Forums / Discussion / General

170,401 total conversations in 5,570 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
MLP Public Service Thread

Last posted Jun 10, 2011 at 01:38AM EDT. Added Jun 07, 2011 at 03:28PM EDT
150 posts from 45 users

suggetion: expand th trending bar to around 12-16 pictures.

limit it that only rougly 4 pictures could related to MLP.
everyone wins.

really easy

Jun 08, 2011 at 04:02PM EDT
Quote

Hello everyone in this thread, just a reminder to keep trying to understand the other side and resolve differences. Derogatory remarks and unhelpful comments will be removed.

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 04:03PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 04:02PM EDT
Quote

Since MDFification asked us to do so, here I am and I proclaim, that I’m not spamming ponies.
Okay, since we have that out of the way, I just want to inform non-Bronies, that most of us are just people like you- and, in addition to that, we like MLP. Most of us are good people who will obey the rules, but in EVERY group in the internet there are some people who won’t, and I hope, that you won’t judge us all basing only on actions of those of us who can’t behave. I’m trying everything I can to get these individuals stick to the rules, and I’m trying to help with the whole TPs situation.
So yeah, most of us are good people who respect and tolerate others, but usually the ones who don’t are being noticed the most. That’s something in human brain- we only notice things that aren’t like everything else. And we keep labeling the social groups based on actions of a single unit.
So, let’s be nice to each other. That could work for a while.

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 04:17PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 04:15PM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

suggetion: expand th trending bar to around 12-16 pictures.

limit it that only rougly 4 pictures could related to MLP.
everyone wins.

really easy

I agree. 9 pictures is not enough to display when hundreds are submitted daily.
FYI, it has in fact been limited, but people got around it by bumping pony pix on other articles that were unrelated. People will always figure out a way to get around filters one way or another.

Jun 08, 2011 at 04:21PM EDT
Quote

One thing that’s pissing me off is that I see that a good 95% of the new comments on the trending photos pictures related to ponies are people saying stuff about how much they hate ponies, saying no more pony pictures should be on the front page, and etc.

WHAT THE FUCK.

If you don’t want the picture to be on the front page, THEN DON’T POST ON IT.

Jun 08, 2011 at 04:26PM EDT
Quote

Ponies 4 teh lulz wrote:

I agree. 9 pictures is not enough to display when hundreds are submitted daily.
FYI, it has in fact been limited, but people got around it by bumping pony pix on other articles that were unrelated. People will always figure out a way to get around filters one way or another.

Then just make it a rule to ban people who try to bypass the filter. Doing so makes you look like a dick IMO, along with spamming ponies around the forums when it’s not necessary.
 
Problem solved?

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 04:28PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 04:27PM EDT
Quote

Dane wrote:

One thing that’s pissing me off is that I see that a good 95% of the new comments on the trending photos pictures related to ponies are people saying stuff about how much they hate ponies, saying no more pony pictures should be on the front page, and etc.

WHAT THE FUCK.

If you don’t want the picture to be on the front page, THEN DON’T POST ON IT.

This.
 
/thread

Jun 08, 2011 at 04:29PM EDT
Quote

Dane wrote:

One thing that’s pissing me off is that I see that a good 95% of the new comments on the trending photos pictures related to ponies are people saying stuff about how much they hate ponies, saying no more pony pictures should be on the front page, and etc.

WHAT THE FUCK.

If you don’t want the picture to be on the front page, THEN DON’T POST ON IT.

Agreed. When it comes to pony images trending, both sides are at fault (though mostly the bronies.)
I think a lot of them are newfags who have no idea how trending works.

Jun 08, 2011 at 04:35PM EDT
Quote

CyberSora wrote:

Then just make it a rule to ban people who try to bypass the filter. Doing so makes you look like a dick IMO, along with spamming ponies around the forums when it’s not necessary.
 
Problem solved?

It’s not against the rule to post on just one picture type.

I sincerely doubt this would be a proper way of fixing any sort of problem.

Jun 08, 2011 at 04:36PM EDT
Quote

Chris wrote:

It’s not against the rule to post on just one picture type.

I sincerely doubt this would be a proper way of fixing any sort of problem.

Not if the people who comment on it do it solely to bump ponies onto the trending list.
 
The only thing I can think of left is to not post ponies in other articles, regardless of meme crossovers. I think it could work, considering that you can just post all pony crossovers on the main article. If they don’t, then you know they’re trying to bypass the filter.
 
Thoughts?

Jun 08, 2011 at 04:41PM EDT
Quote

We could do it that way. But then MLP should be allowed to have 1 trending picture at a time, since it’s such a big page.

