Forums / Discussion / General

232,774 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

Know Your Meme <3s Cheezburgers

Last posted Mar 31, 2011 at 04:07PM EDT. Added Mar 28, 2011 at 04:37PM EDT
78 posts from 35 users

GUIZE.

In case you haven't noticed, the Institute of Internet Studies has changed locations and is now part of the Cheezburger family. We're all really excited to join up with the publisher responsible for I can Haz Cheezburger? and FAILblog! This means more internets experts, moar sauce, and more awesomeness to come.

Brad, Don, James and I are all on board for KYM's next era of win. All of us here at the Institute are working hard as always to keep what's great about the site we love.

For more information, please read Brad's blog post about the subject, or feel free to ask us any questions here :)

Brucker wrote:

Wait, what does this mean for my separate cheezburger and KYM acounts?

Nothing. They're two separate systems and they will stay that way for a while. First thing's first, which is to beef up KYM's current infrastructure to handle moar traffic.

I FOR ONE ACCEPT OUR NEW CHEEZBURGERS :D (nom nom nom).

Altho this is big news, I have confidence in Ben and the rest of Cheezburger to remain true to the values Jamie, Kenyatta, Ellie, and us others have pushed for the site. Brad, Don, James, and Olivia are continuing to be awesome as well :)

Greg Leuch wrote:

Altho this is big news, I have confidence in Ben and the rest of Cheezburger to remain true to the values Jamie, Kenyatta, Ellie, and us others have pushed for the site. Brad, Don, James, and Olivia are continuing to be awesome as well :)

Thanx bro! None of us would never have gotten as far without the help & work of the beloved alumni. Big ups y mucho mucho mucho amor to Yatta, Jamie, Ellie, Greg, Chris, Patrick and Mike for creating what we love so much! :* :*

Last edited Mar 28, 2011 at 05:13PM EDT

Greg Leuch wrote:

I'll admit, I was very nervous about the idea of selling at first. But after I heard that Brad, Don, Olivia, and James would continue on with the site, all my worries were put to rest. I think that KYM being part of the Cheezburger network will be great for all.

Chris Menning wrote:

I'll admit, I was very nervous about the idea of selling at first. But after I heard that Brad, Don, Olivia, and James would continue on with the site, all my worries were put to rest. I think that KYM being part of the Cheezburger network will be great for all.

Thx Chris. The thing I want KYM community to know is that we bought KYM and kept the team because we love what KYM is today and we want it to flourish.

The less change that will be brought on because of this acquisition, the better. I must say that I am very hesitant about this, but hopefully you guys will prove me wrong.

Also, a minor suggestion: now with the Cheezburger banner at the top, can we move down the top banner ad? The top of the page seems cluttered.

Ehh, I kinda don't like this. There will be too many newfags here that don't know squat about memes and shit, and 2x more trolls. And I really rather not have any changes to the website, I like how it is now.

All things considered this is the best possible situation. I'm really excited to see how things improve and expand and trust everyone will keep KYM on the straight-n-narrow.

LOOKIN @ U, DON. :D

Sav wrote:

it would be a good idea to use Memebase's meme generator within KYM

The KYM team is flying to Seattle to meet the rest of the company next week. We'll absolutely discuss this at that time -- among many other ideas. We'll also send them home well-fed, filled with fish.

Sav wrote:

it would be a good idea to use Memebase's meme generator within KYM

That is a terrible idea. The point of the photos section on meme entries is to display examples of it "in the wild". A meme generator would destroy that point entirely.

Horseeater wrote:

That is a terrible idea. The point of the photos section on meme entries is to display examples of it "in the wild". A meme generator would destroy that point entirely.

I would agree with this. A meme generator within kym could pose some issues with meme forcing and entry spam on the site.

Ben Huh wrote:

Thx Chris. The thing I want KYM community to know is that we bought KYM and kept the team because we love what KYM is today and we want it to flourish.

Awesome. :)

Ben Huh wrote:

The KYM team is flying to Seattle to meet the rest of the company next week. We'll absolutely discuss this at that time -- among many other ideas. We'll also send them home well-fed, filled with fish.

I hate fish.

Chris Menning wrote:

I'm very skeptical about this. I think it would have been better if Rocketboom was still in control. If nothing radical happens to KYM, I'm fine.

Mike wrote:

All things considered this is the best possible situation. I'm really excited to see how things improve and expand and trust everyone will keep KYM on the straight-n-narrow.

LOOKIN @ U, DON. :D

All of us are dedicated to keeping the site's integrity intact, and nothing but good things are going to come of the additional resources coming from joining with Cheezburger :)

THANK YOU MIKE ;P

When you have that big meeting next week PLEASE discuss implementing some system to better control new meme entries.

Right now we get a lot of brand new people signing up and immediately creating entries that are just horrible. Not only are they not documenting memes (nor do many of them understand what a meme is), they also do such an incredibly poor job at the writeup that it is embarrassing. Currently the mods aren't able to keep up with this, and once we get fully integrated into Cheezburger we are going to get swamped with bad entries at a level never before seen. Nip this in the bud and you'll have a lot less headaches.

