Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Post the saddest song you know

Last posted Feb 08, 2013 at 12:04PM EST. Added Jan 11, 2013 at 04:59AM EST
49 posts from 37 users

I'm a man of melancholy, a connoisseur of cheerlessness, and a seeker of sobriety. I'm not a sad person, but for some odd reason I like sad songs. So I propose a game.

You know the drill: Spoiler buttons make the mods happy.

No song quite captures the spirit of hope, defeat and loss as well as Fast Car.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 05:00AM EST

The mods smile frown upon this thread.

Long song, odd time signature, good for those who are perpetually friend zoned.

"Sometimes a life that seems hard to take
Is soothed for a while by an old friend
Leaving a bad need in its wake.
Sad, how some friendships never, ever seem to end.

"Well, all of my heroes up and died.
Songs and a dream are left for me.
What did them in, not suicide
Just a lengthy friendship and a dream of how it could be."

This song nearly moves me to tears every time I hear it. Call me a sucker for war drama, but it really gets me somehow.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 12:45PM EST

Fun fact: This is one 27 samples of music included on the Voyager Golden Record, launched into space in 1977 to represent the diversity of life on Earth if any other living life form ever finds it. It was chosen as the human expression of loneliness.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 01:56PM EST

I have two songs, both (predictably) from Radiohead.

The second song was actually written for Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, and it plays over the credits. After they die.

You're welcome!

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 04:18PM EST

Fun fact: This is one 27 samples of music included on the Voyager Golden Record, launched into space in 1977 to represent the diversity of life on Earth if any other living life form ever finds it. It was chosen as the human expression of loneliness.

Vsauce!

About half of the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack.

Damn straight. The ending with Kairi calling to Sora still gives me the feels.

I think this is the saddest thing I got:

Even then, it's probably not that sad. I tend to steer away from really depressing sounding stuff so my options are pretty limited. I don't think I actually have anything else that sounds downbeat and mellow. I'm always going for energy.

But that one got into my playlist for the impressive atmosphere.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 08:08PM EST

Reticent wrote:

Vsauce!

About half of the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack.

Damn straight. The ending with Kairi calling to Sora still gives me the feels.

Vsauce!

Mad World. And the Gary Jules version, not Tears for Fears.

It's beautifully depressing. I find it sad because every single line in the song describes me.

cries in corner

I know, I know. Nobody has any idea what most of the lyrics are about.
Eddie once said it was about his friend, Tim Ledbetter, receiving a yellow letter in the mail about how his brother had died in the first gulf war.

There used to be a rumour that this song was about the guitarist's brother being killed in a fire when they were children. That was fake. He never had a brother. Still, the song is really sad. Almost has a tragic feel to it.

Last edited Jan 12, 2013 at 10:07PM EST

Unfortunately, it gets a bit too obvious in the chorus, but the rest is quite compelling.
"What Sarah Said"
by Death Cab for Cutie

It's basically about sitting in the hospital while waiting for his friend to die.

Last edited Jan 12, 2013 at 11:58PM EST

It's just so sad. Justin Bieber, world's worst artist, teamed up with Nicki Minaj, the gibberish rapper.

Some called it the official end to good music. Some called it the beginning of the end. Who knows?

Mungalo wrote:

Unfortunately, it gets a bit too obvious in the chorus, but the rest is quite compelling.
"What Sarah Said"
by Death Cab for Cutie

It's basically about sitting in the hospital while waiting for his friend to die.

Oh gods, Death Cab for Cutie. That reminds me of a song I should post.

The song is beautiful, the video is incredible, and I want to hold the riff towards the end and never let it go.

Another extremely sad one, especially if you're into 8-Bit/Chiptune, is

This song, using typical 8-bit (or 16-bit, unsure) conventions has enough emotional weight to blow most modern songs out of the water.

This is so neat.
Every important part of the anime had this song playing, it is beautiful and calming but sadding. Two brothers searching for a way to get themselves back to normal after they attempted of bringing back some one they hold dear which did cost them dearly as well.

Last edited Jan 13, 2013 at 10:13PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!