Forums / Just For Fun

327,631 total conversations in 8,672 threads

+ New Thread


Map Wars 1910 (signups)

Last posted Aug 26, 2012 at 08:32PM EDT. Added Aug 24, 2012 at 05:07PM EDT
33 conversations with 8 participants

According to the votes in this thread

In this game you will play as a nation in Europe in 1910. Your goal will be to either conquer Europe or prevent it from being conquered. In order to sign up, please read the following and then reply with a filled out stat sheet.

The following stats will effect how well your nation performs, primarily in war. They will effect the outcome of certain dice rolls involved in the game. I will not divulge the exact roll numbers. These stats may never be higher than 15 and never lower than 5. You have 100 points to invest in your stats.

MAN: Manpower. This stat reflects your nation’s population, and it determines the success of multiple front wars, or wars with very wide fronts.

EXP: Experience. This stat reflects your nation’s strive for perfection in combat, and will primarily effect the outcome of offensive military operations.

EQP: Equipment Quality. This stat reflects your nation’s standard of excellence and diversity in your equipment and fortifications, and will effect the outcome of battles which involve special terrain and holding defensive lines.

LTR: Land Tradition. This stat determines your success in land based military operations.

NTR: Naval Tradition. This stat determines your success in naval based military operations.

WAR: War Economy. This stat will effect how quickly your nation accumulates War Exhaustion.

PAX: Peace Economy. This stat will effect how quickly your nation loses War Exhaustion.

INT: Intellectual Population. This stat will effect how quickly your nation stays up to date with the rest of Europe.

DIP: Diplomatic Skill. The charisma of nations. This stat effects how likely NPC nations are to accept your requests. It also effects how likely the United States is to intervene on your behalf. American intervention is a random event.

Alignment: There are three options here: conqueror, liberator, or ambiguous. A conqueror wins by dominating the map. Liberators win by preventing existing nations from being extinguished and creating new nations out of other countries. A liberator does not profit from losing his own territory to create new nations. Ambiguous players will have their alignment determined randomly for them, and said alignment will be kept secret for the duration of the game.


The following are NOT stats. They are attributes that will change over time.

WE: War Exhaustion. While at war, your nation will randomly accumulate WE, with chances determined by your WAR stat. While at peace, your nation will randomly lose WE, with chances determined by your PAX stat. The average is 1 point change per year, assuming that both PAX and WAR are at 10. You will have less luck in all dice rolls with higher WE.

TL: Technology level. You will randomly gain TL, with frequency determined by your INT level. Having modern or advanced TL will not effect your dice rolls, but having outdated TL will give you negatives.


When posting in the gameplay thread, please use the following guidelines:

For in-character posts, use a header at the beginning of your post that is relevant to your nation. This should be centered, and include the name of your nation. You can also include a picture, such as the flag or coat of arms, but please keep it small. Frequent in-character posting is required, and if you go too many days without posting one you stand a chance of being booted from the game.

To input military commands to the game, please use > before the action request. Please be specific when coordinating actions like this. Remember that actions occur in chronological order based on when they were posted. When I reply to these I will also use the > tag prior to each action, and will tell you how successful it was. You may then write an in-character story post regarding said event.

For out-of-character posts, please include the (OOC) tag prior to what you need to say. It is perfectly fine to utilize just one post for all three types so long as you utilize the correct headers and tags.


The game will pass by in seasons, spring and then fall, and each season will have a new map and action results posted for it. You may only take one military action per nation per season. For instance, you may invade three different nations at the same time, but you may only invade each of them one time in that season. Each additional military action in a season will require more manpower to be successful. Attempting to defend or ward off an attack counts as a military action.

A new map, as well as a season change, will be posted each day.


There is a black dot to represent the location of the nation’s government. If you lose your government, you will have to accept any and all peace deals that are offered to you by the occupying party. This is called an unconditional surrender, and it is the only way to get an NPC to accept a peace deal that would result in you gaining some of their territory. You may move your government to a new city, but only if it presently is within a one province distance of another nation, and not during a time of war.

When selecting your nation, please note that no real-life historical alliances, military sizes, or economic factors come into play. The following nations are all equal for gameplay balance: Russia, Austria-Hungary, Germany, Ottoman Empire, Italy, France, Spain, and the United Kingdom. There may only be up to eight players, and they must select one of those nations to play as.

If you have any questions that were not answered in this post, please go ahead and ask.
Once we have enough applications, I will start a new thread for the actual gameplay.
In order to apply, please fill out the following:

Nation:
MAN:
EXP:
EQP:
LTR:
NTR:
WAR:
PAX:
INT:
DIP:
Alignment:

Last edited Aug 27, 2012 at 09:04PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 05:07PM EDT
Quote

Nation: Russian Empire
MAN: 12
EXP: 14
EQP: 12
LTR: 13
NTR: 10
WAR: 10
PAX: 7
INT: 10
DIP: 10
Alignment: Conqueror

Okay, this is the final draft of my nation’s stats. (It’s difficult to balance the stats!)

