Forums / General

195,567 total conversations in 5,382 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
We need to talk.

Last posted May 27, 2011 at 07:40PM EDT. Added Apr 27, 2011 at 08:30PM EDT
34 conversations with 16 participants

Me and your mother have been talking about this over the last few nights. With the recent purchase by Cheezburger Inc and the increasing popularity of this site, there are going to be new users on the forums, who bring along their own styles and… quirks.

Now, your mother worries that with all these new users and no community rules, only the annoying users can thrive on the forums and the regular users will be exiled to calmer, less populated places like IRC. Then, even newer users, wanting to be like the older users will try to be MORE annoying and exile the annoying users to the IRC and the regular users will find somewhere new to go even FARTHER away from KYM. This process continues until the admins have to close down the forums because they just suck too much. She calls this “Faggishitification” of a forum.

There is another term for when there is a influx of new users who don’t conform to the “netiquette”. September.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

And Usenet had some sort of community conduct standards, I’m not sure if we do. I don’t think so, though.

If you recall, Chris Menning made a short list of rules for the forums. But if you look at it now, you can see it hasn’t been followed as well as it probably should be.

Forum Rules
Be nice your knowledge of Internets is valued, but it doesn’t make others subservient to you. Everyone’s a noob at some point / assume good faith. Admins can temporarily or permanantly ban offenders.
Stay on topic don’t hijack the topic of a thread -- start a new one instead. Threads posted to the wrong boards might be moved or locked by moderators.
Search before posting AKA Lurk Moar AKA Let Me Google That For You.
Don’t try to force your memes: this site is about documenting memes, not creating them. Focus on making something interesting, not just shouting loudly
Games go in Just For Fun and the staff reserves the right to zaniness
Keep it clean. No sexual imagery, no fetishes. The occasional f-bomb can be overlooked.

Don’t hijack threads, no fetishes, be nice are 3 rules regularly broken that I can think of.

I think we could use some community guidelines for forum newbies and forum regulars alike. Personally I think “Don’t be such a god-damned fruit all the god-damned time” should be enough, but that’s “politically incorrect”.

So I thought that since it is community guidelines that the best people to talk to about making them is the community. So what ideas do you have for community guidelines? No threadjacking? No cussin’? No auto-plays? Keep references to television shows intended for little girls to a minimum? No fun? If you have any ideas this would probably be a good thread to post them in.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, your mother and I are working on making you a little brother. Good night.

Last edited Apr 27, 2011 at 08:31PM EDT
Apr 27, 2011 at 08:30PM EDT
Quote

Never any autoplay ever again, unless it’s on a profile page. Cussing should be fucking allowed. And I don’t really mind threadjacking a whole lot…

But I do believe that we should chastise those newfags who have no clue what they are doing. Just let them know what’s up, and all. Maybe show ’em a little tough love too, if needed so.

But excellent post Blubst. Your last 2 sentences are gold, too.

Apr 27, 2011 at 08:38PM EDT
Quote

One thing I think would be a good idea would be a rule against making several, several threads in a short time.
If you have a thread made about a question, continue to ask them in the original thread you made.

Apr 27, 2011 at 08:51PM EDT
Quote

There should be a harder dire threat of user restriction/ban on users to make them understand that simple premise.
Too many users are set free in the wild, doing everything (but sadly most of the time for the worst) without any fear of being banned/muted/restricted/punished (see the troll alt accounts).
It’s really sad to come to the conclusion that the best way to make them stop is harassment/fear upon them.

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:05PM EDT
Quote

I’ll more than happily follow the new rules that will be put out. But no cursing would be hard to do and sometimes is REALLY hard to be nice ALL the time. Loses the fun factor. ><

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:13PM EDT
Quote

Not in any order, just naming them off the back of my mind.

Do not post stuff that breaks the laws of America, or the country you are currently inhabiting.

Do not post autoplayers on peoples walls, theres no way of hiding, or deleting those post.

Don’t a be a dbag.

Don’t post links to 4chan boards, no one wants to see a 404’ed thread.

Don’t make a thread if there is a topic related to it, or closely related to it.

Meh trolling is ok, its pretty fun, keep it in JFF, or walls, so long as its nothing drastic.

JFF topics don’t belong in Gen, this includes forum games.

