Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

ITT: Common Video Game Misconceptions

Last posted Sep 18, 2012 at 09:51PM EDT. Added Aug 11, 2012 at 11:52PM EDT
42 posts from 31 users

so. yeah.
In Twisted Metal, the driver of the ice cream truck "Sweet Tooth" is not named Sweet Tooth. his name is Needles Kane.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CHILDHOOD RAPING. DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO LOOK AT POKEMON THE SAME AFTER READING THIS.

In the games, not anime, Mew literally gave birth to Mewtwo. The Japanese text uses a word that cannot be interpreted metaphorically. It's most accurate translation is "Mew birthed a child", using the word "birth" as a physical action verb. This also means there were no eggs involved, as the word used was definitely "child", not "egg", and they didn't retcon it in FireRed and LeafGreen. The scientists created Mewtwo using Mew's DNA, sure, but it's not like Mewtwo was grown in a big test tube like in the movie. Actual cloning uses a female to host the cloned offspring, and then it grows just like a normal baby. So essentially what this means is:

1. Those scientists on Cinnabar somehow got hold of a Mew in Guyana, South America
2. They either artificially impregnated Mew with its own genetically modified clone, or Mew was pregnant to begin with (which may explain how the researchers kept Mew around for at least seven months, there's no mention of Mew after Mewtwo's birth) and the scientists genetically altered the unborn fetus
3. Mew was female
4. Mew physically gave birth to something roughly five times the size a normal baby Mew would be
5. This means that Pokemon, at least Mew, have genitalia

Jack Candle wrote:

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CHILDHOOD RAPING. DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO LOOK AT POKEMON THE SAME AFTER READING THIS.

In the games, not anime, Mew literally gave birth to Mewtwo. The Japanese text uses a word that cannot be interpreted metaphorically. It's most accurate translation is "Mew birthed a child", using the word "birth" as a physical action verb. This also means there were no eggs involved, as the word used was definitely "child", not "egg", and they didn't retcon it in FireRed and LeafGreen. The scientists created Mewtwo using Mew's DNA, sure, but it's not like Mewtwo was grown in a big test tube like in the movie. Actual cloning uses a female to host the cloned offspring, and then it grows just like a normal baby. So essentially what this means is:

1. Those scientists on Cinnabar somehow got hold of a Mew in Guyana, South America
2. They either artificially impregnated Mew with its own genetically modified clone, or Mew was pregnant to begin with (which may explain how the researchers kept Mew around for at least seven months, there's no mention of Mew after Mewtwo's birth) and the scientists genetically altered the unborn fetus
3. Mew was female
4. Mew physically gave birth to something roughly five times the size a normal baby Mew would be
5. This means that Pokemon, at least Mew, have genitalia

Pokemon have eggs, silly.

My current least favourite misconceptions are that Playstation All-Stars is a Smash Bros clone (No it's not) and that Bioshock Infinite will be bad (No it won't.)

Resident evil games are still survival horror.

CoD is realistic. (You would be surprised the amount of people I hear say they like CoD more than Halo because "It is more realistic.")

Dark Souls is hard. (I love it, but it really is not, especially if you play online.)

PC gaming costs more. (steam summer sales. sure you may need to upgrade every few years, but you do the same with consoles, plus most PC games can be downloaded and that cuts down on shipping and they are like $10 cheaper per game on their own.)

Basically, whenever says an unreleased game will either be "game of the year" or absolute garbage.
Unreleased games are a lot like Schrodinger's Cat. It can either be good or bad, but you'll never know until you play it yourself.

Reticent wrote:

Pokemon have eggs, silly.

My current least favourite misconceptions are that Playstation All-Stars is a Smash Bros clone (No it's not) and that Bioshock Infinite will be bad (No it won't.)

I know man, that's what I'm saying. There was no egg in this circumstance. The Japanese wording leaves no room for it to be interpreted as "Mew had an egg", it was 100% "Mew birthed a child". No eggs. None. If there was an egg involved, they would have used a different word. Mew literally gave live birth to Mewtwo in the game canon.

