Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

303,911 total conversations in 8,668 threads

+ New Thread


Let's make an album!

Last posted Sep 01, 2012 at 03:50AM EDT. Added Aug 19, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT
49 posts from 20 users

OHAI GUISE!

I was never one for grandiloquent posts, so I’ll cut to the chase-

KYM is gonna make an album, with your help!

“But what can I do?” you may ask, “I’m just some untalented pleb!”

The answer’s simple, you non-egotistical ponce! If you can listen to music, you can help tell me if the songs I write are any good! I take criticism well (so long as it’s constructive…), so don’t be afraid to tell me I’m writing total crap (in a constructive way…)!

“Well, balls…” you may now be saying, “I have awful taste in music…”

Well, so do I, but if you’re that obstinate to giving feedback, there are other things you could always do! E.g.-

1.) Write songs! The songs I write are all quite moody and whatnot… If you can write a song or two (or 8), then by all means submit them!

2.) Make the album cover! Draw something awesome and totes KYM-like, or whatever your heart desires! …so long as it’s site-appropriate. :/

3.) Be a judge! I can’t make all the decisions on what gets on the album when it’s a group effort! Help call some shots!

4.) ANYTHING ELSE! This is a community effort! I’m sure you can think of something better than I can even dream of!

So, who wants to make an album!?

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT
Quote

Pat asked me to judge, just to let everyone know.

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:11PM EDT
Quote

I might be willing to get involved as a judge, provided the type of music is anything I have interest in.

For the record, I prefer orchestral music; or 70s-early 90s hard rock: i.e. Metallica (up to their self-titled album, a.k.a. The Black Album, but “Fuel” from ReLoad kicks ass), Joe Satriani, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc. etc.

If the kind of music you seek to create is not within that admittedly narrow spectrum, I will leave you be.

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:15PM EDT

Love to see that people are on board!

@American Tanker That doesn’t really sound like my brand of music, but I’d love to have you regardless.

Oh, and this album’s most likely going to be an instrumental done by us KYM-ites… If there’s going to be singing, it’ll be something ridiculous like an /a/ sings because reasons!

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:27PM EDT
Quote

I’d only make a half decent judge for the kinds of things I like, Patrick.

Because outside of those specific genres (and in the case of rock, that specific era), I’m pretty much clueless. And a lot of it sounds terrible to me.

Especially country and hip-hop.

(inb4 “Musically Oblivious 8th Grader” jokes)

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:39PM EDT

@Megalolzers You’re in! Congrats!

@AT, HOT Understood. Thanks for the offer, though!

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT
Quote

Oho. Ohohohohoho. Oho. Ohohoho yes. I have many songs I’ve already written music and lyrics for. I could share them on my Soundcloud one day for you if you like. Not bragging or anything, but MY VOICE IS BETTER THAN SASHA FIERCE AND THE SPICE GIRLS AND WHITNEY HOUSTON COMBINED WHILE DRINKING ANGEL PISS

So yeah, I think I’ll have a go at this.

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:48PM EDT
Quote

i want to join but there’s a porblem
I’m an untalented amateur..

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:48PM EDT
Quote

Aww, only silly singing?
But
But
I love the singing.
I’ll record a cover of heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa in a heartbeat.
Or anything else for you guys.
Here’s some stuff I’ve done for KYM in the past. I just used the instrumental tracks and sung over them in Audacity very late at night.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:58PM EDT
Quote

This is a great idea, and I’d love to contribute in any way I can. I sort of want to be a judge, if that’s OK with you, but I feel as if I can do even more. Perhaps I could help write lyrics and stuff too? I’ve always had a penchant for writing lyrics, and I don’t even resort to the sappy love/sex/drugs songs you hear in pop today (and really, throughout its entire history).

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:12AM EDT
Quote

I would love to make an album. I’m a metalhead, so we need some good riffs and lyrics. Oh, can we have swearing?

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:40AM EDT
Quote

Meh… It’s okay… You guys, be brutal about it. I even named it to fit the song.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:31AM EDT
Quote


It’s a fun little doo-wop tune I’ve had stuck in my head that I’ve been wanting to get out, so I hope you guys like!
EDIT: I know the quality is just unspeakably awful, but I don’t have anything that can improve it. Sorry. :/

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 11:34AM EDT
Aug 20, 2012 at 11:08AM EDT
Quote

Again, this is gonna be an instrumental! If we do sing, it’ll be a group effort like the /a/ or /b/ sings videos!

…well, I guess I could make an exception if the other judges enjoy them. :/

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 02:02PM EDT
Aug 20, 2012 at 01:59PM EDT
Quote

Here are three songs I’ve written beforehand, to sort’ve give a feel for the music I write. I could always put them in the album too.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:55PM EDT
Quote

If needed as a judge, I’ll join. As for writing and producing music, uh…any specific genres? I play guitar and violin, but I don’t have a studio or anything, nor am I any good at writing music. I think maybe I’ll just volunteer as a judge for now, and see what I can do later if needed.

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:05PM EDT
Quote

I enjoy this tune of mine I made in 2010, so have it.

