Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

9Gag

Last posted Jun 20, 2012 at 10:53PM EDT. Added Apr 28, 2012 at 06:25AM EDT
114 posts from 57 users

This is going to be a long rant. A long rant.

For the past four years, I've been trying to show the wonder of memes to my schoolmates. Slipping sheets of Rage Comics, telling them about it, links to Reddit, 4chan, Digg, etc etc. I have been tirelessly waging this crusade for fun and hilarity unceasingly for the past four fucking years.

Then I discovered Memebase. God, sweet Jesus. I showed Memebase to my influential friends. They took it, they spread it, we had our own following. We would use memes as a code, as a way of knowing that we weren't alone on an isolated complex of idiocy (my school is built in a mountain range. How fucking pimp is that).

I knew about Know Your Meme long before the Cheezburger network acquired it. I'd watch the videos, I'd learn the shit, I'd lurk. I'd link my pals to these pages, this very site, to cleanse them of their stupidity. I showed them to discard their convoluted view of the world and embrace memes. The internet no longer was a vast, boring farmland, no longer a crippled, foul world dominated my mafia crime rings. I gave my few friends new meaning to the internet, something worthwhile.

Then, August of last year.

I suddenly heard a familiar phrase repeated over and over again. I didn't notice it at first – I thought it was a Filipino slang term. Then, as I listened in to the whispers, I understood.

They said "derp"

I rejoiced. No longer was this school a breeding ground of DoTA fags and Counter-Strike obsessed morons (DoTA and CS are both good games – it's just that my schoolmates shun anybody who doesn't obsess over them.) I finally served my purpose.

Just as I was about to settle in to the remaining half of the school year, another word was repeated. Over and over again.

9gag

I didn't know what this was. From the moment it crept into my mind, I've hated it with a passion almost as great as my hatred for Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber. There was something about it that reminded me of poorly lit, decrepit dens of evil known as "Computer Shops" (or internet cafes) and the bug-eyed, drooling, cursing golems playing DoTA, unmoving except the twitchy, sudden motions of their hands. I set it aside.

Then, it happened.

Our school publication did an article on memes. I thought it was a good idea, until I opened it.

Dead and forced memes. Dead and forced memes fucking everywhere.

Mudkips. "If-You-Know-What-I-Mean" guy. "Rage Toons." Rage. Toons. ANGRY FACE.

This went on for two pages. I looked at the man responsible for this graphic and inhumane butchery of the internet. what I saw changed everything. those four characters. 9gag.

I lost my shit.

I rushed to the school library. I illegally booted up a computer and visited 9gag.

Reposts.

Forced memes.

Facebook comments.

Dear God, this is everything about the internet I hate.

What's worse, 9gag became a very visible body within the school. "9gaggers" started misusing memes. Rage when it wasn't necessary. Me Gusta incorrectly. Trollface written as two different words.

The few students who hadn't succumbed to the cancer actually banded together. We became a task force hell-bent on obliterating the presence of 9gag from the school. I'd successfully reintegrated my corrupted friends and opened the eyes to the evil 9gag is. Unfortunately, 9gag's hold on the Philippines is … disgusting, to say the least.

As we purged the school, nothing could be said of all the people exposed to 9gag all over the country. I'd see people giggling in internet cafes, pointing at failed memes, saying "Me Gusta" over and over. I'd see 9fags on DoTA, on CS, on TF2, on League of Legends. They were everywhere in the country. Like a shadow corporation, puppeteering countless dummy fronts to complete their slow takeover of the Philippines.

Sadly, it appears they are succeeding.

(Sorry for the long post. I just needed to release some pent-up rage – and what better place to do it than on the loving and caring community of Know Your Meme?)

I know that feel.

On my school we have the same problem only my best friend knows the truth about 9gag. While other classmates are laughing at repost and incorrect memes.

I keep telling them that most of the memes on 9gag are repost or incorrect and should look at memebase or sites like that. They looked at memebase and saw a meme that also was on 9gag, they thought they copied it from 9gag.

At that momentIi just walked away because they keep accusing memebase for stealing 9gag memes.

Stuff like this makes me thank full that I live in a redneck area where people are mostly only on Facebook and does not give a shit about anything much else, just go on FB for drama and more drama.

