Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,706 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Suggest Some Threads, Take 2

Last posted Dec 24, 2012 at 06:19PM EST. Added Dec 22, 2012 at 11:22PM EST
19 posts from 5 users

Yes, there was a previous thread where we suggested threads to make. Reason I'm reopening the discussion is because I've got two thread ideas on my mind and I wanted to run them past other users before I posted either of them.

The first I saw back on TV Tropes, in their forums, back when I still used that site. It was an image search game, where users would go onto Deviant Art, punch in two words, then see what came back. The idea is that you try to find combinations that avoid certain types of images. In my case, instead of making it where winning combinations are determined by whether or not a certain type of thing appears in any of the results, I was thinking of a points-based system that would allow any kind of image results but punish those of certain kinds.

Second idea is your run of the mill "Choose Your Own Adventure"-type of story, just moderated by yours truly. I'd like to have images in it, but I can't draw to save my life, so I'd have to rely on someone else for artwork. If anyone would be willing to help out on that, I could maybe get that going. Just note that I'd run mine differently from how others have run theirs', in that I would always choose one option to carry out, and always favor the most practical course of action. I'm thinking to set it in the world of Crimson Skies, but if anyone has a better idea, feel free to speak up.

And of course, if you have your own thread ideas, feel free to post them, that's why this thread exists.

I have an idea for a game. In all honesty, I won't want help putting the main parts of it together, but I will humbly ask for feedback. I say that, because I'm not sure if the end product will end up being any better, and there would be too many internal considerations to weigh that will take away from the fun of creating and working the game for me.

But the loose idea of it is a battle royale among all users that want to participate, and they'll have access to various abilities to either attack others or defend themselves. By abilities, I mean weapons and skills; permanent and temporary; targeted, broad, and random…potentially dozens if not approaching a hundred of them.

Once I have that sorted out, I'll run the idea, objectives, and rules by here (or in another thread if this thread dies by then, because this will likely take long hours to hatch properly) and then I can make changed or run a very small pilot game with people.

Speaking of Tanker's ideas, I probably won't like the universe of the second suggestion, but I could really get behind the first one.

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 11:42PM EST

I've got rules running around in my head for the first idea, point values both positive and negative for any potential results I can think of. I'll confess that the values I've got running through my mind are exceedingly biased, but then the OP of the thread back on the TV Tropes Forums was biased as hell, too.

The only reason I said "Crimson Skies" for the second idea is because it's one of my all time favorites, High Road to Revenge specifically. I could always choose another, but if I were GM of the thread, it would have to be a universe I like or else I wouldn't want to do it.

And as for your idea, Verbose, would modern (smokeless powder, self contained cartridges, magazine based feed systems, pistols with self loading actions) firearms be allowed in that game of yours? Because that's about the least advanced I'm willing to see a setting.

EDIT: Forgot an entire word.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 12:49AM EST
And as for your idea, Verbose, would modern (smokeless powder, self contained cartridges, magazine based feed systems, pistols with self loading actions) firearms be allowed in that game of yours? Because that’s about the least advanced I’m willing to see a setting.

Think "Bowl of macaroni and cheese" as a weapon. It's less of a gritty, realistic battlefield with detailed firearms and more of a cartoon asylum with rubber chickens and whipped cream pies.

From what I know of you, you'd hate it, but I'm not going to make people participate if they don't want to.

Related to the above, like you don't like whimsical settings, I despise most realistic, "war is hell" settings. Again, I wouldn't have to participate, but even if the mechanics of the game were awesome, I'd probably be turned off by it. So it seems like we're in similar but separate boats. I don't think that would turn away enough people that you couldn't moderate the game.

Now for the TV Tropes game, bias can happen. As long as it isn't game-breaking, I don't think most reasonable people would mind.

@Wsxdas

You should stop drinking. Or take your medicine. Please not both at the same time.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 01:11AM EST

I've been wanting to do a CYOA but I have zero artist skills.
Except in cartography. If that counts. (it doesn't)
Maybe I'll do one in spite of that.
Dunno. I was thinking something in space would be fun.

Verbose wrote:

And as for your idea, Verbose, would modern (smokeless powder, self contained cartridges, magazine based feed systems, pistols with self loading actions) firearms be allowed in that game of yours? Because that’s about the least advanced I’m willing to see a setting.

Think "Bowl of macaroni and cheese" as a weapon. It's less of a gritty, realistic battlefield with detailed firearms and more of a cartoon asylum with rubber chickens and whipped cream pies.

From what I know of you, you'd hate it, but I'm not going to make people participate if they don't want to.

Related to the above, like you don't like whimsical settings, I despise most realistic, "war is hell" settings. Again, I wouldn't have to participate, but even if the mechanics of the game were awesome, I'd probably be turned off by it. So it seems like we're in similar but separate boats. I don't think that would turn away enough people that you couldn't moderate the game.

Now for the TV Tropes game, bias can happen. As long as it isn't game-breaking, I don't think most reasonable people would mind.

@Wsxdas

You should stop drinking. Or take your medicine. Please not both at the same time.

Ah, I see. I'll have to pass, then. Too "out there" for me.

I'm going to force people to participate as much as you are, my friend.

And the bias I'm talking about is in the scoring system. Some preliminary numbers are as follows:

• Anything military: If from before 1939, -10 points. If from 1939 onward, +10 points.
  • Anything pony: -1000 points….

And so on and so forth down the line. If that's game breaking, I'll see if I can't dial it back a bit.

Agreed. On all three.

