Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Vocabulary Booster General

Last posted Dec 14, 2012 at 02:21PM EST. Added Dec 11, 2012 at 08:19PM EST
23 posts from 17 users

Hello, I'm Pseudo and I love improving my vocabulary. So I figured I'd start this, in case others might want to as well. Here's what you do:

Think of a word (Or find one) that you didn't know before. Go to several sites so you can be sure to get a complete and accurate idea of the word's definition, then post the definition in your own words here.

Don't strain yourself coming up with massive and archaic words that nobody's heard before, those are useless anyway since only English scholars and the like will know what they mean. Instead, look for words that are used fairly often that you might not know, like, say,

Facile (Fass-ill)
Simplistic almost to the point of ignorance, superficial. (Sounds like Facil in Spanish, which literally means 'Easy'.)

Example: Internet debates are often facile, and almost always wrong.

And I know that trying to keep jokes off this site is like trying to part the red sea, but see if you can leave the fake definitions to Urban Dictionary.

Ok, commence!

Not exactly what you asked for, but I compiled a list of some of my favorite words.

This is a list of words I like to use to spice up English papers. I'm stating their definition from memory, so I might be wrong on a few.

Acquiesce- comply without protesting
Belie- to show something is false, or misrepresent something
Chthonic- of or relating to the underworld
Demure- shy, reserved, introverted. (refers to a person's personality more often than not)
Ebullience- being filled to bursting with joy
Fecund- productive
Garrulous- talkative
Holistic- relating to Holism; looking at the sum of the parts and not the parts themselves
Insouciant- complacent
Jape- joke, prank, etc
Kismet- fate
Lugubrious- depressed
Marmoreal- either made of marble or resembling marble
Nebulousness- vagueness
Oneiric- of or relating to dreams
Pleonasm- using more words than what you need to explain something
Quatrayle- a great, great, great grandfather
Reprobate- someone without a moral code
Salubrious- beneficial for your health
Tetchy- moody
Ubiquitous- present everywhere
Vetuperative- abusive
Winsome- handsome, usually innocent as well
Xerotic- dry
Yex- hiccup or burp
Zeitgeist- in the spirit of the times

Hopefully you learned a word or two… Also, teachers love it when you stick words like these in your essays, just sayin'.

Last edited Dec 12, 2012 at 12:17AM EST
Pleonasm- using more words than what you need to explain something

You sneaky bastard. :p Good list through.

I'm thinking

Capricious (Cup-Ree-Shes) (Adj) – Given to sudden changes in mood or behavior; Erratic
Ex. My mother's capricious tendencies drive me insane.

Pernicious (Per-Ni-Shes) (Adj) – Having a harmful effect, esp. in a gradual or subtle way.
Ex. The pernicious invaders slammed rock after rock into the wall until it could no longer protect the village.

Words in no particular order:
Quixotic: Overly idealistic
Clandestine: Secret
Bellicose: Aggressive, looking for a fight
Philippic: Rant, tirade
Amiable: Friendly
Piscatorial: Related to fish or fishing

Last edited Dec 12, 2012 at 08:21PM EST

Serious Business wrote:

Apotheosis – the act of becoming god, achieving godlike power level.

I learned that one from the name of the second to last song in the Journey soundtrack. Fit what was happening in the game well.

Canoodle – To hug and kiss.

"I heard those two canoodling in the locker room"

(We should also post what ways to use these words in sentences, because how do you even use Capricious)

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian – Of or pertaining to extremely long words.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (noun)- fear of very long words

Floccinaucinihilipilification (noun)- estimation of something as worthless (mainly used as an example of a really large word).

And some words you might actually use:

Armamentarium (noun)- the aggregate of equipment, methods, and techniques available to one for carrying out one's duties.

Facsimile (noun)- an exact copy. Applies mainly to books and paintings and things. (You might know this one, but it's a favorite of mine.)

Pontificate (verb)- to speak in a pompous or dogmatic manner.

Erinaceous (adjective) – of the hedgehog kind or family.

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 02:46PM EST

Moargun wrote:

Canoodle – To hug and kiss.

"I heard those two canoodling in the locker room"

(We should also post what ways to use these words in sentences, because how do you even use Capricious)

Ex. My mother’s capricious tendencies drive me insane.

Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu – a hill in New Zealand, translated as "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one".

Salutations, you may address me by my sobriquet opspe, and I am enamoured with ameliorating my lexicon. Hence, I judged it idoneous to hereby commence a thread, perchance others aspire to as well. For your edification:

Excogitate a word (or discover one) that you hitherto had never laid eyes upon. Proceed to a multitude of sites so that assure the integrity of your comprehension of the word’s significance, then post your original interpretation of the definition here.

Do not exert yourselves uncovering Cyclopean and immemorial words that are novel to the public's eyes, those are of little import in any case, since only philiologists and their contemporaries will posses the ability do divine their meaning. Instead, search for words that find quotidian use, but that you might not be cognizant of, cf.

Facile (Fass-ill)
Simplistic almost to the point of ignorance, superficial. (Sounds like Facil in Spanish, which literally means ‘Easy’.)

Example: Internet debates are often facile, and almost always wrong.

And I am sapient that trying to suppress humour on this site is a task as monumental as parting the Red Sea, but prithee attempt to relinquish the fraudulent definitions to Urban Dictionary.

Very well, inchoate!

midointrite?

Epic: (n.) A very long poem, usually about a hero and his achievements
(adj.) Of great size or extent

Because people keep using that word, but I do not think it means what they think it means.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!