Forums / Just For Fun

328,170 total conversations in 8,686 threads

+ New Thread


Fringe Beliefs

Last posted Dec 10, 2012 at 02:44AM EST. Added Dec 02, 2012 at 01:04PM EST
129 conversations with 37 participants

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

see I just got downvoted again by some “anonymous” pussy

And you didn’t even post Metallica this time.

Say, you think you could dig up some “ponified” music that was composed by Michael Giacchino? Bet that would REALLY rile me up.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:25PM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

so you are watching them? Nair confirmed closet brony

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 11:26PM EST
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

so you are watching them? Nair confirmed closet brony

Not watching them, just reading descriptions.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:29PM EST

That would be, in part, me, Daniel. Because I already said to stop antagonizing him.

Nair was on topic (at first), and you and Chris just antagonized him for no good reason. He wasn’t in the wrong with his first post. You and Chris were for each one addressing his, because you weren’t stating or talking about a fringe belief. You were just trying to screw with Nair, which is not being friendly or being on topic.

That’s why I downvoted you, and yes, I think it was merited.
 
If you or whomever have any other questions or problems, then please PM me. Now we’re all (myself included) off topic, and that’s unfair to OP and everyone else.


I guess another fringe belief (in regards to being online) is that sports are awesome.

I just heard it tonight that we focus too much as a Western culture in the US on sports when we could be focused on stuff like academics, politics/international affairs (or perhaps less on international affairs,) the economy.

But I developed a different kind of discipline in playing sports. I’ve had a great experience in playing them and playing with people who are great people. It’s a shared experience that I don’t think you can understand unless you’re in the military. I benefited a ton from it
 
As for holding athletes in such high regard, that is a bit of a problem, but I think sports are far from useless (even beyond exercise.) People get a lot of happiness in watching their favorite teams and players play. They’re real people unlike characters in a book or a movie, and the story always changes. No one knows how the games will turn out.

But no matter what happens, no one dies, no one loses their job (and will go broke, anyway…) It only matters as much as the value you put into it. As long as it doesn’t go too far in zealous fans (it’s not worth beating someone up over,) then I say professional sports does a lot more good than it does harm.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:29PM EST
Quote

Verbose wrote:

That would be, in part, me, Daniel. Because I already said to stop antagonizing him.

Nair was on topic (at first), and you and Chris just antagonized him for no good reason. He wasn’t in the wrong with his first post. You and Chris were for each one addressing his, because you weren’t stating or talking about a fringe belief. You were just trying to screw with Nair, which is not being friendly or being on topic.

That’s why I downvoted you, and yes, I think it was merited.
 
If you or whomever have any other questions or problems, then please PM me. Now we’re all (myself included) off topic, and that’s unfair to OP and everyone else.


I guess another fringe belief (in regards to being online) is that sports are awesome.

I just heard it tonight that we focus too much as a Western culture in the US on sports when we could be focused on stuff like academics, politics/international affairs (or perhaps less on international affairs,) the economy.

But I developed a different kind of discipline in playing sports. I’ve had a great experience in playing them and playing with people who are great people. It’s a shared experience that I don’t think you can understand unless you’re in the military. I benefited a ton from it
 
As for holding athletes in such high regard, that is a bit of a problem, but I think sports are far from useless (even beyond exercise.) People get a lot of happiness in watching their favorite teams and players play. They’re real people unlike characters in a book or a movie, and the story always changes. No one knows how the games will turn out.

But no matter what happens, no one dies, no one loses their job (and will go broke, anyway…) It only matters as much as the value you put into it. As long as it doesn’t go too far in zealous fans (it’s not worth beating someone up over,) then I say professional sports does a lot more good than it does harm.

If you were in the IRC this would have been funny.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:32PM EST
Quote

Verbose wrote:

That would be, in part, me, Daniel. Because I already said to stop antagonizing him.

Nair was on topic (at first), and you and Chris just antagonized him for no good reason. He wasn’t in the wrong with his first post. You and Chris were for each one addressing his, because you weren’t stating or talking about a fringe belief. You were just trying to screw with Nair, which is not being friendly or being on topic.

That’s why I downvoted you, and yes, I think it was merited.
 