Wait a second… I think roughly a third of the posts on this thread are mine… lol.

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 05:05PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 05:00PM EDT
Quote

Ok, a good example of real pony spam (the forums doesn’t count, except for threadjacking) is the Advice Dog Page. The first few pages are entirely covered with pony pics.
We should take these images out and keep them on the main MLP page. Does everybody agree to this sort of solution?

Jun 08, 2011 at 05:11PM EDT
Quote

MDFification wrote:

Ok, a good example of real pony spam (the forums doesn’t count, except for threadjacking) is the Advice Dog Page. The first few pages are entirely covered with pony pics.
We should take these images out and keep them on the main MLP page. Does everybody agree to this sort of solution?

Crossovers are and have always been allowed.

I think that something along this lines would be:

1) Impossible to implement.

2) Far too drastic for the situation.

Jun 08, 2011 at 05:37PM EDT
Quote

CyberSora wrote:

Not if the people who comment on it do it solely to bump ponies onto the trending list.
 
The only thing I can think of left is to not post ponies in other articles, regardless of meme crossovers. I think it could work, considering that you can just post all pony crossovers on the main article. If they don’t, then you know they’re trying to bypass the filter.
 
Thoughts?

I have few questions:
1) HOW do you want to make people not able to post ponies in other articles without having a group of mods that would do nothing but check every single picture?
2) WHY shouldn’t the ponies be posted in other articles (the fact, that people are bypassing the filter doesn’t count- the entire filter-thingy is only temporal and it will eventually be removed, so no one will have any reason to bypass anything)? If there is a meme-related picture, it should be allowed to stay. You could as well filter out every Rageman/Forever Alone crossover and put it in it’s respective article.
3) WHY does everyone want to make MLP different from other memes? Sure, it has a huge fanbase, but why is that bad? Okay, MLP-related pictures took over the entire TPs, but come on- that’s not against the rules. Sure some people started to bypass the filter, but it doesn’t mean that we’re ALL doing it. It’s like saying, that every person that ever used Internet is a troll- it’s a statement based only on the information about a small fraction of a big group of people.
What I’m trying to say is: Don’t judge the entire group by the actions of it’s small fraction. Most of the Bronies aren’t fanatics. We love, respect and tolerate every other person in the entire world. Yet, the ones who do otherwise get the most attention, thus are the source of our bad reputation. (Our bad reputation is mostly caused by the fact, that prehistoric humans were in relatively small groups that were fighting for food and a place to live- that made us evolve some psychological mechanisms: we always want to think that “They” are the bad ones, and “We” are the good ones, so we only notice the good things about “Us” and the bad things about “Them”. This propably made fighting “Them” cause less moral dilemmas- “We” can kill “Them”, because “They” aren’t like “Us” and don’t have the same rights. Replace Group-A-of-prehistoric-Humans and Group-B-of-prehistoric-Humans with Bronies and Pony Haters and you have a really familiar situation…)

Jun 08, 2011 at 05:39PM EDT
Quote

Egad! Advice dog does need to be cleaned, and not just of ponies…

For image macros like advice dog which have already spawned tons of memes, it makes perfect sense to limit the entry page so that only actual advice dogs appear on it. It doesn’t need ponies, doctor who, random furries, anime characters etc. clogging up it’s entry page.

It already has 10 variations, so if enough examples of a new advice dog are found to warrant uploading here, they should have meme page all to themselves, and if they aren’t notable enough, then let it be dead pooled like half the variations already have been.

But at least the ponies are keeping the correct format for advice dog.

Why is this pedobear there http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/129005-advice-dog#

or a cup in philosoraptor? http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/131460-philosoraptor#

Could we get a report image button somewhere, I wouldn’t even mind if errant ponies got blasted by it. Instead of having to actually pay attention and go post links in the image cleaning thread?

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 05:48PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 05:47PM EDT

Chris wrote:

Crossovers are and have always been allowed.

I think that something along this lines would be:

1) Impossible to implement.

2) Far too drastic for the situation.

I really don’t care if that’s allowable by KYM rules, all those pony pictures are nothing but complete and utter, useless spam. Those pony pictures belong on the MLP page, not advice dog. I’m really disappointed in MLP being allowed to vampirically suck all of the awesomeness out of such an original meme.

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 05:48PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 05:47PM EDT
Quote

As I said in another thread-- the Trending photos are now being evaluated differently. Obviously, this is also subject to change if we find that it doesn’t work or is easily gamed.

