Forums / Discussion / General

174,026 total conversations in 5,718 threads

+ New Thread


Politicians are trying to censor the internet.

Last posted Jun 16, 2011 at 01:27AM EDT. Added May 29, 2011 at 03:41AM EDT
128 posts from 55 users

Agree with the fact that DDoS’s will do nothing, just making it worse due to moronic people…
(The kind who won’t read contracts and in the end go “It was a good business” and then “OH SHI-”.)… that will go, “They are doing bad stuffzzz!!!1ONEZ111!”.
Just like they’re doing to battlefield 3 and MW3 on england, moronic parents go “This haz to do with bomb attackz!” oh yea, i remember a tank going in the london subway system and every building in town collapsing because of F-35’s!
^although it’s a different topic, the problem is the same moronic parents/people.

Really, PROTECT IP should be stopped at any costs. Although i live in brazil, apparently this bill is going to affect any site anywhere. Apparently some game devs won’t have the freedom they had before… simply because something is SIMILAR to other.
We won’t be able to discuss politics freely anymore too.

Oh, and may i mention something about Brazilian politics?
We are “FORCED” to vote (even if we vote for no one), if we don’t we have to write a letter justifying why, and well it takes more time than voting so we vote if the problem in US is the laziness the same could be done.

Yeah, this bill will be used to take pirating sites down at first, but if some self righteous idiot in charge of deciding who gets the ax decides to take matters into his own hands, it’s going to start looking like Styx’s song Heavy Metal Poisoning.
Seriously, just listen to the song and replace references to music with the internet, and think about it.

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 05:08PM EDT

I like how this bill only was made shortly after the middle east uprising, if you don’t know, a lot of that was influenced by the internet.

captain_e wrote:

What is this, China?

I don’t think China is that bad of a country, I mean when you consider the living standards they used to have, and the living standards they have now. China has pretty good healthcare too, considering how many people they got is a huge factor too.

China is sorta gullible, they trusted America paying them back, bad mistake.

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 09:16PM EDT

This is interesting, maybe a bit of conflict in the US government over this, but how exactly is the government funding a operation in this manner.

People will abuse this.

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 11:54PM EDT

I say we do as the bronies, love and tolerate the shit out of the government.

Scratch that, the government feels only hate.

I must protest the PROTECT IP Bill, as it oversteps the judicial and constitutional power of the United States Congress. Being broad and vague in nature, that it would be inevitably contested in the supreme court under judicial review if it even passed at all. That being stated, I don’t want internet censorship of speech, as it violates the first amendment. I want net neutrality and freedom of information.

Sadly, I don’t think that firing LOIC’s and DDOS attacks will resolve this issue. Grass roots movements, even in digital form, are hardly an effective deterrent against politicians, particularly powerful senators and the intrests of industries which back them.

We have to use the proper legal channels and action to see this through. Now remember, this bill has to go through several channels before it becomes law; as it has only gone out by committee, first it must pass the floor on the senate, and go through the committees and be approved in the house with revisions; and even then, it could face a possible veto, should the president disagree with it. However, due to the laws controversial nature even if passed, it would likely be put under judicial review, and hopefully struck down by the supreme court.

Write your representatives and senators stating your feelings about this bill. Heck, write your governors and even the president about this. If we do this properly, this bill will die; please, I ask you to restrain your passions and be patient. We will win, if we possess a cool head and a willingness to see our rights protected as netizens.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

I don’t think China is that bad of a country, I mean when you consider the living standards they used to have, and the living standards they have now. China has pretty good healthcare too, considering how many people they got is a huge factor too.

China is sorta gullible, they trusted America paying them back, bad mistake.

must not know much about china.

MDFification wrote:

Yah, the US is worried that their citizens might rise up if they realize that all the ministries in the US government are controlled by corporations who use them for their own interests…

Well… Damn looks like someone has done their homework. Now only if everyone had a brain you like yours our mine then maybe something could get done on Capital Hill instead of having them troll on a 5 thousand page bill that talks about seeing if a bee farts or where the hell is Waldo… __

This cannot be passed. Anonymous won out all of the other battles! But only with our support. Let’s end this here and now. Send letters to EVERY POLITICAN WE CAN. This violates constiutional rights and is against everything Ben Franklin, Voltaire, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Ayn Rand, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Shakespeare, Socraties, Michaelangelo, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, and ANYONE ELSE WITH ANY COMMON SENCE stand for.

