Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Share you mind-blowing Video Game facts or Easter Eggs here!

Last posted Mar 08, 2012 at 10:32PM EST. Added Mar 06, 2012 at 04:38PM EST
48 posts from 31 users

This involves the Statue of Happiness in GTA IV, which is exactly like the Statue of Liberty except with a disturbing, almost inhuman grin.

The statue is only reachable by helicopter, boat or swimming to the island, which seems like way too much effort to look at a monument that's clearly just background scenery for your killing spree. If you still decide to go and you manage to climb to the upper level of the statue's base, you'll see a door with a sign that reads "No Hidden Content This Way."

Walk through the door and climb the ladder, and eventually you'll see this:

A giant heart suspended by chains.

My mind has been blown multiple times now :OO

heres one you all probably know

^ ^ v v < > < > a b :)

and also, I heard about something where Ash, the protagonist in the series Pokemon is in a coma after being stuck by lightning (Little intro there for those who don't know of Pokemon or much of it) and ALL his adventures are taken place in his mind and in his head he imagines he is the master.

Table Flipper wrote:

My mind has been blown multiple times now :OO

heres one you all probably know

^ ^ v v < > < > a b :)

and also, I heard about something where Ash, the protagonist in the series Pokemon is in a coma after being stuck by lightning (Little intro there for those who don't know of Pokemon or much of it) and ALL his adventures are taken place in his mind and in his head he imagines he is the master.

These Pokémon mindfucks are pretty common actually.

Some people came up with really good ones. Varying between this dream, to a post-apocalyptic setting. Although there's also plenty of crappy ones.

In Link's Awakening, you can actually steal from the shop in Mabe Village if you manage to exit without the keeper seeing you. However, if you do it, your name will automatically be changed to THIEF and if you go back in the shop the keeper will kill you.

RandomMan wrote:

These Pokémon mindfucks are pretty common actually.

Some people came up with really good ones. Varying between this dream, to a post-apocalyptic setting. Although there's also plenty of crappy ones.

But…I like my mind un-fucked :c

gotta admit, this is pretty fucking awesome
songs in order:
1. Flute of the Growlin' Goblins – Ghosts 'n' Goblins Stage 1
2. The Fountain Guardian – Speed Rumbler Stage 1
3. Icicle of Prosperity – SonSon Stage 1
4. Relics of the Past – Bionic Commando Stage 1
5. Mad Science – Mega Man II Wily 1
6. Barbaros's Land – Zack & Wiki Main Theme

Last edited Mar 06, 2012 at 08:36PM EST

In Metal Gear Solid, inside Otacon's lab, there is a Mario and Yoshi statue. If you shoot them, the will make the 1-up sound effect and yoshi hatching sound, respectively.

Also, if you press buttons randomly in Samus's Spaceship in Metroid Prime 3, you can hear Miyamoto say hi.

In Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty;

• If you run to a bird shit,you will slip.
  • In the part where you have to protect Emma with Sniper Rifle,on the second Shell (IIRC) use your Directional Mic and you will hear a conversation between Emma and Johnny Sasaki.

In Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater;

• If you blew up the food storages with TNT,the guards in the area will rant about them being hungry. The same goes for weapon and ammo storages.
  • Every boss can be beaten by neutralizing them,using Mk22 or Mosin Nagant. You will get special camouflages (Mosin Nagant if you beat The End) if you do so.

Here are some Arkham City ones
In Jokers main room, on the floor next to the doll… thing, on the floor is a pregnacy… thingy that says positive.

In the credits, Harley can be heard singing a lullaby
"There, there.

Hush little baby, don't say a word, momma's gonna kill for you the whole damn world."

In one of the docks on a boat, use your cryptographic sequencer, a password will be requiered to open the hatch. icr what the password was lol. Under the hatch is a small base for Scarecrow.

Last edited Mar 07, 2012 at 05:02AM EST

Omomon wrote:

In Super Mario Sunshine
The hotel level where you faced that shadow Manta Ray was in the shape of a giant gamecube controller.

