+ New Thread

Red Leader,Standing by

Last posted Oct 30, 2009 at 10:48PM EDT. Added Oct 20, 2009 at 11:56PM EDT
164 conversations with 31 participants

well you used dragons. Dragons are win

SGT. peppers lonley hearts club band, standing by
but this is more full of win then dragons :p

Oct 25, 2009 at 01:55PM EDT

Bee Gees standing by. no one can beat this hair + beard combo.

Oct 25, 2009 at 02:40PM EDT

@the skank is a lie!

Here’s how I beat the Beatles.

I haven’t looked over the whole thing so I’ll just link to it.

http://www.cylegage.com/lulz/4chan_memes.jpg

Oct 25, 2009 at 05:41PM EDT

“Apostles of Ragnarock,” standing by. Don’t tell me this isn’t completely awesome.

Oct 25, 2009 at 09:39PM EDT

Jimi Hendrix came before Varg Vikernes and was inspiration for the metal scene as we know it today. So Jimi trumps all!

Oct 26, 2009 at 04:38PM EDT

Whatchu guys talkin’ about? Making my own album cover for the Make Your Own Album Cover article makes my album cover the best!

But if I were to choose a real cover it would have to be this one. I mean, C’MON! It’s “Weird Al” Yankovic for crying out loud!

Oct 26, 2009 at 04:48PM EDT

@ HackerOnHacker and Joeflims

I’d take the King of Surf Guitar over Hendrix and Vikernes (who HackerOnHacker is obviously hornin’ for) any day of the week.

Or Chuck Berry.

Oct 26, 2009 at 05:14PM EDT

@ Jostin Asuncion You’re right. No matter how heated a debate about music gets, you can always say that Weird Al is AWESOME!

Oct 26, 2009 at 05:16PM EDT

@ Jostin Asuncion, HackerOnHacker, and Captain Blubber
I am one of those people who like many different styles of music. I love Weird Al as much as Dick Dale as much as Jimi Hendrix (Sorry HackerOnHacker, I’m not so crazy about metal, thought it’s better you like the Scandinavian stuff more than the American stuff, b/c the Scandinavian is much more hardcore.) The fact is that they are all just as good as each other, only just different.

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:10PM EDT

The only American metal bands I’ve ever liked were Manowar and Arghoslent. Arghoslent shows amazing technical skills, and Manowar… is Manowar. I wouldn’t say that Norwegian metal is my favorite, though, as I tend to enjoy Russian, Polish, and German NSBM more.

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:15PM EDT

Wheres the love for the american bands?

Metallica, Pantera, Exodus, Testament, Anthrax??

Anybody?

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:18PM EDT

Wow, I never thought my knowledge of Scandinavian death metal history would actually come in handy. Count Grishnackh, lulz.

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:19PM EDT

@ HackerOnHacker Even though I’m not really a metal fan, I tend to get the sense that European metal is a lot more hardcore and taken a lot more seriously. When I hear Norwegian or Russian metal, to me it sounds like the music is taken more like a Mozart freak takes Mozart seriously (that’s the best analogy I could come up with), where mainstream American metal ( Metallica, Pantera, Anthrax) sound more like they do it for fun.

@ Frketson Aren’t you Australian?

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:30PM EDT

@ HackerOnHacker Even though I’m not really a metal fan, I tend to get the sense that European metal is a lot more hardcore and taken a lot more seriously. When I hear Norwegian or Russian metal, to me it sounds like the music is taken more like a Mozart freak takes Mozart seriously (that’s the best analogy I could come up with), where mainstream American metal ( Metallica, Pantera, Anthrax) sound more like they do it for fun.

@ Frketson Aren’t you Australian?

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:30PM EDT

@Andre Alessi – Varg is black metal, not death metal. (‘-’ )

@Joeflims – In the case of black metal, it’s even more serious. There’s an entire philosophy behind it, at least for the more trve bands. They really take the anti-Christianity thing seriously, and in the case of NSBM, they’re heavily against all the Abrahamic religions. There’s also themes of paganism, environmentalism, and in some cases, fascism.

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:34PM EDT

@ joeflims, yes i am. But i’m more into the mainstream side of metal and tbh there are really no Australian bands i like.

I feel like i can’t take black metal seriosuly, i can listen to experimental music, noise music whatever, but when the vocals kick in in a black metal song, it just sounds like one big joke. IMO anyway.

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:38PM EDT

@HackerOnHacker: Oh dear, I appear to have blown my cred to smithereens. :P

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:41PM EDT

So let me get this straight.

Black Metal is the opposite of country western music?

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:41PM EDT

@ HackerOnHacker- Exactly my point. American metal is more like for the sex, drugs, and living the high life, while European metal is like their doing it because they connect with the philosophy behind the music. Instead of using the music to get money and girls and talk about getting money and girls, European metal is like they believe in the music itself.

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:43PM EDT

@ Frketson – Which black metal bands have you heard, anyway? Some bands’ vocals will be better than others. I particularly like the vocals of Absurd, PD SS Totenkopf, and Infernal War.

@ Joeflims – True, true. Which is probably why I make an exception for Arghoslent, they do use their music to express their philosophy (as disagreeable as it may be to some). And Manowar… is Manowar. Varg was heavily against the “sex, drugs, rock and roll” mode of thought, just as much as I. ;) I prefer my music remain asexual.

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:54PM EDT

@ Frketson Really? Not even Jet, Wolfmother, The Oils, Skyhooks, INXS, You Am I, Ratcat, Men At Work, Silverchair, or even AC/DC?

Oct 26, 2009 at 07:59PM EDT

I have one final question for you people: Is he the Messiah?
( hint: Monty Python)

Oct 26, 2009 at 08:10PM EDT

I myself Listen mostly to hardcore punk the early stuff and the new stuff as well and Thrash since in the past few years been making a kick ass comeback In my local and scene anyways.

BUT there’s some Black metal that is Just epic!
Carpathian Forest and Gorgoroth* i could listen to these bands all fucking Day!

Anyways it seems this thread has become a Music on SWEET!

Oct 26, 2009 at 09:10PM EDT

Carpathian Forest’s pretty good. I haven’t really listened to Gorgoroth, though. Like I said, I specialize in NSBM.

Oct 26, 2009 at 09:24PM EDT

@ the skank is a lie- I like ska too. I like some of the old Jamaican ska and rock steady. I also like some of the new ska that came out in the 90’s.

Oct 26, 2009 at 09:29PM EDT

No, don’t worry. The internet is a gathering of many different cultures and intrests.

Oct 26, 2009 at 09:35PM EDT

The internet only appears to be full of metalheads just because of the existence of That Metalhead. I’ll just copy + paste from my blog:

As soon as someone is established as That Metalhead, suddenly a few more metalheads start posting. And then a few more. And then a few more. They just multiply for no apparent reason. Oftentimes, they derail topics to discuss some random band, but it’s no one’s fault in particular. Just part of the chain reaction.

Oct 26, 2009 at 09:36PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!