Forums / Just For Fun

327,257 total conversations in 8,665 threads

+ New Thread

Forum President Official Debate Thread

Last posted May 06, 2012 at 11:54PM EDT. Added Apr 24, 2012 at 07:31PM EDT
96 conversations with 36 participants

Well, seeing as Verbose totally took me to school, I have nothing more to say here.
My fellow candidates are just fine.
Sorry about this guys.
You can vote for me if you want. I guess.

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:59PM EDT

Well, again with the negstorm.

The OP needs to make a better system than karma-voting. And, if he has one, he needs to tell us what it is, so we stop getting raped by karma-trolls.

Apr 25, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT

Karma is not going to be a part of the voting system. It was pretty obvious from the start that this would be a negative karma shitstorm, though.

Apr 25, 2012 at 06:17PM EDT

That’s not voting.
That’s karma bombing.
Do you not feel trolled? It’s devastating, isn’t it?
I for one will wake up with cold sweats in the night for years.

Apr 25, 2012 at 06:29PM EDT

A vote for CitationNeeded is a vote for keeping bronies from taking over the forums, though not harassing them.
Vote for me.

Apr 25, 2012 at 06:32PM EDT

Ugh, we have to run against our own teammates? That makes no sense and will mess up the results since no one person will get a majority. It’ll be the 1824 US presidental election all over again.

How about this: we vote on a single party, and then which ever party gets the most votes is free to narrow it down to one person. Otherwise, there will be way too many candidates running for a single position.

To the karma bomber: you do realize the votes aren’t based on karma, right?

Last edited Apr 25, 2012 at 06:45PM EDT
Apr 25, 2012 at 06:44PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Ugh, we have to run against our own teammates? That makes no sense and will mess up the results since no one person will get a majority. It’ll be the 1824 US presidental election all over again.

How about this: we vote on a single party, and then which ever party gets the most votes is free to narrow it down to one person. Otherwise, there will be way too many candidates running for a single position.

To the karma bomber: you do realize the votes aren’t based on karma, right?

Vote for a single party? Aww hell no.

Run against your own teammates. Thats how elections are supposed to be, not like they are in Canada (vote for one person, one party). I always hated that.

Vote for the best candidate in a given party. Obviously run against your own teammates.

Apr 25, 2012 at 06:59PM EDT

PlanetTwo wrote:

Vote for a single party? Aww hell no.

Run against your own teammates. Thats how elections are supposed to be, not like they are in Canada (vote for one person, one party). I always hated that.

Vote for the best candidate in a given party. Obviously run against your own teammates.

That’s not how elections are supposed to be. Name one country where you run against your own candidates.

Parties are created as fronts for people with similar political ideas. Then, the party members nominate the person from their party who has the highest chances of winning. There would be no point in parties if everyone just ran for themselves.

Vote for the best candidate in a given party. But don’t run against your own party and ruin its chances of winning. Instead, pick one person to receive all of the votes, rather than having them split up and rendering all of the votes useless.

Here’s an example, the 1924 US presidential election. The Republicans were firmly split up between Taft and Roosevelt. This screwed over their chances of winning. If they all put their support to one candidate, they would have had a good 50.6% of the votes, but instead, the party division allowed Wilson to win with only 41.8%.

Last edited Apr 25, 2012 at 07:11PM EDT
Apr 25, 2012 at 07:06PM EDT

That’s not how elections are supposed to be. Name one country where you run against your own candidates.

Parties are created as fronts for people with similar political ideas. Then, the party members nominate the person from their party who has the highest chances of winning. There would be no point in parties if everyone just ran for themselves.

Vote for the best candidate in a given party. But don’t run against your own party and ruin its chances of winning. Instead, pick one person to receive all of the votes, rather than having them split up and rendering all of the votes useless.

Here’s an example, the 1924 US presidential election. The Republicans were firmly split up between Taft and Roosevelt. This screwed over their chances of winning. If they all put their support to one candidate, they would have had a good 50.6% of the votes, but instead, the party division allowed Wilson to win with only 41.8%.

Er… America.

You don’t seem to grasp that this is the primaries. It narrows it down to 1 candidate (possibly one vice?) per party. Then we have the elections for the presidency.
Still, nobody’s participating, except to say vote for me, I’m awesome.

Apr 25, 2012 at 07:09PM EDT

Twins brings up a valid point.

If the primaries allow opposing teams to select their competition’s candidate, wouldn’t they just vote for the candidate with the slimmest chance of success, to pretty much kill the party in the election? For example, you have a total retard running for the Western Federation Party (not Thomas, of course. I cannot stress that point enough). He gets ALL the votes in this phase, because he’s a god-awful candidate. Since he’s so terrible, he receives no votes in the actual election.

Apr 25, 2012 at 07:19PM EDT

One thread per major party, plus one or two for all lesser parties. That way, only those within a given party may vote for each other in the primary, without corrupting the results.

Sound good?

Apr 25, 2012 at 07:21PM EDT

Jeffrey Dahmer wrote:

What are we suppose to be debating again?

The effect of global climate change and drugs on today’s troubled teens.