If you or whomever have any other questions or problems, then please PM me. Now we’re all (myself included) off topic, and that’s unfair to OP and everyone else.


I guess another fringe belief (in regards to being online) is that sports are awesome.

I just heard it tonight that we focus too much as a Western culture in the US on sports when we could be focused on stuff like academics, politics/international affairs (or perhaps less on international affairs,) the economy.

But I developed a different kind of discipline in playing sports. I’ve had a great experience in playing them and playing with people who are great people. It’s a shared experience that I don’t think you can understand unless you’re in the military. I benefited a ton from it
 
As for holding athletes in such high regard, that is a bit of a problem, but I think sports are far from useless (even beyond exercise.) People get a lot of happiness in watching their favorite teams and players play. They’re real people unlike characters in a book or a movie, and the story always changes. No one knows how the games will turn out.

But no matter what happens, no one dies, no one loses their job (and will go broke, anyway…) It only matters as much as the value you put into it. As long as it doesn’t go too far in zealous fans (it’s not worth beating someone up over,) then I say professional sports does a lot more good than it does harm.

Speaking of sports, Verbose, is it a fringe belief to prefer off road racing to on road?

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:33PM EST

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Speaking of sports, Verbose, is it a fringe belief to prefer off road racing to on road?

I think it only applies to cultures that are really high on autoracing in general. Most people on the Internet or in Western culture are probably indifferent, so the preference probably wouldn’t matter to most.

Now if you’re among other auto fans in general, then perhaps.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:38PM EST
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Verbose wrote:

That would be, in part, me, Daniel. Because I already said to stop antagonizing him.

Nair was on topic (at first), and you and Chris just antagonized him for no good reason. He wasn’t in the wrong with his first post. You and Chris were for each one addressing his, because you weren’t stating or talking about a fringe belief. You were just trying to screw with Nair, which is not being friendly or being on topic.

That’s why I downvoted you, and yes, I think it was merited.
 
If you or whomever have any other questions or problems, then please PM me. Now we’re all (myself included) off topic, and that’s unfair to OP and everyone else.


I guess another fringe belief (in regards to being online) is that sports are awesome.

I just heard it tonight that we focus too much as a Western culture in the US on sports when we could be focused on stuff like academics, politics/international affairs (or perhaps less on international affairs,) the economy.

But I developed a different kind of discipline in playing sports. I’ve had a great experience in playing them and playing with people who are great people. It’s a shared experience that I don’t think you can understand unless you’re in the military. I benefited a ton from it
 
As for holding athletes in such high regard, that is a bit of a problem, but I think sports are far from useless (even beyond exercise.) People get a lot of happiness in watching their favorite teams and players play. They’re real people unlike characters in a book or a movie, and the story always changes. No one knows how the games will turn out.

But no matter what happens, no one dies, no one loses their job (and will go broke, anyway…) It only matters as much as the value you put into it. As long as it doesn’t go too far in zealous fans (it’s not worth beating someone up over,) then I say professional sports does a lot more good than it does harm.

1. So you downvote me, call me an antagonist? make me think it was Nair good job trollin Verbsie

2. Like I was on topic with my copypasta earlier? like Niar saying he hates ponies for the 500th time is still on topic?

3. ???

4. profit

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:42PM EST
Quote

Verbose wrote:

I think it only applies to cultures that are really high on autoracing in general. Most people on the Internet or in Western culture are probably indifferent, so the preference probably wouldn’t matter to most.

Now if you’re among other auto fans in general, then perhaps.

Well, my parents are both NASCAR fans and I live in Georgia. So yeah, I figure it’s pretty fringe out here.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:42PM EST

This one’s pretty fringe on the internet nowadays:

Ahem. Yes. I hate Neckcar. I hate it to no end. I cannot stand it.
I know this post will draw downvotes because Neckcar is popular, but honestly?
MAY THEY ALL DIE IN ETERNAL INCINERATION.

Edit: just keeping on topic

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 12:06AM EST
Dec 03, 2012 at 12:01AM EST
Quote

I lived in a haunted house (so says the pastor who cleansed the place, fat lot of good it did). So, I accept that such things exist. This puts me at odds with many of my peers, especially my atheist friends.

