Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

So I Wrote an Essay and I Want Your Opinions

Last posted May 11, 2013 at 03:29PM EDT. Added May 10, 2013 at 06:00PM EDT
7 posts from 5 users

http://comicsinthecoffeeshop.tumblr.com/post/50113492755/a-not-so-short-piece-on-preferential-relativism-a-term

This is probably just a fancy way of getting around the "no promoting" rule, and I'm sorry if it is, but I wrote this earlier today, and I was hoping to get some feedback from you all. Regardless of whether I agree with all of you, I know that most if not all of you are very intelligent and well thought individuals, and I'd like to bounce the idea in this essay off of you all. No obligations, of course.

alsosorryilltrytobemoreactivefromnowon

Last edited May 10, 2013 at 06:01PM EDT

Under your concept of 'preferential relativism', why does what we think matter? It doesn't influence what you think. So why bother asking anyone else for their opinion?

opspe wrote:

Under your concept of 'preferential relativism', why does what we think matter? It doesn't influence what you think. So why bother asking anyone else for their opinion?

Because new information and different views can still have an impact on a person's opinions. An opinion being valid and an opinion being perfect aren't the same thing: someone else's insight can help you define your own thoughts more thoroughly.

For example, when I first saw "The Dark Knight Rises", I didn't have any issues with it. But after discussions with people who did, I found myself reanalyzing the movie, and ended up liking it less than I originally did. Which I prefer, honestly, because I'd rather solidly dislike something than ambiguously like it.

Good essay. I've grown to appreciate this idea much more recently in an attempt to better appreciate life from other people's points of view, but I've never put it nearly as concretely.

Try getting into moral relativism, though. Whole other can of worms.

Reticent wrote:

Good essay. I've grown to appreciate this idea much more recently in an attempt to better appreciate life from other people's points of view, but I've never put it nearly as concretely.

Try getting into moral relativism, though. Whole other can of worms.

Ohhhhh, trust me, I've put a lot of thought into moral relativism. It can make your brain hurt.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!