Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

308,596 total conversations in 8,640 threads

+ New Thread


Any tips and tidbits on making a Fighting Game?

Last posted Aug 18, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT. Added Jul 27, 2012 at 11:58AM EDT
103 posts from 22 users

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

One character in the game must possess a massively powerful punch attack.

Preferably on fire.

Sorta like Kens firey uppercut thing. I can never pronouce it or type it.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:32AM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

Sorta like Kens firey uppercut thing. I can never pronouce it or type it.

No, just a straight punch with ludicrous power and knockback.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:33AM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

No, just a straight punch with ludicrous power and knockback.

Oh. Should it do burn damage after it hits you?

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:39AM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

Oh. Should it do burn damage after it hits you?

Maybe.

@ TARDISES: Yes, it is a meme. I see no reason why it shouldn’t be present in more fighting games, though.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:45AM EDT

After look through my roster and seeing what kind of attacks they can do, I think on only one of them can be able to do a flaming punch. (or in this character’s case, a flaming palm)

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 11:26AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:26AM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

After look through my roster and seeing what kind of attacks they can do, I think on only one of them can be able to do a flaming punch. (or in this character’s case, a flaming palm)

Wait, what do you mean “palm?” Does anyone here know any palm-based characters?

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:56PM EDT
Quote

Homestar needs telekinesis. That, or make him fight like the straightjacket guy from Thrill Kill.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:50PM EDT
Quote

DarkErmac wrote:

Homestar needs telekinesis. That, or make him fight like the straightjacket guy from Thrill Kill.

You know, they never really explained how he (or Marzipan, Homsar and the King of Town for that matter) carry things around without arms.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:54PM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

I’m pretty sure people remember this guy, right?

Aw man, it been so long…

So this is a fighting game? I think someone like Homestar would have a moveset similar to Chun-Li’s, but wackier.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:49AM EDT
Quote

GIANTDAD wrote:

Sorta like Kens firey uppercut thing. I can never pronouce it or type it.

Shoryuken
In english
Rising dragon punch.
A lot of people in the FGC call it the
DP

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:41AM EDT
Quote

Also I shall clear up how to say Ken, and Ryu’s hurricane kick….
Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:18AM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

Miku will be a tough character to create moves for…

Just hold on a minute, how can someone like Miku even fight?

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:19AM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

Unlike Miku, making a moveset for Madotsuki is going to be hard because there’s so many options to choose from!

I know she could use her knife and bike. How about using the effects from the game as attacks as well.

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:11PM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

I’m pretty sure people remember this guy, right?

Wouldn’t Homestar fight just like Elena from Street Fighter?

She use a fighting style called capoeira, a fighting style which almost entirely uses the legs for attacks.

This totally isn’t weird for me to say this or anything.

Last edited Aug 02, 2012 at 03:20PM EDT
Aug 02, 2012 at 03:19PM EDT
Quote

Rin Tezuka wrote:

Wouldn’t Homestar fight just like Elena from Street Fighter?

She use a fighting style called capoeira, a fighting style which almost entirely uses the legs for attacks.

This totally isn’t weird for me to say this or anything.

That actually makes some sense. Capoeira with a touch of crazy, a good fighting style for Homestar indeed.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:40PM EDT
Quote

Leonard Arch wrote:

I think this video might help you with Miku.

Funny you mention that video, because besides Miku, 3 (or technically 5) characters from it are actually in my Roster. If you want to know who they are, I’ll give you three words for each unknown character…

Warrior
Lover
Hunger

Heh, I feel like Paul Gale with these hints.

Last edited Aug 03, 2012 at 11:09AM EDT
Aug 03, 2012 at 11:08AM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

Funny you mention that video, because besides Miku, 3 (or technically 5) characters from it are actually in my Roster. If you want to know who they are, I’ll give you three words for each unknown character…

Warrior
Lover
Hunger

Heh, I feel like Paul Gale with these hints.

Come on! There’s lots of people in that video that can count as warriors. The Lover one could be that yaranaika guy. I try to figure it out some how…

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:56PM EDT
Quote

And I have now released the teaser trailer:

What you see blurred in the background are going to be a few of the stages, and also look out for a couple of more hints in the video as well!

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:02PM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

And I have now released the teaser trailer:

What you see blurred in the background are going to be a few of the stages, and also look out for a couple of more hints in the video as well!

I’m impressed. I really want to see what you have in store for the following… however long you’re going to work on this game. Just don’t work to the point of exhaustion, take small breaks in between each interval of work. Also, is there other people working on this project other than you?

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:15PM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

And I have now released the teaser trailer:

What you see blurred in the background are going to be a few of the stages, and also look out for a couple of more hints in the video as well!

DAYMN SON!! I can’t for this to come.

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:17AM EDT
Quote

Concise wrote:

I’m impressed. I really want to see what you have in store for the following… however long you’re going to work on this game. Just don’t work to the point of exhaustion, take small breaks in between each interval of work. Also, is there other people working on this project other than you?

Nope, I’m the only one working on this thing. No need to worry about exhaustion though, I do take breaks here and there. If I keep working at this pace a demo/beta of the game would like come in about two to three months.

