Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

If there was a website war would KYM be targeted?

Last posted Oct 07, 2013 at 03:25PM EDT. Added Oct 01, 2013 at 09:53PM EDT
26 posts from 19 users

If many of the popular funny websites (e.g. 4chan, 9gag, Memebase, funnyjunk, and tumblr) went to war would KYM be a neutral, or would it be forced to take sides?

Last edited Oct 01, 2013 at 09:54PM EDT

As a documentation site we'd monitor all the shit that would go down, but only people who have accounts on other sites (I.e; Redditors, 4channers, etc) might take sides. I can't speak on their behalf, so it's just a theory.

Accurate representation of KYM in a website war.

Gotta agree with Carnotaur, we will stay away, take some nice pictures and get some info.

Last edited Oct 01, 2013 at 10:06PM EDT

KYM is the internet's equivalent to Swaziland. If a war ever broke out we'll spend most of it gathering info and pics about it then actually fighting. I think the only way KYM will ever brake off their neutrality stand is if some other site attacks us and forces us to join in as an act of self defense. But hey that's what I think, a better question would by what sort of events would lead up to a cyber war that Yor here is theorizing?

I believe we can only properly answer this question if we know the range of influence these websites have.

It is obvious that we have users going to these popular websites for more than just documenting their shenanigans. Some of them will no doubt have some sense of loyalty to their favourite website.

Should it come down to a virtual dickslapping contests, people will be more inclined to directly attack the website they oppose and its community by any means they can think of. This does not rule out, however, that this "war" could leak out to other websites.

Also, Know Your Meme is part of Memebase, or more precisely, the Cheezburger Network. It is safe to say we can get dragged into the storm.

Last edited Oct 02, 2013 at 08:33AM EDT

KYM would definitely try to record the war as it happens but that's not to say it might not get involved or remain on the sidelines.

In fact, trying to note down and pay as much attention to the action as possible will very easily spread the chaos over to KYM. Some passionate people in KYM comments and forum threads come from those other websites in the thick of it, and they will want to swing their axes too. KYM's recording of events will bring it to even more peoples attention and get more people involved

As John pointed out, KYM is part of Cheezeburger and can easily end up being collateral damage to whatever blows are made against Memebase and the Cheezeburger network

Depends. How much are the comment section and JFF sub-forum involved? I don't fear for entries or the site's focus in general, but the comment section and JFF can decide a lot of how this would go.

Last edited Oct 02, 2013 at 01:43PM EDT

blue wrote:

Why would we be targeted anyway?
If KYM would join, it would be better to stay neutral unless attacked. hai der

Because we have a record of all memes. We have the knowledge, and knowledge truly is power. If we were attacked it would be to get at this knowledge and if we joined a side, willingly or not, then KYM would be in even more danger because then the opposing side could decide that if they didn't have this knowledge then nobody will.

Suspended wrote:

Accurate representation of KYM in a website war.

Gotta agree with Carnotaur, we will stay away, take some nice pictures and get some info.

Should 4chan really be that content? That stool is ludicrously runny. That looks like a severe case of dysentery. I wouldn't be surprised if they die from dehydration.

Before Cheezeburger came around we had gotten raided plenty of times. I remember there was one time when we countered a planned "Attack" by shutting off the new account creator.

However, this was mostly by Encyclopedia Dramatica cause they had it out for us. 4chan tried it like, once while I was a user. And there had been a fuzzy compression issue when the idiot saved the attack plan to a JPEG File (if memory serves correctly), ruining that attack entirely.

Last edited Oct 05, 2013 at 04:43AM EDT

Dac wrote:

^
That's not very nice. We are not stupid and illiterate.

The stupid and illiterate people also figured out that the earth goes around the sun, not the other way around (not the first, but corrected everyone in the west). Hitler may be in my avatar, but I'm not an ignorant fuck.

Last edited Oct 07, 2013 at 02:37PM EDT

We have received various attacks from different websites. We probably would have a lot more if it wasn't for the fact that most people don't know that KYM even has a forum.

Last edited Oct 07, 2013 at 03:13PM EDT

AutisticWeeb wrote:

The stupid and illiterate people also figured out that the earth goes around the sun, not the other way around (not the first, but corrected everyone in the west). Hitler may be in my avatar, but I'm not an ignorant fuck.

Stupid stereotypes for dummies.
Americans are fat and ignorant.
Brits have bad teeth.
French smell bad and the women don't shave.
Polish people are dumb.
I don't actually think they are dumb.

Last edited Oct 07, 2013 at 03:20PM EDT

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

I'd like to think that the war would be everyone vs 9gag.

And KYM would assist in wiping them out, then leave the war.

actual representation on what would happen

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!