Only time I meet some one who knows the actual internet is when I tell them about it. That was only once, and I told that person about 4chan and the dangers of going there. That person was in my physical science class last semester.

But at least it turned him into a brony, ironicly.

I know….
I had this happen in my school too.
One Day i showed my friends Memebase and KYM.They Said it was Bullcrap that only fags like.
I didnt Mind it though,Everyone in my school is either a Retard or a Mentally Disoriented Idiot.
Counter Strike In our School is "Hip".Heh everyone is playing Either Counter Strike or League of Legends.
I showed my Friends Minecraft.They said it suck becouse of the Graphics.I was pissed.Then they started Using Minecraft as a word for "Shit" for example they would say "Wow that costume is Minecraft (Shit)".
People Started Using "Cool Words" or Memes.Instead of Troll Face they called it Ugly face.Instead of Me Gusta they called it The Stupid Face.I wasn't pissed till.
That day
When someone said 9gag in our school.
I said "Oh that shitty site that steals memes?"
One of them said "Fuck you,9gag is awesome,i mean they made awesome cool words,its hip dawg (I died),Your Know your Mimi (Yes He said Mimi) is bullshit,only fags go there."
Another One said "Yeah you Know Mimis suck,Just as Much as those idiots who watch My Little Pony (No offense to Bronys,but he said it).Know Mimies are faggs.If you Know what i mean."
I was pissed.
Soon people would Start Using 9gag "Memes".Posting Stupidly Titled Meme Pictures,Making shitty Advice spinoffs.

The Next day i Printed 100 Copys of "9gag sucks" posters whit my Friend (Hates 9gag as much as we do)People Started Complaining,some of them took it to the next level by trowing rocks at us.

I still stand tall whit my friend.

Max Cobar™ wrote:

I know….
I had this happen in my school too.
One Day i showed my friends Memebase and KYM.They Said it was Bullcrap that only fags like.
I didnt Mind it though,Everyone in my school is either a Retard or a Mentally Disoriented Idiot.
Counter Strike In our School is "Hip".Heh everyone is playing Either Counter Strike or League of Legends.
I showed my Friends Minecraft.They said it suck becouse of the Graphics.I was pissed.Then they started Using Minecraft as a word for "Shit" for example they would say "Wow that costume is Minecraft (Shit)".
People Started Using "Cool Words" or Memes.Instead of Troll Face they called it Ugly face.Instead of Me Gusta they called it The Stupid Face.I wasn't pissed till.
That day
When someone said 9gag in our school.
I said "Oh that shitty site that steals memes?"
One of them said "Fuck you,9gag is awesome,i mean they made awesome cool words,its hip dawg (I died),Your Know your Mimi (Yes He said Mimi) is bullshit,only fags go there."
Another One said "Yeah you Know Mimis suck,Just as Much as those idiots who watch My Little Pony (No offense to Bronys,but he said it).Know Mimies are faggs.If you Know what i mean."
I was pissed.
Soon people would Start Using 9gag "Memes".Posting Stupidly Titled Meme Pictures,Making shitty Advice spinoffs.

The Next day i Printed 100 Copys of "9gag sucks" posters whit my Friend (Hates 9gag as much as we do)People Started Complaining,some of them took it to the next level by trowing rocks at us.

I still stand tall whit my friend.

Under normal circumstances I might tell one to let it go but…. god that sounds awful. From the ponies comment to stupid face to mimi, it sounds like hell.

Oh look, more people complaining about 9gag <_<
it's not like I ever go there or anything, but in my opinion, complaining about forced and dead memes are more irritating than the forced/dead memes themselves.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Far as I'm concerned, MLP's still worse.

We still need to teach these motherfuckers a lesson, though.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Let's imagine the scenario if 9gaggers becomes bronies.

You know what? I don't even care about 9gag.
They can try to force their memes. If they succeed, they'll be popular amongst the 9gag fanbase; facebookers.
And they'll steal memes, but the only people dumb enough to believe that are their own fanbase, i.e. the ignorant facebookers who don't even venture past that site.
Essentially, they're only able to reach people who I don't particularly respect anyway. Getting pissed at them only allows them to intrude into the greater internet.