I am AHO Right? wrote:

Birdo is actually a guy, making his pairing with Yoshi

Vivian from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is also a dude. They made "her" a chick in the American version because "she" kisses Mario at one point.

Better graphics =//= a better game.

(There goes half the hatred of the Wii)

Also: the industry standard for the spelling of 'video games' is one word. Videogames.

Oh the irony of this thread.

Cyber6x wrote:

(There goes half the hatred of the Wii)

Also: the industry standard for the spelling of 'video games' is one word. Videogames.

Oh the irony of this thread.

It is true,but many people who stand by that fact completely neglects graphics and make their videogames really hurts to see. Graphics DOES makes a game,but not as number one priority.

Laser Pacer wrote:

In the torture part of MGS3,Sokolov is not dead. He got a fake suicide pill by The Boss.

True. he make an appearance in MGS: Portable Ops.

Laser Pacer wrote:

It is true,but many people who stand by that fact completely neglects graphics and make their videogames really hurts to see. Graphics DOES makes a game,but not as number one priority.

That is true. With two versions of a game that are completely identical aside from the graphics, the graphically inferior version is technically the worse version.

I had in mind developers which focus on a high polygon count and don't make their game as entertaining as it could of been as a result. Visuals do have a strong part in a game, but gameplay trumps all.

Art-styles in games can actually have a big effect on the game, both on which is more visually appealing; a cell-shaded colorful game or a gritty realistic one and how the effect of time will have on it.

So yeah, better graphics can mean a better game purely in terms of visual style (not polygon count) but is negligible compared to how fun it is to play.

It annoys me when companies spend their time remaking games so they have better graphics, when the original didn't have bad graphics in the first place. If someone is going to remake a game, they need to do more than make the graphics better, they need to make the game itself better.

But a lot of people now prefer games with gritty realistic graphics, I mean, when Wind Waker came out, people didn't want to see Toon Link. Like Cyber said, graphics can have a big effect on the game, ut it doesn't mean realistic graphics. Take a look at this game. It's from a series named Bit. Trip, where one of the main parts about it is it's all pixels. This game was incredibly popular on Wii Ware (which is better than it sounds) for a few reasons, the pixel graphics. A few more examples would be Kirby's epic yarn, where one of the main parts is it's all made of fabric, and Minecraft, which I hopee I don't have to explain.

Overall, while it can be annoying when people focus only on graphics to judge a game, sometimes is part of what makes the game great.

Well one would be that GOTY is opinionated usually.

Skyrim for example: It was good, I just didn't see why it deserved it.

Light Machine Guns are not light in weight, but it's relative to a ordinary mounted Heavy Machine Gun, an Assault Rifle is not a Machine Gun, it's an Assault Rifle.

Last edited Aug 13, 2012 at 08:12AM EDT

Laser Pacer wrote:

In the torture part of MGS3,Sokolov is not dead. He got a fake suicide pill by The Boss.

Really? But he took a bullet to each of his knees, how'd he escape the facility before it esploded?

This Super Mario Bros 2 is not the real sequel to Super Mario Bros. There is another sequel to it but it was not released due to the fact that the Japanese thought that this Super Mario Bros 2 was too hard for Americans.

This version was only released for the Famicom and the other Super Mario Bros 2 that we know, is a reskinned version of another Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic, with Mario on it.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows this fact.

Last edited Aug 13, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT

Cronus wrote:

This Super Mario Bros 2 is not the real sequel to Super Mario Bros. There is another sequel to it but it was not released due to the fact that the Japanese thought that this Super Mario Bros 2 was too hard for Americans.

This version was only released for the Famicom and the other Super Mario Bros 2 that we know, is a reskinned version of another Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic, with Mario on it.

And yet, the American SMB2 is my favorite Mario Bros game…

Come at me, bros.

Dac wrote:

Professor oaks grandson is not called penis, vagina, cumstain, or any other vulgar name like that. His name is Gary oak.

I named him "Bitch ass motherfucker", because that was his name in the anime iirc.