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:53AM EST
Quote

I sometimes hate Whovians because I feel like they follow Doctor Who not for it’s science fiction or good writing, but simply because it’s British. Most self-proclaimed Whovians can’t even name any doctors before Eccleson or whoever.

Then again, that happens with almost every fandom for me. I usually think that something is decent, but can’t stand the people following it. (inb4MLP)

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:02AM EST
Quote

@Daniel

What the heck is Neckcar? Nascar? Nectar? Necro?


@On topic

This may not be a religion thread but I think religion still comes into this thread quite a bit. Considering how many people have fringe religions. It’s not uncommon for people to have their own entire takes on existential philosophy.

For an example, I have a belief that’s not too common: The belief that God exists but absolutely nobody is right about him or understands him in any way. Every religion got one thing right which is that there is something out there bigger than ourselves, but the rest is a vague guess at best. All the things religions do to abide by or please God is only what we think pleases him but really there’s no way possible we can understand what gives a deity pleasure. If we knew in the past thanks to certain messiah’s, who knows if what was true in the past remains true now? Are all those traditions and rituals doing God any favors or are they nothing more than human culture that caters only to itself? Nobody really knows anything.

Some other fringe viewpoints of mine that aren’t about religion:

  • I don’t think it’s outlandish to think that some day in the distant future, we’ll find something faster than light.
  • Despite the above, I think we would sooner travel to other planets with wormholes rather than FTL drives
  • I believe the multiverse theory is plausible
  • Lyrics do not need to be part of music and I think music sounds better without lyrics. (Lots of people think I’m weird for that)
  • Celebrities are just ordinary people. (Remind me why I should give a shit about them?)
  • Rock is overrated
  • Video games (or at least certain ones) count as a competitive sport
  • Linux has more technical problems than Windows (I definitely get shit for saying that. But every Linux distro I have tried fails to utilize my hardware properly even after hours of package installations. Meanwhile Windows 7 just worked)

PS: Hating ponies is NOT a fringe belief, at least not any more fringe than liking them. There are millions of you guys.

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 02:22AM EST
Dec 03, 2012 at 02:21AM EST
Quote

It seems like a fringe belief for most guys I know, but I consider personality before asking out a girl. I don’t care how attractive a girl is if she has a unfavorable personality. It goes both ways though, so I won’t act like Im Mr. Perfect.
I Hate meme elitism and I’m fine with mainstream culture.
I like advice animal macros.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:35AM EST
Quote

BSoD wrote:

Linux has more technical problems than Windows (I definitely get shit for saying that. But every Linux distro I have tried fails to utilize my hardware properly even after hours of package installations. Meanwhile Windows 7 just worked)

Thank you! Every computer scientist I’ve known has at some point tried to convince me that Linux operating systems are by far superior to those released by Microsoft or Apple, and I’ve never understood why. I can’t get any of my music to work there, Flash Player refuses to work, there are barely any great games that are Linux compatible, and when I tried to update Ubuntu to the most recent version, it broke so hard that I had to wipe the whole thing and start over. The only thing I like it for is programming, and I’ll admit that Linux really is superior in that regard, but that’s where it ends for me.

I also agree with your point that music doesn’t need lyrics. I find it funny how that certainly wasn’t a fringe belief about 50 or 60 years ago. We can probably blame big record labels for convincing the modern world that music isn’t worth listening to unless you have at least one fairly attractive singer as the focus of a song.


A few people have mentioned beliefs in spirits and other supernatural things, but I always thought it was fringier to not believe in anything like that. Personally, I don’t believe in gods, ghosts, miracles, afterlives, souls, or just about anything else you can comfortably fit under the label ‘supernatural’. You would think that this would be a fairly normal position to take, but according to a few recent polls, I’m actually in the minority for thinking like that (though it’s probably true that I’d be in an even smaller minority if I lived in the US).

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 04:08AM EST
Dec 03, 2012 at 04:03AM EST
Quote

Like what other people are saying already, religious beliefs, as long as they are considered abnormal in mainstream society, can and should be mentioned here. Just thought I’d get that out of the way.

Anyways some more of my own beliefs:
1.I believe in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.
2.I think telepathy, and not any other psychic powers, might be real.
4.I think we’ll find evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence this century.