Oh, and I have a question: Can you form alliances with other players in this game? Can such alliances be done through PM, or will all actions have to be carried out by posting in the gameplay thread?

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 05:25PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 05:15PM EDT
Quote

Nation: United Kingdom
MAN: 12
EXP: 10
EQP: 13
LTR: 12
NTR: 15
WAR: 8
PAX: 10
INT: 10
DIP: 10
Alignment: Liberator.

Also, are we taking colors or different names?

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 05:38PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 05:24PM EDT
Quote

@Russian: Much like in the board game of Diplomacy, nothing is official. You can tell another player via PM that you two are in an alliance, but there is no need to actually follow through with your promises, nor do they need to be public. The only things that absolutely have to be posted in the thread are roleplay posts, territory exchange (>cede region X to player Y), and military actions.

@Cale: Colors will be as they are presented on the map. Nation names should remain the same, at least for now. You can stage a revolution if you wish, through your storytelling, and change the nation’s name. However, this should be sensible and realistic. For example, Russia becoming the USSR. I would accept that. I would not accept Russia becoming Texas. That makes no sense.

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 05:39PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 05:32PM EDT
Quote

Jumping in quick as I can, but I do have a question: How frequent with the turn updates be (wait, it’s daily, right?), and what will be the penalty for missing a turn?

Nation: United Kingdom
MAN: 11
EXP: 15
EQP: 9
LTR: 8
NTR: 11
WAR: 8
PAX: 9
INT: 14
DIP: 15
Alignment: Ambiguous

Dangit, Cale, you edited while I was posting. I’ll reconsider my entry in a moment.

EDIT: Here’s my new submission

Nation: Ottoman Empire
MAN: 15
EXP: 15
EQP: 12
LTR: 15
NTR: 7
WAR: 11
PAX: 7
INT: 11
DIP: 7
Alignment: Conquerer

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 05:53PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT
Quote

EDIT: Statement was redacted, but just in-case, because it does look like a lot.

12+10 = 22,
22+13 = 35,
35+12 = 47,
47+15 = 62,
62+8 = 70,
70+(3(10)) = 100

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 05:49PM EDT
Quote

Cale wrote:

EDIT: Statement was redacted, but just in-case, because it does look like a lot.

12+10 = 22,
22+13 = 35,
35+12 = 47,
47+15 = 62,
62+8 = 70,
70+(3(10)) = 100

Yeah, I glanced at it and said “There’s no way that’s right!” And then sheepishly removed the accusation when I took a second look.

I had a thought about the game play, and while it’s not my place to tell the GM what to do, I was thinking that there would be a good way to get more people involved in the game without overwhelming the GM.

It’s always seemed a little odd that nations representing millions of people are driven in the game by a single player. Does it make some sense for there to be a single leader of each nation, but that also each nation could have other players involved such as viceroys, army commanders, etc.? I’m thinking that would still imply one commander per nation, but if the leader was absent, high ranking members of the team could make decisions in his absence.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:01PM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

Yeah, I glanced at it and said “There’s no way that’s right!” And then sheepishly removed the accusation when I took a second look.

I had a thought about the game play, and while it’s not my place to tell the GM what to do, I was thinking that there would be a good way to get more people involved in the game without overwhelming the GM.

It’s always seemed a little odd that nations representing millions of people are driven in the game by a single player. Does it make some sense for there to be a single leader of each nation, but that also each nation could have other players involved such as viceroys, army commanders, etc.? I’m thinking that would still imply one commander per nation, but if the leader was absent, high ranking members of the team could make decisions in his absence.

So… run a nation… with a team?

That sounds a lot more interesting, especially if each player had dominion over a specific function, or even if the moves were just split up.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:04PM EDT
Quote

Well, like I said, I didn’t want to create more complications for the GM by having multiple moves per turn from each nation, but there are simple ways in which using teams could create flexibility, as well as affording interesting possibilities. For instance, suppose hypothetically that I was leading the Ottoman Empire as the Emperor, but opspe was the commander of my ground forces. At some point in the game, you encourage your secret service to make an assassination attempt on me. In the case of success, I’m out of the game, but the Ottoman Empire continues to exist, albeit with opspe in charge until my oldest son (played by me or someone else?) takes the throne or gets offed by opspe to keep himself in power.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:29PM EDT
Quote

It sounds like a cool idea.

Gah, new sheet, ignore the old one.

