Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

308,587 total conversations in 8,639 threads

+ New Thread


KYM Games Discussion Thread

Last posted Dec 17, 2013 at 11:13AM EST. Added Dec 05, 2013 at 04:33PM EST
58 posts from 16 users

Created to divert Top Goat-related comments from the Goat thread, but this thread can be used to discuss the possible creation of other KYM games. If anyone’s still interested in making that dating simulator I suggested, we could discuss that here as well.

Dec 05, 2013 at 04:33PM EST
Quote

I made this in honor of the new KYM game. You may have already seen it, but even so…

Dec 05, 2013 at 08:21PM EST
Quote

Auto Schmodown wrote:

I made this in honor of the new KYM game. You may have already seen it, but even so…

I actually loved that so much that I made it the title screen. Hope you don’t mind. The current background music is also the 8bit Danger Zone you included.

Dec 05, 2013 at 08:30PM EST
Quote

I missed the Ascii Art thread created by DarkErmac, it was really fun. I don’t see DarkErmac anymore, at least I don’t see him anywhere I look. He was a cool guy,

Threads like ‘Ban the user above you’ is being beat down to what seems like forever. Actually, threads that are ‘X user above you’ aren’t fun in any way.

Also, is Goat a thing? Inside joke? People like me don’t understand it.

Dec 05, 2013 at 08:43PM EST
Quote

Weasel wrote:

I missed the Ascii Art thread created by DarkErmac, it was really fun. I don’t see DarkErmac anymore, at least I don’t see him anywhere I look. He was a cool guy,

Threads like ‘Ban the user above you’ is being beat down to what seems like forever. Actually, threads that are ‘X user above you’ aren’t fun in any way.

Also, is Goat a thing? Inside joke? People like me don’t understand it.

It’s an inside joke that started from a few images in the Hentai Quotes section on this site. This thread started around the time the the Goat started getting popular, and I believe someone explains it pretty well on the first page if not the second.

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:02PM EST
Quote

Game Update
I still don’t have a new download for you guys, but I would like to show off that--after nearly three painstaking hours--I finally developed smooth, tile-oriented movement for the Goat, as you can see in this gif.

Right now I’m still working on the massive raging cunt that is smooth, tile-oriented, and map-aware movement for the Rakes and Bloodhogs. Ugh…

added note: ignore the “current yush” and xy-coordinates in that gif. Those were temporarily added while I worked on the Goat movement.

Last edited Dec 05, 2013 at 10:07PM EST
Dec 05, 2013 at 10:05PM EST
Quote

Deltamelon wrote:

I actually loved that so much that I made it the title screen. Hope you don’t mind. The current background music is also the 8bit Danger Zone you included.

I love you.

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:15PM EST
Quote

Dating simulator was brought up in one of my topics also… which lead me to make this gif. I know the KYM RPG went to shit but they aimed much to high. I believe that a dating simulator could be done since not much programming is needed and we can just use still pictures. So its mostly just Art/drawing and writing/plot We have a lot of talent here and im computer savoy and went to school for graphics design so i would be happy to help

Last edited Dec 06, 2013 at 08:33AM EST
Dec 06, 2013 at 08:29AM EST
Quote

Kebab Removal Unit wrote:

dating simulator

Dating… Simulator? How is it even related to KYM?

By ‘dating simulator,’ think something in the realm of Katawa Shoujo or Hatoful Boyfriend. A visual novel with different routes and different characters to end up with. I came up with the idea on a rant in another thread several days ago, and if we could actually gather four or five good writers, several good artists, and some beta-testers that can offer good critique, I would absolutely love such a thing to exist.

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:19AM EST
Quote

Kung Fu Cthulhu wrote:

As for the Top Goat game, look at my High Score and despair.

Here’s a picture of myself after seeing this.

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:25PM EST
Quote

Can we get a sexy mod simulator?

Dec 06, 2013 at 09:45PM EST

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Can we get a sexy mod simulator?

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:51AM EST
Quote

Alrighty everyone, it’s been a week since I started the Top Goat game and I now have second beta version for you guys to try out. Here’s a list of changes ver0.2 has:

  • fired Cheetos now have a 5% chance of awakening a greyed Bloodhog (no Maribelle needed)
  • title screen
  • background music and a couple sound effects
  • increased view size
  • room border
  • increased Nuclear Cheeto spawn chance from 2% to 3.33% when a fired Cheeto hits a Cheeto
  • increased Big Red Cheeto spawn chance from .2% to 1% when a fired Cheeto hits a Nuclear Cheeto
  • when 10 or more Bloodhogs are patrolling, Cheetos begin spawning in place of Blooghogs and Maribelles; Nuclear Cheetos have a 1.11% chance of spawning randomly during this effect
  • secret game mode added
  • no longer receive points for collecting Cheetos
  • Rakes and Bloodhogs now have smooth, map-aware movement

    Click here to download the latest version!
Dec 07, 2013 at 07:20PM EST
Quote

You may want to try compressing something in the game, it’s inflating the file almost 50 MBs. I’d recommend the music.

