Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,706 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

The Thread of Intense Questioning (and answers on the side)

Last posted Sep 01, 2013 at 07:17PM EDT. Added Aug 05, 2013 at 07:26PM EDT
35 posts from 20 users

Ask Questions about the world, from serious to absurd. If you have the answers, or your take on what the answer could be, post 'em.

My first questions:

• Why do we make games for ourselves if we have the possibility of losing and feeling even worse?
  • Why do we help others if it could mean harming ourselves?
  • And now for the standard, "everyone asks this" question: Why does life exist? What is our purpose? (keep it civil, guys)

Let the Question thread… BEGIN!

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

Ask Questions about the world, from serious to absurd. If you have the answers, or your take on what the answer could be, post 'em.

My first questions:

• Why do we make games for ourselves if we have the possibility of losing and feeling even worse?
  • Why do we help others if it could mean harming ourselves?
  • And now for the standard, "everyone asks this" question: Why does life exist? What is our purpose? (keep it civil, guys)

Let the Question thread… BEGIN!

• Because humans like to have something to do and keep track of because being bored is worse than feeling bad.
  • Most people don't because it's usually disadvantageous evolutionarily.
  • Because coincidences/because God got bored one day. The technical purpose is to grow up, breed, and die.

What is the actual air speed velocity of an unladen swallow (both the African and European varieties)?

@Cale
Totally, way too much in fact. Just by reading your post, my body shakes in excitement.

Are you bad enough to rescue the president?

@Cale

About as much as I am

@Balloon master

Yes

@Questions

1. Is it necessary for us to hate things purely to have something to hate?
2. Why do people fail to read post dates time and time again?
3. Why do we procrastinate?

Last edited Aug 05, 2013 at 09:08PM EDT

OP's Questions:
1) Personally, making the attempt and failing is better than not having bothered at all. This can extend to anything other than games.
2) This is something that might be a problem for me. I want other people (especially people I actually like) to be happy and sometimes I don't take into account my own happiness. But I don't mind it too much because I honestly like helping other people. It's just who I am as a person.
3) Clearly, our purpose in life is to find The American Dream. It will be a bold account of everything that's right and true in the national character. But only for those with true grit. And we're chock full of that, man!

@Balloon Master
Indeed, I'm a bad enough dude to rescue the president from the clutches of the evil Dragon Ninja.

@BSoD
1. No. One must always possess a valid reason to hate something, but never flaunt one's hatred like some sort of misanthropist.
2. People get excited.
3. Sometimes we just don't feel like getting stuff done, other times we're too intimidated by the things we need to do, to the point that we end up not doing them at all. Also, there are a lot of things in life we may easily get distracted to, luring our attention away from what we originally intend to do.

@ BSoD
1. It is not necessary. Hating something only gives people a feeling of joy to the hater (albeit at the expense of others most of the time.)
2. Because most people are forgetful or don't even realize there is a post date below each post.
3. I actually wondered this myself many times. What I think is that people exaggerate their thoughts on the amount of effort/work they must put into their responsibility, and put it off until it must be done, which gives them a rush motivator to increase their output.

My Question!

Multiverses… are they possible?

@OP:
1. Because we need entertainment.
2: Sociality.
3: Whatever you want it to be.

@Erin:
European: About 24 Mph African: Too little data to find out.

@Cale:
You're cute, but in an ugly cute sort of way.

@BM:
I'm a bad enough dude to Rescue the Ninjas.

@TARDISES
1: That's what is called a scapegoat.
2: People are dumb.
3: People are lazy.

@Mark:
It is entirely possible.

My Questions.
1: When was the last time you saw Her?
2: Science or Magic?
3: Boxers or Briefs?

Last edited Aug 05, 2013 at 09:37PM EDT

@Cap
1. Never
2. Science, I guess?
3. Briefs, personally. Boxers make me feel like I'm wearing nothing.

My questions (obviously not stolen from Y!A):
1. Does spider have puss puss?
2. Want a gay kiss but not gay. Weird or not?
3. Has anyone wore duct tape at a dance to prevent getting an erection?

@Gary
1: Yes, something like that. Doesn't mean you can do a spider though.
2: No. A lot of people have sexual fantasies that are strange. Most people wouldn't even like when the things that happen in their fantasies would happen to them in real life.
3: Never went to a dance.

My question:
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Last edited Aug 06, 2013 at 05:01AM EDT

Viuff, The Ancient Waifumancer wrote:

Answer:
yes

my question
if i build a time machine
and went one day back in time to punch myself would that happend to me on that day before i did it or will it first become a time loop when i do it?

time loop because he'll be mad and punch you which leads to you building an time machine to punch him thus making an paradox.

Can I be in the past while in the present?

@Viuff: Time Travel isn't possible in our understanding of Physics so it's moot.

@Jace: One can consider the past as existing perpetually on a level, in which you are always in the past and present.