Anyone who played the game Earthbound knows the last boss Giygas.
(And Mother)

Even the boss itself is pretty fucking disturbing (I WENT TO THERAPY BECOUSE OF HIM)
The backstory is even more fuckin disturbing.You fight giygas in a area called:The Devils Machine.

As you see the scheme is wierd.It represents the scheme of a fucking vagina (STOP LAUGHING)."The theme that plays is disturbing":

he says the most fucked up things like "Ness…. It hurts…." "I feel g…o…o…d…".God its disturbing.But the most disturbing thing is.Giygas' scheme overall looks like a fetus.

The inspiration of Giygas is that the creator thought he witnessed a rape scene in a theater as a kid. After that traumatizing memory came Giygas.

Last edited Mar 07, 2012 at 06:18AM EST

The inspiration for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series comes from a film known as "Stalker" made in 1979, where two people follow an old man (known as the "stalker") through an anomaly-filled wasteland in order to get to the center where they believe their wish will be granted.

The movie even has a scene where the stalker throws bolts about to figure out where anomalies are, which is also a gameplay element in the series.

The movie was also made 7 years before the actual Chernobyl incident, which is why those that continue to live in Chernobyl are known as "stalkers" (IRL and in the game).

Muffins wrote:

The inspiration for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series comes from a film known as "Stalker" made in 1979, where two people follow an old man (known as the "stalker") through an anomaly-filled wasteland in order to get to the center where they believe their wish will be granted.

The movie even has a scene where the stalker throws bolts about to figure out where anomalies are, which is also a gameplay element in the series.

The movie was also made 7 years before the actual Chernobyl incident, which is why those that continue to live in Chernobyl are known as "stalkers" (IRL and in the game).

Actually, it goes deeper than that. The film is based on the book Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, which was written in 1971 (it's quite good, you should read it).

So S.T.A.L.K.E.R is based on a move that's based on a book, making it the Inception of video games.

Last edited Mar 07, 2012 at 04:06PM EST

In Riven, there are 5 easter eggs that can be activated if you click 5 "hotspots" in order and then view the certain ones by clicking 5 other "hotspots at any time"

1. In the temple, you can make Christmas lights appear.

2. In the lake area, there's an area where you can see wireframe design.

3. In the jungle on the catwalk, you can make all the desgin go away except for the catwalk.

4. In the survelance room, you can make the viewer show a old silly putty ad.

5. In the 233rd age, you can see Ghen sings an opera pieces.

NottaWotta wrote:

In Skyrim,
If you get to the very top of the Throat of the World.
You'll find an Enchanted pickaxe called the Notched Pickaxe.

possibly not a reference, but still cool.
why, you ask?
Notched Pickaxe:
Believed by some to be a reference to "Notch," the creator of Minecraft, as pickaxes are tools prominently featured in Minecraft. In addition, the Notched Pickaxe gives a bonus to Smithing, a skill similar to crafting items in Minecraft. This may not be the case, however, because Notch's company, Mojang AB, was sued by Zenimax, the Parent Company of Bethesda Softworks (developers of The Elder Scrolls) for attempting to trademark the word "Scrolls" as the title of Mojang's new game.
also:
The pickaxe may also be a reference to the English mountaineers Geroge Mallory and Andrew "Sandy" Irvine who disappeared while climbing Mount Everest in June 1924. Many search attempts were made to try and find Mallory and Irvine but were unsuccessful in doing so – the only discovery made for 75 years and several search attempts was a pickaxe a few hundred meters from the top, thought to belong to Irvine. Irvine marked his equipment, so the "Notched" prefix may refer to those markings.

In Super Mario Galaxy 2, if you turn the camera in the right direction…you can see shadows that look silhouettes standing on a cliff, just staring.

If that isn't strange enough, the file for that area in the sky is labeled "BeyondHellValley", when the level isn't even named Hell Valley or any levels in the game at all?
Sadly..the file turns out to be incorrect, it was actually a hoax. The valley was "HellValleyTree". So that was a tree, but what about Hell Valley?…

Now for the winner,

Drum Rolls

POLYBIUS!