>"You should stop drinking. Or take your medicine. Please not both at the same time."
So do I stop drinking and ignore my medicine or should I drink while taking medicine.
Or is the drink the medicine.
Or is the medicine the drink.
Maybe I am the medicine.
Maybe you are the drink.

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

>"You should stop drinking. Or take your medicine. Please not both at the same time."
So do I stop drinking and ignore my medicine or should I drink while taking medicine.
Or is the drink the medicine.
Or is the medicine the drink.
Maybe I am the medicine.
Maybe you are the drink.

I know this is JFF, but I intend there to be a purpose to this thread.

Not simply inane rambling or worse, a sea of image only posts.

I agree with American Tanker. There is no use for ponies in a battlefield setting.

“Taste lead, bouncing pink animal!”

“Not even your magic horn can save you now…”

I have plenty of ideas for forum games (and I mean plenty).

One I might get posted within the next few days is an RP. Think “Nation RP Meets Murder Mystery Format Meets Hurt/Heal Meets Minecraft, With Additional Combat.” Users will be able to register for eligibility to play. I will assign them their teammates through PM as soon as at least 16 users have signed up to play. These four teams will then be asked to resolve amongst themselves who will play the role of the Commander for their respective teams. The Commander is the leading official, and will have to report to me with their turn by the end of the rotation, or face the consequences. It will also be the job of the teams to decide their team names.

These four teams will each start with 20 health points. Users can tell me through PMs what they would like to do in that turn: attempt to claim land, shelter and/or resources, attack other teams with various weaponry that decrease the targeted team’s health depending on which weapon they use. They can also heal their own team with resources (food, water, medicine, etc.) If successful, a team could eliminate all enemies and create their own empire. The larger a team’s territory grows, the more people will create homes there and expand the empire. Obviously, a team ceases to exist once their health point total reaches zero.

I need a weapon-savvy user to point me in the right direction about which weapons should be able to inflict which number of damage points among teams. There wouldn’t happen to be…anybody with an interest in weapons in this thread…

…Would there?

I suppose users on their teams could contact each other and decide on their game plan through a “pass-it-on” method or in an IRC chatroom or something. How they want to do that is up to them.

Aside from that relatively complicated project, I also have ideas for text-based roleplay and adventure games I’ll probably get around to developing sometime in the future. As of right now, I only have basic ideas.

Some more details on the scoring system for the first of my two ideas:

• Naturally, the system would favors things that I like, and disfavor those that I don't. I'm pretty sure I'd assign a negative value to all things relating to or drawn in the style of anime and manga.
  • I would like assign positive point values to things draw in a more realistic style, or related to media that I like. I can foresee big positive point scores given to anything relating to Mythbusters or Burn Notice.
  • I can also foresee smaller point scores for certain things, like tanks (positive), aircraft (positive), mecha (mixed bag), etc. etc.

As for my second idea, I'm still trying to hammer out the details, but until I determine a universe for it to take place in, I can't really set any mechanics in stone. I'm still feeling the call of Crimson Skies; but I could just as easily set it in the Mass Effect, Brink or Fallout 3 universes.

And I'm still looking for anyone that might be willing to illustrate for me.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 04:50PM EST

Sorry to double post, but in light of my finally actually doing anything of significance with my Wii U, I'm going to make a thread about it in General.

Be warned: This is going to be a massive rage post. I already hate the damned thing and just want to be rid of it.

EDIT: Wii U Thread posted.

Last edited Dec 24, 2012 at 12:00AM EST

Alright, I'm really considering opening up my second idea, but I still need to nail down where it's going to take place. I'm still thinking Crimson Skies, but I could be convinced to do one of a few others.

EDIT: How about World of Tanks instead?

Last edited Dec 24, 2012 at 05:11PM EST

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

I'm still seeking somebody with an interest in weaponry to help me out…

Well, it depends on the era.

Anything widely used from WWII onward, I'm pretty knowledgeable about. Anything before WWI, I pretty much don't give a damn. Things between the two World Wars, it's a mixed bag; some I know well, others I don't know the first thing about.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Well, it depends on the era.

Anything widely used from WWII onward, I'm pretty knowledgeable about. Anything before WWI, I pretty much don't give a damn. Things between the two World Wars, it's a mixed bag; some I know well, others I don't know the first thing about.

WWII onward was sort of what I had in mind. I don't know nearly as much about from WWI and before, because I haven't studied that period in time. But, yeah, WWII onward was what I was thinking about.

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

WWII onward was sort of what I had in mind. I don't know nearly as much about from WWI and before, because I haven't studied that period in time. But, yeah, WWII onward was what I was thinking about.

Then I might be able to help you.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Then I might be able to help you.

Alright, cool. The format I'm looking for is:

X (Weapon)=X Points of Damage

Other than that, I think I'm all set. I just hope that when I do launch this rather elaborate game, it gets enough participants to run smoothly.

Last edited Dec 24, 2012 at 06:14PM EST

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

Alright, cool. The format I'm looking for is:

X (Weapon)=X Points of Damage

Other than that, I think I'm all set. I just hope that when I do launch this rather elaborate game, it gets enough participants to run smoothly.

Ah, I wouldn't say that the weapon determines the damage.

I know this might make balancing individual weapons difficult, but I was thinking we should use the cartridge the weapon fires in order to determine damage.

CYOA: WoT has been posted.

Consider yourselves warned: I will only be using suggestions for actions that I would consider "practical", not ones that I consider "outlandish".

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!