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 06:10PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 06:09PM EDT
Quote

fetchbeer wrote:

Egad! Advice dog does need to be cleaned, and not just of ponies…

For image macros like advice dog which have already spawned tons of memes, it makes perfect sense to limit the entry page so that only actual advice dogs appear on it. It doesn’t need ponies, doctor who, random furries, anime characters etc. clogging up it’s entry page.

It already has 10 variations, so if enough examples of a new advice dog are found to warrant uploading here, they should have meme page all to themselves, and if they aren’t notable enough, then let it be dead pooled like half the variations already have been.

But at least the ponies are keeping the correct format for advice dog.

Why is this pedobear there http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/129005-advice-dog#

or a cup in philosoraptor? http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/131460-philosoraptor#

Could we get a report image button somewhere, I wouldn’t even mind if errant ponies got blasted by it. Instead of having to actually pay attention and go post links in the image cleaning thread?

I must again ask: WHY do you want to threat MLP crossovers like they’re not a part ot the meme? Or any other crossover, if we’re talking about that already? IF the picture is meme-related, then why can’t it stay? Because it has a pony on it? Why does that make it different from any other picture (not counting the fact of having a pony on it)? Okay, some people might be spamming them, but there are also “some people” who eat bicycles and “some people” who try to teach trees how to play on a flute, and that doesn’t mean that everyone else does or aproves that. Unless those pics are just mindless spam (by which i mean reposting the same picture(s) over and over again), they should have the exact same rights as any other picture. I also agree, that if something is popular enough, then it should be in it’s own sub-meme page (like those Noble 6 Advice-Dog-Style pics), but I have a feeling, that you would quickly start to complain about MLP related thing having it’s own sub-meme page.
I respect the fact, that you might want to see some non-pony related pictures, but if you want to have more of them, maybe you should try to UPLOAD some instead of whining about ponies being in every meme?

Jun 08, 2011 at 06:21PM EDT
Quote

Takuanuva wrote:

I must again ask: WHY do you want to threat MLP crossovers like they’re not a part ot the meme? Or any other crossover, if we’re talking about that already? IF the picture is meme-related, then why can’t it stay? Because it has a pony on it? Why does that make it different from any other picture (not counting the fact of having a pony on it)? Okay, some people might be spamming them, but there are also “some people” who eat bicycles and “some people” who try to teach trees how to play on a flute, and that doesn’t mean that everyone else does or aproves that. Unless those pics are just mindless spam (by which i mean reposting the same picture(s) over and over again), they should have the exact same rights as any other picture. I also agree, that if something is popular enough, then it should be in it’s own sub-meme page (like those Noble 6 Advice-Dog-Style pics), but I have a feeling, that you would quickly start to complain about MLP related thing having it’s own sub-meme page.
I respect the fact, that you might want to see some non-pony related pictures, but if you want to have more of them, maybe you should try to UPLOAD some instead of whining about ponies being in every meme?

It’s not that I want MLP crossovers treated differently than other memes, it’s that advice dog crossovers are already being treated differently than other crossovers.
 
I was wrong about how many variants of advice dog there are. The entry lists 10, but just searching for advice dog brings up 93 different advice dog spinoffs (more or less), if every one of these was uploaded into advice dog, you wouldn’t find an actual advice dog until halfway through the the image section.
 
But as the trend to separate advice dogs spinoffs from the original meme is already in precedent, then why shouldn’t we follow it when we have 4 pages of advice ponies to put up? That’s already as many as some of the confirmed advice dog sub memes. And would be less disruptive to the original meme than having to sort through 5 pages of spinoffs to find your first actual advice dog on it’s own entry page.

Jun 08, 2011 at 06:44PM EDT

fetchbeer wrote:

Egad! Advice dog does need to be cleaned, and not just of ponies…

For image macros like advice dog which have already spawned tons of memes, it makes perfect sense to limit the entry page so that only actual advice dogs appear on it. It doesn’t need ponies, doctor who, random furries, anime characters etc. clogging up it’s entry page.

It already has 10 variations, so if enough examples of a new advice dog are found to warrant uploading here, they should have meme page all to themselves, and if they aren’t notable enough, then let it be dead pooled like half the variations already have been.

But at least the ponies are keeping the correct format for advice dog.

Why is this pedobear there http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/129005-advice-dog#

or a cup in philosoraptor? http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/131460-philosoraptor#

Could we get a report image button somewhere, I wouldn’t even mind if errant ponies got blasted by it. Instead of having to actually pay attention and go post links in the image cleaning thread?