@Fei:
Welcome to hell, my friend. The same happened to my school and now there's a Student Group called Challenge Accepted that I don't even know what the fuck is it supposed to do, but the only thing I know is that they don't even have originality.

This is the true reason I hate 9GAG; it's not because of its population of retards that don't know how to use memes; it's not the fact they are always stealing original content created by 4chan, deviantart, Tumblr, ALL THE INTERNET; it's the fact that they have spoiled the fun I had with the Internet and saturated my social life with SHIT.

Now everyday I enter the KYM forums at school and a friend of mine passes by they always ask the same question:

"Hey, do you like 9GAG?"

Do you know how it feels to be the only person in my circle of friends that realizes that 9GAG is shit? At least some of you have a companion in this quest against the retard, but no, HECK I DON'T.

This is hell, people, HELL IN REAL LIFE. /rant

Last edited Apr 28, 2012 at 05:13PM EDT

Doesn't matter. 9Gag will shutdown eventually. All sites do. If not, then their databases and servers will be destroyed by time and development, unimportant in the vast sea of human growth and needs.

I think no one I know from my school probably never heard of 9gag. My friends usually go to Memebase, and when my class has to work on the school library, I see usually other people going to Keepbusy, but no mentions of 9gag. But I do see the occasional "Cool Story, Bro" shirt, and the "Me Gusta" rage face taped on someone's backpack.

I think Nobody in my school that I know about knows about Memes, except my friend that I talk to it about, but isn't interested.
I'm lucky.

Last edited Apr 28, 2012 at 08:51PM EDT

/b/ Started this…
WE CAN HELP FINISH IT!

www.change.org/petitions/entire-internet-take-down-the-website-9gag-for-mocking-a-girl-with-down-syndrome

Last edited Apr 28, 2012 at 10:07PM EDT

Chris wrote:

>mfw the only person I know who really knows about internet memes is a bro and doesn't spout off shitty memes.

I know that feel man.
Except the one I know also helped take down 4chan last april fools day.
I was there. Shit was awesome.

Luckily for me, no one knows about memes at my school. 9gag is no problem.

The only ones are me, relatives who go to the school and few of the higher grades.

*grabs phone*

"Yo /b/, 9fags are ruining schools this time. Tell Anon to DDoS 'em. Sounds like a plan? Thanks, bye."

But seriously, show the kids. Show 'em Reddit, Funnyjunk, 4chan, Tumblr, Memebase. Show them the true Internet.

Because this thread had anything to do with ponies before you mentioned it.

At this point, I wonder if you actually hate them, or you're just trolling by mentioning them far more than anyone else on the site outside of Pony General.

9gag is stupid, yes. Cool down on the rage though. Let them be misinformed idiots.

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Because this thread had anything to do with ponies before you mentioned it.

At this point, I wonder if you actually hate them, or you're just trolling by mentioning them far more than anyone else on the site outside of Pony General.

9gag is stupid, yes. Cool down on the rage though. Let them be misinformed idiots.

No, I'm just speaking my mind here.

I'll never truly change away from being the ultimate pony hater. Get used to it.

On-Topic: Yeah, I hope /b/ DDOSes them out of existence.

Actually, that mention of it was due to me saying I still don't like it f(see "that certain show" in my post? …yeah.) Though that mention was also tied with the reasons why I don't like it (you know how forced memes aren't funny? They force it into everything IMo, in a similar manner to forced memes.)

I'll never truly change away from being the ultimate pony hater. Get used to it.

That's not an excuse for anything. If all you think about every day is hating ponies, you seriously have some issues to work out. Spamming your hate for ponies everywhere is just as bad, if not worse, than plain spamming ponies everywhere. Same difference.

I'm sort of disappointed. Your posts in the debate thread were so promising.

@TARDISES:
Well, you did bring it up, but in context, which is why you didn't get bombarded with negs. I would disagree that it's forced, but that would be tangential to to the thread.

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 08:55PM EDT

detectiveStalemate wrote:

This is going to be a long rant. A long rant.