Dac wrote:

Professor oaks grandson is not called penis, vagina, cumstain, or any other vulgar name like that. His name is Gary oak.

WRONG, SIR!

This is a meme site, therefore is name is Gary MOTHERF***ING Oak.

Cronus wrote:

Yup! And Nintendo sold their fake Super Mario Bros. 2 even in Japan as…

The Gamecube had better hardware than the Playstation 2, being at least 25% more powerful.

Likewise, the Wii wasn't even overall twice as powerful as the Gamecube.

The Playstation 3 has games. They also have Japan Exclusives that I want.

"Sega does what Ninten-Don't!" Yeah, Nintendo didn't lose the console war miserably.

Nothing you can do in the Pokemon games will decrease the likelihood of the Pokemon escaping the Pokeball.

Amaterasu Okami is a Girl. Fon Master Ion is a Boy. Samus is a Girl. Bridget is a Boy. Poison is a Transvestite in the American version and a Futanari in the Japanese version.

There are instances where Film Adaptations are indeed better than the Game. Case in point The Tower of Druaga.

Most modern FPS's are built around Online Multiplayer Experiences, oftentimes breaking the single player ones.

Marth and Roy are not gay for each other. Neither are Marth and Ike. They have never even met each other in the timeline of the Fire Emblem series.

W+M1 is not how Pyros operate
The Pyro is not a girl. The Pyro is not a guy. The whole point of the character is that you don't know its gender.
The Detonator minicrits on burning enemies despite the ability not being listed on the item
Hats besides Old Snaggletooth, Attendant, Grenadier's Softcap, Familiar Fez, and Milkman do nothing to affect your game. The only reason these five do is because of their item sets
So stop wasting time on them >_>

Last edited Aug 14, 2012 at 01:32PM EDT

Some of you are probably wondering how the whole Stop N' Swop of Banjo-Kazooie would connect to Banjo-Tooie. Well as it turns out, Banjo-Tooie was originally supposed to be released for the Nintendo 64DD

This was a expansion port for the 64 so that it could play games that used a magneto-optical disc pac so it would be higher quality. The 64DD would connect to the 64 below it, so the point of the Stop N' Swop connection between the two games is that B-K would be in the regular 64 port while B-T would be in the 64DD port, and then the data from the Stop N' Swop would be transfered over there.

However, the 64DD was a commercial failure in Japan, so it only had 6 games released for it and was never released outside Japan. B-T was still in develpoment while the 64DD was canceled, and so it got reprogramed to be played in a standard 64 cartridge. This made the whole Stop N' Swop unusable then.

Adam DeLand wrote:

Some of you are probably wondering how the whole Stop N' Swop of Banjo-Kazooie would connect to Banjo-Tooie. Well as it turns out, Banjo-Tooie was originally supposed to be released for the Nintendo 64DD

This was a expansion port for the 64 so that it could play games that used a magneto-optical disc pac so it would be higher quality. The 64DD would connect to the 64 below it, so the point of the Stop N' Swop connection between the two games is that B-K would be in the regular 64 port while B-T would be in the 64DD port, and then the data from the Stop N' Swop would be transfered over there.

However, the 64DD was a commercial failure in Japan, so it only had 6 games released for it and was never released outside Japan. B-T was still in develpoment while the 64DD was canceled, and so it got reprogramed to be played in a standard 64 cartridge. This made the whole Stop N' Swop unusable then.

Actually, the original game was supposed to be released for the N64DD, but Rare switched back to regular cartridges some time before release.

Stop n' Swop was originally designed to take advantage of the N64's memory-retaining ability after pulling a cartridge out of the system. Players would take out Banjo Kazooie and quickly swap it with Banjo Tooie to unlock some extra content. However, Nintendo released a new version of the N64 which cut this memory-retaining ability to almost nonexistant levels, making the swap impossible on newer consoles. Instead, Rare put hidden cartridges in the game itself to unlock the content that would've been unlocked through this feature.

In other news, LoZ: OoT was originally developed for N64DD, and would have included destructible environments and a few extra dungeons had the N64DD not tanked.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!