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:48AM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

Nope, I’m the only one working on this thing. No need to worry about exhaustion though, I do take breaks here and there. If I keep working at this pace a demo/beta of the game would like come in about two to three months.

That’s good, just pace yourself on this project of yours’. Besides that, keep up the good work.

Aug 04, 2012 at 04:58PM EDT
Quote

I feel like the Final Boss should be a Rage Comic guy.
He’d be really buff and super-powered, but his head would be a different rage face for each of the different moods he has.

So when he attacks he’d have Trollface, when he gets hit with a combo he has the RAISINS face, when he blocks your attack he has the Yao Ming face, etc, etc.

Just an idea I had that seemed funny.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:52PM EDT
Quote

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

I feel like the Final Boss should be a Rage Comic guy.
He’d be really buff and super-powered, but his head would be a different rage face for each of the different moods he has.

So when he attacks he’d have Trollface, when he gets hit with a combo he has the RAISINS face, when he blocks your attack he has the Yao Ming face, etc, etc.

Just an idea I had that seemed funny.

Heh, he’s not a boss, but you are quite warm at the moment.

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:27PM EDT
Quote

I’m curious, is slenderman gonna be a fighter? It just seems fitting.

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:34PM EDT
Quote

Megalolzors wrote:

I’m curious, is slenderman gonna be a fighter? It just seems fitting.

I’ll be quoting Sony for this: “No comment.” You can take a second look at the trailer for a hint though.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:16AM EDT
Quote

What you need to make the perfect fighting game:

1. If you wish to create the perfect game then you’ll have to first abandon all of your family to have the maximum amount of free time. You can’t even contact them or you’ll be wasting precious programming time.

2. If you want this to be the perfect fighting game then you’ll have to become ruler of a super rich country of people who don’t ask questions about what the government does. Then tax the crap out of them so you can fuel your game. P.S. It’s too late to hit up China.

3. Before you tax the country to ruin though, you must make a call to arms and motivate everyone to help you make space age weaponry that can snipe anyone at any time. This way you can hold the entire world hostage to make your meaningful game which will totally make all this senseless slaughter worth it in the end.

4. Once you have gained to a super rich country to tax to hell, then you must make it mandatory for them all to start learning fighting game related skills. You already taxed the country to kingdom come. There’s nothing left to lose.

5. Gather together the few people who rebelled against your order who also happen to be super genius bioengineers who have figured out a way to harness to power of the jellyfish and make people immortal. This way you can eternally look over your game’s creation and your slaves citizens won’t keep breaking-down on you because they’ll be your immortal slaves.

6. Find the world’s best warriors and have them fight to the death for your own sick inspirational entertainment. This way you’ll have the inspiration required to oversee how your misused slaves program the control scheme of the game.

7. Develop a time machine using your genius engineers who took to being complete idiots and rebelled against your supreme authority and learned engineering instead of fighting game skills. Then have them kidnap all the greatest artists from history so each one can be forced to make each piece of game box-art by hand. Now all of you miserable lucky slaves will have a unique piece of box-art for themselves. Research says that by doing this you’ll destroy all other timelines with the artists involved except for yours. That means an infinite number of souls will be sacrificed for the greater good of your perfect game.

8. You need to have every character ever to appear in the game. You can’t leave a single one out or it won’t be good enough for the public. WE WANT ALL OF THEM!! You’re also going to want your game to be as immersive as possible. So to kill 2 slaves with one stone you’re going to have you most talented programmers/engineers/bioengineers implant electronic muscles into all of the people in the world you have ruthlessly amazingly conquered. These muscles will not only involve the persons’ entire body but also duplicate there specific character into the game a a playable option. The rest of the characters that are’t real you can just force your labor force to make for a few decades. You’re immortal so time doesn’t really concern you at this point.

9. After a few more centuries of programming, engineering, forcing everyone to learn to be the greatest fighters ever and lots and lots and lots and lots of ruthless slaughter, your game will finally be finished. So it stays perfect, the game will always be different when fighting a new match. You’ll also have to make it so people actually die so there’s actually a bit of emotion and a sense of danger in the game. And so you don’t run out of players, you can harness the power of overworked, dieing bioengineers and make it so people come back to life after each battle they lose. This way they’ll feel the pain of death over and over until they win a match. Thus making them more experienced and adding to the immersiveness of the gameplay.

10. …Profit?

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:43AM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

I’ll be quoting Sony for this: “No comment.” You can take a second look at the trailer for a hint though.

I looked at you’re video and noticed a few things pass by as it messes up at the end. I was able to take some screens of the split-second shots.

Would you mind explaining what these are?

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:18PM EDT
Quote

The top symbol is the operator symbol, which is slenderman’s.
I KNEW IT!

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:22PM EDT
Quote

Concise wrote:

I looked at you’re video and noticed a few things pass by as it messes up at the end. I was able to take some screens of the split-second shots.

Would you mind explaining what these are?

Heh, I knew someone would find these. Those shots ya have there are hints to the roster. It may seem weird, but I put those in the trailer so that someone could actually find them and figure the hints out. Unfortunately, youtube tends to compress videos, so the hints look like a bunch of scribbles.