For the past four years, I've been trying to show the wonder of memes to my schoolmates. Slipping sheets of Rage Comics, telling them about it, links to Reddit, 4chan, Digg, etc etc. I have been tirelessly waging this crusade for fun and hilarity unceasingly for the past four fucking years.

Then I discovered Memebase. God, sweet Jesus. I showed Memebase to my influential friends. They took it, they spread it, we had our own following. We would use memes as a code, as a way of knowing that we weren't alone on an isolated complex of idiocy (my school is built in a mountain range. How fucking pimp is that).

I knew about Know Your Meme long before the Cheezburger network acquired it. I'd watch the videos, I'd learn the shit, I'd lurk. I'd link my pals to these pages, this very site, to cleanse them of their stupidity. I showed them to discard their convoluted view of the world and embrace memes. The internet no longer was a vast, boring farmland, no longer a crippled, foul world dominated my mafia crime rings. I gave my few friends new meaning to the internet, something worthwhile.

Then, August of last year.

I suddenly heard a familiar phrase repeated over and over again. I didn't notice it at first – I thought it was a Filipino slang term. Then, as I listened in to the whispers, I understood.

They said "derp"

I rejoiced. No longer was this school a breeding ground of DoTA fags and Counter-Strike obsessed morons (DoTA and CS are both good games – it's just that my schoolmates shun anybody who doesn't obsess over them.) I finally served my purpose.

Just as I was about to settle in to the remaining half of the school year, another word was repeated. Over and over again.

9gag

I didn't know what this was. From the moment it crept into my mind, I've hated it with a passion almost as great as my hatred for Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber. There was something about it that reminded me of poorly lit, decrepit dens of evil known as "Computer Shops" (or internet cafes) and the bug-eyed, drooling, cursing golems playing DoTA, unmoving except the twitchy, sudden motions of their hands. I set it aside.

Then, it happened.

Our school publication did an article on memes. I thought it was a good idea, until I opened it.

Dead and forced memes. Dead and forced memes fucking everywhere.

Mudkips. "If-You-Know-What-I-Mean" guy. "Rage Toons." Rage. Toons. ANGRY FACE.

This went on for two pages. I looked at the man responsible for this graphic and inhumane butchery of the internet. what I saw changed everything. those four characters. 9gag.

I lost my shit.

I rushed to the school library. I illegally booted up a computer and visited 9gag.

Reposts.

Forced memes.

Facebook comments.

Dear God, this is everything about the internet I hate.

What's worse, 9gag became a very visible body within the school. "9gaggers" started misusing memes. Rage when it wasn't necessary. Me Gusta incorrectly. Trollface written as two different words.

The few students who hadn't succumbed to the cancer actually banded together. We became a task force hell-bent on obliterating the presence of 9gag from the school. I'd successfully reintegrated my corrupted friends and opened the eyes to the evil 9gag is. Unfortunately, 9gag's hold on the Philippines is … disgusting, to say the least.

As we purged the school, nothing could be said of all the people exposed to 9gag all over the country. I'd see people giggling in internet cafes, pointing at failed memes, saying "Me Gusta" over and over. I'd see 9fags on DoTA, on CS, on TF2, on League of Legends. They were everywhere in the country. Like a shadow corporation, puppeteering countless dummy fronts to complete their slow takeover of the Philippines.

Sadly, it appears they are succeeding.

(Sorry for the long post. I just needed to release some pent-up rage – and what better place to do it than on the loving and caring community of Know Your Meme?)

My memory may be failing me, but didn't people in your school also have a dance fight over whether or not MLP was gay? To the music of West Side Story?

Well see…here's the thing, no one asked for your opinion on mlp or anything else really. The topic at hand is 9gag, but as always, you had to bring up one of the many many things you hate for some reason. If you dont want so much nega karma, stop doing that.

@ the topic
That last half sounded like some kind of zombie outbreak.

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 09:05PM EDT

9gag is is just a site where internet n00bs and kids (like Jolly Jew) hang out. Its the graveyard of funny memes. They think that they are the most awesome people in the internet. If the DDoS was successful, then the internet would target other hated "internet" sites, like Reddit.

@Max_Cobar
That's too much butthurt to handle. Tell me where your school is so I could beat them up.