If an admin tells you to do something, do it, if you have a complaint, tell someone higher up on the ranking, like Jesus/Xenu/Stalin/the Tooth fairy, but not Hitler, we get enough of that guy. (actually I don’t really know for sure, assuming Mellow.)

Keep the Nazis on the downlow,

Don’t complain about a user if hes annoying if hes obeying the rules.

Argue on Everyone’s wall, you make conservative friends that way, and before you know it you have an army of fat people.

Don’t derail topics, you should get warning, and than WHAM, banned from Google, the internet, and put on a felons list of somesorts forever.

No gay pron.

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:24PM EDT

Dane wrote:

Never any autoplay ever again, unless it’s on a profile page. Cussing should be fucking allowed. And I don’t really mind threadjacking a whole lot…

But I do believe that we should chastise those newfags who have no clue what they are doing. Just let them know what’s up, and all. Maybe show ’em a little tough love too, if needed so.

But excellent post Blubst. Your last 2 sentences are gold, too.

So when you yell at me, it’s tough love?

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:35PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

So when you yell at me, it’s tough love?

Exactly. I love you, but no homo. Just trying to get the new users get the hang of things.

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:45PM EDT
Quote

Btw what happened to that Cancer Thread?

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:45PM EDT

PwNeDoScAr wrote:

One thing I think would be a good idea would be a rule against making several, several threads in a short time.
If you have a thread made about a question, continue to ask them in the original thread you made.

Agreed.

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:46PM EDT
Quote

Dane wrote:

Exactly. I love you, but no homo. Just trying to get the new users get the hang of things.

I’ll try my best not to be New-guyish.

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:48PM EDT
Quote

Don’t think that because you have been here longer than others that you can tell people what to do. Do not tell people they are going to get Banned. It’s not your job to do so.
Do not tell the mods to lock a thread unless it’s your thread. Again not your job. INB4 Lock is fine.
Do not tell people what they can and cannot post. Again not your job and the Mods can delete it if the see fit. You can ask someone to delete a post but it’s up to them or the Mods to delete it.
Anyone can direct someone to the rules/guidelines.
You do not have any special power here so don’t think that you do. Everyone of us can be banned if the Mods feel like it. So don’t think that you are special.
Also What Is Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander.
You can ask someone to delete a post that you think is wrong but if you post something similar then you can’t complain.
If you think anything to be Morally wrong here than you shouldn’t be here. Keep your morals to yourself. There are people here from all over the world and may have different views than you.
Some people really may have trouble with the english language that does’t make them a Troll. You can usually spot the trolls but don’t automatically label someone a Troll. They may just be a Newfag that doesn’t know any better. At one time we were all Newfags so don’t be too hard on them. Play with them but don’t go for the kill right away.
TL;DR

Apr 27, 2011 at 09:54PM EDT
Quote

Oh and as far as derailing a thread look at how many mods helped in derailing the internet can now find stars so that rule can pretty much get thrown out the window. Part of my rules What Is Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:04PM EDT
Quote

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Not in any order, just naming them off the back of my mind.

Do not post stuff that breaks the laws of America, or the country you are currently inhabiting.

Do not post autoplayers on peoples walls, theres no way of hiding, or deleting those post.

Don’t a be a dbag.

Don’t post links to 4chan boards, no one wants to see a 404’ed thread.

Don’t make a thread if there is a topic related to it, or closely related to it.

Meh trolling is ok, its pretty fun, keep it in JFF, or walls, so long as its nothing drastic.

JFF topics don’t belong in Gen, this includes forum games.

If an admin tells you to do something, do it, if you have a complaint, tell someone higher up on the ranking, like Jesus/Xenu/Stalin/the Tooth fairy, but not Hitler, we get enough of that guy. (actually I don’t really know for sure, assuming Mellow.)

Keep the Nazis on the downlow,

Don’t complain about a user if hes annoying if hes obeying the rules.

Argue on Everyone’s wall, you make conservative friends that way, and before you know it you have an army of fat people.

Don’t derail topics, you should get warning, and than WHAM, banned from Google, the internet, and put on a felons list of somesorts forever.

No gay pron.

No gay pron? Damn, there goes my new thread idea. I guess I’ll just have to dump this 20 GB folder of lesbo gifs somewhere else.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:14PM EDT
Quote

I got one.