What if photos were allowed to have more than one origin meme? Crossovers would be clearly tagged, and would appear on both meme pages without being considered reposts. Users could filter out images tagged with memes they don’t want to see.

This would probably involve a redesign of the database, and might not be feasable, but it’s an idea.

Jun 08, 2011 at 08:42PM EDT
Quote

Maybe we could rank crossovers. Like, say, the older meme doesn’t get the crossovers on its page, the newer meme does.
But you’re probably right, it is a bit drastic. I see that the trending images got fixed though(yay) thats a good start.

Jun 08, 2011 at 08:45PM EDT
Quote

As an avid MLP fan and follower of Know Your Meme, I made this account to share my two cents.

First, regarding the pony spam. From what I’ve seen on other forums, the problem is rarely with the show itself. To my fellow bronies -- most of the people complaining don’t have a problem with your enjoyment of the show. As people have already stated in this thread, many of them accept that the show could be very good. The problem is that we often post ponies in situations where they are unnecessary.

On a website dedicated to ponies, such as Equestria Daily, feel free to saturate your posts with ponies. However, like DrPepperFan said, this is Know Your Meme, not Know Your Pony. Most online MLP communities (Penny Arcade, AllSpark, NeoGAF, /co/, /b/, etc) have dedicated pony threads. Those are there for a reason. While it may be fun to spread ponies throughout the website, it hampers constructive discussion. Feel free to use a pony profile picture or use unobtrusive references like “20 percent cooler,” but don’t try to make ponies the topic of every thread.

Second, regarding the crossover pictures. I believe that if a pony crossover picture is clever or fits the theme of the meme, they should be allowed. Taking some examples from yesterday’s trending bar, the Sad Keanu and WHY WUB WOO Pikachu pictures were perfectly valid crossovers. Sad Keanu combined an MLP fandom meme with the original picture in a way that added to the picture in a way that everyone could appreciate; the Pikachu picture added an exploitable face onto Pikachu, which is the point of that meme. On the other hand, the massive spam on the Advice Dog page doesn’t contribute much to the original meme. While they do follow the theme of the meme, they should be left to the main My Little Pony page.

Unfortunately, everything I mentioned above is the fault of the bronies, not the detractors. I’m in no way saying that bronies are wrong to like the show -- I’m obsessed with the show too. I’d just like to remind everyone to keep it in moderation. The brony mantra is to “Love and Tolerate.” This extends to tolerating the fact that not everyone is interested in seeing ponies. I know that the image filter may seem like a direct attack on MLP, but that should be taken as a compliment. MLP has become so significant that mods are forced to take emergency measures to accommodate it.

To the detractors: I fully sympathize with you. No matter how much I love this show, no one should be forced to be surrounded by it on a website with a much larger scope. It is a major internet phenomenon, so it will have a large presence on Know Your Meme, but it shouldn’t be at this level of complete saturation. Hopefully we will be able to maintain a peaceful coexistence on this website. If you haven’t already, you might want to watch a few episodes of the show (not just the pilot -- those provide a bad example of the show’s quality. I’m a fan of episodes 7,10,16, and 25). It definitely isn’t for everyone, but it will only take 20 minutes of your time.

TL;DR
“The brony mantra is to ‘Love and Tolerate.’ This extends to tolerating the fact that not everyone is interested in seeing ponies.”

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 10:10PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 10:09PM EDT
Quote

Although, I’m a brony, I can easily tell where the anti-bronies are coming from. Even I’m getting sick and tired of Ponies in every thread in every other post (this doesn’t count avatar pics). As Dr.Pepperfan said, this is Know Your Meme, not Know Your Pony. Ima quote from Quinnjaminn right here:

“No matter how much I love this show, no one should be forced to be surrounded by it on a website with a much larger scope. It is a major internet phenomenon, so it will have a large presence on Know Your Meme, but it shouldn’t be at this level of complete saturation.”

Everyone is perfectly fine if ponies are on KYM, it’s just that NO ONE is fine if ponies are EVERYWHERE on KYM.