Nevertheless, can’t wait to play it.

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:01PM EST
Quote

Peacock Roy wrote:

You may want to try compressing something in the game, it’s inflating the file almost 50 MBs. I’d recommend the music.

Nevertheless, can’t wait to play it.

Oh my, I didn’t even notice that. Yeah, that’s over fifteen times larger than the previous version, and it’s probably due to the sound. I’ll try and do something about that for the next version (which will hopefully be out of beta by then).

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:10PM EST
Quote

My God… This version of the game is a huge step from the original! I love it!

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:25PM EST
Quote

OK, here’s some constructive criticism:

The rakes seem to have a bounding box that’s too big, so they can kill you without them even touching your sprite. I’d change this. Otherwise I have no problem with the gameplay.
The music loop at the beginning seems to have a small gap in it. I’m guessing you’re using two different audio files, the beginning of the music and the loop. Try adjusting it by some frames.
The menu music doesn’t loop.
The music itself could probably be compressed or replaced with smaller files, so as not to bloat the .exe and cut down on the initial loading time.
The instructions don’t mention the mechanics behind the bloodhogs, I would mention how they work.

And some suggestions you don’t have to take:

The rakes are a bit silly looking, maybe you could have some better looking graphics there?
Maybe add in Goat-Tan’s body so that she’s not just a head?
Maybe add in a few sound effects, such as an eerie noise when a rake is near by, some “I need blood/take mine” dialouge to the bloodhogs, some noises for when the Cheeto hits things, an 8-bit noise when collecting a Battletoads cartridge, and maybe some other various ones?

Besides these things, it’s good.

Last edited Dec 07, 2013 at 08:40PM EST
Dec 07, 2013 at 08:35PM EST
Quote

Peacock Roy wrote:

OK, here’s some constructive criticism:

The rakes seem to have a bounding box that’s too big, so they can kill you without them even touching your sprite. I’d change this. Otherwise I have no problem with the gameplay.
The music loop at the beginning seems to have a small gap in it. I’m guessing you’re using two different audio files, the beginning of the music and the loop. Try adjusting it by some frames.
The menu music doesn’t loop.
The music itself could probably be compressed or replaced with smaller files, so as not to bloat the .exe and cut down on the initial loading time.
The instructions don’t mention the mechanics behind the bloodhogs, I would mention how they work.

And some suggestions you don’t have to take:

The rakes are a bit silly looking, maybe you could have some better looking graphics there?
Maybe add in Goat-Tan’s body so that she’s not just a head?
Maybe add in a few sound effects, such as an eerie noise when a rake is near by, some “I need blood/take mine” dialouge to the bloodhogs, some noises for when the Cheeto hits things, an 8-bit noise when collecting a Battletoads cartridge, and maybe some other various ones?

Besides these things, it’s good.

Thank you for the pointers, but let me try and address the ones that I can:

  • The rakes’ bounding boxes were actually increased substantially, though this was done because of reasons regarding their movement. I was hoping this wouldn’t be an issue, but if you’re bringing it up then I need to do something about it.
  • I am aware of the small gap between the music start and the actual music; every time I start editing the game again I forget about tweaking it.
  • I intentionally made the title screen music not loop; I didn’t feel it was particularly necessary.
  • You make a good point about mentioning bloodhogs in the instructions

  • This was intially going to be a throwaway game, but now that I’m putting this much time and effort into it, I think the final version will have custom sprites that will look much better
  • The current amount of sound effects aren’t the final amount. I only added, like, three, and am just working on going through my entire Commodore64 folder to find good sounds (I also need to replace the sound when one gets a SRJ part). I was also working on making sounds that will hopefully have distance-dependent volume for when a bloodhog kills a rake, when a rake is nearby, and perhaps even when a SRJ part spawns.
Dec 07, 2013 at 08:59PM EST
Quote

Deltamelon wrote:

Thank you for the pointers, but let me try and address the ones that I can:

  • The rakes’ bounding boxes were actually increased substantially, though this was done because of reasons regarding their movement. I was hoping this wouldn’t be an issue, but if you’re bringing it up then I need to do something about it.
  • I am aware of the small gap between the music start and the actual music; every time I start editing the game again I forget about tweaking it.
  • I intentionally made the title screen music not loop; I didn’t feel it was particularly necessary.
  • You make a good point about mentioning bloodhogs in the instructions

  • This was intially going to be a throwaway game, but now that I’m putting this much time and effort into it, I think the final version will have custom sprites that will look much better
  • The current amount of sound effects aren’t the final amount. I only added, like, three, and am just working on going through my entire Commodore64 folder to find good sounds (I also need to replace the sound when one gets a SRJ part). I was also working on making sounds that will hopefully have distance-dependent volume for when a bloodhog kills a rake, when a rake is nearby, and perhaps even when a SRJ part spawns.