@Falcon: yea well ur ugly in an UGLY WAY

Last edited Aug 06, 2013 at 11:28AM EDT

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

You missed the joke, there. The "BONK!" Should have made it obvious.

I bet you don't even know what a dispenser is.

It wasn't a joke, it was a reference. Stop being so exasperating.

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

You missed the joke, there. The "BONK!" Should have made it obvious.

I bet you don't even know what a dispenser is.

i saw it
but i do not play TF2 so if it was more than just basic obvious i may have missed it

Last edited Aug 06, 2013 at 04:45PM EDT

Mr. Plankton wrote:

What is the Krabby Patty Formula, just to be curious?

The Krabby Patty Formula is…
… the sole property of the Krusty Krab and is only to be discussed in part or in whole with its creator Mr. Krabs. Duplication of this formula is punishable by law. Restrictions apply, results may vary.

Well, it seems that's not exactly what you were asking for. I bet this video might help you out.

Now, my questions:

1:Animals can be gay. Does it mean they like buttsecks or what?
2:Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
3: Does a set of all sets contain itself?
4:How do I fly as Demonstration Man?

BSOD:

1. Is it necessary for us to hate things purely to have something to hate?
2. Why do people fail to read post dates time and time again?
3. Why do we procrastinate?

1) I don't see why not. We sometimes go out of our way to make ourselves feel scared or sad for the sake of our own enjoyment, so it wouldn't surprise me if people also have a daily rage-quota to fill.
2) Because people are terrible.
3) If I had to guess, I'd say it's because we're wired to prefer the path of least resistance. It probably goes back to the times in human history where effort directed towards something non-essential could be the difference between starving or surviving the winter.

markhaox14:

Multiverses… are they possible?

It's pretty much impossible to say one way or the other. I once saw a documentary where some guy claimed that the multiverse model could explain certain phenomena in quantum mechanics, but I'm not entirely convinced. It's all speculation at this point.

I also read an argument in one of Hawking's books that suggested that there's no reason that our physical laws should be the only possible way for a universe to work. He argued that at the moment of the big bang, an almost infinite number of universes sprung into parallel existence before diverging in different ways according to the differences in their physical laws. Again, not sure if I'm convinced, but it's a cool idea.

Mike:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Yeah, I did that yesterday. Shit was pretty dope.

Digoxin:

1:Animals can be gay. Does it mean they like buttsecks or what?
2:Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
3: Does a set of all sets contain itself?
4:How do I fly as Demonstration Man?

1) Can't say I'm particularly well-read in the subject of gay animals, but I'd guess it's not that common. I do know that giraffes are ridiculously gay though. Some studies found that about 90% of sexual encounters between giraffes were between two males. They only tend to have sex with the females if they can be certain they're ovulating.
2) See above.
3) I'm going to say no, just in the hope that a math geek will try to prove me wrong.
4) wat

My questions:
1) Someone asks you to be a part of the first human landing on Mars. You'd go down in history as that really awesome guy who first stepped on another planet. The catch is that it's a one-way trip. Would you do it?
2) You're given the chance to magically remove one person from the globe, and also to bring someone back from the dead. Who would they be?
3) How do you know this isn't the Matrix?

1. I would not go to Mars – I may be interested in space but not THAT interested.
2. I honestly don't know who to remove, and I feel that resurrection would do more harm than good.
3. Logic. If there was anything like the Matrix, there would not be enough processing power to run it – especially since time passes and we develop things ourselves. Dwarf Fortress will slow damn near any computer to a near-standstill if a fortress gets complex enough, and that is as close to the Matrix as we have currently developed.

No answers from me, but question:

If you were on the ISS, and you were with some guy who despised you and never showed it, let's say one day you were about to jetpack up towards something to fix it, directly where there is nothing in that direction for, lets say, 40 light years. At the end is an earth like planet with an almost identical space station from the one you are in. Right when you jetpack up, the guy cuts your teather. You are forced to wait 40 years until you reach the other space station. You have an unlimited oxygen food and water supply, how would you pass the time?

Last edited Aug 31, 2013 at 06:27PM EDT

Spirit Coyote wrote:

No answers from me, but question:

If you were on the ISS, and you were with some guy who despised you and never showed it, let's say one day you were about to jetpack up towards something to fix it, directly where there is nothing in that direction for, lets say, 40 light years. At the end is an earth like planet with an almost identical space station from the one you are in. Right when you jetpack up, the guy cuts your teather. You are forced to wait 40 years until you reach the other space station. You have an unlimited oxygen food and water supply, how would you pass the time?

By necroing a bunch of old-ass threads.

Last edited Aug 31, 2013 at 06:46PM EDT

Dr. MEDIC! wrote:

Questions:

a)If a nuisance in the human body called a disease, is a bone fracture a disease?
b)How I lost my medical license?
c)Why I have no idea?

a)nope.avi
b)I HAVE NO IDEA TOO!
c)I HAVE NO IDEA!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!