, that sounds like more of an Uncyclopedia-ish sort of thing.

Mar 01, 2011 at 05:21PM EST
Quote

See now, personally, I love ED, and actually think (content-wise) they’re superior to us. I hang around KYM because I like the community, and I’m interested in Internet memes for more than just teh lulz.

Mar 01, 2011 at 05:40PM EST
Quote

Philip J. Fry wrote:

Hey, they can be funny sometimes. There’s no reason to act like that, that’s just childish.

Also, that sounds like more of an Uncyclopedia-ish sort of thing.

(I is common editor of Uncyclopedia) Even though we are simmilar in nature, ED is the Troll Encyclopedia of knowlege, which they are actually quite good at, while Uncyclopedia is more devoted to trying to be funny and not just stupid.
Because of these two factors we have grown into compleatly diffrent things.

Last edited Mar 01, 2011 at 05:57PM EST
Mar 01, 2011 at 05:53PM EST
Quote

Too long; did read anyway, but yeah, I perfectly agree with everything there.

Mar 01, 2011 at 06:24PM EST
Quote

You guys suck.

First of all, as people have mentioned before, if someone starts a thread like this, ignore it.

Secondly, they had some legitimate points (well, they did, until they were banned for porn and what not, so I can’t read what they said anymore). And while you can argue against how much their points actually matter, they are legitimate points nonetheless. Its like any controversial topic- you may believe your side ultimately has the better argument, but you cannot deny that the other side has a legitimate argument as well.

Okay. Just to clarify. I’m on your side, but arguing about “super secret clubs,” “butthurt,” “memes belonging to everyone,” and “KYM’s jew gold” get us absolutely nowhere.

So lets get away from the people who talk about KYM’s profit and newfags and whatnot, because those are peripheral issues- and get to the core question:

Why do people hate KYM?
Well, let’s outline some basic reasons.

KYM as a documentation website:

1) KYM produces unoriginality.

This is true. People go on KYM, say, “hey! let me go use that meme!” And then proceed to spam “u mad” on 4chan. In short, if a meme is big, its probably unoriginal by the time you use it. And that’s what people do.

2) KYM revives old memes and artificially grows new ones.

This is true. Partially for the aforementioned reasons, and for the fact that when KYM publicizes a small meme, people try to propogate it, and make it a big meme. I could rant about how that happened in Interior Semiotics and such, but I won’t.

These points hold true for both ED and KYM.

KYM’s place in the internet.

1) KYM memes are unfunny.

Subjective, but its still a good point. Let’s say 80% of people like a meme. If people continue to use it, even force it, its fine. Let’s say only 30% of people like a meme. If people continue to use it or force it, it is more likely to be crushed. With KYM documentation of a meme, that crushing is less likely to occur.

2) KYM invades on a secret club.

This is bull. It has not been secret for years. BUT

3) KYM breeds newfags.

And this is where 2) seems logical. Places like 4chan are anonymous. With resources like KYM and ED, new users can do some research and act like they’re an old user. They become impossible to distinguish. New users don’t get chased out (or at least, some don’t). So then, the amount of new users go up, and more users often means more annoying.

In short, its like this. You are part of clique of friends. Suddenly, 18 people join your clique and they know all the inside jokes. You can’t chase them out.

That’s annoying.

KYM and its purpose.

1) KYM documents internet phenomena.

They would argue that its not worth it for the aforementioned reasons. This is the part where I most disagree with them (esp. foreign memes).

2) KYM educates people who don’t understand the internet.

It doesn’t. Or at least, not completely. KYM shows only internet phenomena (which are usually funny), and gives new users the belief that 4chan is a place for lolcatz.

3) KYM sends the implicit message that internet phenomena should be a focus of the internet.

Some news media and such have headlines like “Latest Internet Meme: _______.” Do internet users have to really focus so much on memes? The word meme is overused, and has lost its special meaning. Sometimes, internet users just want to talk. You know, normally. Without having someone to spout memes every 5 minutes.

In conclusion.

I’m sounding like a dick here, but I’m just trying to point out that there are ups and downs to KYM. KYM is a great resource, but it can be an understandable annoyance to many people.

Responding to their arguments with “we don’t have jew gold,” “elitist communities,” “Cool Story Bro,” “memes belong to everyone,” or whatever other stuff you guys said in that thread only strengthens their arguments, and frankly, looks stupid.

Instead of “lol 4chan oldfags r mad,” realize that there are people who are seeing the communities that they have enjoyed for years- become a lot less enjoyable, and at least has something to do with KYM.

Yes, its all subjective. But at least try to look at it from their perspective and play devil’s advocate. I’m not against KYM (obviously), but you are ignoring their core arguments and dismissing them.

