Forums / Discussion / General

232,833 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

Pro versus Anti Brony: the Acountancing

Last posted Dec 18, 2012 at 11:55PM EST. Added Dec 10, 2012 at 11:52PM EST
99 posts from 59 users

The "Confessions" thread seems to have stirred up a touch of what is a hot-button issue; whether you support the Brony movement, culture, and meme. So, I give to you a simple poll, to state which camp you belong in; given without value or judgement for either.

Just posting saying that I've seen the thread, and I don't see why it should be locked.

It's not suitable to redirect it to Pony General, because everyone who posts in Pony General is a brony (or at least interested in the show/fandom.)

Pony content isn't limited to one thread as long as it isn't redundant. Again, since posing the question in Pony General makes no sense, then another thread does make sense for it.

However, if this turns into a flamewar, then I'll lock it. (And don't provoke anyone. "Be friendly" is a forum rule.) Please don't let it get to that. Thanks.

Oh, my actual camp without judgement or value?

I identify as a brony, and I don't feel any ill-will towards the community on the whole, so I'd be for bronies.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 12:27AM EST

Verbose wrote:

Just posting saying that I've seen the thread, and I don't see why it should be locked.

It's not suitable to redirect it to Pony General, because everyone who posts in Pony General is a brony (or at least interested in the show/fandom.)

Pony content isn't limited to one thread as long as it isn't redundant. Again, since posing the question in Pony General makes no sense, then another thread does make sense for it.

However, if this turns into a flamewar, then I'll lock it. (And don't provoke anyone. "Be friendly" is a forum rule.) Please don't let it get to that. Thanks.

Oh, my actual camp without judgement or value?

I identify as a brony, and I don't feel any ill-will towards the community on the whole, so I'd be for bronies.

In Essence: No Nair

I am something of an anti-brony.
1) I have watched the show, and to me it doesn't seem much different from any other cartoon.
2) Lots of members of the brony community force themselves on anyone within a 100 internet-mile radius.
3)Bronies preach love and tolerance, and yet, anything that vaguely expresses even the mildest of disapproval is flamed among the masses.
To be honest, I'm really defensive of bronies IRL, so I wouldn't say that I necessarily hate bronies.
In short, an interest in MLP is like a penis. It’s okay to have one, it’s okay to be proud of one, but don’t go around flinging the damn thing in everyone’s faces.

Myconix wrote:

I am something of an anti-brony.
1) I have watched the show, and to me it doesn't seem much different from any other cartoon.
2) Lots of members of the brony community force themselves on anyone within a 100 internet-mile radius.
3)Bronies preach love and tolerance, and yet, anything that vaguely expresses even the mildest of disapproval is flamed among the masses.
To be honest, I'm really defensive of bronies IRL, so I wouldn't say that I necessarily hate bronies.
In short, an interest in MLP is like a penis. It’s okay to have one, it’s okay to be proud of one, but don’t go around flinging the damn thing in everyone’s faces.

…given without value or judgement for either.

Given the topic, that comment's asking for a flamewar.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 01:01AM EST

I like Bronies for what they create, whether it's decent artwork, huge donations, friendships, epic lulz or even chaos and calamity. I consider myself one so I can be part of that creation. So I guess I'm in the for camp.

If people have a problem with Bronies, that's simply too bad. I have no sympathy.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 01:09AM EST

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I'll start it off with the animation. Animating is something I'd dabbled in for years with traditional mediums and terrible free programs, but it really wasn't until ponies came along that I actually got serious about it. It's changed my life quite a lot, for better or worse: it gives me an awesome and unique hobby, but has ruined my work ethic with everything else and I can't watch the animation on Adult Swim without cringing. Or really, most traditional animation at all, but it's little more than personal prejudice against certain styles. I've been cartooning for half my life, and my art style has always resembled what the ponies are now, so it's not something that came about solely because of MLP. I'm active in other ways, admittedly reading a great deal of fan fiction, but I still like to think of myself as sane enough.

So I'm for. There isn't anything particularly special about the fandom, but it's just the one I latched on to and I personally got something out of it.

@Starrfish

It hasn't been going long, and hasn't really had time to go in any particular direction. I have faith in KYM's ability to have a mature discussion – we've done it before. Just try not to be inciting, I guess.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 01:17AM EST

Myconix wrote:

Well, from what I've seen so far, this whole thread is a shitstorm waiting to happen. Can I request a lock?