Good news for you guys though, is that I have high quality versions of the hints as well. All you guys have to do is figure out the riddles and whatnot. Some are easy, but others are going to be hard.:

Have fun…

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:00PM EDT
Quote

I could see salad fingers, alien hominid, skin taker, pico, slenderman, this man (Is it the “Have you seen this man in your dreams” guy?), john egbert, and skin taker.

In bosses, I saw nyan cat, dolan, internet coke machine (?), and bunchie.

Of course, I didn’t solve the riddles for those ones, I just tried reading the blurred names.

But that’s a pretty large roster of characters to choose from, will you be unlocking them or are they all available at the beginning?

Last edited Aug 05, 2012 at 01:31PM EDT
Aug 05, 2012 at 01:14PM EDT
Quote

Megalolzors wrote:

I could see salad fingers, alien hominid, skin taker, pico, slenderman, this man (Is it the “Have you seen this man in your dreams” guy?), john egbert, and skin taker.

In bosses, I saw nyan cat, dolan, internet coke machine (?), and bunchie.

Of course, I didn’t solve the riddles for those ones, I just tried reading the blurred names.

But that’s a pretty large roster of characters to choose from, will you be unlocking them or are they all available at the beginning?

I won’t confirm that those characters are in, but I will say that all characters will be available from the start. Just keep on figuring out the hints, you’re getting warmer.

Last edited Aug 05, 2012 at 02:18PM EDT
Aug 05, 2012 at 02:16PM EDT
Quote

@Hints: On the character list, I can make out Dirk Strider, Strong Bad, Pico, Kung Fu Man, This Man, the Cheetahmen and Pumkin (?). On the Bosses, I think I spotted Nyan Cat, Internet Coke Machine, Ao Oni, Dolan, Trogdor and Zalgo being the most obvious one.

Nice assemble you have in the roster.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:22AM EDT
Quote

I’m just putting this out there, but John Egbert and Katia Managan would be pretty fucking awesome characters.

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:31AM EDT
Quote

I don’t have the best eyes, but I see Strong Bad, Bubs, Monoko, Slenderman, Happy Appy, and last one I can only make out the last name, Abe. I guess I was correct about the yaranaika guy being included in the game.

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:37PM EDT
Quote

What you see here are the 10 bosses that are going to be in Web at War. Yes, it looks like there’s only 9 silhouettes, but they aren’t silhouettes at all. That’s actually 9 of the game’s bosses being engulfed and possessed by the 10th boss. So even if the boss was originally good or harmless, they aren’t now…

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:25PM EDT
Quote

I also had a concept going for the bosses. If ya guys played Marvel vs Capcom (the first one) then you remember Onslaught. How he’s huge but normal sized for the first round but becomes ginormous around the second round? I’m going to try a similar concept.

I was thinking that in the first round that you have to fight the boss (whom ever it may be) as they originally are. Once defeating the the first time, Big Ol’ Zally comes in and possesses the boss as they transform into a more powerful, bloodshot shadow of their former selves.

As for Zal himself, once you defeat him (as an huge glob of black goop) he transforms into his true form (The whole screen becomes black as blood drips from the ceiling) for the second round.

If you lose against any of the bosses, a cutscene runs, showing the boss (whom ever it may be) destroying stuff from cities to whole worlds. It just depends on who you’re fighting at the time.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:18AM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

I also had a concept going for the bosses. If ya guys played Marvel vs Capcom (the first one) then you remember Onslaught. How he’s huge but normal sized for the first round but becomes ginormous around the second round? I’m going to try a similar concept.

I was thinking that in the first round that you have to fight the boss (whom ever it may be) as they originally are. Once defeating the the first time, Big Ol’ Zally comes in and possesses the boss as they transform into a more powerful, bloodshot shadow of their former selves.

As for Zal himself, once you defeat him (as an huge glob of black goop) he transforms into his true form (The whole screen becomes black as blood drips from the ceiling) for the second round.

If you lose against any of the bosses, a cutscene runs, showing the boss (whom ever it may be) destroying stuff from cities to whole worlds. It just depends on who you’re fighting at the time.

That sounds creepy… I like it.

The real question is Is it possible?

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:34PM EDT
Quote

Leonard Arch wrote:

That sounds creepy… I like it.

The real question is Is it possible?

I’m pretty sure it is. I know Onslaught is in the mugen database, so I’m sure I could use the concept to make these bosses.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
Quote

It’s been a while, so I thought I’d show you guys the first few stages of Web at War.

Karkat’s Neighborhood

Strong Badia

Miku’s Diva Room

The Nexus

And that’s only 1/5 of the full arena roster!

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:04PM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

It’s been a while, so I thought I’d show you guys the first few stages of Web at War.

Karkat’s Neighborhood

Strong Badia

Miku’s Diva Room

The Nexus

And that’s only 1/5 of the full arena roster!

The stuff for this game is looking better each update. Now, if I remember correctly, you confirmed there was going to be 20 stages, right?

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:37PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!