Forums / Just For Fun

327,726 total conversations in 8,674 threads

+ New Thread


Ex-Bronies Anonymous...

Last posted Oct 16, 2013 at 04:21PM EDT. Added Oct 12, 2013 at 03:28AM EDT
26 conversations with 14 participants

I’ve never seen one of these threads before, and I think KYM needs an Ex-brony discussion thread, I guess?

Just post why you left the fandom. E.g.

I left the fandom because the rest of it started to weird me out.

Oct 12, 2013 at 03:28AM EDT
Quote

Anonymous, huh?

I don’t condone the practice, but maybe you should have made a new account for this thread. Because of whole anonymous thing.

But that’s interesting. Could you go into how the fandom changed? Enumerated list and all that?

Do try to avoid making this flamey.

Oct 12, 2013 at 03:54PM EDT
Quote

I left when it started to be about ponies.

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:28AM EDT

I just don’t understand why people feel the need to announce that they’re leaving a fandom. All the fandom leaving posts I’ve read seem like attempts to outline how “everyone else but me is enjoying the fandom the wrong way!” and they just piss people off. After all I stopped liking Naruto years ago and never bothered to get my 2 reblogs on tumblr out of it.

Last edited Oct 15, 2013 at 10:10AM EDT
Oct 15, 2013 at 10:10AM EDT
Quote

Iamslow wrote:

I just don’t understand why people feel the need to announce that they’re leaving a fandom. All the fandom leaving posts I’ve read seem like attempts to outline how “everyone else but me is enjoying the fandom the wrong way!” and they just piss people off. After all I stopped liking Naruto years ago and never bothered to get my 2 reblogs on tumblr out of it.

It’s anonymous, nobody knows who you are.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:14AM EDT

I don’t see how it’s anonymous, everyone knows who we are. Or at least our kym personas.
Anyways, I just lost interest.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:15AM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

I don’t see how it’s anonymous, everyone knows who we are. Or at least our kym personas.
Anyways, I just lost interest.

What do you mean? Dont you see the anonymous pictures above the anonymous name!

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:33PM EDT

First of all, we had to quit playing God. It didn’t work.

Oct 15, 2013 at 01:56PM EDT
Quote

Back on topic:

I can’t explain the reason. One day, I just didn’t visit any Brony sites anymore. I stopped watching the show every week. I barely even drew ponies on scrap paper anymore.

I was brought into Ponies by some inexplicable force, and that force abruptly let me go.

I don’t know why. Maybe it was the jarring abruptness of “Princess Twilight Sparkle”. Or the thorough staleness of Equestria Girls. I suppose I didn’t want a funny, thoughtful show for nine-year-olds, I wanted a funny, thoughtful show for four-year-olds. I miss fluttershy explaining what hibernation is, I miss a disappointing Gala nearly bringing everyone to tears, and oh hell do I miss “Dear Princess Celestia”.

I like the show. I like the fans. But either the show has changed, or I have. And either way, it’s going to be okay.

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:26PM EDT
Quote

I spent a year in the Bronies’ natural habitat. I learned their dreams, aspirations, their sweaty nerdy scent. Day after day I studied in class with them, and soon the horrors began to show.

I didn’t want to associate myself with that crowd anymore, so I don’t.

Rarity is still the best though.

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:37PM EDT
Quote

Oshare "Stylish" Bones wrote:

I spent a year in the Bronies’ natural habitat. I learned their dreams, aspirations, their sweaty nerdy scent. Day after day I studied in class with them, and soon the horrors began to show.

I didn’t want to associate myself with that crowd anymore, so I don’t.

Rarity is still the best though.

best what? best background pone?

yeah the “true bronies” are a bit 3spoopy5me too it was one thing when it was from 4chan but as soon as EQD took over….Fedoras, Fedoras everywhere. still doesn’t stop me from postin pone though

Oct 15, 2013 at 05:05PM EDT
Quote

^
That’s a good way to put it. I don’t want to be associated with that really. My other “dorky” obsessions ( last airbender, Pokemon, and anime) are things that I have no problem telling people I’m into. You can always find people in any circle who like that shit. Ponies are just too out there. Doesn’t mean I think the show is bad by any means and I like most of the bronies on this site still.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:05PM EDT
Quote

I concur. When I saw that the word brony was becoming tied with the “fat, neckbearded fedora wearing dweeb” stereotype, I decided not to use the label anymore. I think part of what makes ponies “out there” is just the name ‘brony’ and what people will think when they hear it.

