320,689 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Nation RP

Last posted Mar 28, 2016 at 04:35PM EDT. Added Dec 07, 2011 at 03:12PM EST
1043 posts from 24 users

Cale wrote:

What is this changing avatar bullshit…

I was just swapping gifs to see how the looked as avatars. I like my current avatar the best out of the other couple squidward gifs.

Turn 20 [1350 AD – 1500 AD]
Middle Ages

Game Notes:
-This is the last turn for this game. Stay tuned for details.

Nations

Cultures

Religions

World Events
-The last traces of the Mongol empire die out as the Timurid Empire expands to destroy the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate, and the Mongol dynasty in China comes to an end.

Angmar Imperium (WitchKing)

Govt: Republic
Army: [==|========]
Navy: [====|======]

Tech: [======|====]
-The Bulgarians are fought back, although the strain of the war doubles when Tamerlane invades from the east.
-As experience against the Timurid armies shows, gunpowder weaponry is far superior to the old medieval standard, and Angmar has begun complete integration of the rifle and cannon into regular ranks of the military.
-Constantinople is regularly bombarded to make sure the Byzantines know they are still at war.

Cattonia (MadCat)

Govt: Kingdom
Navy: [===|=======]

Tech: [=========|=]
-Gunpowder weapons are pioneered on the battlefronts, as cannons make their way into Nubia.
-The northern armies are completely routed, and the Egyptians have begun rapidly advancing deep into Cattonia.
-The battering ram, a weapon that had recently been outdated by the cannon, is revived for horribly unsuccessful use against formations of rifle bearing infantry.
-Grenades are developed.

England (FridgeLogic)

Govt: Theocratic Monarchial Republic
Navy: [===|=======]

Tech: [====|======]
-

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 06:30PM EST

Espania (QuakerPerez)

Govt: Monarchial Republic
Navy: [=|=========]

-The king abdicates his throne to his daughter to avoid the shame of having disgraced his nation so.
-The economical might of Espania is further isolated as the nation takes on a xenophobic stance towards the rest of the world, and begins to ensure its own self-sufficiency by expanding farms and mines. The reliance on imported goods wanes, and then dissapears entirely.
-Trade with the Kolinahr nations still continues.
-As the old armies have been destroyed, the queen organizes a people's military in which the mob will serve as national defense. This is made all the easier with the invention of gunpowder weapons, as it no longer takes a lifetime of combat training and specialized personal weapons to make a good soldier.
-Oliphaunts are fitted with small gun platforms for devastating effect, although mostly to morale. It does however, make moving artillery much easier.
-A fleet travels along the coast of Africa, for discovery.

Fasier (DarkErmac)

Govt: Kingdom
Navy: [==|========]

Tech: [=====|=====]
-Guns are being slowly adopted by the military, although most generals are still wary of them due to the tragedy that destroyed the capital.
-Northern expansion continues.
-Cuzco opens up trade.

Mertola (RocketPropelledPanda)

Govt: Theocratic Republic

Tech: [=======|===]
-The Pacific ocean is reached.
-Gunpowder, specifically dynamite, is used in mining to great effect. Bombs are also developed for the army.
-Botanists begin documenting all the life forms in Mertola.
-Explorers are sent deep to the south, and discover the northern reaches of the Cuzco Empire.
-Missionaries spread Falconism about the continent.

Naronius (MisterJ)

Army: [===|=======]
Navy: [======|====]

-The armies return to Vietnam to hold off the Mongols, and after a lengthy stalemate, peace ensues, shortly followed by the complete and total collapse of the last remnants of the Mongol dynasties in Asia.
-Cannons are fitted onto ships, and an expedition is launched to intimidate and reclaim the Pacific islands. Unfortunately this ambitious attempt has greatly drained the navy's capability of fending off further Magwoli attacks, and they manage to obtain a solid control over central Indonesia.

Promethean Caliphate (Vlad)

Govt: Caliphate
Army: [====|======]
Navy: [==|========]

Tech: [==========|]
-The eastern half of Anatolia is occupied, but no consent is given by the Rossiyan's for this occupation, and a short skirmish ensues.
-Egypt is invaded, around the same time as Tamerlane invades from the west. Heavy European backing of the Egyptians, combined with the total collapse of core territories, has led to a disastrous end to the Egyptian war through a force peace treaty.
-Gunpowder weapons ranging from bombs to rifles are rapidly being introduced by the Timurids.