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:36PM EST
Quote

Internet:
I don’t mind Nicki Minaj
Real Life:
I’m openly Christian
I like Nintendo and Pokemon
I don’t like Xbox.

Where I am, saying those things is like saying Hitler was justified in World War 2.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:19PM EST
Quote

Another fringe belief on the internet from me:

I disapprove of most Japanese media.

F-Zero and Ace Combat are the only series from Japan that I genuinely like as franchises. Several others, I’ve bought individual installments from a series, i.e. Front Mission Evolved; but rarely do they interest me.

It’s not so much settings that disinterest me (though that’s a big part of it), it’s usually the gameplay.

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 02:44PM EST
Dec 03, 2012 at 02:33PM EST

@nair
>says he doesn’t like Japanese media
>only series he likes are Japanese
>lol

Jokes aside, I agree with you. I really dislike anime.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:42PM EST
Quote

Dac wrote:

@nair
>says he doesn’t like Japanese media
>only series he likes are Japanese
>lol

Jokes aside, I agree with you. I really dislike anime.

Edited to prevent trolling.

You know what I meant.

For the record, I have the entire DiRT series, all three Mass Effect games, both Borderlands games (have yet to start in on the sequel, though; want to do the Clap-Trap DLC first, but my level 45 Roland in the Secret Armory save file got corrupted), etc. etc.

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 02:48PM EST
Dec 03, 2012 at 02:45PM EST

Dac wrote:

@nair
>says he doesn’t like Japanese media
>only series he likes are Japanese
>lol

Jokes aside, I agree with you. I really dislike anime.

I do too! Let’s be haters together!

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:54PM EST
Quote

Cale wrote:

>mfw Nair won’t drop the subject:

Nair NEVER drops the subject. The thread derails and is doomed, usually resulting in a lock.

Sad, really.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:33PM EST
Quote

I prefer video games as an abstract medium rather than an immersion medium.

Because if you had the chance to leave your world completely behind, why wouldn’t you?
Why ground yourself to reality when you’re playing these games to get away from that?

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:07PM EST
Quote

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

I prefer video games as an abstract medium rather than an immersion medium.

Because if you had the chance to leave your world completely behind, why wouldn’t you?
Why ground yourself to reality when you’re playing these games to get away from that?

Eh, I prefer the opposite.

I’d rather feel the visceral excitement of being in a high speed off road rally, or the terror of fighting at the frontlines, or the challenges of sneaking around deep behind enemy lines.

I tend to prefer a more immersive, realistic setting and style of gameplay. That’s why I play DiRT, Ghost Recon and the like.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:12PM EST

Random 21 wrote:

Internet:
I don’t mind Nicki Minaj
Real Life:
I’m openly Christian
I like Nintendo and Pokemon
I don’t like Xbox.

Where I am, saying those things is like saying Hitler was justified in World War 2.

You’re a Nintendo fanboy who doesn’t like the Xbox but hasn’t said anything about any hate on the PlayStation?

GASP, well this is new.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:26PM EST
Quote

>KYM in charge of being on-topic

On topic, it’s probably a fringe belief on this website, but I strongly dislike Internet memes.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:03PM EST

量子 Meme wrote:

You’re a Nintendo fanboy who doesn’t like the Xbox but hasn’t said anything about any hate on the PlayStation?

GASP, well this is new.

I like Playstation. 6 of my top 12 favorite games are on PlayStation, and 5 of them are PS exclusives.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:18PM EST
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

Nair NEVER drops the subject. The thread derails and is doomed, usually resulting in a lock.

Sad, really.

>Nair NEVER drops the subject
Funny, because it seems that Nair has dropped the subject and stayed on topic on this thread for the past few posts he’s made while you are sitting here still ragging on him. Seriously, stop being childish.

To stay on topic, another fringe belief I have is that I really don’t find chocolate all that tasty. I know this one is kinda silly, but I have literally had people look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them I don’t like chocolate.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:56PM EST
Quote

I hate pizza. I hate the taste, I hate the smell, and I hate the texture. There’s next to nothing I like about it.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:06PM EST
Quote

YNG, The Grey wrote:

I hate pizza. I hate the taste, I hate the smell, and I hate the texture. There’s next to nothing I like about it.