I noticed that when you say “I like pones” people think “okay, whatever floats your boat”. But when you say “I’m a brony” people think “is that some kind of cult?”

Even though the stereotype is factually bullshit, it’s a lot of trouble trying to prove otherwise.

If people ask me, I refer to myself as a “pony fan”

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:28PM EDT
Quote

@Derpy
An apple is fine too

But don’t get me wrong, I still rep like hell, but there’s kinds of people who can’t simply enjoy something or productively contribute or overall just be part of it. They become obsessive. And those are the people I met.

The whole neckbeard stereotype was there from the start, and it was charming to fight against it and ignore it, but the bronies I’ve been around just suck all the charm out of it.

Last edited Oct 15, 2013 at 10:43PM EDT
Oct 15, 2013 at 10:43PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

I don’t want to be associated with that really. My other “dorky” obsessions ( last airbender, Pokemon, and anime) are things that I have no problem telling people I’m into. You can always find people in any circle who like that shit. Ponies are just too out there. Doesn’t mean I think the show is bad by any means and I like most of the bronies on this site still.

BSoD wrote:

When I saw that the word brony was becoming tied with the “fat, neckbearded fedora wearing dweeb” stereotype, I decided not to use the label anymore. I think part of what makes ponies “out there” is just the name ‘brony’ and what people will think when they hear it.



I pretty much agree with these two quotes. Personally I never liked the term “brony”, so I dropped the term a long long time ago.

I’ll still keep up with the show though, unless the fourth season turns out to be worse than the third. I’ve mostly been losing interest ever since season 2 came to an end. The majority of the fanbase turning into a cesspool of fedoras, obsessiveness, and NSFW content really makes me want to quit alltogether.

The only thing keeping me on the fandom, is all that good art, and some old friends.

Last edited Oct 16, 2013 at 04:06AM EDT
Oct 16, 2013 at 04:05AM EDT
Quote

this isn’t a very ‘fun’ thread.

shouldn’t this move to general forum? or somehow intergrated into the pony general thread?

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:15AM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

this isn’t a very ‘fun’ thread.

shouldn’t this move to general forum? or somehow intergrated into the pony general thread?

WE ARE NOT BRONIES
WE ARE EX BRONIES
HOW DARE YOU PUT US WITH THOSE SEX MONSTERS

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:16AM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

WE ARE NOT BRONIES
WE ARE EX BRONIES
HOW DARE YOU PUT US WITH THOSE SEX MONSTERS

uuuh… because once a brony you are one forever?

and that’s coming from someone who is just about to leave the fandom too as well,

also, what are sex monsters and why are calling bronies that (i think i know the answer but i still would like to see your explanation

also, my point still stands… i don’t think this thread belongs to JFF considering it’s not very fun

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:51AM EDT
Quote

^
This isn’t the Marines or whatever. Once a brony, always a brony is a silly way to look at it, especially since you immediately contradict yourself by saying you are going to leave the fandom.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:00AM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

uuuh… because once a brony you are one forever?

and that’s coming from someone who is just about to leave the fandom too as well,

also, what are sex monsters and why are calling bronies that (i think i know the answer but i still would like to see your explanation

also, my point still stands… i don’t think this thread belongs to JFF considering it’s not very fun

It’s fun, your just a butthurt Jew sex monster bronie fucker

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:07AM EDT

@ muumi

The majority of the fanbase turning into a cesspool of fedoras, obsessiveness, and NSFW content really makes me want to quit alltogether.

I won’t even hold Rule 34 against them, every fandom has that. It’s just shit like a video making the argument that clopping is an art form and the general weirdness of the fandom. Every brony I’ve seen recently, and I’m sorry to say this, looked like he/she could benefit from a bar of soap. As I said before, many of my favorite posters are bronies ( randomman, verbose, Derpy Vasquez, blue screen, etc.) so I’m sure there are plenty good ones, just the weird ones are too prevalent. Also the show bores me.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:21AM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

^
This isn’t the Marines or whatever. Once a brony, always a brony is a silly way to look at it, especially since you immediately contradict yourself by saying you are going to leave the fandom.

just because i leave the fandom doesn’t mean i stop liking the show or it’s none sexual fan art.

unless you somehow start hating the show you are still a brony… at least according to what i know.

i personally left the fandom because it almost entirly comprised of cloppers and the image galleries are littered with smut…

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:02PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!