Rossiya (RussianFedora)

-Bulgaria is invaded, and as the Timurids invade from the west, the nation's capital falls and all hope for defeating the Bulgarians is lost with it. Their distraction has led to a minor Angmaran victory.
-The war with Bulgaria has dragged in her allies in Byzantium, who quickly launched a campaign into Rossiyan territory.
-Gunpowder weaponry is rapidly becoming the primary weapons in Rossiya's armies.

Sydney-Syserror (BSOD)

Govt: Monarchy
Army: [===|=======]
Navy: [=====|=====]

Tech: [========|==]
-The war with Christchurch comes to an abrupt end as the senate is captured and forced to sign a peace treaty. The exhaustion of the war, and the decimation of Syserror's armies however, has forced them into an unfavorable peace with Magwoli.

Okay, here's why I ended the game so soon.

1) These turns take way too long to compile. I mean, hours and hours of editing this map and writing the turn itself. Its just way too much for me to handle, and takes far too much of the day away from me. In the beginning it was easy, but eventually this has turned into a nightmare of a time consuming beast.

2) Having to research every portion of the globe independently and figure out not only what empires were there, but how they got there, why they expanded where they did, and which wars they participated in is a colossal task, which only gets more complicated after this turn, when the various continents start interacting with each other directly.

3) As stated before, my connection is horrible, and it takes way too long to browse around these forums or upload images. I just hate it, and for whatever reason, the times that it lags the most is precisely when I start posting the turns. I get the feeling that somebody out there is attacking me because I am running this game, because it is just too coincidental that my connection goes dead the moment I start posting the turn.

4) If I run another game like this, I will limit y'all to Europe only. Because quite honestly, it was very hard to create events outside of Europe and the middle east that were interesting or limited your expansion. Also, as it wouldn't be fair to limit player technology just because they started elsewhere, the dispersion of modern techs has led to a very powerful and modern America and Oceania. Like the Cuzco Empire (and because of them, eventually the Aztecs) having gunpowder weapons, modern (for the time) medicine, and large ships.

So, for those reasons, I am ending the game early. Sorry to disappoint. I hope it was fun while it was going.

I wish the game could have reached the 19th century but its all good Syndic, I perfectly understand why you need to stop.

Either way, it was fun while it lasted and you get a truckload* of karma from us all. Thanks for your effort and dedication to the cause. Posters like you make this forum stand out from the rest

*Fun fact: I got bored and counted up all the Karma that Syndic earned from this thread from the start of the game to where he called it off. I managed to reach 269. Almost every single Syndic post was upvoted at least once or twice

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 07:29PM EST

Syndic wrote:

Okay, here's why I ended the game so soon.

1) These turns take way too long to compile. I mean, hours and hours of editing this map and writing the turn itself. Its just way too much for me to handle, and takes far too much of the day away from me. In the beginning it was easy, but eventually this has turned into a nightmare of a time consuming beast.

2) Having to research every portion of the globe independently and figure out not only what empires were there, but how they got there, why they expanded where they did, and which wars they participated in is a colossal task, which only gets more complicated after this turn, when the various continents start interacting with each other directly.

3) As stated before, my connection is horrible, and it takes way too long to browse around these forums or upload images. I just hate it, and for whatever reason, the times that it lags the most is precisely when I start posting the turns. I get the feeling that somebody out there is attacking me because I am running this game, because it is just too coincidental that my connection goes dead the moment I start posting the turn.

4) If I run another game like this, I will limit y'all to Europe only. Because quite honestly, it was very hard to create events outside of Europe and the middle east that were interesting or limited your expansion. Also, as it wouldn't be fair to limit player technology just because they started elsewhere, the dispersion of modern techs has led to a very powerful and modern America and Oceania. Like the Cuzco Empire (and because of them, eventually the Aztecs) having gunpowder weapons, modern (for the time) medicine, and large ships.

So, for those reasons, I am ending the game early. Sorry to disappoint. I hope it was fun while it was going.

C-can you at least give me some nukes and let me finish the game?

It's been fun, and I'm sad to see it end, but I understand why. Also, here's a compilation of the last turn of every game so far that I put together out of boredom.

Game #1: Nukes fall everyone dies*

*Not pictured: United Federation of Russian Martian Colonies (Sorry RF)

Game #2: Alliance Balancing

Game #3: Revenge of the United Nations

Game #4: Alliance Balancing – First Diplomacy Part II

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 07:46PM EST

Cale wrote:

EPILOUGE:

Angmar hat th rite relijun and they summond teh g0dz and teyh killes all he emenies the edn.