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 10:22PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 10:21PM EDT
Quote

Wow! That’s more like it



Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 10:42PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 10:39PM EDT
Quote

MDFification wrote:

I’m also trying to be civil here, and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t harsh on my posts just because I’m not agreeing with you. I am simply stating that I believe that most of the instances you have named as spam do not qualify. That is what I meant by exaggeration.
You are right of course with my “determined to pick a fight with the bronies” comment. That was needless and potentially insulting.
KILLPONIES is not going to be considered by the bronies. Firstly, because its comes of as extremely-anti brony, and secondly because it doesn’t really offer a solution. The majority of the bronies on this site are trying to fight spam daily.
I might add that as for “unwanted” posts, there is a large brony community on this site, and it has the same rights to use the forum as everyone else. Most of our posts are not in fact pony-related, and the occasional out of place image is seen on hundreds of forum posts, by virtually every meme. Simply because of a few misguided individuals decided to actively spam the trending photos in relation to the pony pictures being taken off, which the majority of our community agreed with I might add, that this issue has been blown out of proportion by certain individuals. It’s not hard to find evidence of spam on a forum if you actively seek it out.
Most bronies are simply offended by the claims people aligned with KILLPONIES because they don’t spam. If you wish to suggest that simply being openly brony constitutes as spam, then I suggest you take your censorship elsewhere.
Now, does anyone have an actual practical solution to propose? Because simply ragging on how you dislike seeing ponies everywhere is in no way related to solving a legitimate spam problems.

Oh, I can see we’re just going to be the best of friends, aren’t we?

Okay, you want to know what my personal solution to the problem is? Now, this only pertains to the forum spam problem--other problems need to be addressed in other ways, which I will discuss in a later post. The pony spammers are, as I have already said, a small but vocal minority of the overall “brony” community. As I’ve also said in many other threads, if something bothers you, you can complain about it, or do something about it. The mechanism is already there to deal with forum nuisances: downvoting posts. I strongly encourage everyone who is against spamming of all kinds, not just the pony variety, to liberally use the downvote button. I have already taken the initiative myself to give serious consideration to voting on every post that I can form an opinion concerning, and I will at this time downvote any pony-themed post found outside of pony-themed threads, because in my opinion it’s gotten to the point where it needs to be selected out with extreme prejudice.

As for the rest of what you said, I have to ask: Did you actually read my post? I said repeatedly in the second paragraph of that post, this is not about “bronies”; this is about spam. Let me repeat and emphasize the religious metaphor I presented there: When people say that the Westboro Baptist Church is a bunch of assholes, then I, as a Christian, do not get offended; I say, “Yeah, they sure are.” And so, when people set up counter-demonstrations against the WBC, I don’t say, “I am simply offended by the claims of these protesters because I don’t protest at funerals. If they wish to suggest that simply being openly Christian constitutes being intolerant, then I suggest they take their protest elsewhere.” I recognize that the protest is about the actions of a specific group that truly is offensive whether you’re a Christian or not, and in fact should be more offensive to Christians because they are spewing hate and claiming that they speak for our God.

I’ll repeat the sentiment one more time: K.I.L.L.P.O.N.I.E.S. is not just in the interest of pony-haters, but in the interest of “bronies” that don’t want to see that term become synonymous with “spammers”. I assure you that I am far from the only one who feels like it’s gotten awfully close to that.

Last edited Jun 08, 2011 at 11:24PM EDT
Jun 08, 2011 at 11:23PM EDT
Quote

Forget this man, we should get a branch off just for bronies, and just have that.
Bronies just need to migrate away from KYM. Like a new continent branching off of the giant mecha continent of KYM.
It would be called know your pony, and it would be a separate site just for pony lovers, and there would be little mention of pony on KYM, other than the obligatory mention of it just for reference.
Heck, we could do this with all memes. Have another branch for just rage comics, another one for advice dog spinoffs. this isn’t a bad idea.

inb4 trolls, i understand this would be incredibly difficult to set up and maintain, and I’m not really serious about this. so hop off.

Jun 09, 2011 at 12:03AM EDT

Jolly Jew wrote:

suggetion: expand th trending bar to around 12-16 pictures.

limit it that only rougly 4 pictures could related to MLP.
everyone wins.

really easy

I disagree, and you may be surprised as to why.

I actually am against the current filtering out of ponies from the trending, because like it or not, they truly are trending. In filtering out ponies, we really are censoring a specific group that, despite the annoying nature of many of its members, is a legitimate group with a legitimate meme.

But aside from being against censorship, I also would like to see a solution that looks at the long-term. Hypothetical situation:

At the end of July, we will see the release of the new Smurfs movie. It looks like it could be awesome, so let’s assume it turns out to be. Really, like the greatest movie of 2011; it could happen. By mid-August, KYM is flooded with Smurfs.

…and we go through this all over again.

Look at Hiroman’s picture:
[photo:131936]
There are two things wrong with this picture in my opinion. While it’s better that it’s not dominated by ponies, the fact that not a single pony is there does not reflect the reality of current pony fandom. Secondly, you’ll see that there are two pictures from Y U NO, which means that in singling out pony pictures, we’ve left the door open for the (hypothetical) upcoming Smurf invasion.

