Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,710 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

If you had a Time Machine.

Last posted Mar 06, 2012 at 04:23PM EST. Added Feb 03, 2012 at 05:33PM EST
60 posts from 37 users

I would go to the point of the end of Earth, 3 Mil Years future and go back to present da, Knowing how the world well end.

Last edited Feb 03, 2012 at 05:40PM EST

Kalmo wrote:

I would go back about 2 months and try to make it so that my girlfriend wouldn't break up with me.

I would go back one month and talk to Kalmo's ex so she can tell me my dick is bigger so I can try to convince her that Kalmo is a pretty cool guy, eh sucks mod's dicks and doesn't afraid of anything.
Except Taryn.

That would depend on the time machine. If I had a Delorean, I'd go through time ramming people at 87 mph right before hitting 88 and fleeing the scene. If I had a TARDIS, I'd let it stand somewhere so people think it's a telephone booth. Once they enter, I'd take them to a different time, then kick them out and leave.

Herobrine wrote:

If you had a Delorean, TARDIS or some other time traveling item, when and where would you go?
Inb4 preventing SOPA and ACTA.

I would go back to late in high school when I was deciding where I wanted to go to college. I had a chance to go to school in Utah. I chose to go to a large school closer to my home.

Anyway, I was a pretty good student: lettered in football and wrestling (even attended a top D-I NCAA football camp my junior year, and caught the attention of the head coach. Seriously.), All-State Choir for five years (along with a region title in Boys' Quartet and several years in show chorus and our more traditional chorus,) school president my senior year, editor of the school newspaper, assistant editor of the yearbook, voted Most Likely to Succeed, worked at the local radio station part-time…and other things like a good SAT score and a good GPA. Just saying that I was good at high school.

That translated into a lot of local schools offering me scholarships and incentives to attend their school. Most of them were in my state which was nice, because there was a state program that paid for a 4-year education there given certain academic and behavior criteria if you stayed in state.

But there was one school that stuck out. And only because of where it was at. Utah.

Westminster College. I went to a school in Georgia state for high school. I had never been further west than Mississippi and not further north than Kentucky. I had never been on a plane before. But I wanted to see more of the world. And going to Mississippi was a big deal to me. Living in Salt Lake City would have been something no one in mind family (or most of my friends) could claim. I wanted to know what it was like to see something like the Great Salt Lake, to see people who weren't just poorer white people or poor black people, to hear accents outside of a slight to pronounced southern drawl…but mostly, I didn't want to get stuck in the south for all of my life.

And they were offering me a full-ride. Even at the school I decided to go to with the HOPE scholarship, I would have had to pay for food and other things. Westminster would have covered everything: tuition, room, board, books…I would only have to spend money on entertainment and stuff. And having none of the pressure of loans when I came out of school would have been great.

I would have had the opportunity to make connections with professors no one in my hometown would have heard of. Most of those professors would have known professors from some of the schools out in California, and if I had decided to go to graduate school, I could have had contacts with people in Stanford, Cal, or other stellar schools out on the Pacific.

And I would have been able to say as an 18 year old that I got out. It was something really important to a broke, black kid from the sticks. It would have been something for any kid from the sticks. Even if I came back home to work, I would have known my alma mater was way, way out there, and I would have made those connections in Salt Lake City if I ever wanted to find work away from the humidity.

But I think I kinda wanted a culture shock of sorts. I didn't want to leave the US, but what's more out there than Utah? Mormons…Mormons, everywhere. Even though my school didn't have many minorities (it was about 80% Caucasian,) Westminster's previous freshman class had about 97% Caucasian people. 2% was Asian. 1% was "other." Not black: Other.

Don't get me wrong…I think you can tell I'm not the most ethnic of minorities, but I had never been in a situation where I felt like there weren't black people around. I figured that wherever I went to school would need to prepare me to deal with mostly white people as a black person. And most of the white people I would meet in Georgia would essentially have similar backgrounds. Westminster would have offered that experience.

However, I chose to go to my current alma mater in Georgia. I had my own experiences there, and I say would trade them for anything, but you never know.

What if questions abound. Would I have met as many different people in Utah? Would I have had more opportunities to travel? Would I have gotten over my fear of flying? Would I have taken a different major? Would I still be in touch with my friends from high school? I most certainly wouldn't have as many loans to pay off.

And, of course, people say you shouldn't regret things. And I don't quite regret going to my college. But I did have a lot of bad experiences as well. At a party school, I experienced a loss of faith, subsequent depression, burnout, a busted self-esteem from girls who…have an "interesting" take on what guys should be and what they shouldn't be.

I may have received some of those same problems at Westminster, but who can say? I think I may have preferred a smaller university like that. I would have gotten over my fear of planes. I would have made closer relationships with the few people I did meet and like, and in a state filled with religious pe

ople, I would have clung even closer to my faith, may have questioned it differently, or just converted altogether.

I wouldn't have taken up the social sciences and pursued graduate school, I may have stuck with Journalism, I may have actually had a steady girlfriend as opposed to just dating (a number between a few and several) girls…I can honestly say that I do wonder about those. A time machine would give me that kind of opportunity to reaccess it.