You didnt like my pizza? Please be a good grandson and eat all your vegetables.

@nair
Have you played flashpoint or arma. I hear they are pretty realistic.

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 09:37PM EST
Dec 03, 2012 at 09:17PM EST
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

>Nair NEVER drops the subject
Funny, because it seems that Nair has dropped the subject and stayed on topic on this thread for the past few posts he’s made while you are sitting here still ragging on him. Seriously, stop being childish.

To stay on topic, another fringe belief I have is that I really don’t find chocolate all that tasty. I know this one is kinda silly, but I have literally had people look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them I don’t like chocolate.

Sorry, I hadn’t bothered to notice, I just saw the post and thought “Well, most other threads spiral into despair.”

Also I’m not surprised that you don’t like chocolate at all… In fact, I’m surprised why people are addicted to it when I just couldn’t ever be.

Last edited Dec 04, 2012 at 03:20AM EST
Dec 04, 2012 at 03:19AM EST
Quote
Real Life:
I’m openly Christian



I seriously hope you don’t live in a western country. I really, really hate the “I’m an oppressed minority” card. Save it for the people who deserve the label, if you don’t mind.

Guess that qualifies as a fringe belief.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:28PM EST
Quote

Jack Candle wrote:

I believe multiverse theory, and that any possible outcome could come to pass if only we’re clever enough to discover what’ll cause it.

That’s why we have Griff.

:D

Anyways, bavk on topic.
(Sorry if my spelling is bad, as I fractured my wrist yesterday and I am now wearing a cast.)

I do not think this a fringe belief, but I do not like most of the CoD games.
They feel mostly repetitive and nothing new about them except the maps and guns.
What’s the point of a game if there is nothing new about it?

And Nair, if you’re going to hate on me about my opinion, go ahead.
It does nothing besides derailing the thread.

I also think that humanity is stumbling near a cliff right now.

And I also think MLP is not bad, hence my username.

I also apologize on behalf of all the dumbass bronies out there.
We’re not bad, it’s the people who ruin the party.

(Fourth edit…)
Nair, you should not generalize it. Seriously, I think you’re just hopping on the bandwagon there because I haven’t seen you give one good reason to hate the show. I do not remember any kind of reason that came from you for said hate.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 02:08AM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 01:44AM EST
Quote

Quantum Meme wrote:

Also I’m not surprised that you don’t like chocolate at all… In fact, I’m surprised why people are addicted to it when I just couldn’t ever be.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:45AM EST
Quote

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

That’s why we have Griff.

:D

Anyways, bavk on topic.
(Sorry if my spelling is bad, as I fractured my wrist yesterday and I am now wearing a cast.)

I do not think this a fringe belief, but I do not like most of the CoD games.
They feel mostly repetitive and nothing new about them except the maps and guns.
What’s the point of a game if there is nothing new about it?

And Nair, if you’re going to hate on me about my opinion, go ahead.
It does nothing besides derailing the thread.

I also think that humanity is stumbling near a cliff right now.

And I also think MLP is not bad, hence my username.

I also apologize on behalf of all the dumbass bronies out there.
We’re not bad, it’s the people who ruin the party.

(Fourth edit…)
Nair, you should not generalize it. Seriously, I think you’re just hopping on the bandwagon there because I haven’t seen you give one good reason to hate the show. I do not remember any kind of reason that came from you for said hate.

1. While I do enjoy the Call of Duty games, I think they’ve been on a downhill slide since the first Modern Warfare. Still, I think Halo’s worse, and even more overrated.


2. I actually agree with you.


3. These are tough times, lots of choices and only a few lead in the right direction. Unfortunately, no one agrees on what the “right direction” is.


4. I can’t stand that damned show.


5. At least you aren’t one of the terrible ones…


6. Personally? I just don’t like the look of it. The art style by itself has me turned off. I prefer cold, gritty settings; harsh worlds where it’s kill or be killed (or race or be out-raced, in some cases). I just don’t feel as if there’s anything I’d enjoy about it.