Read up on what a meme is, BEFORE you post one.
Also study up on the meme you want to post.
Ask other peoples opinions if you think that it has a chance.
Don’t be stupid and post a meme of the same meme if it got deadpooled. If the managers think it has a chance, they will undeadpool.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:28PM EDT
Quote

Why all the activism?
Have you actually ever noticed any influx of rule breaking, or anarchy?
The answer is no, you haven’t.
It’s useless energy.
Don’t waste your breath.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:12AM EDT
Quote

That guy’s mom sounds pretty cool.

If the guidelines are TL;DR, nobody will read them.

Even the 10 Commandments were too long. Let’s shoot for 5.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:30AM EDT
Quote

Thou shalt not Spam
Do unto others as ye would be treated or feel the wrath of Desu
Troll unto others as ye will be Trolled
Thou shalt not post real porn or real gore least ye feel the anger of the Mods
Thou shalt be kind to newfags until they piss you off

Anyone who doth break the word of MOD will be smote down with lazors

Apr 28, 2011 at 01:13AM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

No gay pron? Damn, there goes my new thread idea. I guess I’ll just have to dump this 20 GB folder of lesbo gifs somewhere else.

Aren’t you married or something?

Apr 28, 2011 at 06:52AM EDT
Quote

That was a joke.

A joke I will not be sharing with my wife.

Apr 28, 2011 at 05:51PM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

That was a joke.

A joke I will not be sharing with my wife.

It was a good joke I got it.

Apr 28, 2011 at 06:01PM EDT
Quote

This is awesome. Please share more thoughts on forum guidelines and KYM mods + staff can put together the commandments in due time!

Apr 28, 2011 at 07:23PM EDT
Quote

butterin yobread wrote:

Can we disable people changing there username, I cant tell who anyone is anymore

If changing user names is disabled, only disabled people will have changed user names!

…Wait, does that make sense?

Apr 28, 2011 at 08:22PM EDT
Quote

Perhaps a limit for the number of embeded videos per post/page to reduce page load times and lag.

Apr 28, 2011 at 08:59PM EDT
Quote

This has probably already been suggested, but we should have all new users read KYM’s rules before they start posting.

Apr 28, 2011 at 09:05PM EDT
Quote

@butterin and Suiseiseki
Your questions are more Site Related in that if there was a serious problem with that the Tech guys would change it. We are talking about “community rules” on how people act.

@Sweatie Killer
Gay Porn? Why not just keep at Real Porn.

pornography |pôrˈnägrəfē|
noun
printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:15PM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

Oh and as far as derailing a thread look at how many mods helped in derailing the internet can now find stars so that rule can pretty much get thrown out the window. Part of my rules What Is Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander.

Well, that thread kinda started out derailed, in all honesty.

Apr 29, 2011 at 06:21PM EDT
Quote

PwNeDoScAr wrote:

Well, that thread kinda started out derailed, in all honesty.

Most of the longer threads will go from one topic to another.
I just think that shouldn’t be a rule.

Apr 29, 2011 at 06:55PM EDT
Quote

The quoted post has been deleted.

Yeah, thanks for that Zapp.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:19PM EDT
Quote

Daniel Vazquez. I think the “no derailing” rule applies more to the General, Meme research and Site-related sections.
JFF is more “free” per se.

Actually, may I say utopically, we don’t need any rule as long as people behave well with each other, keep drama on low level, don’t think making alt accounts to piss people off or to start flame wars is THAT fun (‘cause it’s not), usually take the time to make constructive posts without any inch of flood, that sort of thing.

But people are people in the end, aren’t they?
And the worst is, they are way more like 16 years old girls than 13 years old boys, as far as Encyclopedia Dramatica is concerned.

Last edited Apr 30, 2011 at 10:25AM EDT
Apr 30, 2011 at 10:25AM EDT
Quote

We had a good talk on how to improve forum moderation last night. We’ll be addressing these issues more aggressively (soon). For now, I updated KNOW YOUR MEME: RULES thread and they will be more visible when posting a new thread or reply.

Original rules thread here: http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/general/topics/3938-know-your-meme-rules

May 27, 2011 at 03:18PM EDT
Quote

Brad wrote:

We had a good talk on how to improve forum moderation last night. We’ll be addressing these issues more aggressively (soon). For now, I updated KNOW YOUR MEME: RULES thread and they will be more visible when posting a new thread or reply.

Original rules thread here: http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/general/topics/3938-know-your-meme-rules

May 27, 2011 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

Hi! You must login or signup first!