Just posting saying that I’ve seen the thread, and I don’t see why it should be locked.

It’s not suitable to redirect it to Pony General, because everyone who posts in Pony General is a brony (or at least interested in the show/fandom.)

Pony content isn’t limited to one thread as long as it isn’t redundant. Again, since posing the question in Pony General makes no sense, then another thread does make sense for it.

It's not a good thing if I can respond with a post I just made.

Bluntly, no. If you really want it locked, then you might be able to make an appeal to another moderator, but we all go by the same rules. We have an active thread about abortion. We've had several on religion.

We can have threads about controversial topics. People just have to follow the forum rules.

I don't like the show, the community is nice at times, but bugs me a lot, but I can't stand it when people start going on and on about the terrible things about bronies. Bronies just watch TV, and can be immature, but they are a Hell lot more mature than the people who spend their days making anti brony Facebook pages.
(And yes, those are just EIGHT of the millions I found. I'm not linking them all.)
I guess I'm a brony.
P.S. Not all bronies are forced to 'love and tolerate', take me for example.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 02:12AM EST

Über Mephisto wrote:

I don't like the show, the community is nice at times, but bugs me a lot, but I can't stand it when people start going on and on about the terrible things about bronies. Bronies just watch TV, and can be immature, but they are a Hell lot more mature than the people who spend their days making anti brony Facebook pages.
(And yes, those are just EIGHT of the millions I found. I'm not linking them all.)
I guess I'm a brony.
P.S. Not all bronies are forced to 'love and tolerate', take me for example.

I hope they aren't being serious. They can't be serious, right? Who makes a page for something idiotic like that? Hehe, eh…

They're serious, aren't they?

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 03:18AM EST

Well, I don't like the fact that it became a meme because it was so random, big and just not for me, but I'm starting to lose my interest and I'm assuming bronies will eventually do the same some day*.

The thing is, I'm one of those people who dislike a pony posted where it doesn't need to be, but I don't downvote people into oblivion when they do, that's because I respect the bronies, mostly now, as I've stopped caring about hating the subculture. Still, it's annoying.

The art is probably still what gets to me, I suppose.

I feel that I'm neutral, but was once against, what does that make me? Probably slightly against.

* Yeah, well, I'm being general, it's a cartoon, people will stop caring SOME day.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 03:21AM EST

@OP
given you can go to MLP General thread and see who is for it, the point of anyone to say here that they are for it is moot. However the rest of KYM my be either haters or just not really give a shit. Although you may have good intentions and just want to know the ratio of for and against, we have seen this thread and many like it before. I will not try to derail this thread because some of you seem to think I'm just being an asshole when I do but, In all honesty threads like this tend to bring out the trolls (INB4 Nair). I really don't see what you are hoping to achieve from this thread.

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

I hope they aren't being serious. They can't be serious, right? Who makes a page for something idiotic like that? Hehe, eh…

They're serious, aren't they?

Well, it depends, would you spend your entire weekend crying in front of your monitor all day and everyday for nothing?
(Still not even close to all of the pages I've found. And yes, that DoritosAreEpic guy has been banned from Youtube 8 times, he just won't stop coming back.)

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 03:52AM EST

I'm all for bronies and their community. But I'm really part of that community. I absolutely love almost everything bronies have done with mlp (artwork, jokes, etc.) Not a fan of all the inappropirate stuff they've done giving everyone who watches the show a bad name. Like, my boss thinks anyone who isn't a little girl that watches that show is a pedo and should go to jail. Just because of what she's heard and junk. :/
But yeah, I wouldn't consider myself a brony…
I'm like in my own brony community <:3c
…by myself~

I used to really be a part of the fandom, but I have drifted away recently. It's a pretty good show, but the way some neckbeards and 12 year olds people worship it kinda makes me veer away from actively participating in the fandom. I haven't even seen the most recent two episodes, simply because I don't care anymore.

I think like many others on here, I liked the show ones. The fandom was nice at first but then I started noticing all hate and unnecessary arguments brought on by both anti-bronies and bronies alike. I ultimately (and unsurprisingly) got fed up with both groups. They also ended up ruining the show for me.

Though I could say I lean more with bronies, I don't see myself being a part of that fandom and, in honesty, I don't want to be in it.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 11:28AM EST

Thing I'd like to point out is that even if I weren't a brony, I'd still be an asshole.