I don’t want to learn about the “Magic of Friendship”; I want to learn about soldiers fighting as one against impossible odds, forging friendships in the fires of war, overcoming their enemies through their bonds of blood and sacrifice; or of race teams struggling towards a season championship against teams with superior resources and/or drivers, if not both.

In fact, even in cold, harsh, gritty settings, I don’t like anything that can be called “magic” at all. I prefer settings that are strictly technological in nature, with firearms being the dominant weapons, and internal combustion engines powering vehicles of various types. And that’s just a bare minimum for me to be satisfied with a setting: Thompson guns and simple cars are the least sophisticated things I’ll allow to be commonplace in the setting. If it’s not a realistic depictions of the 1920s in big cities like Chicago and New York, it’s a modern battlefield; and if it isn’t that either, it’s some time in the future, whether that means just a few decades from now or centuries.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 02:23AM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 02:22AM EST

There is no “right direction”.
I prefer to call it the “suggested direction”. No one has to follow it if they do not want to, but it is used when necessary.

I do not choose to live by gender stereotypes. I do not choose to go on the bandwagon just to “fit in”. I choose because I am curious, I want to discover new things, learn more knowledge, finally find something that I can be who I want to be.
Look at the case with Amanda Todd. 12 days anyone gave a shit about her on Facebook. 12 DAYS. That’s a major bandwagon right there. No one cared about her at all. They figured they can just “fit in” because they think they will get “special treatment” from sympathizing with all of those people who would actually care (although only a few did).

I chose to watch MLP: FiM. I chose to get into the fandom.
I found out all about it right on this very site.

I chose to be on this site. I chose to explore this site, thinking it would be great.
I chose the best decision, not the one that is “suggested” or “right”.
That decision was my decision.

/speech

Anyways, I do agree with you on the settings.
It gives a suffocating atmosphere (in my honest opinion) and the tension builds up to create more drama.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:43AM EST
Quote

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is funner to play than the standard Final Fantasy Series.
In fact, the standard Final Fantasy Formula is boring. Most turn based combat is. With exceptions being Baiten Kaitos Origins (for being fast paced and reflex based), Pokemon (for no particular reason, probably the simplified combat if anything else), and any Grid Turn Based games (Fire Emblem!!).

Also, Ocarina of Time has at least 3 Zelda games better than it.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:09AM EST
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is funner to play than the standard Final Fantasy Series.
In fact, the standard Final Fantasy Formula is boring. Most turn based combat is. With exceptions being Baiten Kaitos Origins (for being fast paced and reflex based), Pokemon (for no particular reason, probably the simplified combat if anything else), and any Grid Turn Based games (Fire Emblem!!).

Also, Ocarina of Time has at least 3 Zelda games better than it.

I hate people who use “Fun” as a noun for comparative form.

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:52AM EST
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Quantum Meme wrote:

Also I’m not surprised that you don’t like chocolate at all… In fact, I’m surprised why people are addicted to it when I just couldn’t ever be.

I’m not saying I hate it, I like it. I just don’t understand why it can be pretty addictive.

Sure I understand why it’s addictive, but caffeine doesn’t effect me much.

Actually, any particular reason why you aren’t quoting single posts properly? Is it because you’re on a phone or something?


When I said earlier about the combination of Atheism and Theism, I didn’t particularly mean I believe in a God and believe that there isn’t one at the same time, I meant to say that I Don’t believe there is a particular being that is omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent, but I do feel there is a spiritual force that is present in the universe that controls chance and events that occur in a cycle of causation from everything acting upon and affecting everything. By that I mean chaos theory to me seems pretty right; that a small thing can affect and/or cause larger events in the world, star system and universe.

Simply put, that is. Fun Fact: I thought I was the first to think of the what is known as the design argument when I was younger, but no, everything I think up is usually been done or discussed already.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 05:25PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 05:17PM EST
Quote

Myconix wrote:

Pretty much. When I said fringe belief I meant some unorthodox spiritual view or conspiracy theory you agree with. Instead people are just sharing their opinions on various matters.

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:05PM EST
Quote


click for larger pic

I think obesity is a disease that should not be encouraged at all. I’m not saying that everyone should be ripped, but I think we need to eat better and exercise more as a whole.