According to speculation, Polybius was an arcade game that appeared in some arcades in Portland, Oregon. For a short while, the game was supposedly all black (except for the logo) and the game was supposed to be much like Atari's shoot 'em up game, Tempest, except for the addition of a pac-man type of maze and logic puzzles and the fact it drove people insane. Kids hooked on the game began to experience side effects of nausea, sleep disorders, and aversion to video games. Some sources claim the side effects were more violent: selective amnesia, horrifying nightmares, suicidal tendencies and "the inability to become sad."

Now, some unnamed arcade owner, reports of men in black coats who could be seen collecting data from the machines, leading some to speculate it has all been a CIA experiment.
The only evidence of this game ever existing is this screen cap of the title screen

and this black-and-white photo of the arcade machine

Of course, many have made their own Polybius arcade machines and their own recreations of the game based on descriptions

Here is a clip that looks like mind-rape had sex with seizures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGXEEa1c5I&feature=player_embedded

And the truth, you ask? Well, there was a known glitchy prototype of Tempest (the game Polybius was supposed to resemble) that caused nausea .

(P.s, TL;DR? Read it or im going to flip you upside the head…TEEHEE.)

-EDIT: I dun' goofed first type up of this, but I just fixed it, sorry!

Last edited Mar 07, 2012 at 05:37PM EST

Max Cobar™ wrote:

Anyone who played the game Earthbound knows the last boss Giygas.
(And Mother)

Even the boss itself is pretty fucking disturbing (I WENT TO THERAPY BECOUSE OF HIM)
The backstory is even more fuckin disturbing.You fight giygas in a area called:The Devils Machine.

As you see the scheme is wierd.It represents the scheme of a fucking vagina (STOP LAUGHING)."The theme that plays is disturbing":

he says the most fucked up things like "Ness…. It hurts…." "I feel g…o…o…d…".God its disturbing.But the most disturbing thing is.Giygas' scheme overall looks like a fetus.

The inspiration of Giygas is that the creator thought he witnessed a rape scene in a theater as a kid. After that traumatizing memory came Giygas.

I saw game play of a battle against Giygas, and now I can't stop hearing his music, AGH!!

I heard that EarthBound 2's boss was scarier than EB1's, but it wasn't released outside of Japan

Last edited Mar 07, 2012 at 05:47PM EST

Omomon wrote:

In Super Mario Sunshine
The hotel level where you faced that shadow Manta Ray was in the shape of a giant gamecube controller.

I've had that game since I was a kid, and I never saw that.

…and speaking of Super Mario Sunshine, has anyone seen that hidden book in Noki Bay?

Omomon wrote:

In Super Mario Sunshine

Holy crap man! I never saw that!

Here's a little easter egg I find interesting.

This is an item from Oblivion, Weatherward Circlet. Easter egg of, you guessed it!

The One Ring from LOTR. Mindblowing for me when I found out.

Cave Story.
Main character is named Quote.
Secondary Character is Curly Brace.
At one point, you have to carry Curly Brace on your back.

Now look at your keyboard. Where is the quote key and where is the curly brace key?

That's right. The quote key is below the curly brace. In other words, the quote key is carrying the curly brace on its back.

If you kill a wolf in MGS4 after defeating Crying Wolf and call Otcaon, he will grunt angrily and hang up on you. If you call the girl who can give you advice on lowering your stress, she would be on suspicion whether you are mentally unstable or not.
Also, if you jiggle the controller while talk to the same girl, her boobs will jiggle a bit. Not a very significant effect on that, but it does look like it.
Otacon will also automatically call you in the Crying Mantis stage if you redirect your controller to 2 or others, getting mad at how Old Snake won't change his ways.

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Max from "Sam and Max" was a recurring easter egg in early Lucasarts games.

He can be found as part of the map, as a pickup item, a character, a wall texture, and a hood ornament.

THIS. FUCKING. GAME. is probably the sole reason why i'm still on the internet. really, it made me love multiplayer games more than i did before (Quake) in my opinion one of the best games ever sheds a load of manly tears

Either way, nice findings! I didn't knew about the map one.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!