Forums / Discussion / General

232,886 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

What is this guy talking about?

Last posted Mar 24, 2011 at 01:39PM EDT. Added Mar 23, 2011 at 10:20PM EDT
7 posts from 6 users

A thread about a thread that I don't feel like digging through?

And just added 15 minutes ago.

Last edited Mar 23, 2011 at 10:31PM EDT

That was sort of an off-the-wall link to a link, but I'll butt in here and tell you what it's about, because I happen to know a bit about Hebrew and religious/linguistic symbolism contained therein.

There is a theory that is popular among some scholars of the Hebrew language and its roots in ancient Judaic mysticism that states that while most of the language writing systems of the world are phonetic (like English) or pictographic (like Chinese), Hebrew is a special case of a language that is both simultaneously.

Each letter of the Hebrew alphabet has not only a sound that corresponds to it, but a picture/concept. First letter of the alphabet is Aleph(א) which is a picture of the head of an ox, symbolizing strength. Second letter of the alphabet is Bet(ב) which is a picture of a house, symbolizing family. So on and so on for the whole alphabet.

Now while up to that point, this is pretty well-established academically, we then make a leap to breaking down deeper meanings of Hebrew words by breaking them down letter by letter which is probably fairly controversial. The Hebrew word Ab(אב) means "father" which is interpreted in this theory to be "father = strength of the family". People into this theory have broken down hundreds of Hebrew words in this manner looking for deeper meaning.

tl;dr? Sorry, this is probably the shortest explanation you're likely to get of this concept.

If you really want to read some wild stuff, you can look up analyses of Hebrew spiritual concepts embedded in ancient Chinese pictographs.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!