I'm assuming the same applies for everybody. He's not a jackass because he's a brony. He's not annoying because he's a weaboo. He's not going to rob you just because he's black.

Chances are, they'd still be insufferable even if they weren't a brony, weaboo, or black.

Also, I'm of the opinion that if you're part of any fandom you have no right to talk shit about another. Unless you're talking shit about CoD while in the Halo fandom. In which case, continue. It amuses me.

As you guys probably already know, I am Pro Brony. I have been enjoying shows and movies generally meant for younger audiences for a while, so MLP was something I'm glad came along. I'm not too involved though, I usually just watch the episodes and lurk. I really don't get haters (of any fandom or show, really) I can get people hating a show or a fandom, I'm guilty of that, but to go out of your way to spread hate is really sad and a true waste of your time. If you get mad seeing a pony image outside of a pony site or image gallery I really couldn't care less. Why should your negativity ruin their good time? I really don't care about NSFW images either. I wish people didn't put a negative view on the whole brony community because of cloppers, but it's not the cloppers fault either. Overall, I'd say the only two things that would drive me away from the brony community are the people who think there is such a thing as a "true brony" ("cloppers aren't real bronies", "the obnoxious bronies aren't real bronies and don't deserve that title", "any true brony follows the love and tolerance rule every single second of their lives") and the fact that bronies really can't seem to take a joke at all.

I side with neither
I like ponies and fan content n shit.
I've met haters and bronies that are good, level-headed people, and I support them for that.
But the sheer levels of stupidity on both sides from the majority prevents me from supporting either
Both sides complain about equality and unfairness towards them
They just won't shut the hell up
They want fair treatment and equality? Both of them are equally stupid and will get the same treatment
Problem solved

I personally am on neither side. I never watched the series to make a justified opinion on whether or not I would like the series.

…I do however fear the bronies and what their capable of doing…

Pro. And I have to say, being that the complaints about us that I see most of the time – that we post what we like everywhere, that some of us are obsessive and rude when defending what we like – aren't even offenses that we alone are guilty of on the internet, I find the level of hate unwarranted.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 01:12PM EST

I would consider myself to be mostly "pro", though I'm also with Pyro and many others here. I still consider myself a bit of a brony in that I thoroughly enjoy the show and the fan content, but I'm really sick of this whole thing. Both sides don't care to hear what the other has to say and so they keep throwing the same insults and argument at each other time and time again.

The main thing that really keeps me from calling myself a "real" brony, however, is the internal dispute and elitism that occasionally occurs within the fandom (which Crimson tapped into a bit). Not only is there a dispute between cloppers and non-cloppers, but also with the whole Derpy thing from way back when (some people are still worked up about that). And other things as well.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 02:01PM EST

Iamslow wrote:

Pro. And I have to say, being that the complaints about us that I see most of the time – that we post what we like everywhere, that some of us are obsessive and rude when defending what we like – aren't even offenses that we alone are guilty of on the internet, I find the level of hate unwarranted.

>Obsessive and rude
>Post what you like everywhere
>Overtly defensive
….
So how does this not justify a negative response from others?

You can't say that the fandom doesn't do that. Fandom: Root Word Fan. Fan: root word Fanatic.
All fandoms are obsessive and, like immature Jehovah's Witnesses, try to shove their interests down other people's throats. It's just a thing that happens.
Bronies are just a much larger and more vocal fandom. Every fandom that's been large like this has faced this response. If you're vocal, someone's going to get mad. It's just a fact of reality and everyone should stop taking this so personally.

tl;dr: It's a fallacy to say that Bronies are the only community to face this sort of thing. What bronies get is actually typical of any large, vocal fandom. Since their fandom is extremely large and vocal, they get proportionately more.

I don't really consider myself a pro-brony because even though I watch the show I'm not really part of the fandom but I'm far from an anti-brony.

I don't see how the brony fandom is that much different from other fandoms, Cloppers? Cupcakes? "Forcing" haters to watch the show? Theres plenty of other fandoms that have rule 32, grimdark fanfics, and bigots, so I can't see why being about what was primary aimed for little girls makes those things any worse or better.

And about the "posting ponies everywhere" thing, is not really that different from any other meme or fandom that went viral to the point of people hating it for is spread, which IMO shouldn't be exclusive to bronys and should get is own discussion.