I say it’s a fringe belief because It’s seems anyone who spends a couple days at the gym and eats right has no life according to Facebook.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 06:08PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 06:06PM EST
Quote

@Quantum

I’m not saying I hate it, I like it. I just don’t understand why it can be pretty addictive.
Sure I understand why it’s addictive, but caffeine doesn’t effect me much.

So you don’t understand but you do understand? 0_o

Chocolate can contain addictive compounds, which can include artificially added caffeine or the more natural theobromine. Chocolate can also cause a release of endorphin and you know how much humans crave that. Does that answer your question?

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:11PM EST
Quote

I knew this thread was going to be derailed eventually, but is chocolate really going to be what you talk about?

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:33PM EST
Quote

YNG right now

Also I think it’s more likely that we aren’t the only planet with life but that’s about it.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 07:22PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 07:10PM EST
Quote

Dac the non-bender wrote:

I think obesity is a disease that should not be encouraged at all. I’m not saying that everyone should be ripped, but I think we need to eat better and exercise more as a whole.

I would agree with you if there wasn’t so much evidence that obesity is not directly linked to an unhealthy lifestyle. My mom is overweight. She eats healthy and works out a decent amount but is still just as big as that chick in the picture you posted. Meanwhile I live a slightly less healthy lifestyle than my mom and I’m able to stay at 130 lbs. Are you going to tell my mom that her lifestyle is a disease and mine is just fine? Some people are born with bodies like that girl’s and my mom’s and the only way they could combat it is if they obsessed over working out and only eating the healthiest possible things. I agree that we should all eat better and exercise, but words like “obesity is a disease that should not be encouraged” are what cause people to have harmful eating habits and disorders. I guess you could say my fringe belief is that fat is just as beautiful as skinny.
As a side note, I thought the people commenting on the picture of the ripped couple were unnecessarily nasty about it. Then again, when are facebook comments not the stupidest things?

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 07:48PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 07:48PM EST
Quote

Dac wrote:


click for larger pic

I think obesity is a disease that should not be encouraged at all. I’m not saying that everyone should be ripped, but I think we need to eat better and exercise more as a whole.

I say it’s a fringe belief because It’s seems anyone who spends a couple days at the gym and eats right has no life according to Facebook.

… Which brings me to another fringe belief of mine…

I believe that allowing other people to like stuff I don’t necessarily like is okay. That’s probably not too fringe-y in itself, but where it comes from is kind of weird.

If you didn’t know already, I like fat chicks. And when I’m talking fat, I mean HUGE.

NOTE: I don’t like my real life girls to be as large as I like them portrayed in my wild dreams. I know what kind of problems can arise from obesity, especially of that caliber.

Usually when I surf on the internet for “the good stuff”, I find people who have other fetishes. And I’m talking downright creepy stuff. Impregnation with aliens was probably the freakiest one I found.

I get scared at first, but then I realize that I’m looking for something pretty freaky as well, and I let them do their usual thing.

So yeah. I try not to be a total douche to people when it comes to stuff like sex, and then I try to extend it to other aspects of life.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 08:21PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 08:18PM EST
Quote

@crimson locks

I have to disagree with you. Some people are predisposed to being overwieght, that’s true, but that doesn’t account for 35.7% of americans that are obese. That’s mostly because of an overabundance of food and lack of excersize. Genetics is also a factor, but it’s not an excuse for over 1/3 of the country. If genetics were the only factor, you woukd have to wonder why does America have such a monopoly on the obiesity gene?
You don’t actually need to workout much and starve yourself. It’s just a matter of being consitant. You eat as much as you need and healthy and work out 4-5 times a week for one hour. That’s all you need. The problem is all those fad diets are doomed to fail and in the end just discourage people. They don’t realize that healthy living can’t be done for just 3 months. Its a lifetime thing.

I guess my fringe belief is that blaming genitics for obesity isnt right.

I might get hate for this, but it’s just the way I feel.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:28PM EST
Quote

I agree with Dac that most obesity is the result of a poor lifestyle. However, you shouldn’t be too quick to assume it’s a person’s fault if they’re obese. Genetics do play some role in a person’s weight, and varying body shape is another thing that should be taken into account when judging whether or not someone is overweight or obese.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 08:39PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 08:37PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!