I’m not saying that every time someone posts a thread like that, you should argue with them, but screaming butthurt not only gets nowhere, it sounds stupid.

tl;dr: Fuck it. Neg karma me, whatever. I don’t even care.

Last edited Mar 01, 2011 at 06:50PM EST
Mar 01, 2011 at 06:31PM EST
Quote

Basically, you can point out all the reasons the KYM haters are wrong, but in the end, the haters will still be hatin.

Last edited Mar 01, 2011 at 07:04PM EST
Mar 01, 2011 at 07:03PM EST
Quote

@Ogreenworld
No neg karma. You said what you felt and have some valid points. It’s just stupid to go to other sites and start spouting stuff like, we are better than you because…blah blah blah. That is just ignorance and you are right throwing more ignorance back at them just makes them mad and validates their beliefs. But it’s fun to talk a lil trash sometimes especially when an idiot deserves it. That’s whats great and also bad about the internet. We can say what we want with little or no real repercussions. I mean thats what some people get off on doing.
1. Go to other sites piss everyone off
2. Get banned
3. ???
4. Profit
5. [photo:69709]

Mar 01, 2011 at 07:09PM EST
Quote

OGW, as much as I agree completely with your list, stating the obvious again and again (aside from maybe some users I think we know at least partially what are the downsides to KYM and I would gladly rant about Interior Semiotics as well) will never help it.

I think that’s why some of us prefer going all “Cool Story Bro” and such.

Because, let’s face it, we needed some times to understand the core of their complaints, mainly because their first claims were about baseless slanders and whatnot that have nothing to do with the real problems.

Now, do we have to go on a brainstorm every time a troll thread like this appears?
Would KYM be better if there was a big “This site is for documenting memes only. DO NOT use them! DO NOT EVEN think about forcing them or even touch them or we’ll DDoS your ass/find you IRL and rape your dog/cat/[insert pet name here] because we are under Anons’ control for restriction of Cancer and Newfags!” message on the front page?
Seriously?

Ho, by the way, that Matrix macro is great. saves

EDIT: moreover (TL;DR approaching):

As far as I understand that subjective sentiment that some of them (YES, SOME of them because not all anons are sharing it and I don’t think those latters are all “newfags”) have, it’s not entirely comprehensible.

Even if more newfags are “in” because of KYM’s doing, there is still natural selection going on. Spouting memes won’t ever help you being part of 4chan’s /b/ or any chan for that matter if you can’t act naturally and follow any discussion, the same way knowing all of a group’s jokes won’t help you being fully part of it if you can’t understand their spirit and act with it.

In short, knowing about memes will simply help you interact with other meme-spouting newfags and you will always have to do more, much more to interact with “oldfags”, by creating content and so forth. Thus, newfags won’t ever be “harder” to spot and to ignore.

But anyway, and again, why preventing new people from discovering the chans? Because it annoys you? Why YOU would be better than anyone else on that chan then? Because you discovered it first? Why is this even bothering you? Is it that hard to ignore them, deal with them or even, if you have so much angst in you, to simply help getting rid of them?

It’s all subjective, and subjectivity sucks balls.

Last edited Mar 02, 2011 at 07:07AM EST
Mar 02, 2011 at 06:33AM EST
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

OR
MAYBE YOU GUYS COULD REALIZE HE’S TROLLING
AND STOP BEING SO BUTTHURT OVER IT

Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls…

Mar 02, 2011 at 10:28AM EST
Quote

IDEA!
Next time a thread like that one comes along.
You say. “Cool Story Bro” and forget it exists. :D

Mar 02, 2011 at 02:03PM EST
Quote

Ah, this is why I’m glad I have a long fuse and a short attention spand. We all love our sites in a different way somehow, and like sweatie killer said, we all get defensive about it if one insult is thrown. I could go onto 4-chan, say something bad about the site like “4-chan sucks” or some other rumors that probably aren’t true, and most likely, no one is going to give a shit. If someone makes a arguable point, big deal, its a flaw, let it pass. If someone makes a stupid point, leave it, let them figure it out or have a false sense of pride that they don’t deserve.

Mar 02, 2011 at 03:32PM EST
Quote

Heavy Lobster Guy wrote:

IDEA!
Next time a thread like that one comes along.
You say. “Cool Story Bro” and forget it exists. :D

Better yet, just use the “It’s THIS thread again.”

Mar 02, 2011 at 07:04PM EST
Quote

PwNeDoScAr wrote:

Better yet, just use the “It’s THIS thread again.”

Even better, post MLP: Friendship is Magic pictures.

[photo:102754]

Last edited Mar 03, 2011 at 05:32PM EST
Mar 03, 2011 at 05:31PM EST
Quote

Ryan Lee wrote:

Even better, post MLP: Friendship is Magic pictures.

[photo:102754]

Mar 04, 2011 at 08:26AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!