Apr 25, 2012 at 08:21PM EDT

So if we let anyone vote for who would be a party’s representative, then people from other parties would vote for the worst candidate from opponent parties. And in all cases, the number of opposing parties would outweigh the members of each party, so you’d have an actual election of weak candidates.

Of course, karma is useless, because that has the same problems of leaving it to a vote. Not to mention karma is easily manipulated.

I suggest flaming sky gondolas. Yay or nay?

Apr 25, 2012 at 08:31PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

So if we let anyone vote for who would be a party’s representative, then people from other parties would vote for the worst candidate from opponent parties. And in all cases, the number of opposing parties would outweigh the members of each party, so you’d have an actual election of weak candidates.

Of course, karma is useless, because that has the same problems of leaving it to a vote. Not to mention karma is easily manipulated.

YAY.
LET’S FUCKING DO THIS SHIT.

Apr 25, 2012 at 08:51PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Verbose wrote:

What? No.

Apr 25, 2012 at 08:52PM EDT

Well, the interest in this thread has really waned.

We need some platforms on which we can base our opinions so voters can get a better idea of what each party represents.

Apr 26, 2012 at 06:26PM EDT

Well, the interest in this thread has really waned.

We need some platforms on which we can base our opinions so voters can get a better idea of what each party represents.

No opinions.

No voting.

Fox only.

Final Destination

Apr 26, 2012 at 06:49PM EDT

Here, how about we create unique polls for each party and everyone affiliates themselves publicly with a party and are then sent the unique polls privately? Or something. I dunno, seems like a good way to minimize “voter fraud” as it were.

Apr 26, 2012 at 07:08PM EDT

@StarGazer

Or just send TK our votes.

DURRR HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Apr 26, 2012 at 09:28PM EDT

aerolyt wrote:

Here, how about we create unique polls for each party and everyone affiliates themselves publicly with a party and are then sent the unique polls privately? Or something. I dunno, seems like a good way to minimize “voter fraud” as it were.

How about we all start posting in this thread instead of forcing me to have to bump it off the second page?

But yeah, that works.

Last edited Apr 27, 2012 at 06:14PM EDT
Apr 27, 2012 at 06:08PM EDT

How about we just say pants party wins because we all know that’s what’ll happen.

Apr 29, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

How about we just say pants party wins because we all know that’s what’ll happen.

Apr 29, 2012 at 04:53PM EDT

I am still a better candidate than Thomas Nair.

Apr 29, 2012 at 08:53PM EDT

While my time in prigione has been a short, yet a despiseful, I would gentilmente say that this discussion is going nowhere. We are more rats than those stupide Republicans. Think about this race as a capra. Who among you is your ass? Do not you dare vote for a prigioniero like me, or would you have done foolish to waste your opinion in a pile of stronzate.

Now, if you mind a fool to make a last stand, I need to work on this corda I’ve got from a cloak.

Apr 29, 2012 at 09:20PM EDT

Derpy, every candidate’s better than Nair.

Even though our party is based on jimmies, we apply the equivalent of our jimmy themed promises in general. In fact, I think that the jimmies theme is redundant. Our party may discuss that. But really, we’ll most likely do nothing.That is, if no power is given.

Just being honest here. Necessary request is necessary:

VOTE JIMMY PARTY 2012

Apr 30, 2012 at 02:21AM EDT

For a debate thread, there seems to be an incredible lack of debate.

To start: What are your thoughts on the quality of the threads within the forums?

May 01, 2012 at 01:17PM EDT

Muffins wrote:

For a debate thread, there seems to be an incredible lack of debate.

To start: What are your thoughts on the quality of the threads within the forums?

Mostly substandard.

I’d certainly do my best to clean things up around here.

May 01, 2012 at 01:21PM EDT

I speak as a candidate of the Brony party. I think that it’s safe to say that most people don’t like the karma bombs that get dropped so often. So why are they still on this site? It affects everyone. It can censor important points or even key topics in this thread’s debate. Also, I feel people would be more motivated for using the forums and posting pictures if this site added some manipulative motivational achievements. I’m a Gold Member right now. How am I so supposed to know what that is? There should be also an explanation for each title you can achieve on this site. Another thing that would help would be some more in depth customization options for memes and user profiles like being able to change the color of the background or making the background a nice picture from the internet. This site is always evolving and needs the right person to get things done but at the same time able to listen to other people’s ideas. A new era of Know Your Meme is coming into power and I’d prefer it to be one me and everyone else can enjoy. Brony 2012.

May 06, 2012 at 03:16PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Mostly substandard.

I’d certainly do my best to clean things up around here.

Clean… Clean things up?

You mean like how spotless you made this thread?

May 06, 2012 at 03:19PM EDT

Random 21 wrote:

Clean… Clean things up?

You mean like how spotless you made this thread?

If I had my way, large numbers of trolls would have their accounts deleted. IP bans would also be be deployed in large quantities.

Many threads would sadly be deleted. Mostly useless ones, but ones that devolve into flamewars or trolling, like the one you linked, would also be deleted.

Anyone caught trolling would be punished in accordance with the degree of the trolling activity which they engaged in. In the thread you linked, Mexican Robot would have been likely to see their account deleted.