Sounds good. With the movement issue, I’d suggest making an invisible object that spawns whenever a rake spawns and follows it around. This object would be the size of the rake, and would be harmful if touched. The rake’s current bounding box would stay the same, but the rake object would not be able to hurt Goat-Tan.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:08PM EST
Quote

Update on previous post since I can’t edit it anymore, apparently something in the script went wrong and that whole “cheetos spawn in place of bloodhogs and maribelles after you have 10 or more bloodhogs patrolling” isn’t going on at all. On a side note, I also reached my highest (legit) score of 3910. And yes, I definitely need to do something about those bounding boxes.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:25PM EST
Quote

Deltamelon wrote:

By ‘dating simulator,’ think something in the realm of Katawa Shoujo or Hatoful Boyfriend. A visual novel with different routes and different characters to end up with. I came up with the idea on a rant in another thread several days ago, and if we could actually gather four or five good writers, several good artists, and some beta-testers that can offer good critique, I would absolutely love such a thing to exist.

If you are serious about the whole dating sim thing, I could offer my services. I might be a terrible artist, but I’m a semi-decent writer.

Last edited Dec 07, 2013 at 09:46PM EST
Dec 07, 2013 at 09:31PM EST
Quote

CrouchingSloth wrote:

If you are serious about the whole dating sim thing, I could offer my services. I might be a terrible artist, but I’m a semi-decent writer.

I’d probably like to help with writing as well, and maybe planning out the different branches, or whatever people will let me do.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:47PM EST
Quote

So… In regards to a KYM dating game I would totally be down for helping out with:

1.) The music (though I wouldn’t want to be the only one writing it)
2.) The writing. You remember I really like writing semi-serious erofic, after all.

Not the best at either, but I love doing both. Just sayin’.

Last edited Dec 08, 2013 at 12:26AM EST
Dec 08, 2013 at 12:05AM EST
Quote

Alright, looks like the dating simulator is picking up steam! I will mention that, if we get a group together, there’s no way in hell I’m spearheading it. We need to find someone that can direct a group in the right direction; I’m such a slacker and procrastinator that I’d be better suited for “executive director” or something, but I would gladly beta-test the product. At the moment, finding good writers comes before finding good artists, so if we could find a few more people and perhaps have a discussion in a chatroom or Skype sometime that’d be good. I dunno about the rest of you though, but I have finals in college right now and really shouldn’t even be working on the Top Goat game, much less this. But that aside, yeah, let’s effing do this. We have a game, we’re apparently getting an animated series; a dating simulator will be the icing on the cake.

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:38PM EST
Quote

ok well for starters we can get some art going. If we use the big 6 (which would be great since it would be 3 guys 3 girls) Chetto, SRJ, I need blood team (do they have names?) KYM-tan and Goat. So…..I was thinking we could start out with some drawings of them doing different reactions/emotions…. example below…. maybe some backgrounds and locations also

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:58PM EST
Quote

Peacock Roy wrote:

Shouldn’t the story be decided before the backgrounds are designed?

true that..then just character mock ups for now then

Last edited Dec 08, 2013 at 10:45PM EST
Dec 08, 2013 at 10:44PM EST
Quote

One thing that I was wondering about the dating sim, is the player going to choose one of the characters to play as or are we going to have a completely new protagonist that is tasked with fondling romancing the various characters?

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:07AM EST
Quote

CrouchingSloth wrote:

One thing that I was wondering about the dating sim, is the player going to choose one of the characters to play as or are we going to have a completely new protagonist that is tasked with fondling romancing the various characters?

good question. because if we have to pick from 6 characters we would have to make ALL possable outcomes for ALL characters

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:41AM EST
Quote

Another question we need to consider is that, if we make a brand new protagonist character, should we have a dual-gender option considering there are three male and three female choices? Otherwise, if the protagonist is always the same gender, then half the routes will always be homosexual (not that there’s anything wrong with that). It just doesn’t seem “fair” if half will always be heterosexual and half will always be homosexual.