Overall I'm just someone who watchs the show and dosen't see the fandom differently, So I'll consider myself a neutral brony.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 02:45PM EST

I'm anti-brony, but I can understand the rapid fanboyism behind it, considering that I, too, often get into phases involving media.

I hope you don't mind me saying this Bronies, but… Just like any phase, I believe, EVEN THOUGH you WILL keep some appreciation for it, you won't find it nearly as enjoyable as you did years before.

I should know. For a while, Crash Bandicoot was the shit to me… Then Sonic… Then Rayman… Then… You get the picture. Does that me I hate them now? No, I still enjoy them, but in a different regard. I appreciate them for being a part of my childhood/teen years, but can I say I like them nearly as much as I did 10 years ago? Not really.

So I can't really bash Bronies due to their over-obsessiveness anymore. But that just begs the question:

Will Equestrian Ebert ever come back? Can I really parody something that I have no more qualms about?

In short, I'm a brony, as I'm sure most people who have been on the site for more than a week know.
I like the show, and for the most part, the community is nice. However, someone disliking the show and the community is justified so long as they bring up actually good reasoning for doing both. In my experience, most bronies are alright. Thing is, the stupid ones are far louder, and it makes the rest of the fandom look bad by extension.
People who talk about ponies constantly and feel the need to constantly point it out is annoying, yes. I'm sick of it as well, as I'm sure most non bronies are too. But personally, I don't mind if I see someone with a pony avatar and/or username.
And Notsocool brings up a good point as well: I don't mind when someone posts Homestuck, K-On!!, Korra, or whatever somewhere else, so I don't think it's fair to attack bronies for doing the same thing, especially since you can find as many posts about those things as you can for MLP.

tl;dr I like the show, the fandom is mostly alright, and the hypocrisy others make about it annoys me.

I must say, Cite, that you bring up a good point about how it seems that only the bronies get all the flak for posting what they like all over something when other fandoms don't get as much hate for doing the same thing in most cases…

Does anyone know the specific reason, here?

Quantum Meme wrote:

I must say, Cite, that you bring up a good point about how it seems that only the bronies get all the flak for posting what they like all over something when other fandoms don't get as much hate for doing the same thing in most cases…

Does anyone know the specific reason, here?

Because candy-colored talking horses draw much more attention than a crappy-looking MS paint comic or a sequel series
Bronies tend to stick out a lot more than other fandoms
Which one are you gonna yell for someone to turn off, a neon sign or a normal lightbulb?

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 05:11PM EST

MDFification wrote:

>Obsessive and rude
>Post what you like everywhere
>Overtly defensive
….
So how does this not justify a negative response from others?

You can't say that the fandom doesn't do that. Fandom: Root Word Fan. Fan: root word Fanatic.
All fandoms are obsessive and, like immature Jehovah's Witnesses, try to shove their interests down other people's throats. It's just a thing that happens.
Bronies are just a much larger and more vocal fandom. Every fandom that's been large like this has faced this response. If you're vocal, someone's going to get mad. It's just a fact of reality and everyone should stop taking this so personally.

tl;dr: It's a fallacy to say that Bronies are the only community to face this sort of thing. What bronies get is actually typical of any large, vocal fandom. Since their fandom is extremely large and vocal, they get proportionately more.

I wasn't trying to say that we don't do the things I mentioned in my other post or that we're the only ones that get a lot of hate. More or less I was trying to say something along the lines of what cite said towards the end of his post but I fucked up.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 05:56PM EST

If anyone's wondering where I've been for the past few days, Rook Island. That's all I have to say on the matter.

On Topic: Everyone knows where I stand on this issue, right? No need for me to bring it up again, is there?

Sunhammer wrote:

Because candy-colored talking horses draw much more attention than a crappy-looking MS paint comic or a sequel series
Bronies tend to stick out a lot more than other fandoms
Which one are you gonna yell for someone to turn off, a neon sign or a normal lightbulb?

I hope you understand that I wasn't asking for the answer, I just wanted to see a response from someone else's perspective. That's a good way to put it pyro; it's the most annoying kind of multitudinous fandom content posting.

Quantum Meme wrote:

I hope you understand that I wasn't asking for the answer, I just wanted to see a response from someone else's perspective. That's a good way to put it pyro; it's the most annoying kind of multitudinous fandom content posting.

Well, Pyro hit the nail on the head, so there's no need for me to elaborate.