May 06, 2012 at 04:14PM EDT

If I had my way, large numbers of trolls would have their accounts deleted. IP bans would also be be deployed in large quantities.

Many threads would sadly be deleted. Mostly useless ones, but ones that devolve into flamewars or trolling, like the one you linked, would also be deleted.

Anyone caught trolling would be punished in accordance with the degree of the trolling activity which they engaged in. In the thread you linked, Mexican Robot would have been likely to see their account deleted.

By many threads, you mean all mlp threads. By many users, you mean all bronies. And i’d just like to point out, YOU ruined that thread.

May 06, 2012 at 04:33PM EDT

Random 21 wrote:

By many threads, you mean all mlp threads. By many users, you mean all bronies. And i’d just like to point out, YOU ruined that thread.

I was just keeping the thread alive and posting honestly.

Where others took it was their business. I had no intention of derailing it into violence.

When Fedora took an action I didn’t agree with, I naturally posted in an honest if brutal manner in retaliation.

It was their fault, not mine. And I assure you that I would allow the mainline Pony General to remain, as well as all the bronies on the site, just so long as they restrict their activities to that one thread.

May 06, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT

I was just keeping the thread alive and posting honestly.

Where others took it was their business. I had no intention of derailing it into violence.

When Fedora took an action I didn’t agree with, I naturally posted in an honest if brutal manner in retaliation.

It was their fault, not mine. And I assure you that I would allow the mainline Pony General to remain, as well as all the bronies on the site, just so long as they restrict their activities to that one thread.

We have a Mass-Effect general, what if i told you to only post Mass-Effect related stuff there. People post ponies outside of the pony thread. That is just where we discuss them.

May 06, 2012 at 04:47PM EDT

Random 21 wrote:

We have a Mass-Effect general, what if i told you to only post Mass-Effect related stuff there. People post ponies outside of the pony thread. That is just where we discuss them.

I wouldn’t be against that.

What I don’t want to see is people whose only thoughts revolve around MLP.

May 06, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT

@Thomas:

I’m seriously thinking you’re trolling. Nobody can possibly be this dense.

There is no way in hell Mexican Robot should have had any actions put against him for his actions in that thread. If anybody deserved punishment, it was you. You derailed the thread, started a flame war, trolled people, and caused a shitstorm. You were worse than most trolls on this site. So, following your logic, you would be banned.

And, of course, you’re assuming the president has any power. And he doesn’t. It’s been said many times that this is for shits and giggles, and gives no power. So saying you’ll ban people and lock threads is only showing your lack of information, and your hypocrisy.

The thing I find most hilarious is the hypocrisy, actually. You spam Mass Effect and pony hate more than ponies are even mentioned. You bring the topic of ponies up more than anybody else in this forum. Worst of all, you talk shit about us doing stuff we don’t do, in order to try and rationalize your hate.

It doesn’t rustle my jimmies, because I’ve seen people worse than you, but it does make me feel bad for you. If you stopped being a dick to people who didn’t deserve it, you’d probably enjoy yourself a lot more. After all, you’re the only person who seems to have your thoughts solely revolving around MLP.

May 06, 2012 at 04:59PM EDT

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@Thomas:

I’m seriously thinking you’re trolling. Nobody can possibly be this dense.

There is no way in hell Mexican Robot should have had any actions put against him for his actions in that thread. If anybody deserved punishment, it was you. You derailed the thread, started a flame war, trolled people, and caused a shitstorm. You were worse than most trolls on this site. So, following your logic, you would be banned.

And, of course, you’re assuming the president has any power. And he doesn’t. It’s been said many times that this is for shits and giggles, and gives no power. So saying you’ll ban people and lock threads is only showing your lack of information, and your hypocrisy.

The thing I find most hilarious is the hypocrisy, actually. You spam Mass Effect and pony hate more than ponies are even mentioned. You bring the topic of ponies up more than anybody else in this forum. Worst of all, you talk shit about us doing stuff we don’t do, in order to try and rationalize your hate.

It doesn’t rustle my jimmies, because I’ve seen people worse than you, but it does make me feel bad for you. If you stopped being a dick to people who didn’t deserve it, you’d probably enjoy yourself a lot more. After all, you’re the only person who seems to have your thoughts solely revolving around MLP.

All I’m, saying is, if the President had any real power, that’s what I’d do.

And for the record, I don’t deliberately start shitstorms. Apparently my mere presence is flamebait of the highest degree.

May 06, 2012 at 05:23PM EDT

@Thomas

Hmm, I’d say your presence is trollbait.

RussianFedora is not a Brony to my knowledge but it looks like he had tons of fun using ponies to troll your butt off in that thread. Seal and Mexican jumped on the trolling bandwagon because you make it so easy. My advice: don’t use death threats. They make your jimmies sound rustled and give RF a boner

May 06, 2012 at 11:48PM EDT

lol this thread has descended into madness, just like real politics and I love it. Also, I almost forgot about this threads existence.

Norway 2012, we no longer stand for anything because I forgot.

May 06, 2012 at 11:54PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!