Nation: Germany
MAN: 13
EXP: 12
EQP: 13
LTR: 15
NTR: 7
WAR: 9
PAX: 10
INT: 10
DIP: 10
Alignment: Conqueror

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:54PM EDT
Quote

@Brucker: There was a game like that. It went something like this:
-
The year is 1944, and Germany is falling. The fuhrer has been deposed, and the allies refuse to come to terms; only an unconditional surrender, and the total destruction of Germany will appease them. Each player takes on the roll of a leading figure in the Reich, and tries to salvage the war effort while attempting to stake a claim as the next leader of Germany. The game plays sort of like clue, with the players moving around the nation to gather evidence of who the prior fuhrer meant to succeed him. Like in clue, if you guessed incorrectly at the successor, then you would be booted from the game for attempting a coup.

The players can work together to fend off the allies, or they can secretly plot against eachother. Every player would assign a certain other player as their successor, and should they be captured by the allies all of their powers would be turned over to their successor. However, a player with more powers becomes less efficient, and causes a greater chance that the Reich would be defeated. The GM would play as the allies, and the military aspect played out a lot like Axis and Allies.
-
I did not include this game in the voting thread because I thought it would be offensive to some, and I could not think of another time period off the top of my head that would work in a similar way. Come to think of it though, the fall of Rome might work. Barbarians invading from every direction, players vying to become emperor. I will think about it. Maybe for the next game that I host.

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 07:10PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 07:09PM EDT
Quote

Your OP post is now editable, in case you need to make updates.

As for the Netherlands, the capital is in the wrong location.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:54PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Your OP post is now editable, in case you need to make updates.

As for the Netherlands, the capital is in the wrong location.

Past the thirty minute delay I see. I suppose that is helpful. Thanks!

And thank you for pointing that out. To be honest, I had simply put down the capitals based vaguely on memory, but it has been corrected now. The cities of Amsterdam, Brussels, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Bern, Sofia, Nis, and Podgorica have all been moved to their rightful locations.

EDIT: Are you referring to The Hague? It seems that the government is in The Hague, and yet Google and Wikipedia both insist that the nation’s capital is Amsterdam.
EDIT2: I have moved the Dutch capital to The Hague. The game mechanic demands that you control the nation’s government to enforce demands, making The Hague more fitting.

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 11:04PM EDT
Aug 24, 2012 at 10:54PM EDT
Quote

Cale wrote:

It sounds like a cool idea.

Gah, new sheet, ignore the old one.

Nation: Germany
MAN: 13
EXP: 12
EQP: 13
LTR: 15
NTR: 7
WAR: 9
PAX: 10
INT: 10
DIP: 10
Alignment: Conqueror

GAAH! You’re driving me nuts! Now that you’re dropping the UK, I’m tempted to take it back.

I’ll stick with the Ottoman Empire, though. I just keep thinking back to that forum game long ago when I got to play Nepal and I somehow managed to overthrow China. There’s something neat about playing an underdog position and exceeding expectations (even if Comrade Fedora did turn the earth into a nuclear wasteland). Since this game has no “weak” countries to choose from, I might as well go big.

Now, are some other players gonna take the rest and get this party started, or am I going to have to shoot Archduke Ferdinand myself?

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:48AM EDT
Quote

Nation: Austria-Hungary
MAN: 9
EXP: 14
EQP: 10
LTR: 12
NTR: 8
WAR: 11
PAX: 13
INT: 13
DIP: 10
Alignment: Liberator

Is this okay?

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:50AM EDT
Quote

Count Lionel wrote:

Past the thirty minute delay I see. I suppose that is helpful. Thanks!

And thank you for pointing that out. To be honest, I had simply put down the capitals based vaguely on memory, but it has been corrected now. The cities of Amsterdam, Brussels, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Bern, Sofia, Nis, and Podgorica have all been moved to their rightful locations.

EDIT: Are you referring to The Hague? It seems that the government is in The Hague, and yet Google and Wikipedia both insist that the nation’s capital is Amsterdam.
EDIT2: I have moved the Dutch capital to The Hague. The game mechanic demands that you control the nation’s government to enforce demands, making The Hague more fitting.

The country’s capital is Amsterdam. The Hague is where the queen lives and all goverment stuff is done, but it’s not the capital. I can understand where the confusion comes from.

Aug 25, 2012 at 08:08AM EDT
Quote

@Russian: You are only using 98 out of your 100 stat points.

@Brucker: Ottoman Empire application accepted.

@Alejandro: Austria Hungary application accepted.

@RandomMan: I changed the wording from “capital” to “government” just for the Netherlands.

Aug 25, 2012 at 08:21AM EDT
Quote

Nation: Russian Empire
MAN: 12
EXP: 14
EQP: 12
LTR: 13
NTR: 10
WAR: 11
PAX: 8
INT: 10
DIP: 10
Alignment: Conqueror

Fixed.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:47PM EDT
Quote

So Brucker is a high-maintenance Steam-Roller, Russian is a rounded Attrition Fighter, and Alejandro is a wealthy survivor.

