Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,689 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

I've come across a problem.

Last posted Aug 22, 2011 at 07:46PM EDT. Added Aug 21, 2011 at 08:21PM EDT
16 posts from 12 users

From OhInternet, the by product of ED (and potential KYM wannabe) :

And of course, ED itself.

(That sentence was in the original website. It later got deleted. You can see it in their very first version of the entry.)

Last edited Aug 21, 2011 at 08:56PM EDT

Strange. Never actually noticed that haha… But, I don't think that that's a problem, Sweatie Killer. It's like how Cracked sources Wikipedia almost every other sentence, but Cracked is supremely better due to the third party influence.

Right?

It's nice to see they changed their article again to describe KYM.
Let's see:

Origins
this is on almost every page of KYM

Founded in late November of 2007, Know Your Meme began as a MediaWiki with intentions similar to that of Encyclopedia Dramatica, and infact began its content base primarily by directly copy and pasting many ED articles.

Its YouTube videos featured persons in lab-coats explaining internet phenomena to the laymen.

In March 2011 it was acquired by The Cheezburger Network, another self-described meme community.
Current status

It has moved away from the MediaWiki format and now sports a news-style layout.

The site has received criticism from many internet communities as a shameless attempt to make money off of the content of others, a tactic well known to those familiar with the rocky history between Something Awful and Ebaumsworld. .

Somewhat true, especially in the beginning, but citation needed. Linking back to ED since the beginning is the least that can be done to show that we aren't "loathed" that much. Ironically, since ED was taken down and replaced by their attempt at an inception mindfuck, a website plagiarizing a website that plagiarized its initial self, KYM was among the firsts to point at the making of ED.ch.

System

Apart from its YouTube videos, users submit memes through submissions, where they post up a picture and a 1-2 sentence summary. But one good look at the Submissions tab would show that a huge majority consists non-legitimate memes, forced memes, extremely minor variations of another meme, yet ANOTHER Advice Dog variants (because that never gets old, does it?), or a copypasta Rage face MS Paint comic with zero original art. The worst (as in, terrible even by their standards) of these get shoved into the Deadpool tab.

If the submission is not completely terrible, they become Confirmed memes. However, the overall "legitimacy" of some approved memes are questionable. While there are still some legitimate, time-tested memes, there are still plenty of minor variants and not-so-popular memes that somehow passed quality control.

While KYM does sometimes have a breadth of trivia, what makes this site to be loathed? The demographic. If being part of The Cheezburger Network isn't big enough of a clue, KYM consists of and appeals to the same meme-spammers that are slowly (or quickly) suffocating memes to the point of unfunniness, and is the foundation and purpose of the creation of the website itself. Although in one point of view it provides knowledge and trivia related to a meme, it also perpetuates and promotes inappropriate usage of memes, new and old.

LOLTRIVIA. Okay, still, it would be hypocritical to state that everything written in this paragraph is utterly wrong. We already have reconsidered several times that fact of "minor memes", ragecomic/advice dog spinoffs and the like. I don't think there is a definite answer here because, if a phenomenon gets enough attention for some time (although how unfunny it may appears to some), it still needs to be documented.

tl;dr Nothing new under the clouds.

Last edited Aug 21, 2011 at 09:14PM EDT

pug on toast wrote:

From OhInternet, the by product of ED (and potential KYM wannabe) :

And of course, ED itself.

(That sentence was in the original website. It later got deleted. You can see it in their very first version of the entry.)

Actually I got it off ED.ch, its still there, they don't update articles at all.

I just thought the sentence was worthy enough to start a thread about.

Anyways everytime someone makes a reference to ED, someone writes an article, seriously show me a thread related to ED without an article, or a few.

Last edited Aug 21, 2011 at 09:50PM EDT

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Actually I got it off ED.ch, its still there, they don't update articles at all.

I just thought the sentence was worthy enough to start a thread about.

Anyways everytime someone makes a reference to ED, someone writes an article, seriously show me a thread related to ED without an article, or a few.

What? Where?

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Is that thing attacking Freddy Krueger?

I read ED's article about KYM many months ago, shortly after they discovered this site. They could have been a lot crueler.

So considering it now, I think they have a soft spot for this place. We'll know for sure now if they start making the article very offensive or very clean in attempts to hide that.

Wheatley wrote:

Is that thing attacking Freddy Krueger?

I read ED's article about KYM many months ago, shortly after they discovered this site. They could have been a lot crueler.

So considering it now, I think they have a soft spot for this place. We'll know for sure now if they start making the article very offensive or very clean in attempts to hide that.

Actually, you've got a good point. Those guys are usually off the charts on the sarcasm scale, so if they wrote an article talking about what a great site we are, then I'd really be worried.

I still am one of the first to admit that Encyclopædia Dramatica does much of the same things that we do, but they do it better because they're not restraining themselves from being offensive or full of NSFW material. However, that doesn't mean that we're redundant, we just cater to a userbase that can't really handle the extremes of ED, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. (Not that I'm saying everyone here is too…anything for ED, but that we're more n00b-friendly.)

Brucker wrote:

Actually, you've got a good point. Those guys are usually off the charts on the sarcasm scale, so if they wrote an article talking about what a great site we are, then I'd really be worried.

I still am one of the first to admit that Encyclopædia Dramatica does much of the same things that we do, but they do it better because they're not restraining themselves from being offensive or full of NSFW material. However, that doesn't mean that we're redundant, we just cater to a userbase that can't really handle the extremes of ED, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. (Not that I'm saying everyone here is too…anything for ED, but that we're more n00b-friendly.)

I agree with that, but there are also times when ED likes to be straightforward.
I mean, if you read their article for SomethingAwful, they actually praise the website for its creations. I don't think it's meant to be ironic that much, or ironic at all for that matter.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!