It’s just my opinion, but I think all memes should be treated equally. (Even deadpooled ones, which may not catch on in the long-term, but may temporarily trend nonetheless.) I think it shows even-handedness and a level of control over the site if no more than one photo per meme is allowed to show.

I don’t even care if there is some (legitimate) meme crossover that happens such as this picture:
[photo:126576]
which I’m assuming is the one that a few people mentioned in this thread. That’s just a natural part of the process of memetic mutation. The above is, in my mind, a legitimate picture to be posted to Sad Keanu, and I would also not be offended by similar crossovers to
Haters Gonna Hate: http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/131977
It’s Goofy Time: http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/131925
Fucking Magnets: http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/131924
Brushie: http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/131893
and so on… This is just how memes work. On the other hand, there’s certainly a chance that this can go overboard, and the current state of the Advice Dog entry is evidence of that, but honestly, that entry has always been problematic because there are so many spinoffs. I don’t even think the problem there is that there are multiple pony pics, but that there is more than one instance of each type of spinoff. I think something that is missing from this site that the mods would do well to implement if they can is a method for users to mark pictures as “inappropriate”.

I do agree that nine pictures may not be enough given the overall volume of uploads the site gets, but I’m not so concerned about that.

Jun 09, 2011 at 12:13AM EDT
Quote

Well, glad to see that we’re getting this worked out now. Love the new “Random Meme” button, and the ponies were filtered out of the trending pictures more successfully. I know that some other MLP fans will get all mad about that, and I guess we’ll have to find a way to fix that. My suggestion is to have a trending pictures 3X3 box on every meme. Dunno how that would work, but eh. Whatevah. Anyways, it is really annoying me that many of the total MLP fans are using the MLP FiM page as a chat box. Is there anything anyone could do about that?

Jun 09, 2011 at 12:31AM EDT
Quote

I just want to say that I’m glad to see that KYM users are working things out about the Pony issues. I’ve been sticking to lurking the forums since about five months ago and been worried that there would be a major division among members between the bronies and non-bronies that wouldn’t be resolved, mostly due to the experience that I’ve had in other online communities/sub-communities where problems or drama wasn’t (and still isn’t, sad to say) handled very well by the mods. Alas, I was wrong and I am impressed. Kudos to the KYM mod team and the maturity of the members to talk things out and come up with possible solutions! thumbs up

Having said that, I agree with most of what’s been said about toning things down a bit… I admit to having acted stupid in one of the (really old) pony related threads that got heated a while back, and I do think some people take the fandom too far, which ends up ruining things for everyone involved. :/ I don’t have much to add in the idea department and these have already been suggested but I do think it’s a good idea to perhaps stick to posting the majority of MLP stuff to maybe one or two designated threads and keeping any Pony related postings outside said designated threads to a tolerable minimum. And a “Pony General Mod” to keep the bronies who go “wayward” in line doesn’t sound like a bad idea either.

Last edited Jun 09, 2011 at 12:56AM EDT
Jun 09, 2011 at 12:47AM EDT

What if we combined anime, The internet can now find stars, Desu, and bronies, with Cheeto?




Jun 09, 2011 at 01:11AM EDT

@Shifty Mario
I don’t think that that’s an inappropriate idea to suggest in general, but I think that’s a deeper issue that this thread has enough crap to deal with already that it doesn’t need to go there. If you’ve got a substantial argument to support this thesis, I suggest you create a thread for it in the Meme Research forum. I’m sure it would be a lively debate.

Jun 09, 2011 at 01:14AM EDT
Quote

@nsap
I can’t believe i didnt research before my post. MLP is already labeled a subculture. looking around the site, seems like other subcultures are here to.
deleted previous post since it didnt make sense.

Jun 09, 2011 at 01:26AM EDT
Quote

Quinnjaminn wrote:

As an avid MLP fan and follower of Know Your Meme, I made this account to share my two cents.

First, regarding the pony spam. From what I’ve seen on other forums, the problem is rarely with the show itself. To my fellow bronies -- most of the people complaining don’t have a problem with your enjoyment of the show. As people have already stated in this thread, many of them accept that the show could be very good. The problem is that we often post ponies in situations where they are unnecessary.