I’ve got more, as you can see.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT
Quote

Whoa, y’all are pretty good at this stuff.

So, whatcha y’all use anyway? I remember I made some sexalicious stuff with (lol) GarageBand back a few years ago when it came out, but always felt the premade loops were just so lacking. Do you play your own instruments and all? Or do you use some sort of software to do so?

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:31AM EDT
Quote

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Whoa, y’all are pretty good at this stuff.

So, whatcha y’all use anyway? I remember I made some sexalicious stuff with (lol) GarageBand back a few years ago when it came out, but always felt the premade loops were just so lacking. Do you play your own instruments and all? Or do you use some sort of software to do so?

I use GarageBand because I’m Super used to it, but I also know how to work Logic Pro/Express.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:08AM EDT
Quote

Interesting, but you guys are going about it wrong just throwing music all over the place. First you need to decide on a genre and decide what kind of music you want if you dont want this thing to just sound like a complete fucking mess. You need to also decide on what kind of format your music will take. Is it going to be live recording or are you going to use a program like garageband?

I would also form a group of a couple people who are experienced in the genre of music you choose to look over and make the final decision of what songs get added and what song don’t to avoid disputes.

I’ve got some music experience, and I’d be happy to give some constructive criticism once you get your things in order.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:54PM EDT
Quote

@Twins

My mic that I normally use to record instruments is busted, so I’ve been using Garageband’s virtual instruments… They sound a little stilted to me, but they work rather well when layered correctly.

@Fifths

This is not going to be a great album in and of itself. If we were to do a conventional album then we would have to only allow so many people because not everyone can do every genre. Since this is a community effort, I feel as though everyone needs to try and do their best with what they’re used to, recording with how they feel comfortable. I would rather have badly juxtaposed tracks varying in quality from every site musician than have two or three people contribute music because, after all, this is just for fun!

The thing that will make this great is that it’s something we all get to work on!

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:46PM EDT
Quote

Just some stuff I was gonna try to do for the KYM RPG

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:03PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

Interesting, but you guys are going about it wrong just throwing music all over the place. First you need to decide on a genre and decide what kind of music you want if you dont want this thing to just sound like a complete fucking mess. You need to also decide on what kind of format your music will take. Is it going to be live recording or are you going to use a program like garageband?

I would also form a group of a couple people who are experienced in the genre of music you choose to look over and make the final decision of what songs get added and what song don’t to avoid disputes.

I’ve got some music experience, and I’d be happy to give some constructive criticism once you get your things in order.

>2012

> Planning Music

As much as I know not to advertise, I strongly suggest you join the KYM soundcloud group and put stuff there, it’d be good to get a collection in there.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 02:17PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 02:14PM EDT
Quote

Since I’m thinking on it, does anyone here on KYM actually make thrash metal in the style from that era I talked about?

I might just be able to help judge what gets in if anyone does.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 03:01PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 02:36PM EDT

I really want to record a cross genre cover of HEYYEYAAEYAAEYAEYAA.
Something in the spirit of Hugo’s 99 Problems, or JoCo’s Baby Got Back

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
Quote

Alejandro wrote:


It’s a fun little doo-wop tune I’ve had stuck in my head that I’ve been wanting to get out, so I hope you guys like!
EDIT: I know the quality is just unspeakably awful, but I don’t have anything that can improve it. Sorry. :/

I would like to offer some criticism if I might be so bold.

Quality issues aside, the problem with this song is that it does a poor job of motiffic integration. The pleasure in music comes from a balance between repetition and variation, in hearing a certain musical idea and then hearing it again in a altered form. With this piece, the melody is just kind of all over the place with no real sense of theme.

Your song is contrapuntal, meaning multiple equal voices sounding at once. How does one achieve this sense of repetition and variation in contrapuntal structure? Well, let’s consult the master on that, J.S. Bach.

Listen to how Bach first introduces the melody in a single voice, then he starts playing the same melody in a second voice while the first voice plays counterpoint to it. This is repetition and variation. This beginning part where he starts introducing voices and melodic ideas is called the exposition. Only once Bach has introduced his thematic material and all his voices does he feel ready to start exploring some of his crazy mutations.

The problem with your song is that it feels like it starts in the middle with all the voices sounding at once. That’s like telling a joke by starting at the punch line; Sure the punch line is the funniest part, but it won’t mean anything if you don’t set it up first.

If I were you, I would open the piece up with a single “main voice” (meaning you can still have other voices providing an accompanying harmony as long as it doesn’t distract the listener from the main voice) and slowly start to bring in more voices after the main voice has stated your prime musical idea that you want to build the piece around.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 05:18PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 05:08PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

I would like to offer some criticism if I might be so bold.

Quality issues aside, the problem with this song is that it does a poor job of motiffic integration. The pleasure in music comes from a balance between repetition and variation, in hearing a certain musical idea and then hearing it again in a altered form. With this piece, the melody is just kind of all over the place with no real sense of theme.