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:04PM EDT
Quote

Sorry for the double post, but I thought this might be handy:

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:42PM EDT
Quote

It has been 24 hours since the OP, and I intended on creating the gameplay thread at this time, but I will wait just one more day. Not because we do not have enough players (four is certainly enough), but because I am completely wiped out, physically and mentally, and can not muster up the strength to make a good OP. I will definitely create the gameplay thread tomorrow, and then we can get the ball rolling.

@Russian: Russian Empire application accepted.

@Cale: I see that Alsace-Lorraine is German on your map. I will look into the matter.

EDIT: Alsace-Lorraine was indeed in German hands, since the Franco-Prussian war in 1870. I have changed the map to reflect this. Thanks for pointing it out Cale!

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 04:01PM EDT
Aug 25, 2012 at 03:44PM EDT
Quote

Count Lionel wrote:

It has been 24 hours since the OP, and I intended on creating the gameplay thread at this time, but I will wait just one more day. Not because we do not have enough players (four is certainly enough), but because I am completely wiped out, physically and mentally, and can not muster up the strength to make a good OP. I will definitely create the gameplay thread tomorrow, and then we can get the ball rolling.

@Russian: Russian Empire application accepted.

@Cale: I see that Alsace-Lorraine is German on your map. I will look into the matter.

EDIT: Alsace-Lorraine was indeed in German hands, since the Franco-Prussian war in 1870. I have changed the map to reflect this. Thanks for pointing it out Cale!

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:01PM EDT
Quote

Nation: Spain
MAN: 11
EXP: 14
EQP: 14
LTR: 11
NTR: 11
WAR: 10
PAX: 8
INT: 9
DIP: 12
Alignment: Liberator

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 06:31PM EDT
Aug 25, 2012 at 06:30PM EDT
Quote

Couldn’t we just play Napoleon TW Multiplayer Campaign?

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:40PM EDT
Quote

Dinner wrote:

Couldn’t we just play Napoleon TW Multiplayer Campaign?

>implying we’re rich

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:45PM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

GAAH! You’re driving me nuts! Now that you’re dropping the UK, I’m tempted to take it back.

I’ll stick with the Ottoman Empire, though. I just keep thinking back to that forum game long ago when I got to play Nepal and I somehow managed to overthrow China. There’s something neat about playing an underdog position and exceeding expectations (even if Comrade Fedora did turn the earth into a nuclear wasteland). Since this game has no “weak” countries to choose from, I might as well go big.

Now, are some other players gonna take the rest and get this party started, or am I going to have to shoot Archduke Ferdinand myself?

That’s MISTER Comrade Fedora to you, sir!

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:26PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

That’s MISTER Comrade Fedora to you, sir!

Heil MISTER Comrade Fedora sir.

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:44PM EDT
Quote
A preliminary message from his Tsar-y-ness
August 26th, 2012 Nineteen Whatever.

Lol u guise r gonna loose russa 5evr (dats more den 4evr)


edit: how do i center

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 01:54PM EDT
Aug 26, 2012 at 01:50PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

A preliminary message from his Tsar-y-ness
August 26th, 2012 Nineteen Whatever.

Lol u guise r gonna loose russa 5evr (dats more den 4evr)


edit: how do i center

A PRELIMINARY RESPONSE FROM HIS HONER THE KAISER

August 26th, 1910
____________________________
Pushen der space bar bunches ja.
____________________________

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:12PM EDT
Quote

Cale wrote:

A PRELIMINARY RESPONSE FROM HIS HONER THE KAISER

August 26th, 1910
____________________________
Pushen der space bar bunches ja.
____________________________

A RE-LIMINARY (OR SOMETHING) MESSAGE FROM HIS TSARNESS MISTER TSAR TSAR THE TSAR OF TSARLAND

August 26th, 1019


i cannot into space bar


Aug 26, 2012 at 02:21PM EDT
Quote

PRELERMERNERY MERSERGE FREM HERS PERTY COOL GUY RERKET PERNDER

ERGERST TWERTY SEXT NERNIA
(STRERT LINE THING)
I VIL KICK JER BOOTIES HERHERHERHERHER
(STRERT LINE THINGERDINGER)

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:22PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

A preliminary message from his Tsar-y-ness
August 26th, 2012 Nineteen Whatever.

Lol u guise r gonna loose russa 5evr (dats more den 4evr)


edit: how do i center

You’d better be Tsar-y after what you did to central Asia…about 150 years from now…in an alternate universe…

Silly Slav; you not only spelled “lose” wrong, but grammatically your sentence makes little sense. I believe the word you were seeking was “defeat”.

Aug 26, 2012 at 08:32PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!