Magnan wrote:

When you have that big meeting next week PLEASE discuss implementing some system to better control new meme entries.

Right now we get a lot of brand new people signing up and immediately creating entries that are just horrible. Not only are they not documenting memes (nor do many of them understand what a meme is), they also do such an incredibly poor job at the writeup that it is embarrassing. Currently the mods aren't able to keep up with this, and once we get fully integrated into Cheezburger we are going to get swamped with bad entries at a level never before seen. Nip this in the bud and you'll have a lot less headaches.

I've been trying for 2 years to get that problem taken care of. There was a lot of rage happening at that time, and well, I'd expect the rage to start again. I'm hoping that with the new owners, cleanup will happen.

Magnan wrote:

I'll add this to the discussion. Cheezburger handles 12,000 or more submissions each day, so we do have some experience that we can draw from.

Hercules the Son of Zeus wrote:

Yay congratulations and all, but one question remains though.
The KYM entry for the Cheezburger Network is still Deadpool.
Well, I guess it's an eye for an eye, what goes around comes around etc.

I don't see your point.

I guess it's kind of ironic for us to have Deadpool'd a site we are now under but the Cheezburger Network is in no way itself a meme/meme hub/original source of meme content. The Cheezburger Network, like KYM, is a database of images that may or may not be related to specific memes.

We don't document sites that document. That'd just be plain redundant. And with that, I say the article stays in the Deadpool section for this reason.

Jostin Asuncion wrote:

I don't see your point.

I guess it's kind of ironic for us to have Deadpool'd a site we are now under but the Cheezburger Network is in no way itself a meme/meme hub/original source of meme content. The Cheezburger Network, like KYM, is a database of images that may or may not be related to specific memes.

We don't document sites that document. That'd just be plain redundant. And with that, I say the article stays in the Deadpool section for this reason.

Of course it's a meme hub. KYM is theirs now. And don't start on LOLCats.

@Jostin,

I agree with you that Cheezburger Network is a documenting entity and that there's chance of redundancy, but I think we started covering notable hubs & communities in submssion pool for sometime now. So I've removed it from deadpool (an the ironic factor was killer too) but precisely because of our relationship now, I think this entry should be / will be subject to 500% extra scrutiny.

Brad wrote:

@Jostin,

I agree with you that Cheezburger Network is a documenting entity and that there's chance of redundancy, but I think we started covering notable hubs & communities in submssion pool for sometime now. So I've removed it from deadpool (an the ironic factor was killer too) but precisely because of our relationship now, I think this entry should be / will be subject to 500% extra scrutiny.

We can has celebrations?

Katie C. wrote:

I've been trying for 2 years to get that problem taken care of. There was a lot of rage happening at that time, and well, I'd expect the rage to start again. I'm hoping that with the new owners, cleanup will happen.

SOMEONE MAKE EVERYONE HERE A MOD. Yeah no, KYM would be in fucking trouble if someone did that.

DO. NOT. WANT.
The KYM RPG is the property of Rocketboom Interactive, (aka The KYM RPG team) dammit!
I AM NOT GONNA LET THEM TAKE AWAY OUR PRRROOOOOOOJJJJJJEEEEECCCCCCCTTTTTTTT!!!!
Yes, the Cheezburger Network has it's merits, but if this is gonna affect the game's development (Whoops, i lost the game), well I ain't happy!
Dekarma me if you wish, but this is insanity!

Just remembered that a ton of cheezburger websites are blocked at my stupid college campus. Hope KYM isn't gonna be blocked because of its association… I do most of my article writing/editing while on campus.

angrypwnzer wrote:

DO. NOT. WANT.
The KYM RPG is the property of Rocketboom Interactive, (aka The KYM RPG team) dammit!
Yes, the Cheezburger Network has it's merits, but if this is gonna affect the game's development (Whoops, i lost the game), well I ain't happy!

1. You have basically no controll over the KYM RPG, you're just an idea giver as of the current.
2. The KYM RPG wouldn't be released in any case.

Stoffe wrote:

1. You have basically no controll over the KYM RPG, you're just an idea giver as of the current.
2. The KYM RPG wouldn't be released in any case.

SILENCE! you are just jelly 'cuz natsuru kicked you off the writer team.

angrypwnzer wrote:

DO. NOT. WANT.

I don't think any of us, either from Rocketboom or Cheezburger are planning any sort of involvement/takeover/changes with community-created content like the RPG.

Game on, my friends.

Last edited Mar 29, 2011 at 10:38AM EDT

Brad wrote:

@Jostin,

I'm still not convinced it's a meme hub.

If it hasn't changed since the get-go, our basic definition of a meme hub is a website where a good number of memes are created. From what I've observed so far, Cheezburger doesn't create memes, it documents pre-exisiting ones, two very different things. Any memes that have appeared on the site were already pretty popular elsewhere. I'm just saying that if we go down this path, it seems like documenting the likes of Encyclopedia Dramatica, BuzzFeed, Uncyclopedia, and many other sites where memes constantly appear in will start sounding like a conventional idea.

But, that's just my humble opinion on the matter. The final decision still rests on the Entry Moderator's/Staff Member's shoulders.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!