Forums / Discussion / General

232,738 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
On Rainbows & Unicorns

Last posted May 26, 2011 at 07:10PM EDT. Added May 09, 2011 at 03:37PM EDT
29 posts from 16 users

Hey guize,

I know this topic has been discussed here and there before, but I just want to hear everyone's thoughts on how & why My Little Pony came to be what it is today. As documented on our site, there were plenty of signs and symptoms that /b/ crowds love rainbows & unicorns prior to MLP…

So the question being: when did rainbow / unicorn craze exactly begin?

Trick Lobo wrote:

Nice. Do you know when he posted that comic? The earliest reference I've found to it is a blog post in 2005: http://www.dorkingout.com/archives/2005/08/perry_bible_fellowship.php

Last edited May 10, 2011 at 03:43PM EDT

I think it has more to do with girlishness, or being wimpy than anything. I am sure that people have parodied it long before the internet.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

I think it has more to do with girlishness, or being wimpy than anything. I am sure that people have parodied it long before the internet.

But there-in comes the twist! Because the internet's obsession with them isn't about how wimpy and gay they are, but how kickass and awesome they are!

Olivia Gulin wrote:

Nice. Do you know when he posted that comic? The earliest reference I've found to it is a blog post in 2005: http://www.dorkingout.com/archives/2005/08/perry_bible_fellowship.php

Well, I discovered Perry Bible Fellowship in 2004, and I think that comic was already posted. In fact, around that time he was starting to slow down on regular updates.

Mr Bumhole #1 Fan Of Osaka wrote:

But there-in comes the twist! Because the internet's obsession with them isn't about how wimpy and gay they are, but how kickass and awesome they are!

You mean the internet made them Kick ass, and awesome for the lulz, because it can.

Rainbow Tylenol
This Is Scout, Rainbows Make Me Cry!
Nyan Cat / Pop Tart Cat
Advice Dog (Sort of)
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/electronic-sounds (Rainbow effects are used)
Faggot Tree

TEH ABBSTER wrote:

Everyone has at least one X chromosome. Therefore, everyone has a little girl inside them just waiting to get out.

Srsly, that is the best thing I have heard on the forums since Chris Dubs.

TEH ABBSTER wrote:

Everyone has at least one X chromosome. Therefore, everyone has a little girl inside them just waiting to get out.

Mine got out a long time ago
[photo:120762]

i believe the over use of unicorns and rainbows is because of the girly and homosexual connotation with it, because of it and along with the anonimity of the internet, people can use it as a parody/ an expression of something truely kickass and awesome

looking into psychology and history, it shows times where people naturally go against the grain, the philosophical concept of self identity by looking for something different or old. i.e. look at fashion, classical styles are returning as well as cars and with this new ideas are coming to, such as the mess we've come to know as Lady GaGa, Katy Perry and Pink, all three try to look and do things differently

only natural that people would take something as girly and faggoty as unicorns and rainbows and turn it into something manly or cool

darklight436 wrote:

i believe the over use of unicorns and rainbows is because of the girly and homosexual connotation with it, because of it and along with the anonimity of the internet, people can use it as a parody/ an expression of something truely kickass and awesome

Then what you're basically saying is, everyone's purposely putting on a big act?
How does this explain the fact that us bronies legitimately like the show?

Brotip: If you capitalize your Is, then grammernazi's will avoid you :3

Last edited May 26, 2011 at 07:10PM EDT

Hello! You must login or signup first!