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 11:37PM EDT

Fortunately, the dozen friends of mine that like the Internet go on Memebase and most haven't heard of 9gag. Hell, half of them are bronies.

My brother and one friend are the only people I know that frequent the internet.

My brother isn't retarded, and my friend sticks to Memebase exclusively. My friend and I aren't the kind of people to start spreading the memes around like wildfire, and my brother is out of college.

So, I'm safe from any shitstorms you guys might get.

SUX2BEU!

9fag in a nutshell

Nothing funny.Just a site infested by forced meme and penis joke.Shit-Tier of the internet itself.Where the funny stuff goes to die.Similar to Family Guy but with more le le le.

Last edited Apr 30, 2012 at 12:21AM EDT

You guys are lucky that the guys at your schools or colleges or whatever even know about meme's a little bit, none of people at my school except for this chick called "rose" And her friend "gabe" do and when i try to tell others about it they just laugh at me and call me an idiot.

But i feel that if they even had a slight interest in meme's and looked into them they'd just become 9gaggers. Evil corrupted 9gaggers that would abuse the shit out of meme's, hell i'm even starting to see the corruption in my school with some kids running around say "U mad bro" With this idiotic smile. Other times they would say other things like "me gusta" for no reason and saying things like "le trollface", words could not descrbe how many times i fucking facepalmed. I would continue to ask them where they heard of this and they would reply, "I got it from 9gag". and that would be the very part where i snap.

The morons at my school would just abuse meme, not understanding what they really mean, saying them just to say it like the sheep they are.

I just hope that they all forget about 9gag one day and realize the true meme sites like KYM.

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

That's not an excuse for anything. If all you think about every day is hating ponies, you seriously have some issues to work out. Spamming your hate for ponies everywhere is just as bad, if not worse, than plain spamming ponies everywhere. Same difference.

I'm sort of disappointed. Your posts in the debate thread were so promising.

@TARDISES:
Well, you did bring it up, but in context, which is why you didn't get bombarded with negs. I would disagree that it's forced, but that would be tangential to to the thread.

I told you then and there that I had never truly changed. I doubt I ever will.

I was just putting aside my pony hate there in the name of the greater good.

I know you understand.

Epicus The Warrior wrote:

9fag in a nutshell

Nothing funny.Just a site infested by forced meme and penis joke.Shit-Tier of the internet itself.Where the funny stuff goes to die.Similar to Family Guy but with more le le le.

Reddit isn't as shitty as 9gag.

Herobrine wrote:

Reddit isn't as shitty as 9gag.

I never said it was.Personallly I never went to Reddit so, I can't really tell if the site is good or not.This was only posted to show how 9fag force meme and ruin everything funny on the internet.

I didn't find a better pic.
Sorry.

I told you then and there that I had never truly changed. I doubt I ever will.

I was just putting aside my pony hate there in the name of the greater good.

I know you understand.

We understand Thomas, but you can't blame them for getting a bit annoyed. If you were able to put aside your pony hate in the discussion thread, you should be able to do it elsewhere on the forum as well. Constantly taking every small opportunity to talk bad about ponies annoys people, even those who dislike the show as well.

Having an opinion about something is good, but don't constantly force it on others.

I hope you understand.

As for the real topic:

I have no real problem with 9gag. I'm not a great fan of watermarks like most people here, but I'm able to look around it. It's not like they're the only site in excistence that uses watermarks, Cheezburger (which KYM is part of) uses them as well. Their "stealing" is just ignorance of the visitors.

I know the site can annoy people. But if a single website that's just a dime a douzen rustles you that much, I don't know how you can do your daily chores without going beserk.

Last edited Apr 30, 2012 at 03:52PM EDT

But what if our daily chores are spammed the fuck up to eleven with 9GAG chitchat and people sharing their dead memes between each other?

I can't really stand being surrounded at my high school by lots and lots of people (that I actually respect and tolerate because they're my friends and colleagues, mind you) that, even after explaining them the evil that 9GAG is, still lurk this damned website "Just for fun".

As I stated before, the website sucks and deserves its hatedom, but I really hate it because it's constantly ruining my daily life.

Last edited Apr 30, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!