Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Remembrance Day/Memorial Day thread

Last posted Nov 11, 2012 at 01:23PM EST. Added Nov 05, 2012 at 04:39PM EST
15 posts from 13 users

It's getting close to November 11. let's talk about Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day/Armistice Day.

Last edited Nov 05, 2012 at 05:06PM EST

Have a poem about the war:
By: John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands, we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Last edited Nov 05, 2012 at 05:05PM EST

To expound, Memorial Day is another name for Armistice Day which is the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I… It's not "Memorial Day" in the US, as that's celebrated on the last monday of May in honor of the men and women who've died in the armed forces. Also, November 11th just so happens to be Remembrance Day, or Veterans Day in the US, in addition to (or perhaps I should say in conjunction with) Armistice Day.

(Just in case anyone didn't know :I)

I support our troops, and I have a lot of family who are either serving now or have served in the armed forces… To all vets and current member of the military, thank you for your service.

Last edited Nov 05, 2012 at 04:59PM EST

Thanks to all the soldiers past and present for protecting and helping those in need.

I wish we could be thankful for them every day of the year, instead of just one day, but it's good that everyone can come together and give our thanks on November 11th.

Alex>_> wrote:

I'm a veteran.
So any type of military arguments are invalid to me. Especially kids who think they are hardcore because they play black ops all day.

Thank you for saving our way of life.

Alex>_> wrote:

I'm a veteran.
So any type of military arguments are invalid to me. Especially kids who think they are hardcore because they play black ops all day.

What's worse is the people that think they're so edgy by thinking the military does nothing good for this country and act like they have proof for all of their little conspiracies. Those people make me sick.

My late grandfather was a vet, and I want to thank everyone who has served for us.

SubjectNumber32 wrote:

So who had any veterans in their family who fought in world war 1, 2, and/or the Korean war ?

Last edited Nov 10, 2012 at 10:30PM EST

­­­­­­­­­­ wrote:

Have a poem about the war:
By: John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands, we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

also, this:

Last edited Nov 10, 2012 at 10:54PM EST

My grandparents were born while WW2 was going on, except for a grandmother born in '49. I'm the first son of a first son, you see. My great-granduncle was an RAF bomber, he dropped bombs on Germany, and once met Winston Churchill. (FYI, one of my great-grandmothers, his sister, had moved to the USA before the war started). My grandfather's father was in the US army but did not fight, being a communications officer doing radio and codes and stuff. They both died in the late 90s from age.

That is the military history of my family, as far as I know.

Remember Pearl Harbor -- Keep America Alert!

(Now deceased) America's oldest living Medal of Honor recipient, living his 101st year is former enlisted Chief Petty Officer, Aviation Chief Ordnanceman (ACOM), later wartime commissioned Lieutenant John W. Finn, U. S. Navy (Ret.). He is also the last surviving Medal of Honor, "The Day of Infamy", Japanese Attack on the Hawaiian Islands, Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.

(Now deceased) 'Navy Centenarian Sailor', 103 year old, former enlisted Chief Petty Officer, Aviation Chief Radioman (ACRM, Combat Aircrewman), later wartime commissioned Chief Warrant Officer Julio 'Jay' Ereneta, U. S. Navy (Ret.), is a thirty year career veteran of World War One and World War Two. He first flew aircrewman in August 1922; flew rearseat Radioman/Gunner (1920s/1930s) in the tactical air squadrons of the Navy's first aircraft carriers, USS LANGLEY (CV-1) and USS LEXINGTON (CV-2).

Visit my photo album tribute to these centenarian veteran shipmates:

http://news.webshots.com/album/123286873BFAAiq

http://news.webshots.com/album/141695570BONFYl

San Diego, California

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!