On a website dedicated to ponies, such as Equestria Daily, feel free to saturate your posts with ponies. However, like DrPepperFan said, this is Know Your Meme, not Know Your Pony. Most online MLP communities (Penny Arcade, AllSpark, NeoGAF, /co/, /b/, etc) have dedicated pony threads. Those are there for a reason. While it may be fun to spread ponies throughout the website, it hampers constructive discussion. Feel free to use a pony profile picture or use unobtrusive references like “20 percent cooler,” but don’t try to make ponies the topic of every thread.

Second, regarding the crossover pictures. I believe that if a pony crossover picture is clever or fits the theme of the meme, they should be allowed. Taking some examples from yesterday’s trending bar, the Sad Keanu and WHY WUB WOO Pikachu pictures were perfectly valid crossovers. Sad Keanu combined an MLP fandom meme with the original picture in a way that added to the picture in a way that everyone could appreciate; the Pikachu picture added an exploitable face onto Pikachu, which is the point of that meme. On the other hand, the massive spam on the Advice Dog page doesn’t contribute much to the original meme. While they do follow the theme of the meme, they should be left to the main My Little Pony page.

Unfortunately, everything I mentioned above is the fault of the bronies, not the detractors. I’m in no way saying that bronies are wrong to like the show -- I’m obsessed with the show too. I’d just like to remind everyone to keep it in moderation. The brony mantra is to “Love and Tolerate.” This extends to tolerating the fact that not everyone is interested in seeing ponies. I know that the image filter may seem like a direct attack on MLP, but that should be taken as a compliment. MLP has become so significant that mods are forced to take emergency measures to accommodate it.

To the detractors: I fully sympathize with you. No matter how much I love this show, no one should be forced to be surrounded by it on a website with a much larger scope. It is a major internet phenomenon, so it will have a large presence on Know Your Meme, but it shouldn’t be at this level of complete saturation. Hopefully we will be able to maintain a peaceful coexistence on this website. If you haven’t already, you might want to watch a few episodes of the show (not just the pilot -- those provide a bad example of the show’s quality. I’m a fan of episodes 7,10,16, and 25). It definitely isn’t for everyone, but it will only take 20 minutes of your time.

TL;DR
“The brony mantra is to ‘Love and Tolerate.’ This extends to tolerating the fact that not everyone is interested in seeing ponies.”

Well would you look at that, a completely new member just obliterated every argument with perfect logic and understanding. Pretty impressive.

Jun 09, 2011 at 03:13AM EDT
Quote

Drpepperfan #1 Fan Of Osaka wrote:

Well would you look at that, a completely new member just obliterated every argument with perfect logic and understanding. Pretty impressive.

I know, right? Currently standing with a KQ of 800. It’s all downhill from here.

Jun 09, 2011 at 12:10PM EDT
Quote

Just got round to reading nsəp’s post (gonna be honest, thought tl;dr first time), and wow, that was very well written! Great points man, I approve.

He is wise man! (or girl, i dunno)

Jun 09, 2011 at 12:36PM EDT
Quote

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Well in all seriousness, it could be much worse.

@Captain Blubber
People are taking your double post serious, check the karma.

I saw that too.

You guys never cease to amaze me.

Either way, my karma to effort ratio for that double post is pretty good. 42 karmas for 6 words, 17 letters and no pictures, that must be a record.

Last edited Jun 09, 2011 at 02:02PM EDT
Jun 09, 2011 at 02:00PM EDT
Quote

I agree with nsəp. And that’s pretty much everything I can say about his post.
I apreciate finally seeing someone who (propably) isn’t a Brony, yet thinks, that even though MLP is everywhere, it should be treated as every other meme, even if many (don’t mistake that word with “most” or “all”) of the Bronies can be quite annoying.
By the way, even though I’m a Brony, I’m annoyed by those spammers as well- they make Bronies as a subculture look like a group of ordinary trolls who keep posting ponies just to annoy everyone.

Jun 09, 2011 at 02:47PM EDT
Quote

Takuanuva wrote:

I agree with nsəp. And that’s pretty much everything I can say about his post.
I apreciate finally seeing someone who (propably) isn’t a Brony, yet thinks, that even though MLP is everywhere, it should be treated as every other meme, even if many (don’t mistake that word with “most” or “all”) of the Bronies can be quite annoying.
By the way, even though I’m a Brony, I’m annoyed by those spammers as well- they make Bronies as a subculture look like a group of ordinary trolls who keep posting ponies just to annoy everyone.

Seconded. I’m just annoyed that from my perspective it seems they’ve also incited massive, mostly unfounded retaliation directed at the majority of us instead of them.
But I’m going to stop protesting the interests of solving this. Once again, does anyone have a solution other then complaining that the bronies should just stop? ‘cause it’s unlikely the spammers are just going to listen.

