Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Video Game mis-translations

Last posted Oct 25, 2012 at 12:13AM EDT. Added Oct 16, 2012 at 09:19PM EDT
16 posts from 12 users

And no, the game was not going to be called Monkey Kong.
If Shigeru Miyamoto had a better knowledge of the english language, back then, the game would have been called Stubborn Gorilla.

Hypercat-Z wrote:

And no, the game was not going to be called Monkey Kong.
If Shigeru Miyamoto had a better knowledge of the english language, back then, the game would have been called Stubborn Gorilla.

Actually, I think it was going to be called Monkey Kong. But Mr. Miyamoto did look at a Japanese/English dictionary and came up with Stubborn Gorilla at one point. But originally it was Monkey Kong.

Sam wrote:

Actually, I think it was going to be called Monkey Kong. But Mr. Miyamoto did look at a Japanese/English dictionary and came up with Stubborn Gorilla at one point. But originally it was Monkey Kong.

That's half of the truth.
He did look in a Japanese/English dictionary and choosed the word "Donkey" among the synonims because he liked it, unaware of the fact that "donkey" is also the name of an animal. And the then he added "kong" because, like many japanese people in the late seventies and early eighties, he thought "kong" meant "gorilla", because of the movie.

William Schnell wrote:

Just about anything anyone says in the Battle Frontier in Pokemon Emerald.

If I recall correctly, there was one female character that said "I'M HAVING A BABY." The fact that everything in the Battle Frontier is in caps when the rest of the game isn't is icing on the cake.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!