You have a really big ego, you know that?

Epilogue [1500 – 1900]

Epilogue Map
Map With Modern Borders

Europe
-As the wars in the Balkans come to a close, it becomes obvious that a larger power will be needed to keep Rossiya and Angmar in check, and an alliance between Venice, Helvetica, and Austria is formed. Over the centuries it becomes more of a union than an alliance, and the Austro-Helvetican Empire is formed. With time, the Austrian crown dwindles in power, and the lands are more commonly simply known as Helvetica, although in practice the "Triple V" monarchy between Venice, Vienna, and Vernier still has significant amounts of power.
-The Italian state forms after a Corsican named Napoleon Bonaparte goes on a conquering rampage across Europe, redrawing the borders of Helvetica and Germany. German unification soon follows as well.
-Espania tries her hand at the colonial game, but is shocked to find natives in the new world wielding gunpowder weapons of significantly longer range and higher calibre than her own.

Asia
-Naronius is invaded by Japan and Magwoli in unison, and they tear apart her island empire. The nation is forced to turn inland for any future conquests, and as a fractured Indian subcontinent falls apart with Cattonian invasions, Naronius picks up the pieces, and over the centuries, solidifies control over a very powerful south Asian empire.
-Cattonia expands her influence over Asia with the fall of the Timur dynasty, and gains a colonial empire stretching deep into India and Pakistan.
-Angmar is forces to turn her attention east as alliances and coalitions in Europe prevent any further westward expansion. There are many border fights and disagreements with the Russians over the years.

Africa
-Egypt manages to gain a victory over Cattonia as her armies were busy occupying southern Africa to take to the defense, and the northern reaches of the empire are conquered and forever lost. However, the Cattonians manage to invent the steam engine, and with it came an unbridled conquest of the native lands. Wild jungles and previously dangerous rivers became flat open farmlands and steamboat canals as the industrial empire spread west.
-After having defeated Burgundian and Italian colonies, a treaty is forged with the African christian kingdoms to split up north Africa, although most of what Egypt, Tunisia, and Morocco got were empty desert landscapes.

North America
-A long and violent war occurs with the Aztecs, who managed to defeat the armies of Appalachia, Mertola, and Vinland. A series of smaller wars and border skirmishes have ensued to the present day, and there is strong animosity between the two sides.

South America
-The Cuzco empire is replaced with the Incans, which collaborate with Fasier to remove the few European settlers in the Amazon, and then settle the region themselves. Overall, there are few to no conflicts on this continent.

Oceania
-Japan builds herself a massive empire over the Pacific, forcing Naronius out of the picture.
-Sydney-Syserror eventually conquers the Magwoli, and there was much rejoicing.

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 08:51PM EST

In recognition of Syndic's hard work, I already went through the thread a couple days ago and gave him kramas on every post. I expect the no-doubt grateful players will all do the same.

I'm a bit bummed that the surprise I worked lout with Syndic never came to pass, but perhaps we'll save it for another game. Actually, if I get a lot of personal stuff sorted out and figure out how to make it work, I may try running one of these with simpler rules and a made-up map.

If you need help with such Brucker, notify me, and I can teach you how to use paint.net to make these maps.

Also, I may start up a new game once I have free time again, set on the epilogue of this game and running through the events of the first half of the twentieth century. But that's a while into the future, and might not even happen. If we do another game, I'll probably work off of a Europe map anyway.

Another possibility would be to continue running a game through the next school semester, but only updating on weekends. Maybe a bit too slow for most people's tastes tho.

Good game everyone, I enjoyed the epilogue and I'm happy that I managed to keep control of most of the Arabian Peninsula. I can't wait for the next game, whenever that may be.

Syndic wrote:

If you need help with such Brucker, notify me, and I can teach you how to use paint.net to make these maps.

Also, I may start up a new game once I have free time again, set on the epilogue of this game and running through the events of the first half of the twentieth century. But that's a while into the future, and might not even happen. If we do another game, I'll probably work off of a Europe map anyway.

Another possibility would be to continue running a game through the next school semester, but only updating on weekends. Maybe a bit too slow for most people's tastes tho.

I think I will likely be able to handle it in whatever software I have at the time. If I end up doing it, I really want to make a map from scratch so the game unfolds as a mystery. I may even want to keep the map unpublished as well so as to add another layer of mystery to the game, i.e. let players know what is immediately surrounding them, but not letting them know where the other players are until they run into them. I need to think about what's practical and what's not, though.

Howdy! You must login or signup first!