Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

308,633 total conversations in 8,642 threads

+ New Thread

Puzzles!

Last posted Sep 06, 2012 at 01:25AM EDT. Added Aug 23, 2012 at 08:15PM EDT
102 posts from 16 users

YES! I’M A WINNER!
Alright next one: if you’re trapped in a box with a table and a mirror, how do you get out?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:23PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

Okay, let me post one:

What is the national anthem of Hawaii?

The Star Spangled Banner (or whatever it’s called).

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:24PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

YES! I’M A WINNER!
Alright next one: if you’re trapped in a box with a table and a mirror, how do you get out?

How does a table and a mirror even fit into a box?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:25PM EDT

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

How does a table and a mirror even fit into a box?

It’s a really big box. How did you get in there anyway?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:26PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

It’s a really big box. How did you get in there anyway?

I’m guessing through a door.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:26PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

YES! I’M A WINNER!

Easy.

Look at the mirror. Now look at it again. You’ll see what you just saw. Now take that saw, and cut the table in two. Those two halves make a whole. Now simply go though the hole, and you’re out!

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 10:27PM EDT
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:27PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

@Dr Horse:

The compressor? Its job is to pull the warmth out of the coolant

@Bob:

Your avatar is perfect for this thread, it’s like Twilight’s going “are you kidding me these are way too easy.”

@Lone K

You can’t open train windows. Everyone who’s ridden one knows that.

Humm, not really. It’s far more simple, actually

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:27PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

YES! I’M A WINNER!

I think I remember this one. I don’t remember how to answer properly though.

I think it was:

You looked into the mirror, you saw yourself. You take the saw, and cut the table in half. You take the halves and make them whole. You take the hole and crawl out of the box with it.

Edit: Damn I’m slow. Good job, Twilitlord.

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 10:29PM EDT
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:28PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

Easy.

Look at the mirror. Now look at it again. You’ll see what you just saw. Now take that saw, and cut the table in two. Those two halves make a whole. Now simply go though the hole, and you’re out!

I see what you did there…

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:28PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

YES! I’M A WINNER!

Take table leg. Break mirror. Make spear out of shard and table leg. Kill self.
Do I win?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:29PM EDT

'Hip-Hop Legend' Lolstaz wrote:

The Star Spangled Banner (or whatever it’s called).

Correct!

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:33PM EDT

OKAY, NEXT PUZZLE:

[REDACTED 1st PUZZLE]

It walks on fours in the morning, two in the after noon, and three in the evening.
What is “it”?

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 10:36PM EDT
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:34PM EDT

Take table leg. Break mirror. Make spear out of shard and table leg. Kill self.
Do I win?

Yes, and then you end up with the chicken, ON THE OTHER SIDE.
Next puzzle: Ten candles stand burning in a dining room. A strong breeze blows in through an open window and extinguishes two of them. Checking back in on the candles later, you see that one more candle has gone out. To make sure no more flames go out, you shut the window. Assuming the wind doesn’t extinguish any more candles, how many candles do you have left in the end?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:35PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

Next puzzle: Ten candles stand burning in a dining room. A strong breeze blows in through an open window and extinguishes two of them. Checking back in on the candles later, you see that one more candle has gone out. To make sure no more flames go out, you shut the window. Assuming the wind doesn’t extinguish any more candles, how many candles do you have left in the end?

Unless Batman stole one, you should still have ten of them. They’re just not all lit.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:37PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

10 unlit candles, because it’s your birthday!
:D

But then zero, because you threw them all out.
:\

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:37PM EDT

Wotato wrote:

Three candles.
The lit candles will have burned out.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:38PM EDT

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

OKAY, NEXT PUZZLE:

[REDACTED 1st PUZZLE]

It walks on fours in the morning, two in the after noon, and three in the evening.
What is “it”?

A person (throughout their life).
A baby crawling, an adult walking and an old man with a walking stick.

EDIT: Darnit Bob!

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 10:43PM EDT
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT

Oh, right. I forgot about the lit ones burning out. BUT that’s assuming you wait for a long time before checking. It’s possible that when you check back, they’re lower, if you only wait, say 1-2 hours, but if you wait longer, they’re gone.

I suppose what I want to say is it’s too vague.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:41PM EDT

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

@Lone K

A person

@Wotato

Three, I think.

Screw that puzzle, it was too easy.

NEXT PUZZLE:

What’s the longest word in the English dictionary?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:46PM EDT

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

Screw that puzzle, it was too easy.

NEXT PUZZLE:

What’s the longest word in the English dictionary?