Jun 09, 2011 at 03:15PM EDT
Quote

That feel when bronies are whinning for no reason and complaining on trending pictures that aren’t pony-related.

Jun 09, 2011 at 04:00PM EDT
Quote

Tomberry wrote:

That feel when bronies are whinning for no reason and complaining on trending pictures that aren’t pony-related.

I objec…
yah, I guess you’re right.

Jun 09, 2011 at 05:42PM EDT
Quote

MDFification wrote:

Seconded. I’m just annoyed that from my perspective it seems they’ve also incited massive, mostly unfounded retaliation directed at the majority of us instead of them.
But I’m going to stop protesting the interests of solving this. Once again, does anyone have a solution other then complaining that the bronies should just stop? ‘cause it’s unlikely the spammers are just going to listen.

I’m sorry, but I continue to feel like you’re not really reading what other people are saying. Who has incited “massive, mostly unfounded retaliation” against anyone, much less the non-spamming “bronies”? Please point to the post (or set of posts, since it’s “they”) in which this happened.

Jun 09, 2011 at 07:47PM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

I’m sorry, but I continue to feel like you’re not really reading what other people are saying. Who has incited “massive, mostly unfounded retaliation” against anyone, much less the non-spamming “bronies”? Please point to the post (or set of posts, since it’s “they”) in which this happened.

I’m not saying you have to accept it, I’m saying I feel like that. I could protest that I read this entire thread, but that would be wasting both our time.
What I meant by saying I feel there’s been massive unwarranted retaliation, is that despite the fact that it’s been suggested we merely find spammers and ban them like we do to regular spammers, there’s discussion of MLP filters and whatnot. I actually support some of those, just to try to promote the other memes on this site, but if people supporting them look like they’re anti-brony instead of anti-spam, which frankly KILLPONIES (I think the name kind of gave it away) and several other users protesting brony spam do. I’m not saying there actually are, because there are several including you who I actually just think want what’s best for the site, but it looks that way and it sets a bad precedent to let that go unchallenged.
And please, lets not restart our little feud… I’m trying not to. We both said some things that… actually, don’t really matter. You have you’re opinion and I have mine.

Last edited Jun 09, 2011 at 09:18PM EDT
Jun 09, 2011 at 09:12PM EDT
Quote

Meh, I don’t think ponies are that bad I think I am starting to become a bronie myself.

Jun 09, 2011 at 09:32PM EDT

MDFication wrote:

You have you’re opinion and I have mine.

But I’m also a grammar Nazi, and you’ve just crossed the line by using the wrong homophone! There can be no peace while “bronies” continue this rampant misspelling!


[photo:36290]
Last edited Jun 09, 2011 at 09:45PM EDT
Jun 09, 2011 at 09:35PM EDT
Quote

Because handwaving something for arbitrary reasons is progress, right guys? Back to the subject, I think MDFification has a good point, many of what could have been decent ideas have been handwaved themselves because of the attitude they seem to take. KP didn’t really seem at all amicable, which is a major issue, as very few people are going to look at the merits of your ideas seriously when you present them with a general air of what seems to be resentment towards those they would effect most. The main cause of this conflict was the trending and the spamming, right? Well, bronies are taking measures to attempt to reduce the pony spam already, and have mostly acknowledged and apologized for the fault in their behavior. As for the issues of the trending, the mods are working hard on this already, and there isn’t very much that is readily apparent that any of us can do personally for the moment. Hopefully soon the photos will reflect the status of the memes effectively without being biased one way or another.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:19AM EDT
Quote

I’ll just put in my two cents, then probably never remember to come back again.

Pretty much what I just saw a bunch of people already say on it. When on another meme page, talk about that meme or topic in a forum. Ponies can come up in conversation or whatever, but don’t force it. Do not try and redirect people to talking about it for the sake of bringing it up.
As for the overload of trending that happened before, I see that as totally legit. They were the pictures with the most comments, and thus belonged on the trending according to the system. I didn’t really like it though, as it stopped other way awesome pictures from other memes, like that rage comic, from sticking around.

Jun 10, 2011 at 01:27AM EDT
Quote

This thread seems to have accomplished its purpose, with the letting out of feelings and the rational discussion and arguments.

So, with this, the thread draws to a close.

Please remember that people aren’t trying on purpose to be annoying, they are just trying to share in memes with everyone else, just like ourselves.

Our admins have worked out a new way to calculate trending photos and our brony population has addressed the perceived spamming of photos on the forums.

Thank you all for a successful thread.

Jun 10, 2011 at 01:38AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!