Iamslow wrote:

I wasn't trying to say that we don't do the things I mentioned in my other post or that we're the only ones that get a lot of hate. More or less I was trying to say something along the lines of what cite said towards the end of his post but I fucked up.

Yeah I was saying in my post that you guys aren't the only ones who get a lot of hate. That's incorrect. You're just the biggest and most vocal fandom, so you get proportionately more.

Text Wall Imminent:
I'm not one of them. I used to be a bit critical to them. I was never like "HAHAHA UR ALL GAY XD", but I was a bit condescended towards them for a time, I admit. I've gotten past that though and looking at it, almost every time I've seen or heard anything about it in real life it's "HAHAHA THEYRE ALL GAY XD". It's made me think about what they've gone through for liking it, and damn do they have my respect.

Many of them have their faults, though. I really think It's annoying when a few of them try to spam it everywhere and get defensive when we don't want it. To some of them it's almost a religious devotion and they try to convert you, that's a bit preposterous. Ironically, I uploaded a picture of a doodle I took in my notebook of a pony to KYM and it got downvoted because I wanted to make a joke to them without being one of them. I feel like some of them think it's some super special club they're indirectly trying to "brag" about being in by posting everywhere. It's kind of elitism. I really hope we can get that straightened out.

Basically, they're okay with me except when they're trying to make themselves seem "better" than the rest of the internet. There are certainly groups I dislike much more. (*cough*swagtards*cough*)

NottaWotta wrote:

I've just noticed that this thread would be more fit on the general board then JFF.

Good call on Notsocool's part. This is more of a general discussion more than a game or something requiring community/collaborative effort.

MDFification wrote:

Yeah I was saying in my post that you guys aren't the only ones who get a lot of hate. That's incorrect. You're just the biggest and most vocal fandom, so you get proportionately more.

That's simply due to quantity. Bigger fandom means bigger amount of vocal fans. The proportion is the same to any fandom, the size of the fandom just generates a higher amount. Math can't be any simpler than this.

Not to forget the hate train. 9gag may have its flaws, but that never justified all the negative feedback it got. Same for bronies, some started hating them, others followed. People just love to jump in on a hate train, as it makes them popular.

Because everyone knows the only thing better than opinions on the internet is biased opinions on the internet for the sake of attention and/or popularity.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 08:41PM EST

I've felt something of a separation with bronies in the last year. I used to be very active, at least on this site, but something changed within the culture that caused me to move away.

There was an excellent article from the Daily Dot called 5 signs of a fading fandom and why bronies fit the bill that came out around October. I wrote a blog post about it wherein I described my feelings on the fandom in depth, and to summarize, I surmised that they (the bronies) had lost the values they had organized themselves around, and put out the so-called "Derpygate" as the point where this disillusionment with "love and tolerance" had begun to affect the the fandom's ethos on a vast scale. To have something as significant as Derpy's voice given and taken away was jarring, and definitely triggered negative feelings.

Like many of you, I still love the show, and watch it whenever I can. But I generally avoid self-proclaimed "bronies," on the Internet and especially in real life (yes, I've seen them, and they are a very strange animal). Thus I would say that I am decidedly anti-brony. Sorry folks.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 09:06PM EST

I do call myself a brony, it's in my name, but I don't really act like one. How is a brony supposed to act? Well, I do watch the show, but that's about it. I like looking at artwork, watching videos, and I've even made a few PMVs myself. Still, when I think of a brony, I imagine someone who buys pony merchandise, wears pony t-shirts, quotes the show anytime he can, and talks about the show with anyone he meets. I don't do any of that. The few bronies I've met IRL seem like nice people. The bronies on the internet seem friendly (at least the ones on this website). There are some weird people in the famdom, then again, there are weird people everywhere. I'm going to say that I support the bronies.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 09:25PM EST

I don't care who likes MLP or not.

I don't care if men watch "girly" cartoons or if girls watch "manly" cartoons.

I enjoy some of the pony memes, jokes, and artwork.

I am astonished that MLP is still one of the most popular subcultures on the site. Fads usually don't have that strength for that long. It's impressive.

I think there are too many pony images on meme pages that have little to do with the meme but are rated among the top images for the meme.

I am concerned that people would position themselves as "anti-brony". Hating people for liking MLP is not justifiable, in my opinion, nor is tarring the whole community with the behaviours of a few bad individuals one might have run across.

I suppose I am anti- people who put too much emotion into it in either way.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!