Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Random "discovery" about cartoons

Last posted Feb 16, 2013 at 03:11AM EST. Added Feb 16, 2013 at 12:58AM EST
2 posts from 2 users

I'm a math major who likes cartoons and today I randomly thought "If the 'Golden Age of Animation' could be considered the 'Classical Era of Cartoons,' and if there was a 'Renaissance Age of Animation,' then what would today's cartoons be considered?" After a bit of googling, I got some estimates (that are probably not accurate) that indicated that the Renaissance "ended" around 1550 and that the Classical Era "ended" around 600 and the year 1930 for classical cartoons and the year 1990 for "Renaissance" cartoons. If you create a linear equation (in point slope form) y = -89875/3+(95 x)/6 where y is the "cartoon year" and x is the "real" year, then that means the "real" year 2013 is equal to the "cartoon year" 1914 (and one sixth). This is an interesting coincidence, considering WWI started in 1914. This doesn't really "prove" or "disprove" anything, and I probably have a self-fulfilling prophecy that the cartoons I watched when I was young are better than the ones coming out now that I am an adult, but I still find the coincidence a little funny.

TL;DR- Depending upon what numbers you use, today's cartoons could be considered the WWI era of cartoons.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!