Dictionary has 10 letters, compared to 3 and 7.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:46PM EDT

Three candles is right for mine, in the final state of the candles (the end), the other seven would have melted.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:47PM EDT

Here’s a good’n

Shown above are four men buried up to their necks in the ground. They cannot move, so they can only look forward. Between A and B is a brick wall which cannot be seen through.
They all know that between them they are wearing four hats--two black and two white--but they do not know what color they are wearing. Each of them know where the other three men are buried.
In order to avoid being shot, one of them must call out to the executioner the color of their hat. If they get it wrong, everyone will be shot. They are not allowed to talk to each other and have 10 minutes to fathom it out.
After one minute, one of them calls out.
Which one of them calls out? Why is he 100% certain of the color of his hat?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:49PM EDT

Here’s a good’n

Shown above are four men buried up to their necks in the ground. They cannot move, so they can only look forward. Between A and B is a brick wall which cannot be seen through.
They all know that between them they are wearing four hats--two black and two white--but they do not know what color they are wearing. Each of them know where the other three men are buried.
In order to avoid being shot, one of them must call out to the executioner the color of their hat. If they get it wrong, everyone will be shot. They are not allowed to talk to each other and have 10 minutes to fathom it out.
After one minute, one of them calls out.
Which one of them calls out? Why is he 100% certain of the color of his hat?

C calls out.
C reasons that if Him and B had the same color hat, D would have called out the opposite color of both of their hats, and since D didn’t call out, C reasons that Him and B have different colored hats, he calls out the opposite color of B’s hat.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:52PM EDT

Captain Douglas J Falcon wrote:

C calls out.
C reasons that if Him and B had the same color hat, D would have called out the opposite color of both of their hats, and since D didn’t call out, C reasons that Him and B have different colored hats, he calls out the opposite color of B’s hat.

Well, that was quick. Good job.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:54PM EDT

Captain Douglas J Falcon wrote:

I got one!

I’ll throw one out there.

It doesn’t matter who he questions, as long as he accuses the correct brother. Therefore, he can question John, Mark, OR Paul.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:59PM EDT

? CRIMSON, HE BROKE YOUR WINDOW.
QUESTION MARK CRIMSON, HE BROKE YOUR WINDOW.
WOWZERS! HOW DID I GET THAT.

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 11:03PM EDT
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:01PM EDT

AWWW S**T BOY

I DIDN’T NOTICE THAT

I think you got it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:02PM EDT

If you guys didn’t get it, it’s Smiles.
Because there is a mile between S and s. (Groan.)

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:08PM EDT

’kay.

A man is in front of a window on the twentieth floor of a building. There are no balconies on this building, or any ledges on lower levels. He takes a deep breath, jumps through the window… And survives. How?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:13PM EDT

you got it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:14PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

’kay.

A man is in front of a window on the twentieth floor of a building. There are no balconies on this building, or any ledges on lower levels. He takes a deep breath, jumps through the window… And survives. How?

He was jumping into the building.
._.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

’kay.

He’s on the outside jumping in or something?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

’kay.

He jumps into the building.
._.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:16PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

’kay.

It does not state the window he’s jumping through is one that ends him up outside. He is jumping through a window on that floor that just connects two rooms.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:18PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

All y’all who said he jumps in are right. So Lone K. wins.

Yus.
:3

Next Puzzle:

There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:27PM EDT

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

Yus.
:3

Next Puzzle:

There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?

Turn one switch A, leave it on for awhile, then turn on switch B. Turn off A. Go upstairs. Feel one of the bulbs that are off. If it’s cold, it corresponds to switch C, if it’s hot, it is turned on by switch A. The bulb that is on is connected to switch B.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:30PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

Turn one switch A, leave it on for awhile, then turn on switch B. Turn off A. Go upstairs. Feel one of the bulbs that are off. If it’s cold, it corresponds to switch C, if it’s hot, it is turned on by switch A. The bulb that is on is connected to switch B.

Damn, I thought that would trip up people.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:31PM EDT

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

Damn, I thought that would trip up people.

I already know a lot of these. I hadn’t seen the hats one, but I was going down the right train of thought to get to the solution.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:34PM EDT

Since the newer puzzle thread got locked, I will post my SUPER ULTRA HARD PUZZLE here.

My eyes among the clouds,
My fur of patches and shrouds,
My head crowned with two knobby sprouts,
I am a giraffe.
What am I?

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:55PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Since the newer puzzle thread got locked, I will post my SUPER ULTRA HARD PUZZLE here.

My eyes among the clouds,
My fur of patches and shrouds,
My head crowned with two knobby sprouts,
I am a giraffe.
What am I?

Um, an elephant?

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:56PM EDT

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

Um, an elephant?

how did you know

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:00PM EDT

Try this puzzle.
Two Man walk to a bar, they both order that same drink, one of them dies.
What happen?

Sep 06, 2012 at 01:07AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!