If politicians feel justified in censoring the internet, then there is absolutely no reason for them to continue allowing ignorant jerks like Ryan Sorba and Fred Phelps to spew their hate speech. If you enforce one person’s right to free speech, you must enforce everyone’s.

in the hoppip over the sea wrote:

Hmm, they won’t listen and think the interwebs should be censored?
I know!! Let’s spam them with nyan/rick astley/goatse/Bombard them with DDoS attacks/do a raid on the chamber of commerce!! That’ll show them that the internet is fine the way it is and shouldn’t be censored!!
THINK, guys!

Goatse? Hell, that gives them MORE of a reason to censor it.

Hacking won’t solve a thing. To do it right, just send a nice email to your senator/electoral college. No whining, serious business. I for one, think this ban is total crap. We are allowed to post what we want (there are some over the top things though). Internet = Freedom O’ Speech.

BTW, Sarah Palin will get, like, almost NO votes. Only stupid housewives will vote for her.

What a freakin’ Maverick.

I totally agree that performing your civic duty is the best way to go about protesting bills. But I do think there’s something super ironic about politicians struggling to set the rules of internet use, while there are websites getting hacked, just to serve as a reminder that internet rules can be outsmarted by smarter people.

Even putting ethics & rights aside for a second, isn’t “being unsustainable” enough of an issue with imposing technological barriers, as long as there are people who can hack through and no means to enforce adequately? I mean… in reality, it’s kinda like passing a new anti-crime legislation in Gotham City.

Brad wrote:

I totally agree that performing your civic duty is the best way to go about protesting bills. But I do think there’s something super ironic about politicians struggling to set the rules of internet use, while there are websites getting hacked, just to serve as a reminder that internet rules can be outsmarted by smarter people.

Even putting ethics & rights aside for a second, isn’t “being unsustainable” enough of an issue with imposing technological barriers, as long as there are people who can hack through and no means to enforce adequately? I mean… in reality, it’s kinda like passing a new anti-crime legislation in Gotham City.

How the government would view this.
““being unsustainable” "

you know, you really need to have more hope, and try harder.

I mean look at the middle east war, People say thats impossible, but did we ever stop trying, nope.

Last edited Jun 15, 2011 at 05:52AM EDT

Kalmo wrote:

If she wins I will have lost all faith in America.
Which is why I know who I’m voting for.

Fuck yeah…

The irony is that Anonymous is pretty much what democracy was intended to be in essence… that is, a group that represents the will of the people.

Funky wrote:

Goatse? Hell, that gives them MORE of a reason to censor it.

Hacking won’t solve a thing. To do it right, just send a nice email to your senator/electoral college. No whining, serious business. I for one, think this ban is total crap. We are allowed to post what we want (there are some over the top things though). Internet = Freedom O’ Speech.

BTW, Sarah Palin will get, like, almost NO votes. Only stupid housewives will vote for her.

What a freakin’ Maverick.

I think you may have misinterpreted his post.

On another note, I agree with everyone who has said to e-mail their senators and what not to perhaps show that if through mass e-mails detesting the bill, they will reconsider, although doubtful. I’m not from the states so I’m not entirely familiar with the system but that’d be the route I’d take.

FlintTD wrote:

This cannot be passed. Anonymous won out all of the other battles! But only with our support. Let’s end this here and now. Send letters to EVERY POLITICAN WE CAN. This violates constiutional rights and is against everything Ben Franklin, Voltaire, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Ayn Rand, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Shakespeare, Socraties, Michaelangelo, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, and ANYONE ELSE WITH ANY COMMON SENCE stand for.

Dude, seriously?

I’m pretty sure Michaelangelo, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, and Shakspeare didn’t have anything to do with the constitutional rights of America.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

How the government would view this.
““being unsustainable” "

you know, you really need to have more hope, and try harder.

I mean look at the middle east war, People say thats impossible, but did we ever stop trying, nope.

@SweatieKiller,

It may be true that “being unsustainable” never stopped governments from pursuing national interests, but I think this is a fundamentally different issue. At least in the realm of mass communications, the role of government shouldn’t be solely focused on protecting the industry, especially when it goes directly against the common intuitions and user behaviors at large. I also feel that some politicians are trying to hold dearly onto an outdated legal infrastructure, because it would be more costly to build a new one that’s more in line with the zeitgeist (at least during their lifespan). Trivia: average age of US congressman is 57 in the House & 63 in Senate.

I believe this “unsustainable issue” goes same for the corporations from the biz point of view. To quote Cory Doctorow’s 2cents on RIAA, it’s foolish to plan business strategies based on expectations of how consumers should behave, rather than how we are behaving already, and many of us quite shamelessly.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!