Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,689 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Grimdark

Last posted Jun 30, 2013 at 12:40PM EDT. Added Jun 28, 2013 at 10:52PM EDT
12 posts from 8 users

I like Grimdark. Probably because I grew up playing grimdark games filled with blood and gore

I don't find it scary. I just think Grimdark is/looks/sounds badass. It's a bit hard to describe

For example I see a lot of grimdark MLP fan-art where people take those cute little pones and turn them in cyborg-zombie-wizard-spacemarine-killing murder death machines with rocket launchers and I just think "Cool".

Meanwhile everyone else freaks out about it. I don't understand why

Same reason as to why people like horror movies while others can't stand it. I personally wrote a grimdark, and what I believe people like about it is taking something that can never happen in a world like MLP, and corrupt it as much as possible using violence. Though it's not a grimdark by genre, I personally take Conker's Bad Fur Day to be an excellent example of taking adorable creatures… and literally having them killed, blown apart, eaten, and chainsawed right before your eyes.

Another great example is the Happy Tree Friends series…

Last edited Jun 28, 2013 at 11:29PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Cale

Can it be both?

Oh yes. Like 40k for example, swords that are chainsaws, explosive 1-inch bullets, power-fists. But the grimdark comes in the setting. 10,000 years of nothing but war, everyman in humanity, countless trillions, lives in the worst tyranny ever to exist, billions die everyday in the name of a half-dead Emperor, countless Alien Empires teem to destroy it all, an extra-galactic race of aliens in particular ready to literally consume the Galaxy, and to top it all off if they need to quit fighting or demons are going to eat reality. Depressing as fuck.

Cale wrote:

Oh yes. Like 40k for example, swords that are chainsaws, explosive 1-inch bullets, power-fists. But the grimdark comes in the setting. 10,000 years of nothing but war, everyman in humanity, countless trillions, lives in the worst tyranny ever to exist, billions die everyday in the name of a half-dead Emperor, countless Alien Empires teem to destroy it all, an extra-galactic race of aliens in particular ready to literally consume the Galaxy, and to top it all off if they need to quit fighting or demons are going to eat reality. Depressing as fuck.

But its so much fun.

Just to be clear here, are we talking about grimdark reimaginings of otherwise cheery universes (like all the pony gorefics or something,) or grimdark universes as a whole (like The Last of Us or really any survival horror game,) or just grimdark in general?

Well, I guess gritty and dark can just be what some people enjoy. It can be seen as a style just like steampunk or something. As far as stuff being creepy or scary, I do find that something being scary does sometimes make it more interesting (why else would LPers on Youtube do so many horror games?)

Grimdark is silly. It tries to appear mature through gore and edge, but it over 12% of the time it goes so overboard that it is laughable.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!