And I haven't even asked about whether I would retain my memories as I know and understand my past now. Or if I could replay the event/influence it.

With what I know now, I wouldn't have been as arrogant as I was. Like I said, I was good at high school in pretty much all aspects. But I better know what I'm good at, I know what I'm passable at (still a few things,) and I know what I'm only mediocre at (but only thought more of myself, because I hadn't seen the talent the world has to offer. For you older people, I hear it all of the time, but thinking back on what decision I would have made now as opposed to what I made then, you wish you had the knowledge and wisdom (or whatever wisdom I have now) back then.

I'm a little bit more outgoing in terms of opportunity, but I'm much more in-touch with my natural introvert. I know that I have an interest in journalism and in the social sciences. I know that I really like to play sports (and might have made a team at Westminster.)

Might have actually seen a snow-capped mountain range IRL…

I think I might have taken that scholarship.

Because, at the end of the day, ramen can get tiresome.

@Verbose

CBC #4? Break the character limit?

Anyway I don't think I could resist taking the machine back to 33AD Israel just to find out what Jesus did once and for all. It would answer so much.

Then again…what if it is better to leave the biblical things unknown? What if the real truth is no better than the belief?

Philosoraptor.jpg

….

You know what? I'm fascinated by the future, I'm taking it to the year 3000AD in New York so I can meet the cast of Futurama.

Last edited Feb 03, 2012 at 08:54PM EST

I would go back and time and prevent myself from using the time machine in the first place. I mean… what if I caused a paradox? That would be a disaster.

Captain Douglas J Falcon wrote:

I would go to when hitler was about to die, and where hitler died.
TO WATCH THE GLORY.

Fuck that. I'd kill him as a baby so his reign of terror never happened.

I would convince my past self not to go to that very expensive college. Getting a BFA and becoming a barista was NOT WORTH THE IRONY.

EDIT:

Me in real life only female and not a hipster.

Last edited Feb 03, 2012 at 11:07PM EST

Wheatley wrote:

I would convince my past self not to go to that very expensive college. Getting a BFA and becoming a barista was NOT WORTH THE IRONY.

EDIT:

Me in real life only female and not a hipster.

You're a woman?
I thought you were a Artificial Intelligence with Troll horns.

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Fuck that. I'd kill him as a baby so his reign of terror never happened.

that would cause a time paradox.
if the time machine took you to an alternate universe, go ahead.

If I had a time machine, I would go back to the moments I really regret in backwards chronological order, have an epic death match with myself as punishment for regretable moment (I have many), then go back futher to the previous one, until I get to before I was born, find my previous incarnation, prevent my own death and give myself the time machine blueprints, thus negating the parodox and finally getting the happy ending I've always wanted.

i would go back 10000 years ago pretend to be a god and use my knowledge of basic scientific and engineering principles to raise my disciples ahead of the rest of the world technologically then rule the world as the god emperor of man kind.

404 user not found wrote:

i would go back 10000 years ago pretend to be a god and use my knowledge of basic scientific and engineering principles to raise my disciples ahead of the rest of the world technologically then rule the world as the god emperor of man kind.

As if you can build a computer in the stone ages.

well, there are some times/places i havent gone yet. BSoD's post about going back for the religeon thing is a great idea. 404, someone already tried that. He founded Egypt.

Everyone, I think you should know how paradoxes work whilst time traveling.

According to modern quantum physics, if something is changed in the past, a new universe springs up where that certain event did not happen. The change does not affect the future or present at all.

Example:

If someone went into the past and killed their own grandfather, a new universe would bud off of this one. The only difference between Universe 2 and Universe 1 (Our own) is that Universe 2 is a cosmos where the time traveler and his father were never born.

So, according to quantum physics, any attempts to change the past are futile.

BUT, that means you can visit past dates without changing the present.

I'd go aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllll the way back, 'til there was no 'past' to travel to, just to see if God was [i]really[i/] where He says He was at the time. I bet you He's just like Nicholas Sarkosy… taking credit for somebody else' achievements.

"Beginning of everything? Oh yeah, it was a blast. Hard work, though…" <.< >.>

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

I'd go back in time and tackle you dumbasses before you screw with the past.

But what if we were supposed to go back in time and screw up the past, and you screwed up the screwing up which nullifies it but then the world is all screwed up.

Kalmo wrote:

But what if we were supposed to go back in time and screw up the past, and you screwed up the screwing up which nullifies it but then the world is all screwed up.

If you were meant to go back in time and screw it up, that's the plan. And by that logic, I was meant to go back in time and screw up your screwing up. So if I didn't, I would be going against the plan, thus screwing time more than if I screwed your screw up.

Screw.

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

If you were meant to go back in time and screw it up, that's the plan. And by that logic, I was meant to go back in time and screw up your screwing up. So if I didn't, I would be going against the plan, thus screwing time more than if I screwed your screw up.

Screw.

But what if you weren't supposed to screw it up?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!