Your song is contrapuntal, meaning multiple equal voices sounding at once. How does one achieve this sense of repetition and variation in contrapuntal structure? Well, let’s consult the master on that, J.S. Bach.

Listen to how Bach first introduces the melody in a single voice, then he starts playing the same melody in a second voice while the first voice plays counterpoint to it. This is repetition and variation. This beginning part where he starts introducing voices and melodic ideas is called the exposition. Only once Bach has introduced his thematic material and all his voices does he feel ready to start exploring some of his crazy mutations.

The problem with your song is that it feels like it starts in the middle with all the voices sounding at once. That’s like telling a joke by starting at the punch line; Sure the punch line is the funniest part, but it won’t mean anything if you don’t set it up first.

If I were you, I would open the piece up with a single “main voice” (meaning you can still have other voices providing an accompanying harmony as long as it doesn’t distract the listener from the main voice) and slowly start to bring in more voices after the main voice has stated your prime musical idea that you want to build the piece around.

o_o

No prob. That was really a first draft anyway.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT
Quote

Holy crap, Fifths, what course did you take??

All I have to show is an incomplete Music GCSE

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:39PM EDT
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

I’ll add a song.

Out of the 80 I have, what should I do?


Oh, and by the way, Have this, it’s quite useful…

Damn, missed this the first time. *joins… *follows everyone…

I just realized this existed. Thanks

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Quote

Alejandro wrote:


It’s a fun little doo-wop tune I’ve had stuck in my head that I’ve been wanting to get out, so I hope you guys like!
EDIT: I know the quality is just unspeakably awful, but I don’t have anything that can improve it. Sorry. :/

My first thought:

For obvious reasons.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:59PM EDT
Quote

Figured I’d show you guys one of my songs just because what the hell. I don’t want this added to the album, but I thought I could give you a taste of my own music to listen to and critique since I’m going to be doing the same to you =)

Wrote this song a few months ago and recorded it with some friends. One of the few songs I’ve written where I actually like the lyrics more than the music, but I think the music is nice too.

@Quantum

Took a music theory class back in college, the rest has just been private study.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:09PM EDT
Quote

Music theory is the most boring and difficult In many’s opinion.

I’m not very good at remembering the different things such as counterpoint, homophonic monophonic, the exposition of a piece…

>:(

I did work on Symphony no.40 a while ago and that was difficult as it was long. As you can imagine. I understood it anyway due to the fact I got a Mozart CD a bunch of years ago and have fully memorized all of the compositions. My favourite however is The Die Zaüberflote (hope I spelt that right) Overture.


I should really do my Music homework/coursework…

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 06:29PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 06:27PM EDT
Quote

Guess no one here does thrash.

Ignore me then. I’ll be useless.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:31PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Guess no one here does thrash.

Ignore me then. I’ll be useless.

I own 3 full Metallica Albums and play guitar, but I don’t make any metal.

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:56AM EDT
Quote

I know a bit about how to use Ableton Live and FL Studio, too. Just putting that out there so you guys know, in case that could help.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:06AM EDT
Quote

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Guess no one here does thrash.

Ignore me then. I’ll be useless.

I would do so If I had a good mic that allow to record my Guitar.I used to play some Trash Metal song when I started to play the guitar.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:23AM EDT

量子 Meme wrote:

Holy crap, Fifths, what course did you take??

All I have to show is an incomplete Music GCSE

Fifths is like the resident musicologist of Poni General, and really, the entirety of KYM. Take it from me: he knows his shit.

Yeah, I sort of failed music theory class (bloody B-) back a few years ago. I mean, I came in with tons of aptitude and enthusiasm for what I was sure would be an engaging and exciting class, but it was way more challenging then anything else I had ever taken. Still, I loved the content of the class, and how much I learned from it. Sort of forgot most of it by now, but whenever someone (mostly Fifths) brings some music theory up, all the synapses in my brain activate and go “hey I remember this!”


GarageBand eh? Well, I’m using a Sony VAIO right now, so meh. Installing Mac OS X onto a standard PC is easy enough, and I’ve done it for multiple friends and classmates for nominal fees before (hey, gotta pay the bills), but I’m sort of too lazy to actually find all the drivers and stuff right now.

Sorry if I don’t really have anything to show atm because most of my stuff I’ve done is shitty covers of alt rock songs, poorly recorded onto CDs which are somewhere back in my parent’s house, and no one in their right mind would want to hear those.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:09AM EDT
Quote

@Twins

I remember my music theory teacher giving me a funny statistic that they routinely expect half the class to drop out before the semester is over. Most people go in expecting a funny little music appreciation class and then they hit a brick wall of math-like theory.

That turns most people off, but theory is a large part of the reason why I like music in the first place, for that cognitive aspect.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:54PM EDT
Quote


I can re-record this, it’s just a preview. But I really love this.

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:58PM EDT
Quote

Bumping with content- I actually made this for the KYM RPG thread, but I really liked it…

Also, I am going to be on KYM sporadically from now on, due to college and my life and all that nonsense… I can assure you guys, though, I am going to see this through!

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 03:52AM EDT
Sep 01, 2012 at 03:50AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!