Also, most sims have characters beyond the romanceable ones. I think that the best plan of action to insert other characters is to use users on KYM, ie a mod as a teacher or something.

And if we’re using both bloodhogs (Jake and Maribelle, I believe are the names), what is their relationship to each other? Are they siblings? Perhaps if you don’t romance one then later on they become a couple? Do they even know each other at the start of the game? Actually, a good question to also consider is “what’s the relationship between ALL six of these characters before you the protagonist enters the picture?”

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:39AM EST
Quote

Jake and Maribelle can be brother and sister

Great idea with users being 3rd party characters

2 protagonists would be best

And if we are playing our own characters then we should have at least some input on the writing of that character as to give them the personal flare of yourself

Dec 09, 2013 at 10:15AM EST
Quote

well im getting ichin to start something…and the 2 protagonists is a good start….Lets throw some ideas around on how they will look, age, attitude and stuff so i can start some mock ups.

and lets pick a name also

Last edited Dec 09, 2013 at 10:53AM EST
Dec 09, 2013 at 10:50AM EST
Quote

Been without anything to do for a while, so I though about doing another NatRP. Probably a Sci-Fi themed one. Only problem is I’m not terribly sharp with maps, though I did think about getting everyone to use It’s Full Of Stars! for it.

Thoughts.

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:51AM EST
Quote

lol i have had all day to work on this yet no thoughts?…Lets get some info on our protagonists going.

Come on guys…lets start this!

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:54PM EST
Quote

did this 4 starters…as 2 motivate…when we start figuring it out ill start to add on to her

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:04PM EST
Quote

Ok then.

Name: Kay Y. Emm
Age: 24
Height: 5’9"
Weight – 137 lbs.
Hometown: New York City, New York

Her hair is dark blue, her eyes are gray, and she and often clothing in those same colors. She also probably wears glasses.

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:44PM EST
Quote

Well this is a dating simulator after all, so we could make her wear a stereotypical Japanese school girl outfit, but it would be cliched as hell.

Last edited Dec 10, 2013 at 12:40AM EST
Dec 10, 2013 at 12:40AM EST
Quote

ya i was about to do that but i went a different way. And since her name is KYM related i figured we could make her KYM-Tans sister. Plus that could make for some interesting story set ups.

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:07AM EST
Quote

I approve.

Doesn’t really matter of my opinion, but I approve.

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:06AM EST
Quote

Cale wrote:

Been without anything to do for a while, so I though about doing another NatRP. Probably a Sci-Fi themed one. Only problem is I’m not terribly sharp with maps, though I did think about getting everyone to use It’s Full Of Stars! for it.

Thoughts.

While everyone is playing with something made to continue an unfunny joke, and a…dating simulator? I’m down for another NatRP, those are fun.

I have lots of fun playing around with thought out and well designed forum games like the NatRP, they are really enjoyable.

Last edited Dec 10, 2013 at 04:02AM EST
Dec 10, 2013 at 04:00AM EST
Quote

Ox Doxon wrote:

ya i was about to do that but i went a different way. And since her name is KYM related i figured we could make her KYM-Tans sister. Plus that could make for some interesting story set ups.

So then, what about the male character? As far as naming conventions, it’s pretty hard to beat “Kay,” but I dunno maybe “Calem” or “Kale” could sorta work. What’s his relation to KYM-tan? Can Kay and Kale exist in this universe at the same time, or does one always take place of the other? (Also, while I have no problem with incest route, some people may very well take offense to it. I wouldn’t know because I’m so used to seeing not backlash against such, but you never know).

And Weasel, while I completely understand your not liking of the Goat (it is kinda justified since back when it first started there were like only four people that kept making things about it), the reason I’m getting so into this is because it allows me to make content for my community. I know back when I was a larger part of the brony community (I’m kinda on the outskirts of that fandom atm) I would put my talents towards pony-related stuff; I enjoyed it and other people enjoyed it too. It’s the same principle here. I enjoy these injokes, other people enjoy them, and we have several people who’d like to work together and make some games, so why not make them about those injokes? shrug It’s fun, I guess.

Last edited Dec 10, 2013 at 10:33AM EST
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:31AM EST
Quote

Cale wrote:

Been without anything to do for a while, so I though about doing another NatRP. Probably a Sci-Fi themed one. Only problem is I’m not terribly sharp with maps, though I did think about getting everyone to use It’s Full Of Stars! for it.

Thoughts.

CALE ask Syndic for map help. He makes them for fun :u

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:57AM EST
Quote

Also I would love to design some characters for this. I need a reason to draw, or something.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:59AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!