Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

So I played Touhou...

Last posted May 22, 2012 at 01:51PM EDT. Added May 21, 2012 at 12:42AM EDT
38 posts from 17 users

The first one to be exact, "Highly Responsive to Prayers."

I started off in this room, with a bunch of stuff. It didn't go into much description into where I was or what to do.

After about 3 minutes of smashing my keyboard, I found out how to move, slash a sword or something, and throw a card that did absolutely nothing. And this ball started moving. I thought "Oh hey, cool, I must have to hit the ball with my sword thing, and hit the panel things with the ball, and I did, until the ball hit me.

So I thought "Oh, I better watch out for that ball." But I soon realized that was impossible when it happened again…

again…

and again…

After that, I finally gotten the hang of hitting it, but it always flew into this dumb portal thing. I spent forever trying to get it to hit the panels.

But just when I thought I gotten the hang of it…

I got hit, again.

After all of that, I did the only sensible thing.

Play a better game.

I reaaaaaaaaly want to hit OP with a paper fan right now…

Come back once you played Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil, Perfect Cherry Blossom, Imperishable Night, or Unidentified Fantastic Object.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Come back once you played Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil, Perfect Cherry Blossom, Imperishable Night, or Unidentified Fantastic Object.

"Unidentified Fantastic Object"?

Actually, it's Undefined Fantastic Object.

I played Embodiment of the Scartel Devil, The music is awesome but I only got far as Stage 4 on Normal.

Hong Meiling (Stage 3 Boss) is so freakin difficult to beat, Last time I Beat her I had only 1-2 Lives/Bombs Left, I probably had an Adrenaline rush too, I'm not even sure if I made it to the mid boss before I wasted my Last Lives/Bombs, Either way I was Screwed.

I didn't bother to play the other ones mainly because didn't beat Scartel Devil, But it just seems very improbable, or in internet terms…

Last edited May 21, 2012 at 02:36AM EDT

NottaWotta wrote:

I played Embodiment of the Scartel Devil, The music is awesome but I only got far as Stage 4 on Normal.

Hong Meiling (Stage 3 Boss) is so freakin difficult to beat, Last time I Beat her I had only 1-2 Lives/Bombs Left, I probably had an Adrenaline rush too, I'm not even sure if I made it to the mid boss before I wasted my Last Lives/Bombs, Either way I was Screwed.

I didn't bother to play the other ones mainly because didn't beat Scartel Devil, But it just seems very improbable, or in internet terms…

I tried it on Normal. Got up to level 5 due to Patchouli fucking Knowledge.

Fuck her earth spells. They wasted my bombs and left me vulnerable to Time Queen.

Last edited May 21, 2012 at 02:34AM EDT

…I thought I'd managed to forget about Highly Responsive to Prayer's eye-raping graphics.
Curse you, OP.
However, as everyone already said, play the later games. They're the good ones.
Imperishable Night is probably the best (In my opinion anyway), even if how to access it's various final bosses is a riddle in itself.

I mostly start of on easy to get a hang of the levels. That way I know what to expect and what bosses I face when and where. When that's done I switch to normal.

So far I was only able to complete Touhou 8 without the use of a continue. Other Touhou games were either unsuccessful or I had to use continues. Which is another reason why I recommend Touhou 8 to start with.

So this is Touhou? No offense to Natsuru (who is probably already plenty offended from Lopunny correcting/attemtpting to correct him,) but I'm still more intrigued in playing other games. However, I still want to watch a playthrough to get exactly what is Touhou…because I'm still not sure.

Verbose wrote:

So this is Touhou? No offense to Natsuru (who is probably already plenty offended from Lopunny correcting/attemtpting to correct him,) but I'm still more intrigued in playing other games. However, I still want to watch a playthrough to get exactly what is Touhou…because I'm still not sure.

This is from Touhou 7, a whole different game than Katia posted as you can see.

Not my favorite character to use, but it'll do. It's on normal mode, but that should be obvious.

Last edited May 21, 2012 at 10:59AM EDT

Myndnix wrote:

Playing on easy for practice doesn't work when the final stage(s), or final boss(es) can't be fought on that difficulty. >:

I think it helps you adjust to the game if you've never played it before, and I think Katia is in that boat. If you've never done something before and you decide to do it on a higher difficulty to begin, then it may become more frustrating than what it's worth.

Definitely recommend Imperishable Night as the game to introduce others to Touhou with. It's probably the easiest and in my personal opinion the most fun game in the series, and if I recall it's also the only one which you can actually finish on easy mode?

It also has my fav characters and music and all that but THATS ALL PERSONAL OPINION YEAH

Also OP is either joking or an idiot, and I sadly am unable anymore to tell the difference.

Verbose wrote:

I think it helps you adjust to the game if you've never played it before, and I think Katia is in that boat. If you've never done something before and you decide to do it on a higher difficulty to begin, then it may become more frustrating than what it's worth.

Well, yeah, but I've been playing Touhou for a couple of years now, and I never get any better. I'll keep practicing, worry not.

RandomMan wrote:

This is from Touhou 7, a whole different game than Katia posted as you can see.

Not my favorite character to use, but it'll do. It's on normal mode, but that should be obvious.

>MFW the first couple seconds look like a glorified version of Galiga

angstyHoodie wrote:

Before I get flammed or hated anymore, I was joking, I played it more than once, and after I could actually get the ball to stop hitting me, it became a pretty OK game.

Do-not-know-if-facepalm.jpg

The replies are saying you played the wrong Touhou. The games didn't got notable until Touhou 6. The Touhou you played had completely different gameplay and can't really be compared to the other Touhou's.

Last edited May 21, 2012 at 05:15PM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

Sure, I was dead tired and not thinking straight (So I apologize if I was a bit rude), but the fact she jumped into the games without looking at any of the game footage warranted a Baka-fan Smack.

Sure, I was dead tired and not thinking straight (So I apologize if I was a bit rude), but the fact she jumped into the games without looking at any of the game footage warranted a Baka-fan Smack.

Again, I actually PLAYED it, and some more after that, and its a pretty good game.

At first, I didn't knew what was Touhou. I wondered,"It's probably some anime." The I came here and it's actually a game. Tell Me KYM Users, What is it like? What's the gameplay. Give me recommendations!

Greninja wrote:

At first, I didn't knew what was Touhou. I wondered,"It's probably some anime." The I came here and it's actually a game. Tell Me KYM Users, What is it like? What's the gameplay. Give me recommendations!

For the most part, they're incredibly busy 2D scrolling shoot 'em up games.
Often called bullet hell or curtain fire due to the sheer amount of enemy fire that's onscreen at any given time. Usually it's memorisation that gets you through the hardest parts of each game.
Other than that, they're just very colourful and have great music. They're usually as fun to watch as they are to play.

Edit of DOOM:
It's also quite a long series, with around thirteen games and six or seven side games. Generally it's reccommended that new players start with the sixth game, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

Last edited May 22, 2012 at 01:18PM EDT

you've*

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!